Have You Ever Been Awakened By A Voice Saying Your Name?

• You cannot reply to this topic
49 replies to this topic

#1 ghost137

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Researcher.
    Writer, Artist, Explorer.

Specialties:
    Ancient Myths, Afterlife, Time Travel.

Odd Interests:
    Codes, Ciphers, Physics.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

If you have the time please answer the following research question and follow questions. (It's important to note this isn't a sensitives/psychics question. If you talk with spirits normally this is more for those who have not spoken commonly with spirits. Also if it's "No" please say so and answer the last question.)

So the question this time is...

Have you ever been awakened from sleep by a disembodied voice calling you by name?

If so, was it a familiar voice?

Did you notice anything unusual about its sound?
(like - echo like, a whisper, piercing, startling, distant, above, below, all around, etc)

Anything different when you awoke?

(Colder, hotter, felt different, felt at peace, tingly, frightened, etc.)

Did you take it as a warning, just as unusual, or didn't give it another thought?

If No, Do you consider yourself a more skeptical person, don't care ether way, or have always believed in the paranormal? (Adjusted question to be more fair to skeptics...Yes that's you, Canis.)

Thank you,

Ghost137

Edited by ghost137, 22 March 2010 - 04:39 PM.

My Signature

- Ghost137 4mula -

To reach the 'Witching Hour' start at 24:59:59 + .01 Then Add: -.01(10)-9 till: -00.00.00 < -00.59.59 + (-.01) Add: .01(10)-9 or be lost forever.

#2 Jill_Skellington

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

Have you ever been awakened from sleep by a disembodied voice calling you by name?

Not by name, a whole sentence.

The voice was not familiar, but the thought of the voice 'seemed' to be.

(like - echo like, a whisper, piercing, startling, distant, above, below, all around, etc)

Soft and the words said strung long. As if it were very difficult for the "voice" to reach me.

I was awake when it happened. I was paralyzed , when I finally could move I jolted sitting up.. my heart was racing.

Did you take it as a warning, just as unusual, or didn't give it another thought?

Unusual.

Edited by Jill_Skellington, 22 March 2010 - 02:55 PM.

My Signature

Posted Image

.Oh Jill.

#3 Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

Nice thread, ghost. smile.gif

Yes several times, also by loud crashes with no apparent physical cause.

Yes, it is usually my wifes voice, once or twice, it was another person I knew that i had frequent contact with.

It always seems distant  & somewhat muffled, like from upstairs or the basement of my home.

I sometimes feel a sense of urgency, like I needed to answer & help with something. That feeling disapates quickly.
It was definitely unusual, and I gave it a lot of thought over the years.  This will generally happen to me less than once a year, although I had it happen three times in one month a few years back.  Hearing your own name called is the most common of auditory halucinations.  Also, coming out of sleep, I know that I am in the hypnopompic state, and subject to perceptual errors, as well as confusing reality with dreams.  The loud crashes, I attribute to exploding head syndrome.  While I do not dismiss the paranormal out-of hand, I think my experiences are very easily accounted for by natural explanations.
If No, Do you consider yourself a skeptic, average, or fully open person to the paranormal?

I consider myself a skeptic AND fully open to the paranormal.  This question mischaracterizes true skeptics unfairly. laugh.gif

Thank you,

You are very welcome!  It was my pleasure, in fact. smile.gif

Canis

#4 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

More than once.  I'll stick to the most disturbing time for brevity's sake.

Yes.  It was the voice of a former friend of mine.  I hadn't seen her in about two years before I heard it.

Nothing strikes me as particularly strange about the tone of voice.  I was sleeping in my family room on the sofa.  It was a "double room"... it ran the length of my basement and was roughly 50 feet long, divided by an archway.  I was in the second room against the east wall.  I heard the voice from over by the bar (roughly 30 feet away from me in the northeast corner of the room) and a little higher than I would expect to be coming from the person -- she is about 5'1" and I heard it from near the ceiling.  It said, in my former friend's normal voice:  "Diane, hey, Diane... Diane, wake up!"  I awakened and sat up at the first mention of my name and stared at the area as the sentence was completed.

I got up and walked over to the bar, then looked up the stairs, then went upstairs to make sure everything was OK with the family.  Nothing else unusual happened that night, although I lay awake wondering and worrying if everything was OK with this former friend for the rest of the night.

It bothered me.  It still bothers me roughly five years later.  For a time I contemplated calling her parents (to the best of my knowledge she moved out of the country shortly after we stopped communicating) to see if anything unusual happened with her/to her that night.  I didn't and I feel guilty about it.  I feel she was calling me for a reason and I let the call go unanswered.  She needed me for some reason enough to wake me out of a sound sleep and I let her down.
My Signature
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#5 Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

No ...

And yes, I am extremely sceptical. ( As if anyone here didn't know already)

#6 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,693 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

As Canis said, it's a common auditory hallucination, especially when one in half asleep
My Signature
Posted Image

#7 FreakE

EVP

• GS Member
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Anything fun :)
    I have a fascination with dreams. I have some wild and crazy ones.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE(ghost137 @ Mar 22 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have the time please answer the following research question and follow questions. (It's important to note this isn't a sensitives/psychics question. If you talk with spirits normally this is more for those who have not spoken commonly with spirits. Also if it's "No" please say so and answer the last question.)

I would say only one time by my name. I usually hear random words more so than my name.

Not a familiar one at all. Sounded human like someone was in the room with me, at diff times male and female voices

Only in the fact that it said my name quickly. Wasnt a yell, but hurriedly (sp?) as if it was in sense of urgency

No

Just took it as unsual.

If No, Do you consider yourself a more skeptical person, don't care ether way, or have always believed in the paranormal? (Adjusted question to be more fair to skeptics...Yes that's you, Canis.)

Thank you,

Ghost137

As already said, Im asleep so as far as I know it could be a dream that woke me and I perceived it as hearing it while being awake.

#8 Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE(ghost137 @ Mar 22 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha HA!  I just now saw this!  Thanks! biggrin.gif

#9 LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Several times, I believe

One voice I clearly recognized as my grandmother

No, I wouldn't say it was was exceptionally unusual

Nothing that I can remember resulting especially from the experiences, but for some reason, whenever I am awakened out of a deep sleep I go into a panic attack almost.

When I heard my grandma tell me, "Theresa!  It's time to get up!" it was helpful, lol.  I went into labor at 28 weeks.  I was hospitalized, and made it to 33 weeks.  I live fairly close to the hospital, and was going crazy...so they went ahead and let me go home, although I still had to take meds every 6 hours to stop contractions.  My mom was at work, and I was fast asleep, getting ready to sleep through med time, when I heard my grandma wake me up.  That was the only time I heard a voice, but two other times I almost slept through med time I was awakened by the doorbell ringing, and a phone ringing...and I don't have a phone with a normal ring, just a cell.

Even though I answered yes, I still consider myself quite the skeptical person.  Although I'd like to believe I heard my grandmother's voice, I can't prove it...nor can I prove the other voices I've heard awaken me from sleep.  It's just as likely that I experienced an auditory sleep start (the most common being, hearing your name called).  I've experienced myoclonic jerks on a REGULAR basis (hehe, and I almost quoted Canis, suggesting exploding head syndrome...something I DON'T actually experience, but then saw him already bring it up, lol), so I'd say that I'm pre-disposed to that type of parasom.

On another note, WV superstition is that if you hear your name being called while asleep, its because you've fallen so deeply asleep that you're too close to death, and an angel is calling you back.

Edited by LadyNBlack, 26 May 2010 - 10:57 AM.

My Signature
October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#10 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

I can honestly say no, but if I did I would freak out.
My Signature

#11 BlueRose3

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

No, I was wide awake and sitting at my brothers funeral service a couple of weeks after his death from a terrible motorcycle accident. It took a couple of weeks before they would release his body to us. Long story… Anyways, for some reason everyone left to go to the coffee room except me and an aunt who was sitting beside me. This was the first and only time the room empted like that. The room was very quiet. Then from right behind me, close to my ear, in a soft voice like as not to let my aunt hear him, my brother said my name. He said it in a way as to say “coo-coo I’m here!” In a jolly voice.  

Yes, it was my brothers voice.

It was spoken in a lowered tone, not a whisper, and was very clear, no echo to it and it came from right behind me as if he was leaning over to talk into my ear from behind me.

I wasn’t asleep but was frustrated because I couldn’t talk to him because my aunt was right there. Frustrated because I couldn’t let him know I heard him. I did not feel any cold or heat or anything else.

I wasn’t frightened. I was glad he came and called my name is such a way as to let me know he was OK.

The first time I heard a spirit was when I was in my mid teens. It was night time and I was in bed but I was sitting up and wide awake. I was going threw a very difficult time. Parents were divorcing…  All of a sudden this very clear voice of a male spoke to me and said a sentence. Sounded exactly as if he was standing in front of me about 3 feet away. Very clear, no echo and in a normal tone of voice. I did not recognize the voice. It did not frightened me and what he said to me took away all my worries and I was instantly at peace and it gave me a new out look on life.

These are the only 2 times I have ever heard a spirit speak when I was fully awake.

The other voices I used to hear in my head (not external like the other 2) was just before falling asleep, sounded like a group of half a dozen people chatting in a corner, I put it down as a falling asleep process. Just people chatting that had nothing to do with me so  never really listened to what was being said UNTIL! LOL…  I heard a voice that was chatting that sounded like my sister-in-laws voice. I said to myself, “Hey that sounds like so-and-so.. Well this voice answered back! LOL. It said, “I’m not so-and-so, I’m …” but at that moment I jump up because I was so surprised the voices answered me back that I didn’t catch her name. I was so surprised that it frightened me and I told myself I never wanted to here those voices again. Well it worked because I never heard them chatting again.

#12 Old Guy

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Mar 23 2010, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As Canis said, it's a common auditory hallucination, especially when one in half asleep

I agree. The brain is an extremely complex electrochemical organ. To me it's a bit of a miracle that we (normally) turn it off each night. And when we turn it back on in the morning, we're still who we were the day before (Usually).
My Signature
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.
||||||^
If you're not skeptical, you're in denial.

#13 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE(Old Guy @ May 27 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. The brain is an extremely complex electrochemical organ. To me it's a bit of a miracle that we (normally) turn it off each night. And when we turn it back on in the morning, we're still who we were the day before (Usually).

That is something to really be astonished by. I find that most of the accounts I get of "I was awakened by...(insert strange occurance here) have to be taken with a grain of salt.
My Signature

#14 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,693 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

All the time when i was a kid. The voice said "Wake up John, you'll be late for school!"
My Signature
Posted Image

#15 Betsy

Apport

• GS Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(ghost137 @ Mar 22 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, this actually just happened to me a couple nights ago. I was laying in bed watching TV and had just dozed off for a minute or two.

It seemed familiar but was hard to make out who exactly because it was a whisper. Could have been my mom or a friend, both of whom as are still alive.

It was a loud whisper and my name was said quickly and urgently. It sounded like the person was right next to my ear.  

I opened my eyes immediately, a little startled, but everything was normal.

I didn't really give it another thought until reading this thread. Strange things have been happening lately so it really didn't phase me.

Thank you,

Ghost137

My Signature

#16 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ May 27 2010, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All the time when i was a kid. The voice said "Wake up John, you'll be late for school!"

LOL we must have had the same ghost, lol.
My Signature

#17 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Mar 24 2010, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was heard and recorded right on the edge of sleep and once analyzed exhibited very flat vocal banding at 100 Hz which isn't the normal human range. This was  my little awakening to the possibility of it being outside RF..

This comes courtesy of Rosemary Ellen Guiley's Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits:

Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits:

Calling Ghosts - Ghosts of the dead or spirits who call out the names of the living to attract their attention and lure them to their death. Calling ghosts are rooted in the superstition that one should never answer the call of a stranger who knows your name and wants you to approach her, for she could be a calling ghost in disguise.

The sirens of Greek mythology are of this type of spirit. The sirens were water nymphs whose beautiful singing lured sailors to their death. They lived on an island between Circe's isle and Scylla. They sat on a flower bed surrounded by the rotting corpses of the men they had killed. In an, they were portrayed as beautiful women or as birds with women's heads and upper bodies. Odysseus defeated the sirens by having his men plug their ears with wax. But because he wanted to hear the song himself, he had himself tied to his ship's mast as it sailed past the sirens.

There is a strong tradition of calling ghosts in Hawaii. According to lore, they are disembodied female voices who call your name at your back and ask you to turn around. If you do so, you make yourself vulnerable to illness or death. They like to catch a person unawares so that the person reacts without thinking.

Was it a recognized voice?

No it wasn't but if I might assume the tone gave me the sense of knowing me...

Unlike many debatable interpretations, there wasn't any doubt that my first and last name was spoken from a woman loud enough for me to awake to it.

No but as mentioned previously it was an awakening because of it calling out my first and last name audibly.

I've continued exploring auditory phenomena and find myself realizing that what might be explained to be primarily "place memory" instead of intelligent by nature.
My Signature
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#18 regjoe1234

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Yes, it was a female voice.

No it was not familiar

It had a slight echo as if one person were speaking with two voices.

Startled, and seeing human shaped shadows out of the corner of my eye.

I didn't know how to take it, so I searched online for a meaning and came across this thread.

Edited by regjoe1234, 22 July 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#19 Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

View Postregjoe1234, on 22 July 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

Yes, it was a female voice.

No it was not familiar

It had a slight echo as if one person were speaking with two voices.

Startled, and seeing human shaped shadows out of the corner of my eye.

I didn't know how to take it, so I searched online for a meaning and came across this thread.

Hi regjoe and welcome to the GS boards!! :happy0045:

Is this something that happens regularly?  I'd be very interested to hear more about it. Feel free to post a brand new thread with your experiences/questions in either the Let's Talk About Ghosts or Need Help With a Haunting? sections.
My Signature
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#20 lilypad

Apport

• GS Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Yes.

Yes, it was my sister's voice.

It was piercing - sounded as if she was yelling right into my ear.

Very shaken and startled because it sounded as if she was right there - and we live 40 miles apart.

I was too startled to do anything but automatically answer "What????" and jump out of bed as if she was really there. And then as soon as I did, I heard her yell, from downstairs, "I'm here!" Only she wasn't. So I called her right away and she was home, and fine.

If No, Do you consider yourself a more skeptical person, don't care ether way, or have always believed in the paranormal?

I am skeptical - but open minded. I believe in the possibility of the paranormal. My sister told me later that her husband has also had the experience of hearing her come in their house when she's not home (and she's had the same experience with him).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com