Free Skins
© Fisana

Do You Use A Checklist For Photographic Analysis?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

Paranormal Soup seems to cater to photographic submissions and frequently we encounter opinions that can erupt into heated debates from both sides of the fence. Both adamant believers and hardened skeptics often are unwilling to abandon their opinions.

I will be the first to confess that I try to look at images with an analytical approach often found by telltale signs of data buried in digital files known as EXIF. That is not always available and often this data is missing. Opinions are valuable but some process I believe is necessary in making educated determinations. Some basic understandings of optics/cameras are a useful aid but that does not mean a valuable opinion cannot be submitted by those less technically driven. The key is often removing bias and using the facts at hand. Applying logic/critical thinking and asking more questions when there are additional doubts tend useful for analysis.

I prefer to eliminate natural causes first and if all fails, offer an alternative explanation. I believe technically well informed individuals are not necessarily more qualified for a definitive analysis but I would trust a surgeon more for an operation than a computer technician which leads me to ask the following..
  • Do you you use a checklist for analysis?
  • Do you have a process that works for your determination of the image file?
  • Do you think belief systems should be included in analysis?
  • Do you think natural causes should be included in the process of elimination?
  • Do you use technical data to derive a conclusion?
  • Do you think I’m asking way to many lame questions? :Picture 524:
Waiting to hear from you all. Thank you in advance everyone :)

Additional: Thanks Vlawde for your undying support in answering question 6 immediately... Love it :) LMAO!

Edited by EVP, 01 December 2017 - 09:03 PM.

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,004 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:54 PM

Hey EVP. Great post! I'll add my thoughts later...out and about and on my phone

Except #6. I can say yes! ;)
Posted Image

#3 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

I will admit I don't have a checklist. Mainly because I don't know anything about photography. Maybe if I did it would be a different thing. I often wonder if a natural cause for something in an image could be a tool for a spirit to use? An interesting topic will be keen to see what others write :yes:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#4 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,004 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:28 PM

Not necessarily, it's a pretty loose process of addressing one specific thing at a time. But there are things I look for
  • Do you have a process that works for your determination of the image file?
    I used to try using EXIF data but I never found it to be really helpful. Otherwise no
  • Do you think belief systems should be included in analysis?
    Perhaps to a VERY small degree, dependant on the circumstances. Generally speaking, if you believe in something very strongly, that will color your perception, You'd not be  getting an unbiased, clear view of things
  • Do you think natural causes should be included in the process of elimination?
    If they can be debunked, sure, You have to examine all possibilities
  • Do you use technical data to derive a conclusion?
    Not alone, I like to have multiple sources to reach a conclusion
  • Do you think I’m asking way to many lame questions
    Quack quack

Edited by Vlawde, 01 December 2017 - 11:29 PM.

Posted Image

#5 PIT leader

PIT leader

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:ghost-hunting,videogames,metal and house music,horror films,comics

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:09 AM

I tend to disregard orbs and mist unless anything paranormal was happening at the time that the photo was taken. Any photos I can't explain are treated as potential evidence of paranormal activity and posted on here. I get more personal proof from  experiences that I or others have had than evidence as it can never be proven.
We have such sights to show you!

IF YOU HAVE TIME, VIEW MY VIDEOS (NOT PARANORMAL) AT   https://www.youtube....cGDuiN3AKqdqNpQ

#6 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:21 AM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 01 December 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

I will admit I don't have a checklist. Mainly because I don't know anything about photography. Maybe if I did it would be a different thing. I often wonder if a natural cause for something in an image could be a tool for a spirit to use? An interesting topic will be keen to see what others write :yes:

I suppose that's possible Klainey. An another interesting tangent would also be, if spirits/ghost can look identical to people, we could never really tell if we had a paranormal image or not. Thanks for chiming in little lady :)

#7 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:56 AM

View PostVlawde, on 01 December 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

Quack! Quack! Quack!
  • I suppose I should have been a little more descriptive here as like yourself I don't have a physical list. Just mental notes to follow as I look over the image.
  • EXIF is mostly useful when you see an abundance of motion blur and noise in the image. Shutter speed and ISO gives you an idea on the struggling the camera is dealing with. It still startles me that many people associate motion blur with paranormal activity. When people draw that conclusion basic 101 in photography would be helpful.
  • Belief systems do have a place but mostly for individuals that are exploring purely the spiritual side whether it be through divination or in mediumship. Only a small percentage partake in this exploration. Most of us are more observational.
  • Natural causes is part of the process whenever we encounter something that is potentially paranormal. Without applying critical thinking, we will never grow in our discoveries in a positive way.
  • Totally agree with you on point #5. It's a combination of attributes that allows us to draw a logical conclusion and seperate the mundane from the paranormal.
  • Number 6 you get 2 likes in this thread only because you made me laugh twice Mr. Goose :)

Edited by EVP, 03 December 2017 - 06:06 AM.

#8 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

View PostPIT leader, on 02 December 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

I tend to disregard orbs and mist unless anything paranormal was happening at the time that the photo was taken. Any photos I can't explain are treated as potential evidence of paranormal activity and posted on here. I get more personal proof from  experiences that I or others have had than evidence as it can never be proven.

I dismiss 99% of orbs/mist because they are fundamentally explainable by either photographic basics or by prevailing weather conditions. Off camera lighting and lens hoods help with the orbs and I prefer to investigate in controlled indoor conditions. There are exceptions to both these examples where the answers come with more difficulty. I've mentioned this before, where I once saw a self-illuminated orb with a three foot trail meandered between several tombstones before disappearing from my eyesight. Scientists readily point to ignited swamp gas or ball lighting as an explanation. It definitely was interesting to observe.

I have also found the most compelling experiences seem to avoid being recorded regardless of how meticulous one strives in administering controls. Other times the phenomena simply cannot be recorded because of its very nature. Just how do you record an olfactory event?

Thanks for joining in the conversation PIT leader. Much appreciated!

#9 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

Sometimes I see something in photos, other times I can not see what other can.

I have no checklist as I have not necessary taken any photos though with my father passing 4 days ago I am going to start doing a lot more stuff. Being a scptic I did believe that dead is dead, though with a slight 1% that something might be possible, after all that is how scientists work because if they did not believe in something then they would not work and do research.

If I have to check something like a few photos published here then I do come at it in a analytical way and try to obtain as much data from the photo ie EXIF and using different levels and curves to try and bring out additional details in the darkness.

I have been thinking about belief these last few days and it does make me wonder if religion is actually related to the paranormal? For example if a non-human spirit exists then why are they afraid of a Christian God, would reciting verses from the Koran work instead etc.
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:15 PM

View PostCapt-Zeanie, on 08 December 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

For example if a non-human spirit exists then why are they afraid of a Christian God, would reciting verses from the Koran work instead etc.

I answered your question here on the forums but decided to remove it. I did so, because I feared a religious debate might flare up. And we don't want that.  :huh:

#11 PIT leader

PIT leader

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

I've always believed that it's the intent of the person saying it, so the positive energy will manifest to any prayer as long as whoever says it believes in whatever energy they invoke.

IF YOU HAVE TIME, VIEW MY VIDEOS (NOT PARANORMAL) AT   https://www.youtube....cGDuiN3AKqdqNpQ

#12 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

View PostPIT leader, on 09 December 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

I've always believed that it's the intent of the person saying it, so the positive energy will manifest to any prayer as long as whoever says it believes in whatever energy they invoke.

Are we talking about prayer or Witchcraft, or both?  :)

#13 PIT leader

PIT leader

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

I'd say it applies to both, as they both achieve the same goal.In my view, as long as your intentions are positive and you believe in the being you're calling on, then you'll be protected. My usual choice is the Archangel Michael :)

Edited by PIT leader, 09 December 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#14 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

No.

2. Do you have a process that works for your determination of the image file?

Just experience, and a basic understanding of the photographic process.

3. Do you think belief systems should be included in analysis?

Definitely not.

4. Do you think natural causes should be included in the process of elimination?

Definitely.

5. Do you use technical data to derive a conclusion?

As much as I can determine, and understand.

6. Do you think I’m asking way to many lame questions?

Nope.

Starting with a basic understanding of cameras, how they work, how light is used by them, and how flaws occur in the process, I then spent 10 years trying to reproduce every paranormal image that I came across on several sites and the internet in general, and tried to gain an understanding of how the camera created them. Being a complete sceptic anyway, from the start, it was not surprising that I came to find that nearly all paranormal images had a rational explanation, and that by default the few that had no obvious explanation most likely were included in the rational explanations somewhere. When you can explain 98% of the images, it does not seem rational to exclude the other two percent just because they are more difficult to fit in. A 2% margin of error is pretty much acceptable in most studies.

#15 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:05 AM

• Do you you use a checklist for analysis?                                                                                                                                         Not exactly. We look for certain aspects and things in each photo but not really a set checklist.
    • Do you have a process that works for your determination of the image file?                                                                                     Each photo we suspect as an anomaly is ran through an EXIF reader so we can document shudder speed and that sort of thing. We also let each evaluator see the image away from others that way we get a fresh set of eyes and opinions with each viewer.
    • Do you think belief systems should be included in analysis?                                                                                                             Not persay.
    • Do you think natural causes should be included in the process of elimination?                                                                                For sure. If you can rule it out great, if you can't rethink and attack the photo from a natural angle.
    • Do you use technical data to derive a conclusion?                                                                                                                           In a way. I like to use EXIF just to varify my shudder is operating the right way and at the right speed and I like to know that I have other data to back a picture. If I get a shadow figure in a photo and I have an EMF spike to corelate that than I am a happy hunter.
    • Do you think I’m asking way to many lame questions? :Picture 524:                                                                                                             The only lame question is one that is never asked. I applaud your enthusiasm and curiousity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users