Rainbow Shows Up In A Photo On An Investigation?

rainbow orb in basement

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MPCUTIE6

MPCUTIE6

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

We did an investigation at Wolf house in Wilder Ky. We were in the basement and I got this rainbow in the photo has anyone else ever had this happen? Its not in any other photos. Just wondered if it has anything to do with the paranormal. Any opinions would be great

Attached Files

Edited by MPCUTIE6, 20 January 2014 - 12:38 PM.

~I ain't afraid of no ghosts!~

#2 Guest_SilentWalkerGStudy_*

Guest_SilentWalkerGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

I would say it is more likely moisture in the air as you were using a flash. Nice effect :)

#3 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

I agree with SilentWalker.  Were you near any pipes, or possibly a damp spot?
Posted Image

#4 MPCUTIE6

MPCUTIE6

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

It was the basement so open rafters above us and that's what I thought but I didn't feel wet/damp down there and no leaks and tons of pics in the same spot just one with that rainbow I just thought it was so weird. Thank you guys though I will just chalk it up as moisture.

#5 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

I have had that happen and it was the camera settings (we were sooooooo excited).  I wonder if someone accidentally bumped the setting wheel just before that shot.  There's also the possibility that it's some kind of glare (combined with camera settings) bouncing off the end of the dowsing rod or something else reflective that's off frame.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#6 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

In a real rainbow, the color red is at the top. If there is a secondary bow above it, the color red is at the bottom in the top bow. I don't see a primary bow below this one, so it is likely something else.  I'm not sure what might have caused this one, but I will check into it.

Edited by Snowlord, 20 January 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#7 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

Light through a prisim = raninbow. Sometimes even a small drop of water can cause a rainbow effect. But that is what causes rainbows, light refracting through a prisim. In nature it is water in the form of rain or sometimes waterfalls. Damp down there perhaps>
Who you gonna call?

#8 Snowlord

Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

View PostMortimerGraves, on 21 January 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

Light through a prisim = raninbow. Sometimes even a small drop of water can cause a rainbow effect. But that is what causes rainbows, light refracting through a prisim. In nature it is water in the form of rain or sometimes waterfalls. Damp down there perhaps>

But as I mentioned above, if this were being caused by water drops then the red band of color would be at the top of the bow. Since the red color band is at the bottom of the bow in this image, then it is not being caused by water or moisture in the air. This has to be some kind of extreme lens flare or chromatic abberation effect as far as I can tell.

#9 MPCUTIE6

MPCUTIE6

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

No my camera settings were the same the whole time. I'm also a photographer so its habit to constantly check them. No noticeable dampness its one of those I think a cape cod where the garage is in the basement too. so the full basement is not underground. I like to hear your theories snowlord as I cant find any info on paranormal producing a rainbow.

#10 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

I just googled it.  The suggestions I'm seeing come up are to clean the sensor, use a black lens shade and reinstall the firmware and that the issue is intermittent for people who have it.  Totally makes sense since Snowlord pointed out that the rainbow is backwards indicating some sort of issue with the lens or light sensors (as we know that images enter the camera upside down with optical lenses).
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#11 MPCUTIE6

MPCUTIE6

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

ok Thank you! Darn I thought I had something good!

#12 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:00 AM

According to this site: http://www.wisegeek....enithal-arc.htm

A reverse rainbow occurs naturally and is called a circumzenithal arc. Something in the play of light must have recreated this phonemon.
Who you gonna call?

#13 Snowlord

Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostMortimerGraves, on 24 January 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

According to this site: http://www.wisegeek....enithal-arc.htm

A reverse rainbow occurs naturally and is called a circumzenithal arc. Something in the play of light must have recreated this phonemon.

Yes ... but look at the curve of the arc ( in this link below ). The red band is still at the outside of the curve, not on the inside like in the picture above. I have seen these before, and they form high in the sky above the sun. Unlike regular rainbows, I think they only form above the very bright sun in a large, open sky. I don't think they can form in close quarters like a rainbow can. Also the light source would need to be in front of you, and there is none in the image in question.

The "solar halo" ( which can be seen in another area of the link below ) does have the red band on the inside of the curve, but it also forms around the sun while facing it, not from behind. Certain amounts of space and large angles are needed for any of these to form, I think.

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/cza.htm

#14 MPCUTIE6

MPCUTIE6

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostTantric Kitten, on 21 January 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

I just googled it.  The suggestions I'm seeing come up are to clean the sensor, use a black lens shade and reinstall the firmware and that the issue is intermittent for people who have it.  Totally makes sense since Snowlord pointed out that the rainbow is backwards indicating some sort of issue with the lens or light sensors (as we know that images enter the camera upside down with optical lenses).
  So SNOWLORD is this what you think?

#15 Snowlord

Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostMPCUTIE6, on 24 January 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

So SNOWLORD is this what you think?

I think this is as close as we are going to get with this. There seems to be a haze between the rainbow and the man's hand and head. Since it didn't show up in any other photos, and it is obviously some kind of light issue, and there is that haze, I would have to go with some kind of extreme lens flare of some kind, or a quick, temporary sensor issue.

I would suggest scanning all the pictures taken around this time for any evidence of this type of effect. It might be very faint, so have a good close look. Other than that, I can't think of anything else to suggest.

#16 MPCUTIE6

MPCUTIE6

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Ok Thank you very much!

#17 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:44 AM

Cool capture! .....never seen anything like it before. Maybe it's a sign.  :huh:

#18 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,985 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

Could be a form of lens flare, with the light hitting the lens just right
Posted Image

#19 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,378 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:52 PM

Yes it is very strange, especially when Snowlord isn't quite sure what it is! :shocked:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#20 Chris Charles

Chris Charles

EVP

• GS Member
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Anything odd and crazy, who doesn't love a good mystery.

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

that is definitely an awesome picture, could potentially be down to moisture in the air, but still an epic picture regardless
Things go bang in the night, but don't be scared.

I do a series of ghost report videos on youtube, feel free to check them out https://www.youtube....y4-p5N_JYw50-SQ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rainbow, orb, in basement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users