Scream In The Rainforest

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

#1 vave82

The Fairy with an Attitude

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

I was just reading through this part of the forum and I thought I would share something my husband told me. My father-in-law is an entomologist and he often heads out at night in the middle of nowhere to run his light and study/collect the insects that are attracted by it. My husband is not an entomologist, however he inherited an interest in the subject and since he was a child, he followed his dad out and about in his adventures. What follows, happened about 10 years ago, my husband was in his early 20s back then (I didn't know him yet) and he is a skeptic. He doesn't believe in anything paranormal whatsoever. There is just this one episode though, that he cannot quite explain what happened. It was just another night out running the light and hubby and his dad were in a location in the middle of the rainforest in the Australian Tropics. After a couple of hours, my husband walked about 100 metres further in the rainforest to get to a creek and see if there was any interesting fish in it. He just got there when he heard an ear piercing scream. Now, my husband has bean heading to the Australian Bush since he was a child and thanks to his job, his dad's hobby and the fact he is a keen hunter, he has a lot of hands on experience about local flora, fauna, etc. He heard screams from other animals, including under stress and what not before and he swears that the scream he had heard that night doesn't match with anything he has ever heard in his life. It was high pitched, blood curdling and loud, about 50 metres away. All he had was his torch so he couldn't see anything unless it was in his immediate vicinity but he said he wasn't sure he wanted to see whatever produced that scream. He doesn't get scared often, but he said that on that occasion, he ran (literally ran!) back to camp and both him and his dad packed everything up in a hurry (his dad heard that as well) and drove home without saying a word. To this day, he has no clue to what it may have been. He knows the noise from local birds and other animals and was nothing like it, there are no monkeys here either. It is said that we have some sort of red hairy man in the thick rainforest behind the city where we live (it's very remote and goes for hundreds of square kilometres and up the mountains) and this 'legend' comes from the local aborigines, who to this day go nowhere near certain areas. I wonder if behind any legends there are some elements of truth? What do you guys think??

Edited by vave82, 23 November 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#2 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:53 AM

LOL it would have been very scary and I feel for him. I myself haven't heard of the red hairy man, interesting all the same, thanks for sharing :)
My Signature
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:03 AM

You No No problem :) :) I am actually European but have been in Australia for many years - I am learning a lot of new stuff myself :D !! My husband always tells me he will never forget that scream. Definitely not an incentive for me to go camping he he.

#4 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:10 AM

Actually, I was reading theories on how a type of hominid developed differently 'creating' another parallel specie looking similar to humans, but more primitive, smaller and hairier which settled on the Island of Flores in Indonesia (which was attached to Australia ages ago). So the theory is that some of them remained on this part of the sea and that's what is the red hairy man. I am far from being a scientist so apologies for the 'rough' explanation haha!! But I remember watching this documentary and it was really interesting :)

#5 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:06 AM

....and I am in a similar place where the 'scream' happened right now! I am here camping with the kids, my husband and his dad close to a forest which is connected to the area I described above. Lucky we get a bit of reception thanks to the up-high location! Hopefully nothing happens, but being here still sends a little chill down my spine 😀

#6 Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:22 AM

View Postvave82, on 23 November 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

...  He knows the noise from local birds and other animals and was nothing like it ...  

The chances that some animal or bird that is "not local" might be moving temporarily through the area is very real. We have had at least three very rare birds in our area here ( eastern Canada ) this fall, and several others over the last couple years. One was even an exotic bird from the jungles of Mexico. Most likely he was just hearing a temporary visitor that he was unfamiliar with, or a regular that was making a sound it doesn't often make. Some animals can also scream in a way that you have never heard before when they are being eaten.

#7 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

That story gave me chills!  Very interesting!
My Signature
Posted Image

#8 jlemich

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Playing with my dogs.
    Drinking wine LOL
    Learning more about
    the paranormal...

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

Very interesting story ! I love stories like this...

#9 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the comments! Just read them, I am a bit late with replies :p

Snowlords, he certainly hoped it would be some sort of 'not local bird' passing by!! My father in law has over 40 years experience and knowledge of Australian and South East Asian fauna, including insects and birds (he travelled in all the areas extensively for research and scientific reasons) and I do believe him when he says that it was truly an unknown sound to him. And here in Australia there are many insects and birds (spiders included) that produce strange noises, but that was definitely something else, seems to have come from something bigger than a bird or anything else that is normally found in the jungle. And while I agree that this could be debunked somehow, it still gives me the chills hearing it from two people who live and breathe the great outdoors in Australia and have very scientific minds :) :)

#10 Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:25 AM

I also do understand the feelings that can be created from hearing such an unknown sound in a familiar place, although at a much milder level than your father in law. Since I wrote my comments above I have had a slightly similar, but of course much less intense, experience while out on a nature photography excursion. I was at a local bird sanctuary with a friend who is a professional veternarian and one of the head people of the local nature society. A lifetime nature and bird expert who has been helping me identify and learn about the birds and other wildlife and nature that I am spending so much time taking pictures of lately.

While walking the trails we suddenly heard a bird calling that he didn't recognize. This immediately put us into "rare bird alert!" mode since, as I also mentioned in my comments above, we had been having several rare bird sightings in the area around that time. This induced a flurry of action as cameras and binoculars were brought to the ready, and created visions of rare bird postings on the local nature sites that would generate intense reaction ( it's surprising how intense it can actually get ) among the birding groups in the area.

This new sounding bird circled us for almost twenty minutes as we tried our best to get a sighting of it and also a picture for direct evidence. Try as he might my naturalist friend could not identify the sound of it's call as we were going through this, but sadly our building excitement soon disappeared as the bird finally decided to show itself to us. It turned out to be just a very common natural resident of the area, and we still have no definite explanation for why it sounded so different that it could not be identified that way. But at least I did finally get the picture.  :)

#11 JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,189 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

Creepy, Creepy and more creepy... I would have ran too!

It would be pretty amazing to catch it on an audio device, not only to have but to share with others that frequent the area. Are there groups that explore that region regularly? If so, it would be worth sharing with them... they might have similar stories to share. And If so, I bet they ran too!

#12 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

Snowlord, I truly wonder how that bird made a different sound?! I would have been frustrated after thinking I was about to witness something special and then... ah! What a bummer :) But as you said, at least you got a photo out of it :) In my instance, I actually TRULY hope that there is a simple explanation behind what my hubby and his dad heard. The thought of having 'something' lurking in the jungle behind us makes me a little uneasy... especially because it's all one piece of jungle that runs west of the city, along the mountain range.

Jim, the area is quite unexplored! It's all part of State Forest, the road that my husband and father in law took is 4WD only as it's not sealed and there are a couple of river crossings. At the end, there is a locked gate and unless you have a reason to go there, you can't have the keys. My father in law has access due to scientific research reasons, and the track after a few kms is all overgrown and disappears in the jungle. I definitely would not go (not only for the reason above, but also because of the giant bugs, snakes and the like!!!), but I am hoping to find people from the area with some stories to tell!

#13 SeCRETofTheForest

Apport

• GS Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:08 PM

vave - your husband might be interested in the Sasquatch Chronicles podcast as the eyewitnesses they interview often talk about hearing scary and powerful screams. On a couple episodes (can't remember which ones though) they've played some vocalizations that people have recorded. They also sometimes discuss screams and other weird sounds that known animals can make. The show is based in the states and pretty much all the witnesses are from the states, but there's a few shows with people who've had encounters in other parts of the world as well including Australia.

On Episode 52, at 24:55 of the show, there's an interview with an Australian man who had an encounter with what he said was a very large brown/red hairy creature that seems to fit the profile of what are called Yowies down there. Here's the link...

http://www.sasquatch...owie-encounter/

#14 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

Oh wow, SeCRETofTheForest, thank you for posting this! I have just listened to your link and in particular the account of the Australian man - my husband did joke about what we call here the "red hairy man' or Yowie when he was telling me his encounter. It was too dark for him to see, but when he first heard the bushes moving, he thought it might have been a wild pig as there is nothing else as big in the jungle that can move vegetation in that kind of way. But then it sounded much bigger and fast even to be a large wild pig, then the 'scream' confirmed it wasn't (he hunts pigs, so knows their noises).

I will get him to have a listen to the link too when he is back, it's incredibly fascinating. I am aware there are certain areas on the mountains west of here where local aboriginals refuse to go to this day. Makes you think!

#15 Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:21 AM

View Postvave82, on 11 August 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

...  I definitely would not go (not only for the reason above, but also because of the giant bugs, snakes and the like!!!) ...

Mmmm ... that is why I would go!  Of course with a real wilderness like that I might not make it back out again.

#16 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

Haha, fair point Snowlord! I am so curious yet... I like to chicken out :p

#17 kevinscan

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    Friends
    Horror & Sci-fi
    A good mystery
    Star Wars
    Hiking

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

I've heard screams that sounded  like humans when I used to go hunting  at night in my youth, some of them where Rabbits, Foxes and even Goats.
They scared us at the time, so I know how he felt.
I'm not saying that what he heard , but just my experience.
My Signature
Posted Image

"Ghosts are not conscious entities, but emotional energy recorded in matter"

Sir Oliver Lodge

#18 vave82

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

View Postkevinscan, on 12 August 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

I've heard screams that sounded  like humans when I used to go hunting  at night in my youth, some of them where Rabbits, Foxes and even Goats.
They scared us at the time, so I know how he felt.
I'm not saying that what he heard , but just my experience.

Kevinscan, I can only imagine! And in all honesty, I hope that's what they heard too!!! I truly think that in the jungle at night every sound seems louder and scarier than what it actually is. Have you always been in South Australia?

#19 kevinscan

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    Friends
    Horror & Sci-fi
    A good mystery
    Star Wars
    Hiking

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:21 AM

Yes vave82, I've always lived in South Australia.

And yes it was scary at the time until I learnt what was making the sound as I got older.
My Signature
Posted Image

"Ghosts are not conscious entities, but emotional energy recorded in matter"

Sir Oliver Lodge

#20 SeCRETofTheForest

Apport

• GS Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:06 AM

the full account in this thread rules out wild pigs and any other animal of equal size or smaller...

vave's husband said that the way it was moving the vegetation, it sounded much bigger, and also faster, than a large wild pig. If he's an avid outdoorsman and hunter with a lot of experience in the forest and hunting pigs, I trust his observation.

it sounds like both these men spend a lot of time in the bush for either scientific research or hunting (and do so in some remote locations), so I don't imagine these are men who spook easily. If, with their combined experience, both heard a scream that was unfamiliar to them (which neither could place with a known animal nor identify as a person) + the husband attributed this scream to what he heard moving around (which sounded to him to be larger and faster than a large wild pig)... well... at that point you're running out of options as to what this was.

going by what vave has shared here, we can say this was something that was larger and faster than a wild pig, with a scream (that again, the husband says was not the sound of a pig) which made it obvious to two experienced outdoorsman that it was time for them to leave. Whatever this was, it made them aware of it's presence and I'd say it let them know they were unwanted (and they got the hint).

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com