Free Skins
© Fisana

Is It Possible To Be Killed In Your Dream?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Iwanttobelieve999

Iwanttobelieve999

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

I'm wandering if anyone has ever heard of these strange deaths that happend in the early 80's or something. This is basically how Wes Craven came up with the idea of A Nightmare On Elm Street. There were these 4 kids and each of them had gone to sleep and died screaming in the middle of the night. One of the kids told his parents that there is something after him in his dream and if he goes to sleep it will kill him. So this kid does everything possible to stay awke, they found a coffe pot in his room, the sleeping pills that his parents tried to get him to take were under his matress he hadn't taken any. One night they were watching amovie and he fell asleep on the coach. The parents relieved brought him up to his room and went to bed. In the middle of the night they heard screaming from his room and when they got to him he was dead. Does anyone have any theroies about this.

#2 PIT leader

PIT leader

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Interests:ghost-hunting,videogames,metal and house music,horror films,comics

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

I remember hearing about this from a friend, so just assumed it was an urban legend. I think if an entity was powerful enough, it could happen. I think in this case, it's an urban legend though. At least I hope so  Picture 483.gif
We have such sights to show you!

IF YOU HAVE TIME, VIEW MY VIDEOS (NOT PARANORMAL) AT   https://www.youtube....cGDuiN3AKqdqNpQ

#3 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

This has been an Urban Legend since I was a kid.

Some sleep disorders, where the person stops breathing or has a seizure without waking, can cause nightmares... Probably the source of this kind of story.

(I've had dreams where I've died in a battle, wake up with bruises, but I'm fairly sure I'm not dead yet.)

#4 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

I have died several times in my dreams, and woken up very disturbed as a result ... but I still woke up. I don't think a dream by itself is enough to kill you in reality.

#5 OffDutyCop

OffDutyCop

Paranormal Law Enforcer

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Research and Investigation, Military History, Law Enforcement History, Irish and Irish-American History, Naval and Martime History, Writing, Video Gaming

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

The most disturbing (and possibly realistic) dream that I've ever had involved me dying, slowly.

Edited by Off Duty Cop, 08 March 2009 - 04:52 PM.

"In each of us, there are two sides at war....the good and the evil. The fight rages between them all of our lives, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be, we are. " ---Dr. Henry Jekyll

#6 PSI-Jim

PSI-Jim

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid motor enthusiast. I undertake a lot of repair work, and enjoy racing. Aside from which I am the founder of PSI - Paranormal Study and Investigation, with whom I am a keen investigator.

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

For the most part, I wake up just before I die, an jolt awake.

I have frequent bad dreams lately but im under lots of stress atm. The one thing I find funny is lately i feel pain the dreams too. Nothing excrutiating, but its there.

Not sure what could make you die in your sleep, other than physical organ failure. Id say hopefully an urban legend, but you never really know whats out there.

Jim
Remember there are no 'experts'. Anyone who claims they are is a fraud. We are ALL students, with varying degrees of knowledge.
Watch your favorite paranormal tv shows for free at the link below!
PSI - Paranormal Study & Investigation
PSI - Discussion Forums

#7 Guest_Staropeace_*

Guest_Staropeace_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Dreams are benign. While we really do not know why we have them,we do know they stem from our own subconcious minds.
Every part of your body will instinctively fight to live. Your mind will not creat dreams that are dangerous to your life. Even nightmares are good for you. It is a sort of nightime venting for daily frustrations.

There are lots of things in this world to worry about. I wouldnt waste my time worrying about homicidal dreams.

#8 Night_Mystic

Night_Mystic

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hey, if you think about it this life is a dream, so by default,  we do die in our dreams, hehehe.

#9 Avaren

Avaren

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

the only thing i can think of that would do that would be a heart attack. the pain woke him up and lead to the screaming. laying down can prove deadly under the right circumstances. blood clot in the leg went to his brain or heart or lungs. (assuming he has a blood disorder they did not know about) the lungs take some time so we can assume its not that. Also an anurysum can do that. laying down could have put just enough pressure to have it burst and its usually very painful. If its in the right spot you can bleed out in seconds. so there are many possibilities here if it ever did happen and since autopsies were not very popular they may have never done one. Anyways this is assuming that this really happened.

As for the 'thing' will get me and i will die. he may have known something wasn't right but you know how kids are they make up stories for god knows what reason because they don't understand whats happening.
~The more we learn the less we know~

#10 TheMicah

TheMicah

Apport

• GS Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:04 AM

I was watching a show on the TV not too long ago where they talked about how some people have a disorder where they have extreamly bad nightmares. I dont remember exactly what it was called tho. Anyways, these nightmares can get bad enough that they have been known to raise the heart rate enough to cause a heart attack and i'm assuming that having a heart attack in your sleep would be quite unpleasent.

#11 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:54 AM

Well i hear the most common time of death is around 2am, usually in old peoples homes though. I guess the body is just more relaxed, the heart beat slower?

I hope that the original story is just an urban legend though. Supernatural did their own version of it.
"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#12 supernaturGal

supernaturGal

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Anything and everything supernatural! I love watching movies and TV (especially horror from A-Z grade, naturally), hiking, cross stitching, driving and reading. My fave authors are Dean Koontz, Graham Masterson, Karin Slaughter and Stephen King. I also have a comprehensive collection of non-fiction paranormal books.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

I've never died in a dream; I always jolt awake just before it happens. That's a scary story and I really hope it isn't true. But I have heard before that if you die in your sleep, you die in real life but obviously that's bulldust cause some of you lovely people are still alive and kicking! Maybe they have some pre existing cardiac conditions or something that caused their deaths (if it's true). I know that when I wake up from a particularly scary nightmare (and especially my recurring nightmare which references above) that I am sweaty, panting, panicky and my heart is RACING; it totally freaks my fiance out! It could be that maybe the trauma caused an underlying cardiac condition to jump into action and they actually died of natural causes. I really hope it isn't real because that's very sad but anyways.......
Posted Image

#13 H1ppy Ch1c

H1ppy Ch1c

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:rocky horror, reading, swimming, cycling...other random stuff

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

I have never heard bout things trying to kill you in your sleep and like actually doing physical damage, but i have of course heard the urbamn legend that dreaming about falling and hitting the ground causes you to die. i know for a fact that this is rubbish because i have hit the floor many times and am still living. i always feel the impact and then jolt awake, completely winded and sometimes my back feels sore, but i don't i'll ever die from these dreams. i don't think you have anything to worry about.

#14 lordofvermin

lordofvermin

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:maybe a little obvious...seeing as i am a member of a PARANORMAL forum XD

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Personally I feel that dreams give shape to bad events and feelings throughout the day. This "thing" coming to get him could have been an illness or a terminal condition he was not aware of, like a tumour in the brain, recognised as bad only by his subconscious and given a shape in his dreams.
We are about to head on to the battle field. Believe our blades will not shatter...Believe our souls will not be cut. Even if our steps separate, our iron will remains solid....Promise....Even if the ground may split... WE WILL RETURN ALIVE TO THIS PLACE.....

#15 ~BK~

~BK~

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:01 AM

If death does happen, it normally does insinuate a part of you dies.... to open up for new spiritual/psychic things...

example: friend of mine had a dream she was mauled by a white tiger. In it, she had watched it, from outside her body, tear into her arms, then her body, finally ending it by biting her head off. She remembers clearly dying in the dream..... Now she freaks all of us out by being able to tell who is near, what it is, and what it wants.....

I find it interesting.... dying in a dream opens an "office" in your head, if you could call it that.....
~Basement Kitteh~

#16 Cambion

Cambion

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

I think maybe it's possible to be scared literally to death by an entity...as previously mentioned, heart attacks could be the (possibly fatal) result of huge scare. It is possible for anyone to have a heart attack, not just those who are middle-aged, so I'd say anyone could get the daylights scared out of them enough to kill them. There are other things that can kill someone in their sleep that may not involve screaming...apnea and aneurysms come to mind.

#17 ~BK~

~BK~

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

I'd love to die in my sleep..... any other way would really suck.
~Basement Kitteh~

#18 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

I used to suffer from physical dreams. I would dream I fought someone and was stabbed and when I awoke I would have a puncture wound in that place. It was disturbing as a child and I spent a lot of nights developing a taste for cofee and whatever I could do to keep me awake. I never dreamed I died so I have no real preference there but I have read many occurances where people have dreamed this and woke up fine the next morning. I suppose it could be a possibility though.

#19 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

I had a dream where I died from drowning once.  It was a long, agonizing and vivid process.  

It was very real.  I still recall how cold it felt when I finally lost the ability to fight it and breathed the water into my lungs.  Then came a freash wave of panic and a terrible pain in my chest and head.  I was thrashing and trying to suck in some air, but there was no air, only more cold water.  In the end, I could not move or make a sound, I was just ice cold and in agony, slowly drifting down into the darkness.  Enventually Everything was dark and I knew I was about to die.  I wanted to go on living so badly, but knew that I could not.  I wanted to cry, but could not.  then everything just stopped.  I was dead.  

Obviously, it did not actually kill me to have this dream.

I have also had a lot of dreams where I was being physically injured and woke up still feeling the pain, as though it had really happened.  Mind over matter type stuff, I guess.

Regards, Canis

#20 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

I would imagine that to be a very disrurbing moment indeed. I have had dreams where I am drowning and I wake up feeling smothered.