8 replies to this topic

#1 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,646 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

This guy did experiments and research. Pretty much the same conclusions I thought

http://www.csicop.or...l_investigation
My Signature
Posted Image

#2 Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,462 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

I have a feeling his article is going to conclude that it's not really a reliable aid in finding ghosts. It will be interesting if he can prove it. Then we can finally move on to other considerations.  ;)
My Signature
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#3 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:07 AM

Meh pretty much stating the obvious but you have to give him credit for doing all the research to back it up :yes:

Well if you consider every dancing stick figure not projected on a human a ghost then yeah completely unreliable :yes: On the other hand each dot is basically an extremely sensitive motion sensor registering 30 times a second {apparently} and THAT information could be incredibly useful :yes: If that data could be registered and reviewed you would have incredibly valuable data regarding motion in the area. If nothing else just removing the points that are not showing movement would leave everything else from bugs flying to curtains blowing in a nigh imperceptible breeze AND it would get everything all at once :yes:

Basically yes tons of potential :yes: but it's gonna take a lot of werk for ghost hunters to make use of the data so prolly not gonna happen :no:
My Signature
- siguie -

#4 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

I knew vacuum cleaners were evil. Even animals agree. They're haunted.
My Signature

#5 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

Pretty much what we summarize on a very basic level. It recognizes things, that are to be what is considered players. That is the algorithm. Will also have false positives in certain situations such as excess electrical fields, things like drapes where when they move it links to.
We are trying to put it through paces, creating false positives and also in spots where that shouldn't be possible. A non reflective hallway, where there are no bodies live or simulated. Then if we do get a result. What is the figure doing, is is walking in a direction, waving or doing something that is being asked rather than just being there standing next to someone.
Though I would love every result to be paranormal, amazing how exciting that would be 99% are not. Gadgets always made to make ghost investigation exciting, when it isn't It is darn boring in the truest form.

I just got some new gadgets today, likely crud as well. But pragmatic science says we need to test them for both answers. Who knows maybe we'll find a winner. I will address that on my podcast tonite, that and the kinect
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#6 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

Dave, if you get the chance try using clear and then translucent bags in your kinect test, also any type of fog or misting device.

The "fog" testing would be particularly useful. There's this interesting thing that happens with water vapour and infrared light. Sometimes IR makes water vapour easier to see other times it just sees through it. It seems to vary depending on the IR frequency and density of the mist as well as the differences in temperature.

The reason I think this would be interesting is I believe the kinect might be able to detect vapour before night vision cameras can pick it up. If so this might help explain those "paranormal" shots where the stick figure is interacting with a human ... vapour from the human being picked up etc.

Oh and the bags would show effects of soft faceted partially IR transparent objects :yes:

Anyways, just a thought if you had time and inclination :yes: I don't mean to tell you what to do I just get all excited when people do real testing and suggest what I wish I could do :sigh:

Do any of your toys have fast response humidity sensors? I know the EDI+ has something but was curious if there was anything else in your arsenal.

One of the earliest siguie theories on ghosts {if they exist} was what if they really cannot be seen by any light source and the white misty appearances oft times described was just them absorbing energy and creating a mist based on humidity and dew point. Anywho that's why I'm so interested in water vapour, temps and humidity :yes:
My Signature
- siguie -

#7 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

I have a smoke machine. I would try all of that for sure.
Who knows I figure frankly, anything could be of value in investigating. I mean we don't know how a spirit would act with anything or what would see it. A fisher price toy might be the best tool ever

I only have the EDI+ for the hygrometer
I do work with a team that has data collectors for that. However truth be told, I am nor are any of my team scientists so I am not sure what we'd do with the info, at least strongly enough to make a case about something
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#8 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Oh well at the most basic level I think every team should get a temperature, barometric pressure and relative humidity simply because these "numbers" can be used to help explain unusual wet spots, smells as well as mists/vapour/fog. For instance if you know the dew point for a room and hear the AC turn on just before a ghost appears then it's an easy explanation. On the other hand if ghosts in general only appear when the ambient conditions are right near the dew point maybe all a ghost is is an invisible spirit becoming visible solely due to fortuitous ambient conditions. It also helps explain why many ghost hunters find ghosts near water :yes:

The other thing to note is that warm dry environments are more prone to static and emf phenomena while cold humid environments are better candidates for odd smells n such.

Anywho if you and your team don't swing that way no worries :no: that's just my thing and I'm always curious about tech toys and was wondering what you got ... BUT if you are interested iButtons from https://www.maximint...thermochron.cfm are AWESOME! I have a couple of old thermocrons {back when they were $20} and have been trying to convince a friend with a humidor that he absolutely needs the digital hygrometer to safeguard his cancer stash and also so I can play with the thing. These are strictly data loggers and you either need to know a little about coding or be willing to fork out way too much for the software. However, if your kinect guy can handle that things data then making sense of these iButtons will be easy peasy :yes:

This is the wrong thread for it but before I forget ...  when you have formed an opinion on that EDI+ be sure and post what you think ... I was really thinking about getting that one :yes: Oh heck start a toy thread I'm interested in everything you have or are thinking of using on investigations AND you may want to consider adding an equipment corner to your website. If you had an affiliate link to something I'm going to get I'd be glad to get it through your link knowing that it helps out in some way :yes:

Edited by siguie, 13 July 2017 - 04:36 PM.

My Signature
- siguie -

#9 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:43 AM

A good read
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com