• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 LadyAugust

LadyAugust

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:27 PM

I was recently reading about the Dyatlov Pass Incident which, among the cryptozoology community, is sometimes regarded as a renowned yeti encounter. Some of the corpses at the scene were irradiated. In my mind, this would lead me to believe this was not a yeti-related incident. But are there are other encounters and deaths attributed to the yeti that also note high doses of radiation as a clue? Is radioactivity ever a factor in other accounts of the yeti?

#2 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,050 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

Heya, welcome to the forums! :)

Yes, this incident is interesting. I've never heard the yeti theory before, and never any mention of radioactivity associated with bigfoots. Plue they found the footprints in the snow of the party, but no other footprints, either by animals or other people.  There are some reports by others in the general area of glowing orange orbs, which actually have been reported in many UFO sightings, but UFO's being responsible for this is unlikely IMO.

The radiation was found in traces on their clothing, and the most likely source was Thorium, used in  the mantles of their camping lanterns. Thorium emits alpha particle radiation. The mantles need changing quite often, and the old ones would kind of crumble into dust.

I did find an article which does a great job of going over the possibilities, some of which I think may be likely  https://amnationalis...mystery-solved/
Posted Image

#3 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

I read about that incident. It's kind of scary, when you think about it. Going out on a skiing trip and everyone ends up dead, but with nothing to account for the deaths. OML, Seriously! I would never have gone hiking or skiing there.  I'm sorry, but when a mountain's name is 'Mt Otorten' (which means “Don’t go there”), I sure as heck wouldn't go; I'd avoid it like the plague.  IMO, your asking for trouble; you'd be pushing your luck, way too far. It's like asking Karma, to turn around and bite you on the bum, :no:

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 19 July 2016 - 03:22 PM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Ahque Wunantash Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget 9/11/2001)

Posted Image

My Shop

#4 LadyAugust

LadyAugust

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, it's certainly perplexing! Thanks for the reading material, VlawdeGStudy! I had heard the avalanche theory somewhat debunked before but was unfamiliar with the infrasound theory which seems pretty plausible. I'd seen a supposed photo of a yeti taken by the group but I think it was fabricated (and if it wasn't, it didn't warrant a mention in their journals which seems a bit bizarre).

#5 buffamy

buffamy

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:01 AM

This case shares many characteristics with some 'Missing 411' cases in North America. Military involvement, bodies found without shoes/boots, etc

#6 LadyAugust

LadyAugust

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

View Postbuffamy, on 23 July 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

This case shares many characteristics with some 'Missing 411' cases in North America. Military involvement, bodies found without shoes/boots, etc
Hi, Buffamy! I'm pretty fascinated by this story...would it be possible for you to share a link or two about these 411 cases? I'd love to know more!

#7 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:31 AM

Here are some links to Missing 411. it's a documentary and a book

CANAM Project

Missing 411-Youtube

Missing 411 - Inquisitor

CANAM & Missing 411 (book retailer)

Ahque Wunantash Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget 9/11/2001)

Posted Image

My Shop

#8 LadyAugust

LadyAugust

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:31 AM

Wow, had no clue about this phenomenon. It looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks!

#9 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

You're welcome.

Posted Image

My Shop

#10 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:40 PM

View PostMacCionoadha, on 25 July 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Here are some links to Missing 411. it's a documentary and a book

CANAM Project

Missing 411-Youtube

Missing 411 - Inquisitor

CANAM & Missing 411 (book retailer)

Thank you, Mac for posting the links to the Missing 411.  I stayed up so late last night listening to Coast to Coast on Youtube with George Knapp and that Palides fellow that I fell asleep at my desk and couldn't get up this morning.  Very very interesting stuff.  Oh, I'm tempted to buy the books.  I actually don't know what to think (except I wouldn't want to be the first or last person in a line of hikers in a National Park).  Fourteen hundred people over 250 years isn't really a lot of people gone missing IMO although the circumstances and resulting facts are just plain strange.

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 19 July 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

Heya, welcome to the forums! :)

Yes, this incident is interesting. I've never heard the yeti theory before, and never any mention of radioactivity associated with bigfoots. Plue they found the footprints in the snow of the party, but no other footprints, either by animals or other people.  There are some reports by others in the general area of glowing orange orbs, which actually have been reported in many UFO sightings, but UFO's being responsible for this is unlikely IMO.

The radiation was found in traces on their clothing, and the most likely source was Thorium, used in  the mantles of their camping lanterns. Thorium emits alpha particle radiation. The mantles need changing quite often, and the old ones would kind of crumble into dust.

I did find an article which does a great job of going over the possibilities, some of which I think may be likely  https://amnationalis...mystery-solved/

Here's a horror movie for you, Vlawde.   They based "Devil's Pass" on the Dyatlov Pass tragedy.  Little bit of everything mentioned in the report.  I won't give away anymore information than that except that I didn't care for it.
The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#11 buffamy

buffamy

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:55 PM

Besides the Missing 411 documentary + numerous interviews, David Paulides and the CANAM Project have actually released 6 books of these sorts of strange disappearances...
  • 3 books of cases in national parks and wilderness areas in the United States and Canada.
  • 1 book of cases in national parks and wilderness areas worldwide.
  • 1 book of missing hunters.
  • 1 book of cases of college students disappearing on campus/in town.
In interviews Mr Paulides admits that the evidence he's gathered does suggest these people have been intelligently preyed upon (though he abstains from forwarding any personal theories, which I think is a smart decision).

I've also heard him say that it seems like no one ever gets away and that this seemingly 100% success rate of the culprits (however many different culprits there may be) is baffling to him. But what he doesn't mention, or at least I haven't heard him do so (maybe he has), is that his organization has been contacted by reputable witnesses who HAVE got away and who's reports make sense of much of the odd scenarios many of these cases present.

No doubt part of the reason him and his team don't release this info is they want to let readers and listeners make up their own minds based on the cold hard facts being presented, and that information being held back is for purposes of corroborating people's stories... someone's story is a lot more convincing if they know something that's never been publicly released.

So while I think him and his team are doing good work researching and raising awareness about strange disappearances (that fit this profile they've come up with), I find his claims that no one seems to get away a bit disingenuous. Also I feel there's some cases he presents that've been too quickly included that had some very plausible explanations which, if his team had exercised due diligence, would've caused these cases to be left out of the discussion.

:)

#12 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

View Postbuffamy, on 29 July 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

Besides the Missing 411 documentary + numerous interviews, David Paulides and the CANAM Project have actually released 6 books of these sorts of strange disappearances...
  • 3 books of cases in national parks and wilderness areas in the United States and Canada.
  • 1 book of cases in national parks and wilderness areas worldwide.
  • 1 book of missing hunters.
  • 1 book of cases of college students disappearing on campus/in town.
In interviews Mr Paulides admits that the evidence he's gathered does suggest these people have been intelligently preyed upon (though he abstains from forwarding any personal theories, which I think is a smart decision).

I think so too.  I noticed that about the interview he had with George.  I had never heard this before "Missing 411".  So it was really interesting for me and I appreciate the fact that you mentioned it.  I wouldn't normally have bothered yet Mac posted the link and I wasn't serious about anything at the time.  (smiles)

I've also heard him say that it seems like no one ever gets away and that this seemingly 100% success rate of the culprits (however many different culprits there may be) is baffling to him. But what he doesn't mention, or at least I haven't heard him do so (maybe he has), is that his organization has been contacted by reputable witnesses who HAVE got away and who's reports make sense of much of the odd scenarios many of these cases present.

I didn't hear him give a 100% not found, because he mentioned that those found couldn't remember what happened to them and basically were messed up in the head (who wouldn't be) which led George to prod him for what he thought but Paulides (thanks for the spelling) still didn't say although he is associated with MUFON (I think I have that spelled right) I don't know if he chases after Big Foot or not but he did mention that he has a keen interest in Native American folklore (full of Big Foot)and that was interesting.  Plus he spoke of New Zealanders or Icelanders who tend to shy away from boulders (those huge rocks) because something lives in them.  So I would call him pretty liberal and that's fine with me. (grins)

No doubt part of the reason him and his team don't release this info is they want to let readers and listeners make up their own minds based on the cold hard facts being presented, and that information being held back is for purposes of corroborating people's stories... someone's story is a lot more convincing if they know something that's never been publicly released.
So while I think him and his team are doing good work researching and raising awareness about strange disappearances (that fit this profile they've come up with), I find his claims that no one seems to get away a bit disingenuous. Also I feel there's some cases he presents that've been too quickly included that had some very plausible explanations which, if his team had exercised due diligence, would've caused these cases to be left out of the discussion.

Agreed although I had some questions myself...like people's stupidity on the trail....or making assumptions that people/children would take the easiest route which he thought would be moving downward while I think (knowing boys) they would climb upward and if I were lost and thought a peak might get me noticed by search planes over going into the forest....I had questions.  All in all, it was fun except when I fell asleep at the desk and dropped my head.  Scared myself.  LOL  Thanks!!

:)

The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#13 buffamy

buffamy

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:30 PM

View PostMenet, on 29 July 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

I didn't hear him give a 100% not found...

I think you misunderstood. I didn't say anything about the % of people found. I said I've heard Mr Paulides comment that the perpetrators (the kidnappers or killers) seem to have a 100% success rate, so he's playing this like he's never spoken to anyone who's been targeted and escaped or avoided capture (who's story checks out or who he believes anyway). This is a reason why I find him a bit disingenuous (and walking kind of a tenuous line at times), because his presentations are a bit of an act because I know he's been contacted by people who've gotten away and who he knows or believes is telling the truth. He pretends to know less than he does and, I find, will play things up a little. This doesn't mean the facts he relays are incorrect and that he's not doing good investigative work, it just means that there's a small element of theater here in how he presents himself.

David's well-acquainted with Bigfoot and UFO research and stories about various sorts of creatures and places native people around the world avoid. I have no doubt he personally thinks a significant portion of these cases involve cryptids and UFO abduction-like goings on. I also have no doubt he thinks there are other culprits and explanations his audience would similarly find extremely odd (like 'time slips' etc), but these aren't the sorts of stories or theories he wishes to relay professionally. The approach of simply saying "here's the facts folks', "sure is strange isn't it?" allows him to reach a much wider audience and encourages people to try and make sense of the mysterious circumstances themselves (without coloring their opinions by forwarding possible explanations).

You bring up the simple factors of people acting stupidity on the trail or young children choosing to climb instead of moving in the direction of least resistance. It's very possible that in some cases the individuals involved were acting stupidly or made different choices than search and rescue would tend to assume. That said though, these points are moot if the distance an individual is found to have traveled is way beyond what is sensible to think an athletic adult or child could manage (in the time they had and considering the terrain). The distance traveled is still a mystery.

With a lot of these strange disappearances, if the exact same thing were to happen to say someone in Europe a couple hundred years ago, their friends and families would shrug and comment that these people must've been 'fairied' away (and consider this a perfectly acceptable conclusion) (and maybe be right) :)

#14 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:55 AM

Good morning, Buffamy.

Sorry to say my thought process' aren't always linear but you do very well.  No doubt, there are exceptional circumstances mentioned and his profiles are dependent on them.  I have no intention of disagreeing with anything that you have pointed out because it does make the topic less interesting and there are points the both of you brought up that are certainly confounding such as distances traveled.  But, there will always be exceptions to any rule of thumb when trying to understand something that is in and of itself mysterious.

People are known to do impossible things when confronted with dire circumstances such as lifting a car from a trapped individual as an example.  If we looked, we probably could come up with a surprising number of these kinds of examples.  People do astonishing things when it never occurs to them that they are not capable of doing such things.

He does point out some really odd stuff, no doubt about it and I was left mystified but he got me where he wanted me.  In the grasp of his mysteries.  lol

Now let me tell you what I thought of during all this that prevented me from giving you my full attention...I wondered exactly how creative are we as individuals and as a whole...meaning collective consciousness for lack of a better word (you may have one..smiles) let's use Native American lore as an example, he used it also.  Their world is not our world.  Their explanations for their existence is not those of what we were taught.  I don't like to use the word primitive but it certainly isn't scientific by any means.  Just an explanation (that they believe) for their existence.

Beliefs are very powerful IMO and so are people IMO so much so that the creative process lends itself to a reality that seems impossible yet exists.  UFO's, Big Foot, Ghosts, Science (lol)  Time slips.  I love that one because it's just another mystery.  My mind was wandering while talking to you, but it was fun and I was glad to have someone else who likes to consider the possibilities.

#15 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:19 AM

I had to take a look for examples of superhuman feats just because of the example I used which is considered an urban legend.  http://www.livescien...uman-feats.html

I have things to do..although it's now raining outside.  Huh.

Edited by Menet, 30 July 2016 - 05:20 AM.

#16 buffamy

buffamy

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:56 AM

Good morning Menet

Whatever astonishing feats we are capable of, remember that we're discussing individuals who are found dead or can't remember in cases involving more odd elements than simply the location they're found or the distance they traveled etc. These are not cases that can be explained by someone simply performing a 'super human' feat that investigators + search and rescue don't think is possible.

When faced with all the facts, and the profiles that emerge, most investigators will admit that many of these individuals appear to have been preyed upon... not only that, but preyed upon by a predator or predators who appear exceedingly capable (and sometimes appear to have a level of foreknowledge that's unsettling). The ease with which some kidnappings and killings seem to have been carried out leaves investigators scratching their heads as to what methods are even being employed by the perpetrators. Even the cause of death is often a big question mark or perplexing, and most of the time there's no real 'evidence' left behind besides just an odd set of events or circumstances - the profiles Mr Paulides is drawing attention to.

Edited by buffamy, 30 July 2016 - 07:12 AM.

#17 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

Hi!

I get what you are saying and I get his implications.  I don't think we are speaking of different things here.  Just what's more interesting to each of us as a result of...I only listened to one interview and tried another but it appeared to be a rehash and I wasn't interested in rehashing anything he had to say.  It's all very mysterious but in some instances maybe not.  I would have to read at least one of his books and I'll look for one when I head for the bookstore today.

Still working on my stuff.

#18 buffamy

buffamy

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostMenet, on 30 July 2016 - 07:34 AM, said:

I get what you are saying and I get his implications.  I don't think we are speaking of different things here.  Just what's more interesting to each of us...

What's most interesting to you?

#19 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:40 AM

Good morning, Buffamy:

First off, I have four more used bookstores to go to.  So I don't have a book and I would really like to read at least one, but here goes:

If you want to know what it is, find out what it is for?  This is nothing original but comes from the explorations of Brian Josephson & John Cramer.  If you want to know more about them, you will have to do the research yourself.  I thought this might be at the back of Mr. Paulides mind when he began exploring primitive cultures and their creation myths.

I also did not hear him speak of people who have been assigned to the care of the forest (let's center on the forests in the U.S. for now) aka National Parks if that's alright with everyone.  Rangers and Fire Fighters come to mind.  There may be others but those come to mind.  An easy target for whatever is going on out in those National Parks yet I don't recall him mentioning any (another reason to read his books) missing person that were either of these professionals. The easiest target would be Forest Rangers.  I would think that Fire Fighters would be an easy target also during structured burn offs.  The wrench in this could be Axemen but its still early and we don't know.

Basically my thoughts were something is happening to people in our National Parks.   People who do not belong there.  Men, women and children.  Trespassers, basically.  And whatever, basically avoids tight knit groups of people.  I wonder if we can put the lumber jacks there aka Axemen?  Huh?  They work with dangerous equipment and know where one another is at any given moment when lumbering.

Oh well, that's basically what I was rolling around in my mind.

#20 buffamy

buffamy

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

Well all I was asking is what's most interesting to you about this topic. Are you saying that what most interests you is that the people disappearing are people who (as you put it) 'don't belong there'?

I know there's been a Park Ranger who was never found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users