#21 Old Guy

Old Guy

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE(Sacred_Oak @ Jun 3 2010, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aren't you supposed to be the "arch skeptic"?

I'm offended by that remark.

I thought I was the Arch Skeptic!
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.
||||||^
If you're not skeptical, you're in denial.

#22 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE(Sacred_Oak @ Jun 3 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My thinking behind it is that "ghost children" do not draw with physical crayons, period.

This person has only one post here and it's this picture with claims that it was produced by a "ghost child" with a box of crayons.

I think whoever posted this is trying to play some sort of game with us.

Aren't you supposed to be the "arch skeptic"?

Well, that title was bestowed upon me by a “grateful” member that I “helped,” but I have taken a liking to it. smile.gif

I know that people like to think of skeptics as rude naysayers, but that is a misconception.  True skeptics are open minded critical thinkers that are willing to consider all the possibilities.  I can listen to this member's story without feeling the need to immediately decide whether I believe it or not.  You will note that I never did express an opinion on the veracity of the story.

For the record, I find the story to be pretty incredible and would need to see some good evidence before I accepted it as 100% fact. However, this member has posted their story, and it does not cost me or the forum anything if I keep that to myself.  

So ghost children can't draw with crayons at all!?  Has that been proven? There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that ghosts can move physical objects.  Actually, I would tend to agree with you, but I am willing to keep an open mind on the subject.  I don’t like to just dismiss claims without giving the person a chance to produce evidence.

It is a rash judgment to assume this member is lying simply because they are new and the story seems farfetched.  It is not a simple choice between truth or lie. There is also the possibility that the poster has been fooled by their friends or circumstances, or is otherwise mistaken….in which case we will have called an honest person a liar.  That is not the type of behavior we like to promote at GS.

As for labeling someone a “drive-by,” it is not possible in this case.  There is no denying that sort of thing happens.  Some people only join this forum to try to fool us, or troll us, or they post and forget, or something else.  In this case however, the new member was being flamed as dishonest right out of the box.  If that happened to you, would you come back?  Maybe, or maybe not.

I figure it that every member here deserves to be treated in a friendly and courteous manner right from the start.  It is a fact that at one point on this forum, everybody had only one post to their name.  I do not think that is a good reason to be rude to people.  If so, what is the cutoff point for when people begin to be treated like a “real” member?  What is we set it at 25 posts?  Should it be Ok to treat everyone with a post count of less than 25 like they are potential liars?  I do not think so.

I will close with this to Jeff98177:  
Jeff, Please feel welcome to come back on and elaborate on your account or defend yourself if you wish.  I hope you can understand why people that do not know you would find your story difficult to accept without any evidence.  

Regards, Canis

#23 Old Guy

Old Guy

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(CaniswalensisGStudy @ Jun 4 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is a rash judgment to assume this member is lying simply because they are new and the story seems farfetched.

I agree and submit that there has been a rash of rash assupmtions of late. If we are to assume anything (and in the absense of any specific request), it should be that the person either posted something in which they believe, or that they posted it because they don't know what to make of it and is merely soliciting feedback. Of course making those assumption tends to get me into trouble. But I'm a big boy and I can take my knocks. I an also admit when I'm wrong.

Having said that, posting a claim about something as potentially exciting as regular visits from a ghost that draws pictures, *might* warrant a follow-up visit to answer anticipated questions. Unless s/he is busy signing contracts with the Discovery Channel. ;-)

Wanna trade titles?
||||||^

#24 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(Old Guy @ Jun 4 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having said that, posting a claim about something as potentially exciting as regular visits from a ghost that draws pictures, *might* warrant a follow-up visit to answer anticipated questions. Unless s/he is busy signing contracts with the Discovery Channel. ;-)

A reasonable assumption! smile.gif

QUOTE(Old Guy @ Jun 4 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wanna trade titles?

Sorry, you will have to irritate someone into bestowing your own catchy nickname on you like I did. smile.gif

#25 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

Playing Devil's Advocate here...

Assuming that this picture WAS drawn by a ghost or related entity:

It is quite the catch.  Many ghosts, in the traditional sense of the word, could not have the energy to create something of this caliber, especially it being interrupted, and then finishing.  It would also be rare for this little boy ghost to leave his 'home' and follow you, but then return at will.  That sort of sends up red flags because it doesn't really follow any perceived pattern of ghostly activity.

Note, this isn't MY idea, but it is one that often pops up in such matter...but it is sometimes believed that entities with not-so-nice intentions (some may call them demons) can mimic another being.   For whatever reason, these beings like to manifest in the form of children.  Perhaps they feel that is a form that will gain the trust and sympathy of those who are dealing with it.

Since it doesn't seem like there are any other signs that this would be the case, I wouldn't dwell over it...just proceed with caution.  And, as my team's historical research manager, the first thing I'd do behind setting up cameras in as a controlled setting as possible, would be to do some research on the history of the home and property.  See if there is anything linking a young boy to the property, or even the family that lives there now.  You might want to even delve into your OWN background to see if there are any connections as to why this thing would be taking such an interest in you.
October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#26 Old Guy

Old Guy

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(CaniswalensisGStudy @ Jun 4 2010, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, you will have to irritate someone into bestowing your own catchy nickname on you like I did. smile.gif

I don't know how or why, but it would seem that I'm working on that in haste.
||||||^

#27 408nate08

408nate08

GhostStudy Artist

• GS Member
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Music, Criminology, Traveling, and of course, the paranormal.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Well, if a ghost really did draw this, it can do a better job than I can... ashamed0002.gif

Edited by 408nate08, 04 June 2010 - 11:09 AM.

#28 Roxstar

Roxstar

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, ghost and after life research, family, music, science, video games. I am mostly into EVP but also love to use spirit boxes and other forms of communication. It's a true passion of mine, more than a hobby.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

I think that writing someones name in tri-colors calls for QUITE an intelligent spirit. The next phase may even render such amazing miracles as writing down the lottery numbers or predicting the next apocalypse. I would get a camera and a team asking questions... STAT. And old guy... good luck with your "name searching" adventure... if I had to choose one for you, it might be pre-pro or The Unbiased Protagonist. smile.gif All in fun of course.

Edited by Roxstar, 04 June 2010 - 11:22 AM.

"What Scares You, Masters You."

-UNKNOWN-

#29 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

I just saw a video by the OP (or someone with the same sn) showing alleged manipulation of a radio by a ghost...

I know the OP is here right now, lol.  Is is the same entity as the one that is said to have drawn the picture?

#30 Jeff98177

Jeff98177

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Hey guess what, it's me again... The reason I haven't been here the past few days is work obligations, also I'm leaving town this upcoming weekend (going to visit the house where the ghost lives for a couple of weeks). I'm not sure how often I'll be online between June 6-19 but I'll do my best to visit here when I can.

As I've said, I don't blame any of you one bit for being skeptical. And far from being a "drive by" poster, I've been visiting this site for years and have always been interested in ghosts, and come back from time to time hoping for new ghost pictures, although that's dried up as of late. But there's always this forum.

The picture that was left for me was done under controlled conditions. I cannot stress this enough: during the half-hour or so that it took for the picture to be done, no one went near the kitchen, no one went downstairs, no one even entered the house. I simply can't explain it any more than that.

I have my video camera and a half-dozen 2-hr. tapes and am planning to set it up and aim it at the table. But it seems he can affect that as well; when I was there last year, we were sitting around the table talking and I was taping when all of a sudden the (fully charged) camera powered itself off. A second or so later, the radio came on. So there's no question that he can manipulate other electronic devices.

What I don't understand is some of the statements made about ghosts here. They can do this, they can't do that. Seriously, how can you be so certain? One day I asked the ghost number-related questions dealing with me, personally, and the volume went up or down to the exact number every time. (The volume only goes up to 30 so I had to pick my questions carefully.) I'd purposely left a baseball jersey in my living room before I left, and asked what the number was on the back of the jersey. The volume went to 19 - the correct number. So he's either been here or he's a mind reader. What other explanations are there? He took a wild guess?  th_sarcastic_blum.gif

Finally, I'm not playing games. I'm 47 years old and don't do that. So the previous post was my first post, so what? Everyone has to start somewhere. Well, off to finish packing (well, okay, START packing)...

#31 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(LadyNBlack @ Jun 4 2010, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just saw a video by the OP (or someone with the same sn) showing alleged manipulation of a radio by a ghost...

I know the OP is here right now, lol. Is is the same entity as the one that is said to have drawn the picture?

Can you share that Video Lady?
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#32 Old Guy

Old Guy

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Roxstar @ Jun 4 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... The Unbiased Protagonist. smile.gif All in fun of course.

I LIKE that!

I think...
||||||^

#33 Old Guy

Old Guy

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Jeff98177 @ Jun 4 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, how can you be so certain?

A very good question. Unfortunately, neither you nor I can answer it. Nor can anyone here. Yet.

||||||^

#34 Roxstar

Roxstar

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, ghost and after life research, family, music, science, video games. I am mostly into EVP but also love to use spirit boxes and other forms of communication. It's a true passion of mine, more than a hobby.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(Old Guy @ Jun 4 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I LIKE that!

I think...

It fits you smile.gif It's a good thing

"What Scares You, Masters You."

-UNKNOWN-

#35 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(BlueAngel @ Jun 4 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you share that Video Lady?

I would prefer not to post something of the OP's without their permission, but if you do a search for his SN, you'll find it.

#36 ~=IKON=~

~=IKON=~

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong because then this post won't make due.

Wasn't one of the main projects from Ghoststudy (or the main person running the site along with his female friend) when they were putting out paper with questions and them being answered with written answers?  And wasn't this done for a few years with many different people?  And I'm talking about long explanations, not just a few words here and there.

So if people were believing that was happening, then how come we can't believe that this could have been drawn by a ghost?  I can't say for sure this was done that way, but for a while this was being done on the Ghoststudy site itself.  I don't expect the newbs to remember this.    

Ghost Investigator: 1994-Present
One day your life will flash before your eyes.  Make sure it's worth watching.
If something is 99% impossible, there is that 1% chance it could happen.
If you wake up in the morning and you feel no pain, you probably died sometime in the night

#37 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(Jeff98177 @ Jun 4 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I don't understand is some of the statements made about ghosts here. They can do this, they can't do that. Seriously, how can you be so certain?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I honestly don't think anyone spoke with premiere authority on the subject...and with the exception of a small few, no one said that a ghost couldn't do one thing or another.  Rather, it is RARE.  It is rare for it to occur, and its even more rare to get any sort of tangible evidence in its favor.  I've been seriously pursuing paranormal research for over ten years, but have been reading and studying anecdotes since grade school, and I can honesty say that I've only come across very few instances of an alleged ghost having that much physical interaction.

If you feel the need to prove to others the existence of your little buddy, you do have an advantage.  From what you've presented, he seems to do whatever you tell him; just tell him not to play with the camera and let you film him doing whatever task you ask.

#38 Sacred_Oak

Sacred_Oak

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(CaniswalensisGStudy @ Jun 4 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...It is a rash judgment to assume this member is lying simply because they are new and the story seems farfetched...

It's rational, not rash.

And I'll have to see the video before I believe it, and I don't even know if I'd believe it then -- video can be faked.

Jeff, age is irrelevant to legitimacy on the internet.  

I don't mean to be rude or offensive, but to post what looks like a child's doodling and expect that people will buy that it was done by a ghost is offensive to my intelligence.

#39 Lil

Lil

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

Roxstar I agree a lot of rude people and it is not called for that said hopefully this doesn't sound rude. I agree we need more proof, I believe that this can happen but like anything else there has to be something to back it up and I hope Jeff proves it is happening. If I believed everything I was told/read I would probably own swamp land somewhere.
A memory lasts forever.
Never does it die.
True friends stay together.
And never say goodbye.
Anonymous

#40 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(Sacred_Oak @ Jun 4 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's rational, not rash.

Nope, not rational.... and I will explain why, not just make a simple assertion, like you have.  (Nice sounding line, though smile.gif )
At the time of the original post, we had three possibilities:
1. The new member is relating events that acutally happened.
2. The new member is relating events that they honestly believed happened, but did not.
3. The new member is knowingly relating events that never happened.

For the sake of argument, lets toss out #1, because we have seen no evidence for it yet. (sorry jeff, dems da breaks wink.gif )
So we are left with #2 & #3, both of which were valid possibilities.  Whatever any given person's subjective estimate of the validity of each of these possibilities, there was not enough information to choose one over the other.  The circumstances as described at the time were to vague to rule out an honest mistake or Jeff having been tricked by his buds.  Thus, choosing one over the other is irrational.  

And since we couldn't rationally choose one, it makes since to play it cool, give jeff the benifit of the doubt, and wait for more info.  Also choosing the other course and insulting Jeff with accusations could very well have led to him taking that information elsewere, making that choice doubly irrational.  Luckily, jeff seems to be the thick skinned type. smile.gif

And I'll have to see the video before I believe it, and I don't even know if I'd believe it then -- video can be faked.

This is reasonable, and I am with you on this.  I have long felt that people are wasting their time gathering evidence with cameras & recorders but ignoring protocols for handling said evidence.  Protocols that should be as tight or tighter than any forensics team's and verified and audited by a third party.  After all, this is life & death we are talking about, right? wink.gif

I don't mean to be rude or offensive, but to post what looks like a child's doodling and expect that people will buy that it was done by a ghost is offensive to my intelligence.

Whatever you judge the relative capabilities of ghost, children and ghost-children in the realm of doodling to be, I think it might be wise to cultivate in yourself a mental aproach to internet forums that allows you to take things more in stride.  I am not trying to be snarky when I say that to you, just helpful. it really does not pay to let little stuff like this upset you.  It's just the internet, right? wink.gif

Lastly Oak,  I am sorry if you have taken my urgings in this thread amiss.  I have no desire to stifle people's opinions, but we really have a great thing here with this forum.  We have a fun, easy going atmosphere of family and civil discourse that I feel is one of this forum's greatest strengths.  I try to promote that as much as I can.  Especially the civility part.  I am not saying that you can't disagree with or disbelieve any given post, but I do urge you to pick your words with a thought for the other person,  that's all.  

Regards, Canis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users