15 replies to this topic

#1 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

I've been reading a lot on this forum that it isn't wise to
Communicate with whatever is haunting you. That doing so could increase activity and possibly turn malevolent.

I was wondering how and why investigators communicate with the spirits we're told to avoid making contact with.

Along these lines, does conducting evp experiments necessarily cause activity?
My Signature

#2 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a YMMV kind of thing :yes: Personally if something didn't seem malevolent I'd be all over it to communicate with me :) But then I don't suffer from panic attacks and I literally make things just so I could communicate with them if they exist :yes: AND I of course have ouija boards for that classic touch :D
My Signature
- siguie -

#3 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,646 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

Some people say they won't do EVPs at home for fear it'll stimulate activity where they live. I've never done it home because I have no reason to think there are spirits here. IMO there could be danger if you have activity at home and possibly escalating it by communicating. Personally, if I had activity at home that didn't seem malevolent I'd probably try to investigate further
My Signature
Posted Image

#4 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:23 PM

View Postsiguie, on 14 October 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure it's a YMMV kind of thing :yes: Personally if something didn't seem malevolent I'd be all over it to communicate with me :) But then I don't suffer from panic attacks and I literally make things just so I could communicate with them if they exist :yes: AND I of course have ouija boards for that classic touch :D

LOL! I wish these seemed friendly.

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 14 October 2016 - 06:09 PM, said:

Some people say they won't do EVPs at home for fear it'll stimulate activity where they live. I've never done it home because I have no reason to think there are spirits here. IMO there could be danger if you have activity at home and possibly escalating it by communicating. Personally, if I had activity at home that didn't seem malevolent I'd probably try to investigate further

I was under the impression that they're everywhere. I also don't think they have to be in the same room to communicate. Thats just me.
My Signature

#5 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,646 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

Sarah Estep, founder of one of the biggest and best EVP websites/groups, set up a time every day at home to try EVPs. She said doing the routine like that drew spirits and tons of EVPs. The group/ site is AAEVP, but they've since changed the name. Sure you can find it googling. Lots of great EVPs and itc there, and info on doing it. They like the white noise method
My Signature
Posted Image

#6 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 14 October 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

Sarah Estep, founder of one of the biggest and best EVP websites/groups, set up a time every day at home to try EVPs. She said doing the routine like that drew spirits and tons of EVPs. The group/ site is AAEVP, but they've since changed the name. Sure you can find it googling. Lots of great EVPs and itc there, and info on doing it. They like the white noise method

Thank you for the reply. I'll check them out.

I asked here because I wanted to learn from you guys. :)
My Signature

#7 aisLinnZ

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Playing Celtic harp, sketching, reading bks of people in a mystical perspective(Abe Lincoln,Hildegard of Bingen,William B. Yeats,Nostrodomus-regular folks , living their beliefs), enjoy forests~

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:43 PM

View PostMikaru, on 14 October 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

Communicate with whatever is haunting you. That doing so could increase activity and possibly turn malevolent.

I was wondering how and why investigators communicate with the spirits we're told to avoid making contact with.

Hi Mikaru!
I think your question (s)  brings up lots of perspectives! Its good to read things from lots of angles and mostly, I will offer my thoughts that trial and error(though I don't like 'error', I think its more, trial and result-either feeling content or feeling ...ahhhh! nope!) we each are unique....like snowflakes, and how we connect with a spirit (my point of view) really varies.

I suppose because my experiences have been kind of a bouquet of no set pattern- like I don't know ahead of time if I will detect a presence. I have no knowledge about equipment~I know that there is much going on though, even when we are just eating dinner at home, or taking out the trash-but I think if someone is urged or feels passionate about use of devices to detect entities/spirits, then they should!

Of actually 'experiencing' an entitiy- mostly human in my case; it can be rather 'unplashy' like no fireworks or a chair flung across the room. I suppose perhaps because I don't need or want a lot activity?! I get anx. easily, so any connection goes faint & away(w/a warm presence).

I think the most unsettling(emotional)was of a young boy in a white shirt and black overalls and a little rimmed hat. I hadn't really been 'asking' to see a spirit? But could feel a presence at night, so closed my eyes and did ask:"I feel you near, did you want to let me know something?" And saw the boy in my head and several times for a few days with my eyes, for quick moments. - since I was in 'receiving mode' he sort of whispered of living in the area I was , for a long time. But he realized he wasn't alive and didn't want it 'like that' anymore, "can I stay with you, your a mamma" .

He had been hurt somehow- a bonk to his head and died while living with relatives who didn't really want him. His parents had died- dad in some brawl (couldn't get clear how- civil war or etc) and mom of sickness 'the coughing one'. His relatives couldn't afford him, & he kind of just helped on a farm or something for them. I wrote his name down but didn't get a last name- so tried to actually research the name & yrs past of our area-but didnt really find anything except info about settlers and some (now gone) farms & such.

I just share this experience as its an example of a lost,confused, scared 'soul' who I guess 'felt my willingness to connect', and that he was near for days. I know my words don't offer 'proof'; I guess we each experience things in our own ways. I kind of 'prayed or meditated' on what to do- its like it was ....(oooh, 'Tim' was his name) he needed to move forward and onward ; he finally had 'got it' that he was dead, before I ever felt his presence.

But I guess I was the one for that- I finally, after like 4 days, 'asked' for Infinite to let this little spirit fella see something,someone familiar & loving to help him 'move forward'. It was a quiet thing.....a day after my asking , I woke at like 2 am & half awake, 'saw' his mother(is what I concluded) kind of reach for him with hazy sparkly stuff around  them, and the moment he clasped her hand, they were gone. Haze & all. I didn't 'feel' or see him after that.

I just share, because though (after a decade) I have read about, talked with, and taken classes from people to understand spirits, and other entities- and (for myself) it seems there isn't a 'set' of rules or 'agenda' ....entities don't wear watches.....that it is possible for an energy to hang in your 'space' or aura, etc for some time, and depending on how its 'temperment' is-angry, confused, sad, neutral, bright(happy)...etc, it can be either a mind twisting but neat experience....or possibly super frightening. Excuse my long post.... : )  I liked reading everyone's reply posts too~theres always so much more to learn of!
My Signature
"..for those who believe, no words are necessary. For those who do not believe, no words are possible.."  (and that's ok!~)

#8 earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:16 AM

I think of communication as a skill - it's one that needs to be honed and treated with respect. Think about surgery - you wouldn't want just anyone performing it, would you? Same goes for spirit communication. There's precautions that people should follow in order to have a safe and positive experience, but even so, things can go wrong, and you need to be prepared to manage whatever might pop up.
My Signature
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#9 Louczar

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostMikaru, on 14 October 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

Good questions... I would be fearful of "opening communication" with something as I feel I am not knowledgeable enough or ill equipped to handle / deal with what comes next...whether it was a good or bad entity.

I see it as potentially being like pandoras box.  I dont want to open that sucker!!!!!
My Signature
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#10 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

I don't do it at home.   Period.   I will very occasionally set up a safe space to do remote work (and now that I have a porch that's not attached to the house I use it).   But doing it sets up some sort of beacon that entities good and bad can see for miles.   If that beacon goes up regularly in the same place they're going to come see what's up.   You don't want that.

You have to also be very careful who and what you're communicating with.   Everyone has to start somewhere but there's a lot of grief that comes with it and you have to be safe in your own home.

I used to brag that I was the only person that I knew in the field who didn't have a haunted house because I practiced safe ghosting.   Yeah,  not so much anymore.   I've picked up friends along the way and bought a house with an established haunting.

Investigators are taking a risk.   Experienced investigators know the risk and know how to mitigate it.   And their one communication isn't nearly as likely to bring new things in as doing it repeatedly without careful protections in your own home.   When I need something in my house (and this actually is standard practice among my team and with my friends in the field)  I call someone I know.   I don't do it myself.   Partly because strange eyes see more,  partly because beacon and partly because I see people who do it in their spaces and the level of obsession and entanglement that happens is a little frightening.
My Signature
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#11 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

So it's unlikely that communication from an experienced investigator would make a bad situation worse?

Also, I'm thinking that an investigation isn't always necessary. That the person being haunted could be validated without one, and could benefit from a cleansing according to their beliefs both psychologically and clear out the baddies if any. Would this be a correct assumption? To avoid kicking up more dust so to speak.

Sorry, I'm full of questions.
My Signature

#12 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

Right.   It's unlikely that anything either scientific investigators or experienced intuitive investigators are going to do is going to make things worse in a normal haunting (I'm making an exception because with the really bad infestations,  especially where there's an attachment things can go very badly before they get better) as long as they're not doing stupid things like taunting.

You're also right that an investigation isn't always necessary.   You can learn to live peacefully with a lot of stuff and you can bore negative entities into finding new targets.   Sometimes,  though,  it takes someone who can talk to them and convince them to move on or figure out what is going to separate them.  But even then 99% of it is the home owner's will.   Most of what I do is empowering people and lending a sympathetic ear on both sides of the veil.
My Signature
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#13 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

View PostTantric KittenGStudy, on 19 October 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

... You can learn to live peacefully with a lot of stuff and you can bore negative entities into finding new targets...

That's what we're doing. We've founded a sort of truce. Just recently my Mother lost a gift card and searched high and low for it. She was running herself ragged and putting herself down. So, I asked our resident "guests", if they'd help her find it and place it where she'd see it. That was yesterday, today it was found in her wallet, which she and I each had searched twice. They've been cooperative, though they can have their mischievous moments.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#14 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:14 AM

View PostMacCGStudy, on 19 October 2016 - 07:09 PM, said:

That's what we're doing. We've founded a sort of truce. Just recently my Mother lost a gift card and searched high and low for it. She was running herself ragged and putting herself down. So, I asked our resident "guests", if they'd help her find it and place it where she'd see it. That was yesterday, today it was found in her wallet, which she and I each had searched twice. They've been cooperative, though they can have their mischievous moments.

That's pretty amazing! I'm happy for you :D

View PostLouczar, on 19 October 2016 - 05:46 AM, said:

Good questions... I would be fearful of "opening communication" with something as I feel I am not knowledgeable enough or ill equipped to handle / deal with what comes next...whether it was a good or bad entity.

I see it as potentially being like pandoras box.  I dont want to open that sucker!!!!!

I guess I'm just too curious for my own good. lol
My Signature

#15 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:57 AM

Ya know, CDS advised that I stay clear of doing evp experiments at home. I respect his advice with this. Would doing this anywhere else be safe as someone could follow me back home? It seems there's a danger doing this at all.
My Signature

#16 capn b

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

I've had EVP sessions at home, used my equipment as well. I did it because there indeed was a reason for me to do so. I've been doing it for year's. However it's not something I do often and I only do it when I feel, hear, possibly see something. Which isnt often. but when i do, I go into full investigation mode.

Anyway, I havent had anything bad happen. Nothing has attacked or bugged my family from me doing it. So, to each their own i guess
My Signature
Just because you cant see it, doesn't mean it's not there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com