78 replies to this topic

#1 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 03:54 PM

The wendigo is a Canadian entity, half phantom, half beast, who lives in the forests and preys on human beings, particularly chil- dren. The belief in this horror dates back to the earliest Indian legends and it is said that the wendigo will eat the flesh of its victims. According to R.S. Lambert in "Exploring the Supernatural" (1955), 'Wendigos (who might be women as well as men) were believed to have entered into a pact with evil spirits, lurking in the for- est, who helped them kill their victims
http://www.prairieghosts.com/wendigo.html

http://www.ghosts.org/faq/5-1.html
Be Good!

#2 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:21 PM

I remember seeing an episode of Creepy Canada that dealt with the Wendigo. I believe that the story went that a Dr. was usupected of killing a whole town in Ontario because he was supposedly posessed by the Wendigo. *runs off to do some Wendigo research*

#3 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:49 PM

Okay, this is going to be long, so bare with me. This is what I found. The Windigo legend is based around Fort Kent, Alberta.

The Wendigo, correctly spelt weetigo and pronounced wee-ti-go, comes from Native legend telling the tale of a great Native warrior. The warrior, in an attempt to become stronger, ate the hearts of his fallen foes. Over time the warrior began to physically change and crave human flesh.

After killing a member of his own tribe to eat the flesh, he was cast into the wilderness to live out the rest of his life alone. Secluded in the wildness the warrior further changed, growing a think coat of white fur, and sharp teeth and claws.

It has been said that even though the Wendigo has long become legend it is still a curse that can affect anyone when stranded in a remote northern wilderness. Once becoming cursed with the spirit of the Wendigo the affected person will crave human flesh to help them grow stronger.

Settlers move into the 5 Lakes region in North Eastern Alberta and discover a Commune that seems to have been there for many years. Over the next decade, dozens of families stake claims to land in the area and rumours start to spread about the mysterious members of the Commune and their bizarre ritualistic practices.

Here is the timeline for the Windigo legend:

1756 / April
The partially eaten remains of a local farmer apparently attacked by a large white grizzly are found on the edge of his property. A hunting party of three men are sent out to exterminate the grizzly before it attacks again. They leave heading into the forest in the area near the Commune and never return.

1756 / July
Fear and superstition cause the local farmers to point blame at the Commune for the disappearance of the hunters and the death of the farmer. The farmers then form and send a militia to demand that the Commune vacate the area immediately. The leader of the Commune, William Blake, refuses.

1757 /April
After a harsh winter, the militia is sent to investigate the commune and find all occupants dead in a terrible scene of cannibalism. The compound is burned to the ground, leaving only ash behind. William Blake and the Commune are never spoke of again.

1871-1892
Over one hundred years later many new settlers have begin to populate the area, taking advantage of the free fertile land. In 1892 the town of Fort Kent officially is established with promises of a bright future.

1919 / May
Disgusted with the horrors of World War I, Thomas Burton and his wife Katie, move from England to Fort Kent. Once in Fort Kent the Burtons start a successful medical practice and quickly become active in the town of Fort Kent making many friends.

1920 / Spring
Much of the valuable lumber in the area has been removed. With government regulated re seeding policies yet to be invented, the logging business has exhausted its supply of timber. Many of the logging companies go out of business forcing many locals to head to larger cities like Edmonton for work. Fort Kent dwindles in size.

1920 / October
An inexplicable wave of rats pours into Fort Kent and the surrounding area from seemingly nowhere. Many of the town’s people become sick with various symptoms. Thomas Burton does his best to help the sick members of the community, however a great number of people are still lost to the disease.

1920 - 1921 / November – April
The winter of 1920 is the worst winter in the Fort Kent area in recorded history. Many farmers spend the winter secluded and trapped in their homes while their livestock perish.

1921 / April
When spring returns the infestation of rats, which should have died off have grown larger in number. (expand) Throughout the spring many animals are found dead and partially eaten in the area. Farmers begin telling stories involving a large white hairy bear like creature that hungers for living flesh.

1921 / August
Katie Burton succumbs to the disease despite Thomas’s best efforts and soon dies of small pox. Frustrated with so much death and the threat of an epidemic Thomas Burton quarantines his house/hospital, taking no more patients while he takes time to mourn his wife.

1921 / September
The townspeople are unaware that the doctor’s wife had died and that he is alone in the house building a shrine with her lifeless body. After many weeks of anger and confusion Thomas turns his back on God. When he reappears in the community he calls himself William Blake, a name not spoken in the area for over one hundred years.

1921 / October
Thomas Burton/William Blake begins to bring transients and isolated farmers to his home in secret. It is found that these people are tortured and killed. None are identified.

1921 / October 12
On this night the town of Fort Kent is literally attacked by Thomas Burton/William Blake. He moves from house to house acting quickly, giving no one time to defend. Most families are butchered with parts of the body taken. Eleven people, for unknown reasons, are spared.

1921 / October 13th
Rumrunner Russell Foley comes into town with his illegal shipment of alcohol and finds most of the Town members murdered. Those that have not been killed by Thomas Burton/William Blake are in shock. Struggling with what to do, Russell Foley heads to the nearest town and notifies the RCMP.

1921 / October 14th
After a short investigation The RCMP easily suppress news of the events since very few people still lived in the area and Russell Foley, who found the murdered town, was eager to obey police for fear his Rum Running operation would be shut down.

The Native spirit of The Windigo possesses Fort Kent's doctor, as he wreaks havoc on his small settlement.

The Windigo is the native spirit of vengeance. At the turn of the century, a young doctor moved to the town of Fort Kent with his young bride. Soon, cattle are being mysteriously slaughtered, and most of the townsfolk become critically ill. The doctor, still psychologically affected by his horrendous term of service in World War One, is powerless to help, and, in his illness, succumbs to the Spirit of the Windigo

#4 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:56 PM

Wow what a post,Helena, theres alot of stuff out there about people encountering this thing. at first I thought it was more of an urban legand, I still do but theres just so many reports about it
Be Good!

#5 Guest_HauntedAsylum_*

Guest_HauntedAsylum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:10 PM

Cease check this out:

Wendigo

Pretty good film and great soundtrack. Took place in the Catskills.  smile.gif

#6 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:45 PM

[attachment=77:attachment][attachment=78:attachment]Forgot to add these:

#7 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:49 PM

Great bloody hell, I hope I never run into that, Helena
Be Good!

#8 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(ceaser @ Oct 23 2004, 09:49 PM)
Great bloody hell, I hope I never run into that, Helena

I hear you Ceaser!! The first pic is the one of the Native Warrior while he was experiencing the changes he was going through, the second one is apparently an eye-witness discription of it!

#9 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 08:53 PM

You live in this area don't you. if my thoughts are my own tonight
Be Good!

#10 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 09:19 PM

I live in Alberta yes, but the place where this supposedly happened is in Northern Alberta, way northern Alberta. I live in Calgary, which is Southern Alberta.

#11 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 09:22 PM

oh those aliens are at it again. so you must know alot more about this then I do..lol
Be Good!

#12 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 23 October 2004 - 09:46 PM

Not really, just what I found on the net! It's pretty interesting, and kind of morbid when you think that the whole legend is based on cannibalism!

#13 daz

daz

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:07 AM

hay helenhandbaskets, gr8 post and a intresting read

dont you get a feeling of cycles  ohmy.gif (stephen kings- IT)

Daz cool.gif

#14 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Daz! You know, I never thought about it that way, but it's a very interesting comparison! I'm going to have to do some more research, and see if there is a definite cycle. Would be pretty trippy if it was 27 years, doncha think?

#15 Guest_GhostRedcoats_*

Guest_GhostRedcoats_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:39 PM

That's some interesting reading H. Reminds me of the movie 'Ravenous' in several ways.

Now, what connects the Wendigo to this particular story though? Reading it I got the impression that the not-so-good Doctor was 'posessed' by this William Blake's spirit after being holed up in solitude with his dead wife for so long. Easy target.

Or is the Wendigo supposed to be the vessel that carries the spirit....?

Good stuff!

#16 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:30 AM

I'm not sure GRC, could be a little from column "A" a little from column "B".

#17 Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Military history, Reading, Anime, Table Top gaming, Iron Maiden, Hunting, Paintball, etc.

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:08 PM

One of the other stories I have heard of the Wendigo is that it was a tangable being(after a fasion) that would hunt/stalk a person who would get lost in a forest, but it would bied it's time and not strike untill dispair set in on the person. Thought it would torment the lost person by letting him know that he is being hunted.

However I don't know how much of this is true and how much of it was a moral leson for childern, to keep them from wondering out into the woods. After all if the person was killed how would the know how the wendigo acted?

But what ever it is it's a interesting story, though my personal belief in the sprit or creature(what ever it is) is all but non existant.
-------------------------------------------------------
"The warrior who acts out of honour cannot fail. His duty is honour itself. Even his death – if it is honourable – is a great reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#18 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:09 PM

Dire Wolf, the cop from canada welcome to the new site, its cool when people from thee area of topic reply
Be Good!

#19 Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Military history, Reading, Anime, Table Top gaming, Iron Maiden, Hunting, Paintball, etc.

Posted 29 October 2004 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(ceaser @ Oct 29 2004, 04:09 PM)
Dire Wolf, the cop from canada welcome to the new site, its cool when people from thee area of topic reply
View Post

Ya I kind of missed the site. Didn't like the filler board, but now that this one is up...

I wouldn't mind learning more about the wendigo. I should really as my father, he has been to a number of sweat lodges, and used to talk with the District jails native counsler, he might have heard some stories from up here, I'll look into that.
-------------------------------------------------------
"The warrior who acts out of honour cannot fail. His duty is honour itself. Even his death – if it is honourable – is a great reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#20 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:37 PM

Be sure to post your findings DireWolf. I'm really fascinated by the legend of the Windego. Especially the beginnings of it! Nice to see you here on the new board fellow Canuck! wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users