Evp Advice - Analysis

• You cannot reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic

#1 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:48 AM

Hi All,

I have started my EVP research however I need to alter my test container after several hours of recoding as even though it was quite good at sound proofing (ie my shouting voice was quite quiet when close by) I was picking up alot of thuds and sounds of movement in my switched off fridge in my garage which I can only think as coming through ground vibrations from either our house, next doors or traffic.

So I am rethinking the design to isolate these vibrations but would like to ask a question about EVP's

Question: As I am recording hours and hours worth of audio data is there a way (other than listening to the whole audio stream) of looking for possible EVP's using software etc.

I am currently using Audacity to listen to the audio. Is there anything better or any advice on using Audacity.
Thanks
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

#2 CuriousGeorge

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Applying as much science as possible to paranormal investigation.

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:10 AM

I'm partial to Wavepad;  I think the various controls and commands are a bit more user-intuitive.
What I do is stretch out the waveform until it is moving as fast as I am comfortable watching. Then I hold down the fast forward button
until I see a little blip on the flatline waveform, indicating some sort of sound in the background hum.
I listen, analyze if needed, and fast forward on to the next one.
Speeds things up, but on the flip side, you spend hours watching a boring waveform slide past.

#3 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:25 AM

What's the point in such long unattended passive sessions?
My Signature

#4 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

Hi CDS

I am doing extended periods as part of my research into EVP's

I am building a reasonable sound proofed container, it's not going to 100% but close I hope.
I will then heavily wrap the container in enough heavy duty Aluminium foil to shield from External EMF.

A lot of people say that EVP's are either...
Electrical Interference
Radio Interference
External sounds
etc

I am going to place my container in various locations that I (is) considered non-haunted or having no so called paranormal activity and running lots of tests of hours of recording with the following....

No Noise and No Verbal Interactions.
White Noise and No Verbal Interactions.
Pink Noise and No Verbal Interactions.
Brown Noise and No Verbal Interactions.
No Noise and Verbal Interactions.
White Noise and Verbal Interactions.
Pink Noise and Verbal Interactions.
Brown Noise and Verbal Interactions.

The first lots of test will be with no verbal interactions from myself. ie I will leave it all alone for the hour so the the recorder is just recording. I will also have another recorder in the container with this playing white noise, pink noise and brown noise in each individual test.

Then I shall run the same tests again but this time I shall sit nearby and I shall be verbally interacting with the enviroment by encouraging anything to leave a message on the recorder or interact with the recorder's electricals to make a sound.

I will then slowly go to different locations non-haunted locations and then work my way up doing the same to locations that are considered haunter or having paranormal activity.

My theory is that if EVP's are the result of Interference then I should get the same average of "noise" in the recordings regardless of each test I do and at each different location I am at.
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

#5 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Wow a lot of work but very thorough :yes:

IF you have an eXtremely quiet environment and a good mic/recording unit that doesn't generate too many weird noises, then using Audacity first copy your recording then goto Effect => Noise Removal. Now check a few seconds to a few minutes to make sure of your recording to make sure there are no EVPs then select that area for the "Get Noise Profile" and remove it from your recording. Now blow everything up {or Amplify} and any place there is an anomaly should be easier to see with a quick visual scan. If you find any blips give it a listen and also check the original copy since filtering can change the sound.

I hope that helps :)
My Signature
- siguie -

#6 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:57 AM

Cheers for the info.

Thorough yes, it is the only way to rule most things out.
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

#7 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

Well it really depends on what you are testing and trying to rule out BUT if you think EVPs are due to electrical interference and or radio frequency intrusion why not make an analog AM/FM transmitter then roll through the frequencies while transmitting a constant tone. That way when the frequency matches your equipment choice and something does get through you not only show that EVPs can/could be from stray radio signals you will be able to figure out what frequency and then transmit actual words and see if they come through.

Lots of electrical equipment pick up radio signals BUT only at specific frequencies AND not all RF interference picked up this way is discernible as audio ... sometimes it is but most of the time it's just static.

What you are doing is very useful :yes: but from what it sounds like you are trying to show it may be more definitive to figure out how to create the problem first THEN what works to prevent it :yes:

Anyways, just a thought this really isn't an area I know much about :no:
My Signature
- siguie -

#8 CuriousGeorge

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Applying as much science as possible to paranormal investigation.

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

Three cheers to you for the effort to experiment and investigate. It is a rare thing in this field of 'study'.
I will be very interested to hear your results and conclusions.

#9 Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

So, instead of going to the trouble of wrapping something in aluminum foil (which is conductive) what if you stuffed a microwave full of egg crate foam?  (Not plugged in, of course.). They're smallish, easily portable and built to both be non-conductive and block radio frequencies.  And you can get soundproofing egg crate fairly cheap and easy.
My Signature
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#10 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:06 AM

Since you're being so meticulous, perhaps you would like to add a vacuum to the equation... :crazy:
My Signature

#11 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostCDS, on 15 March 2016 - 03:06 AM, said:

Since you're being so meticulous, perhaps you would like to add a vacuum to the equation... :crazy:

I already had thought of that but it was going to be a little costly for me.
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

#12 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

I have complete the first set of experiments, a full 12 hours of recordings with no identifiable EVP's or any other unidentifiable sounds. The test container "Ruby" worked well as did the recordings onto the notebook.

Onto experiment #2 which is identical to experiment #1 except it will be at a different non-haunted location.
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

#13 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

Want to share the audio? Get a 2nd ear on it?
My Signature

#14 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

Cool!

Posted Image
My Signature
- siguie -

#15 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

Sorry, I had an issue with the Hard Disks in my PC going bye bye, so the data has been lost along with a few other things like videos,photos etc.
I do daily incremental along with weekly full backups but from my system disk to my backup disk but both disks failed at the same time along with my power supply. It was a spike in the mains as the house lights also dipped.
So I have had to buy 2 new disks and power supply which will arrive this week, so at the moment using my old laptop
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

#16 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

I have done another test session this morning, again in my garage which is a non-haunted location. This time I have picked up something, well 3 things on one of the recordings.

This was a session without any form of noise (ie pink,brown,white,phonetics etc) and it was just me doing a vocal interaction (ie asking questions). I was in my garage/hobby workshop with the doors closed and no other people around.

I am surprised I picked up something and would appreciate others in listening and hearing what you all think. There are 3 files in the zip and are raw unmodified snippets saved in wav 16bit.
If anybody would like the entire uncompressed raw file can let me know as it's in 32bit Wav @ 195Mb
Here are the snippet files in a zip

I have played a little with the sounds in Audacity but need more time and learning to bring the sounds out a lot more.
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

#17 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:36 AM

Capt. if you want a chrome noise disk let me know. Playing prior to your recording sessions would be the preferable, but, this is an aggressive disk and will stir things up.You won't find these noise patterns avalable in Audition.
My Signature
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#18 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Well I didn't notice anything in A or B but there is a low rumbly "something" in C around the 6 second mark punctuated by a higher pitched something at 8 seconds :yes: also that higher pitched sound occurs in A at around the 30 second mark.

No idea what is being said if anything though :no:

So you appear to be using a stereo recorder and there "might" be a very slightly greater amplitude in the first track that "could" indicate some directionality BUT it's really really close. Do you have any idea of the orientation of the mic in your system? It's possible that something was picked up from a support structure and vibration or sound coming through OR you know maybe something was hanging off slightly to the side when it said whatever it said :yes:

Oh and good job! :yes:

Edited by siguie, 13 April 2016 - 06:25 PM.

My Signature
- siguie -

#19 Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

Yes siguie,
On a I hear something at the 30sec mark which sounds like a single syllable
On b I hear a twang then followed by something at the 5.5sec mark which sounds like a single syllable
On c I hear something at the 8sec mark which sounds like a single syllable

The mic I was using is a simple headset microphone. This was me just recording my "interaction" segment master so I can use it in my testing. I have generated a few noise files eg brown,pink,white,phonetics (SpeakerJetAllPhones) and now my interations, then I combine all these sounds sequential into one large Audio file that is played next to my test recorder inside my testing jar.
I have a better description at my site

View PostEVP, on 13 April 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

Capt. if you want a chrome noise disk let me know. Playing prior to your recording sessions would be the preferable, but, this is an aggressive disk and will stir things up.You won't find these noise patterns avalable in Audition.
Hi EVP, what is a "chrome noise disk"?
My Signature
--
Sean aka Capt Zeanie

Posted Image

#20 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:23 AM

It has similar properties to that of white noise that holds a wide range of frequencies generating a static hiss. Chrome noise as mentioned is more aggresive that white, brown or pink and I've had varying success with it. Some researchers run it during an audio session but I chose a little different method by running it prior to a session for approximately 5-10 minutes. Some believe that it energizes and helps providing a conduit to the other side.

Many of the experiments I have tried are successful for a couple of times but then go flat. I've run the chrome disk before and felt the air become very heavy and in 2 cases I was forced to turn it off.

I'm not a taunter and I always offer respect but I will sometimes experiment.

This is purely theory and more for testing purpose. There is never any guaranteed results and everyone's mileage will vary.

If you'd like a disk, I could compress the ISO and upload it to a free file host and you could burn it directly to CD. PM me if interested sir.

PS- I'm sorry I didn't answer this question before. As far as audio programs to use, I highly recommend Audition. I'm still using v 3.01 that I beta-tested. The newer versions are more inclined towards audio engineers. Several features are offered in Audition that aren't available in any other software applications. Personally I believe the spectral display is worth it's weight in gold as it allows a user to identify characteristics of anomalous snippets and observe frequency patterns found within EVP & AVP. Hope this helps.

Edited by EVP, 14 April 2016 - 12:41 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com