• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:13 AM

So, I have a Tascam dr-40 with a microphone plugged into the left channel, set it to record 4 channels so I could record the internal mics as well. When I open the file in either audition or audacity, it only picks up the left external mic. Could someone help me out here?

Edited by Mikaru, 24 August 2017 - 02:13 AM.

My Signature

#2 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:09 AM

Hope someone will be along soon :)
My Signature
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:43 AM

What is the extention of the file? Multi-channel .wav, mp3 or other?? i do know sound forge will open a variety of multi channel sound files extentions.
My Signature

#4 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

View PostCDS, on 24 August 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

What is the extention of the file? Multi-channel .wav, mp3 or other?? i do know sound forge will open a variety of multi channel sound files extentions.
Wav file. I'll check out sound forge
My Signature

#5 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

Is that 4-channels one file? 'cuz the thing is a stereo recorder it should be 2 channels per file and up to 4 channels  in two files.

Of course I don' have one I'm just saying it seems more logical to put the two built in stereo mics into one file then have whatever external mics record into different files/channels since they would likely have different properties.

Also you might want to just create a "4-channel" 2 second test file and let people look at it.
My Signature
- siguie -

#6 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

I'll create a file when I'm not having a panic attack. Thanks for the input.
My Signature

#7 Mikaru

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:24 AM

View Postsiguie, on 24 August 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

Is that 4-channels one file? 'cuz the thing is a stereo recorder it should be 2 channels per file and up to 4 channels  in two files.

Of course I don' have one I'm just saying it seems more logical to put the two built in stereo mics into one file then have whatever external mics record into different files/channels since they would likely have different properties.

Also you might want to just create a "4-channel" 2 second test file and let people look at it.
You were correct. It's in two files. Thank you for your help
My Signature

#8 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

Cool! yeah these things get confusing but "stereo" generally means old school standard two channel audio and 4-channel systems will either give you an option for 4-channel recording or "Dual" recordings BUT when you have two built in microphones they almost always get their own file because the code for the hardware standard is well established. When you don't have built in mics things get tricky, especially when these things are sold for DSLR video BUT they are generally referred to as Multi Track or Multi Channel.

Anywho, you should consider posting a technical "learning" writeup :yes: The dr-40 is a higher end device for ghost hunters and will have many possible tweaks/options/choices/ like what happens if you get an EVP on one channel of a stereo recorder? Does it always happen on the same channel? Can you turn off the low cut filter? Should you turn off the low cut filter? and on and on.

So yes, consider posting your technical eXperience along with any EVPs :yes:
My Signature
- siguie -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com