• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 1 Samuel 28

1 Samuel 28

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Biblical scholar and Family Consultant who has always been intrigued by the paranormal. I am genuinely interested in people's beliefs about the supernatural. I have found my life's purpose in helping others and believe that truth is objective.

We can ALL be wrong, but we can't ALL be right...

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:33 PM

Puppy-sized spiders... I don't think so.

http://abc7chicago.c...8189/#gallery-2

"I am not mad; there are colours that we cannot see.
And, God help me! the cursed Thing is of such a colour!"- Ambrose Bierce

#2 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

Don't Mess With Me

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:37 PM

My arachnophobia & I wanted to say thank you for the post. :)

#3 jlemich

jlemich

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Playing with my dogs.
    Drinking wine LOL
    Learning more about
    the paranormal...

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:55 PM

holy moly that gave me the skeves!

#4 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:00 PM

Hmmm...  I'm not sure what to think.  I know tarantulas are harmless though, and that seems to be one in the picture... But I don't like spiders, so I would have to agree with your "nope" lol

Posted Image

"Somehow through it all...  We carry on...

Raise you up when you fall...  We carry on...

Bury the past...  Wounds remain...  Through it all...  A desire to live again"

#5 Shawn4233

Shawn4233

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, Horror Movies, Music, Traveling, Meeting New People, Sports, Friends, Chatting, Video Games, Concerts, Food, TV, New Experiences, Having A Good Time, Laughing, Making Others Laugh, Helping Others.

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

You know what I call a harmless spider? A dead spider.
www.twitter.com/speer989
www.facebook.com/hickoryvfw6166

#6 Themilkmanfromhell

Themilkmanfromhell

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I'm a crossroads demon. Come make a deal with me and I'll make all your dreams come true.

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:02 PM

It's so cute

#7 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:25 PM

Yikes! I owned a pet store and sold them when I was in my twenties. But no one would even consider buying one unless I let them run up and down my arm first. They weren't big sellers even with the show I would put on.  :pirate:  
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#8 chips1310

chips1310

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:All things spooky

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:39 PM

Nope, no, non....I think I would burn my house to the ground if I found one of them in it !
Ignorance is refusing to believe what we dont understand

#9 vave82GStudy

vave82GStudy

The Fairy with an Attitude

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:44 PM

Oh gosh. Enough said!!!!

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 24 October 2015 - 09:25 PM, said:

Yikes! I owned a pet store and sold them when I was in my twenties. But no one would even consider buying one unless I let them run up and down my arm first. They weren't big sellers even with the show I would put on.  :pirate:  

Jim!!!!!!!!! Enough said. LOL

#10 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:45 AM

View PostShawn4233GStudy, on 24 October 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

Lol true story!

Wow... I agree with vave.... enough said ^_^

Posted Image

"Somehow through it all...  We carry on...

Raise you up when you fall...  We carry on...

Bury the past...  Wounds remain...  Through it all...  A desire to live again"

#11 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

It's a misleading photo because of forced perspective. The spider is not as big as it looks in the image, it is just a lot closer to the camera than the guy's hand. It would have to be a pretty small puppy to be the same size as the largest spiders now. There may have been larger than puppy sized spiders way back in dinosaur times when there was more oxygen in the atmosphere, but spiders are as large as they can get now with the reduced oxygen levels.

The biggest one now ( same as in the link above ) can get a leg span of 12 inches at the most, with a slightly smaller body than that.

https://en.wikipedia...liath_birdeater

#12 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

Don't Mess With Me

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostShawn4233GStudy, on 24 October 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

You my dear have secured my vote!!

Jim, you let them run up & down your arm? Have mercy my heart could not have handled that. You would have fired me on my 1st day.

#13 chips1310

chips1310

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:All things spooky

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostSnowlord, on 25 October 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

It's a misleading photo because of forced perspective. The spider is not as big as it looks in the image, it is just a lot closer to the camera than the guy's hand. It would have to be a pretty small puppy to be the same size as the largest spiders now. There may have been larger than puppy sized spiders way back in dinosaur times when there was more oxygen in the atmosphere, but spiders are as large as they can get now with the reduced oxygen levels.

The biggest one now ( same as in the link above ) can get a leg span of 12 inches at the most, with a slightly smaller body than that.

https://en.wikipedia...liath_birdeater

Whether its one inch or twelve, I would still hit the bugger with a brick :)
Ignorance is refusing to believe what we dont understand

#14 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:33 PM

I love spiders... Awesome creatures...

#15 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

Don't Mess With Me

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

View Postchips1310, on 25 October 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

Whether its one inch or twelve, I would still hit the bugger with a brick :)
Please do.

#16 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:01 AM

View Postchips1310, on 25 October 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

Whether its one inch or twelve, I would still hit the bugger with a brick :) ...

I feel the same, but I am trying to get that under control. As a nature photographer I think it would help me to be able to relax around spiders and their kin, and to treat them with respect like the rest of nature that I enjoy. But it is not easy. Fear of spiders runs deep in my family, as it does with most people I guess.

Anyway ... I am practicing and getting gradually less fearful as I go along. Here is a shot I managed to get of a Black and Yellow Garden Spider ( Argiope aurantia ) running up a friend's arm. Very hard to concentrate when looking at that close up. Also a shot of a large Fishing Spider or Dock Spider ( Dolomedes ) that hitched a ride back with me, in my folded tent,  from my camping trip this summer. I put him in a white porcelain bowl and did a photo shoot with him. Clicking the links will bring up the photos, so be warned.

http://i22.photobuck...15/DSCN4538.jpg

http://i22.photobuck...15/DSCN4875.jpg

#17 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

I agree with Snowlord... I can see the spider (tarantula) presented in the article being under 12 inches. But still huge!  :ermm:

Posted Image

largest is Theraphosa blondi known as a bird eater it can reach to one foot
I suspect this one is probably just over 10 inches

Posted Image
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#18 vave82GStudy

vave82GStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

This post gives me the creeps! And just to top it up, last year we had a wetter than normal May (which, normally is considered dry season already) and all that rain must have flushed some spiders out of their burrows...

My husband went to the garage and all in a sudden I hear him saying: "Oh wow (well, 'wow' wasn't really the word LOL) look at the size of this bad boy!!!" and then I knew... I knew it was something I wouldn't like!! And it was no snake, it was an eastern Tarantula :confused0068: !! This:

http://www.qm.qld.go...rs#.Vi7MEPkrKM8

It was a male, size about 5 inch (females normally are double the size) and a friend of his has one as a pet and came to collect this one from our garage. Terrifying!!!!!!!!! After calling pest control, the guy told me that tarantulas laugh at his insecticides. Oh gosh. Gotta love living in the tropics!!!!!

#19 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

Don't Mess With Me

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

If I saw any of these I would throw up in my mouth a little bit & be dead before I hit the ground.  I feel that I can wrangle a lot of things bugs, snakes just not spiders.  Not for love or money. Snowlord, I commend you on your spider therapy & wish you the very best of luck.

#20 vave82GStudy

vave82GStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

View PostMichelleGStudy, on 26 October 2015 - 05:53 PM, said:

If I saw any of these I would throw up in my mouth a little bit & be dead before I hit the ground.  I feel that I can wrangle a lot of things bugs, snakes just not spiders.  Not for love or money. Snowlord, I commend you on your spider therapy & wish you the very best of luck.

Michelle, I hear you!! As soon as I saw the beast, I managed not to faint and took the kids out despite it was their nap time... I then told my husband, it's me or the spider LOL!!! I left until someone came to collect it :D :D Snowlord, I, too, wish you all the best with that.... OMG!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users