15 replies to this topic

#1 anndrija

anndrija

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

Hey Everyone,

It's been a long while since I've been on the GS Message board but something strange happened (again) last night so I thought I'd share.  For the last 8 years or so I've been experiencing what can only be described as a type of sleep paralysis, at least that's what I tell myself so I don't freak out.  Last night it happened again, but it was something very different happened.  Let me give you a brief history...

One of the first times it happened was right after Jim and I went nosing around a haunted location in Sacramento without saying an opening/closing prayer.  After being asleep a while I felt something press me down into my bed just enough to wake me, then once I was awake it forcefully held me down.  Though I couldn't open my eyes nor move I could hear my cat on the bed hissing at something and heard some evil laughter in my ear.  The only thing I can compare the laughter to is Tim Curry's devil character in the film Legend, if anyone has seen it.  That sounds super cheesy I know.  Once it finally released me I sat up and my cat was in the other room staring at a corner of my bedroom.  Feeling strongly that whatever it was was still in that corner on the room I bolted to the living room and FINALLY after quite a while, fell back asleep.  In the morning when undressing to take a shower I noticed red welt hand prints on my back.  I wish I would have taken an photo.  Anyways, that was one of the first experiences that comes to mind.  

Most of the experiences have been similair.  I always get pushed down just enough to be woken then am forcefully held down.  I almost always hear the evil laughter in my ear, often accompanied by the warm moisture of breath of my ear as the laughter is taking place.  It happens often early in the morning around 5-6am.  Several years ago I saw a program about Incubus/Succubus where a woman reported the same experiences I have.  Her solution to make it release was to recite a prayer.  Since viewing that I always recite either a "hail mary" or an "our father".  They ALWAYS work, so if anyone else is experiencing this and needs a way to have it release, try it.  

I recently moved and am fairly convinced that there is SOMETHING going on in our house.  I think it's a woman but I'm not sure.  Things disappear, cabinets/drawers open, blinds move, and I've more than once hear a woman screaming.  But I don't think that has anything to do with the paralysis.  Last night I was awoken the same way, heard the same laughter etc, but this time it spoke to me.  It was not just laughing but SPEAKING to me.  But I was so afraid I didn't stop to listen.  It said something to me to which I responded "f off!" then I remember the prayers and set in with the Our Father.  As always before you can recite more than 3 sentances of it, it's gone.  It was the same demonic sounding voice that I've been hearing since 1994 so I'm certain it doesn't have to do with our new house, just me.  Now I'm wondering what it was saying.  Does anyone else have experiences like this?  I'd love to think it's just sleep paralysis but I'm not sure.  I wish I could have endured the experience long enough to hear what it was saying.  The only thing I remember is a lot of swear words.  So anyways, that was my experience last night, when I looked at the clock it was 12:20am.  If anyone has any input I'd love to hear it.  Thanks guys!  You can also message me at the GS Myspace account, I'm going to do some work on there today.  www.myspace.com/ghoststudy

Anndrija

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,985 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:01 AM

Whoa!   ohmy.gif  She makes an appearance!!  Hehe

It's been ages since I've seen Jim around here, aside from a few updates on the GS website...but I remember when he and his former partner did some demon inverstigations and stopped because of things that were happening. Do you think perhaps since your first experience was after being out with Jim that it may be connected?

Also, I'm wondering what you think about the prayer part. I gues what I am asking is, if one doesn't necessarily have "faith" per se, or share the same religious beliefs, do prayers still work because it repels evil, or is it one's belief in prayer/god that make it work?

Posted Image

#3 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:11 AM

Anndrija,

First of all,  let me say that I am sorry you are going through all this, and I believe that you are having a series of genuine, profoundly terrifying experiences.  I have had night terrors off & on since childhood and I understand how rough this sort of thing can be.

I tend to go with the method of looking for natural answers first, because I believe that to be the most likely source for things that are perceived as paranormal.  I am not saying you are not having real experiences, so please no not be offended.  I am not even saying this is not a series of real paranormal events.

Most of what you are relating sounds like sleep paralysis type stuff,  except maybe for the hand prints.  I have heard of people getting welts and marks from purely mental stimuli, but as I recall, that is a controversy in itself.  I won't say that I hope it happens to you again, but you should try to document it if it does.

I think there is a clue in the sound of the laughter.  The devil in the movie "Legend" is a powerful image of evil.  It would not be unbelievable for your mind to use that for fuel in a night terror or sleep paralysis episode.  I know that I do this myself.

Vlawde brings up an interesting question on prayer & faith.  Again, I approach it from the sleep paralysis view.  Time is often subjective in these situations.  While a few seconds can seem endless if you are in a complete terror, saying a prayer could occupy you and have a calming affect, making the time seem to pass more quickly.  This would make it seem as though the prayer had chased off the "demon", which figuratively speaking, it kinda did.

Regardless of the cause, I would say you should find a way to reassure yourself of your safety.  It seems like prayer is working for you pretty good.  Do you ever find yourself afraid to go to sleep?  That sort of side trouble is just as much to be avoided as the event itself.  If you feel these episodes are affecting your daily life, I would suggest that you prepare yourself every day for one.  Find your weapon(like prayer), make a plan, be prepared to deal with the problem.  Remind yourself that there is nothing this can throw at you that you can not handle, and while it might be terrifying at the time, you will come through it.  When you are prepared, confident & strong, your problem will most likely go away.  I stand by that statement no matter what is causing these events.  I hope this is a help to you.

Canis

Edited by caniswalensis, 05 June 2008 - 08:14 AM.

#4 mizzwaves

mizzwaves

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:ASIDE FROM BEING A SUPERNATURAL BUFF I WATCH A LOT OF MOVIES AND T.V. I MEAN A LOT. REALLY. A LOT. AS LONG AS IT'S GOOD, I'LL WATCH IT. OF COURSE ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS IS T.A.P.S. I REALLY DON'T GET NEARLY ENOUGH SLEEP SO I DO THAT WHENEVER I CAN. I HAVE THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS DREAMS SO I'M KINDA BIG INTO DREAM INTERPRETATION ALSO. I WOULD CALL MYSELF A SENSITIVE. I WON'T GET MAD IF YOU DON'T. I WENT A WHOLE WEEK ONCE IN A CONSTANT STATE OF DE JA VU. AS IF WHEN IT HAPPENS OCCASIONALLY ISN'T UNNERVING ENOUGH. ANYWAYS...THAT'S ME.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:13 AM

I am so conflicted about this whole sleep paralysis thing. I had 2 or 3 occurances fairly recently myself which I have related on here somewhere. And as much as I believed that they were paranormal experiences I have since questioned my own position, except...during one of the "episodes" having been whatever it was... I still don't know. I've never heard or seen anything during these attacks save for once. During one of my last, I was able to turn my head, not very easily mind you, and what I "saw" looked like a creepy smirking face superimposed over my BF's face who was sleeping next to me. Now is that when I should have realized it was a dream? Or is that what should have convinced me it wasn't? Again, I only have these episodes once in a great-great while, but that one was different. And I was scared out of my mind. For awhile after that I was scared to go to sleep for fear of it happening again seeing as how 2 or 3 nights in a row was out of the norm for me, but I have moved passed it. The only solace I can take from it is that as frightening as it all is, I always come out of it ok. I have never experienced any pain or marks or any real trauma from them, besides the emotional stress of it. My first instinct is "where's the bat?" not "what was that prayer?". I fight and fight and fight. It feels like a power struggle. Like "let's see who can push harder?". Anyways... I'm sorry I have no real answers for you. Just wanted to share. But please be reassured that this does not only happen to you. And thank you for sharing.

"NO GOOD WITHOUT EVIL...
NO INNOCENCE WITHOUT LUST...
NO LIGHT WITHOUT ME...
I AM DARKNESS"
THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS
FROM THE MOVIE LEGEND

#5 anndrija

anndrija

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for you input.  

Vlawde, I'm not sure on the prayer portion.  I'm not a particularly religious person (raised Catholic) but the prayers seem to get me out of the SP.  I have no idea why.  I've tried willing it away in the past and it never works, the only thing that has worked for me is prayer recital.  That's a good point you bring up.  I don't think that it has much to do with Jim's happenings wtih demons.  This was before that whole thing happened, and the house we were nosing around at that night was Dorthea Puente's place.  I have a friend who lives in that house now and she says nothing paranormal ever happens.  So I don't think it was that.  Perhaps it was something in my house at the time, which was very haunted.

caniswalensis, thanks for your input too.  I agree that I have a hard time believing this is more that SP.  I know there are all sorts of hallucinations in association with SP and I think the laughter/breathing is mine.  As far as the prayer thing goes that is uncertain.  I don't think it acts as a calming effect for terror as I'm not generally terrified.  More annoyed that it's happening again (the speaking did get me this time though).  I've tried in the past to will it away as I've said, but it doesn't work.  The only thing that does is the prayer recital.  Perhaps it's something I've built up in my mind to work, therefore it does.  Perhaps watching that show made me think subconsiously it would work, which is why it does, if that makes sense.  I'm not sure.  I'm not really looking for anwswers as much as I am looking for people who share the same symptoms.  It's not affecting my daily life really at all as I'm so used to it now.  It's just bothersome and I find myself staying awake for a while after it happens probably about a half hour.  That's really the only effect on my life it's having.  I'm just more curious if it is something more by chance, what it was trying to say.  

mizzwaves, thanks for your reply.  Glad to know I'm not alone out there! smile.gif  I've never had any real trama from them either.  I've seen a lot of crazy paranormal stuff in my time so these are generally pretty mild.  But when they first started happening it was pretty frightening.  I was reading about SP on Wikipedia.  It was mentioning that most cultures (probably before medical science) attributed the 'attacks' to demons.  I could see why that would happen especially given my hallucination of demonic laughter.  They all reported having a feeling that something evil was in the room with them when the "attack" was over, which I generally do too.  I was also reading about studies on SP and there is no medical explanation for then other than your body being asleep and your mind awake.  It doesn't explain the many things people, see, hear and feel while in a SP episode.  I find it interesting though and will try to research it further and hopefully find more people with SP experiences to compare notes with.  Thanks so much! smile.gif

#6 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

I find SP really interesting too.
I understand the "reasoning" behind why it happens but I am not sure I accept it as 100% factual.
I mean, in all reality, what does anyone know to be the truth?

It has only happened to me a couple times in my life and all of the times were in the same apartment. So, it could be attributed to the fact that I was of a certain age, or my body chemistry at the time made it happen, or it could be that I lived in a weird apartment, built on weird land, that has lots of stories surrounding it as well.

In any event, both my cats, would be awake and looking right where I had seen a figure, or they would just be awake and alert, laying next to me, as opposed to sleeping. I think it's interesting that your cat sort of had the same reaction.
And I know, there will be people that read this that don't agree about animals, seeing as how a house cat can stare at anything for hours on end, and sleep 18 hours a day, but when they are curled up and sleeping in the middle of the night, it usually takes them a few minutes, just like humans, to wake up. Neither of my cats even looked groggy when it happened. They were 100% alert.

Anyway, that's my experience for what it's worth, and I cannot for the life of me remember what was said to me either. I don't believe what I was "told" was bad though, it was almost nonsensical, if my memory serves me.

Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#7 Jamie_ayla

Jamie_ayla

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:15 AM

I've had only one experience with sleep paralysis/old hag syndrome. Please tell me your opinions as this is honestly the weirdest experience in my life.

It was after a long evening of reading scary stories on the internet (a common occurence for me), I went to sleep in my bed with no problems. I would like to state that I had lived in this house for years, had never felt maligned in the house/room, and have never felt in danger since.

I awoke in the middle of the night to an extreme feeling of fear and danger. I honestly feared for my life. I was unable to move and while I did not directly see anything, I felt that there was a evil entity above me. I quickly asked for the lord to protect me (strange for me as I am not very religious-mostly agnostic). This entity/feeling left immediately. After the episode I turned over and went right back to sleep. I did not feel like I was in any more danger and did not feel the need to leave the room.

At first I thought it was a paranormal encounter, but after research I think it was sleep paralysis. But doesn't this usually occur multiple times, it only happened once in my 25 years.

#8 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:49 AM

It was good to see Anndrija start this topic. I had forgotten she posted this. :)

Anndrija was an amazing investigator. Unfortunately, I have lost contact with her at this point. I have posted this on the forums before but Anndrija was with me when a ghost took a large cushy chair from us at the top of the stairs at a haunted Hotel in Folsom CA. After 25 minutes, it reappeared.

And at a Halloween party at her house I and another investigator saw a shadow ghost pass by Anndrija's entertainment center. She asked if I saw it too, and I responded, YES! The most interesting thing about it though was, we both saw it differently. I saw it as long and swirly and she saw it more like a blob.

And as far as Anndrija's cat seeing the attack and hissing at the attacker... all while Anndrija was being held down, rules out Sleep Paralysis. Thus, suggests that such cases are not always a sleep disorder. I remember when Anndrija mentioned the event to me, she was still pretty shaken up.

#9 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:42 AM

Thanks Jim for the added information scary stuff :confused0068:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#10 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for sharing Jim - Folsom would be an interesting place to visit from the sounds of things!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#11 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,985 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

I work in Folsom, I'd live there if it wasn't so expensive! Back 12 or so years ago when the group I was in was getting started, we went to a few of the cemeteries there. Graveyard dead as a doornail (pun intended), nobody got anything, although one member claimed earlier she got tons of EVPs.

After several other uneventful cemeteries, I realized there was no good reason for a spirit to hang around it's rotting, dead body
Posted Image

#12 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:32 PM

I spent two years of my childhood in the town of Folsom. The house we lived in was scary and very much haunted. I faced my fears in that house and because of it, I wanted to dedicate my life to the study of the paranormal.

View PostVlawde, on 09 March 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

We went to a few of the cemeteries there. Graveyard dead as a door-nail (pun intended), nobody got anything, although one member claimed earlier she got tons of EVPs.
After several other uneventful cemeteries, I realized there was no good reason for a spirit to hang around it's rotting, dead body

I agree wholeheartedly! .....For the most part, the only thing you'll find in cemeteries are evil spirits or things that are even worse.

#13 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,985 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

Folsom is relatively old, I don't doubt there are some haunted locations
Posted Image

#14 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:22 PM

The hotel was definitely haunted. But I believe I heard that it's no longer a hotel... but not sure on that.

#15 DrHorribleTime

DrHorribleTime

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

The Hotel still exists. No nightly stays... but monthly for $450 a month. And the bathroom is shared with everyone on the floor.
I'm sure they would welcome paranormal investigators though for an overnight stay. Probably just have to ask.

Posted Image

Edited by DrHorribleTime, 10 March 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#16 Death Omen

Death Omen

Orb

• GS Member
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Oh, about anything related to the "paranormal" since having retired from doing psychotherapy.

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

"Sleep paralysis" is a psychiatric condition that has long been seen, defined, treated, and has zip to do with anything "paranormal". Based on around dealin' with psychiatric disorders and the treatment of such for about 50 yrs. Don't have an M.D. but a couple of Ph.D.s dealing in the area of psychology, treatment of such, and simply experience. If anything science/medical treatment(s) can't be explained, the "paranormal" is always easier than to look into what might have been some traumatic event that might be the cause.
"If you can tell me what is wrong with you then I can help you understand just how wrong you are."

"No you're right. Let's do it the DUBEST WAY POSSIBLE because I I easier or you and everyone else to understand".

"Don't bother trying to figure me out. Not even they little voice in m head understand me".

"I'M RETRED. This is as dressed up as I'm going to get".

"Sorry if I look interested....I'm not".

"People who think they know it all have no clue as to how little they really know."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users