• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 soraya

soraya

Orb

• GS Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

There is so much that you can do( even with some problems)Swimming. yoga, pilates..it goes on.It will help all the way around.Make you feel better and help with your mind set.Just find what you can do,what you enjoy and set a plan and stick to it...Plus if you mess up eating, it is not so bad.I love to eat,I was a chef before I had kids.I am not backing down on good food( I am making it healthy and all, but still..ribs and stuff like that have to be around!)Plus after a while,after you work out you are not that hungrey.( well.if you work out to hard..you just get sick to your tummy)Well,I could loose about 10 pounds or so, but I like to eat and enjoy fine wine and that does not help. I am training for a half Iron man right now..I should get my weight in control. I will never be 110 pound person.But I am fit and happy.And I enjoy working out( well, when it is over! )The more we move the better we are! Diets are so...depressing.As GhostlyGrace said, smaller portions of the the things she loves.That works too.That is what I pretty much do.Well, you can tell I need to talk to grown ups!( been by myself and kids all day!)
The wrongest thing one can do is shut one self off to new things-Susannah York

#22 Dami

Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

I have a problem many of us have.  I start my day by waking my son up, and getting him dressed. Then, he plays all by himself while I get dressed and put on my makeup.  By 8:30 I'm driving him to the sitters.  I go on to work and see my first client by 9:00.  I see my last client at about 7:00.  I get to pick up my son, grab some dinner with him, and by 9:00 he's in bed. After he goes to sleep I get to do about 1-2 more hours of paperwork.

So, basically I work about 10-12 hours a day.  I see my son 2 hours a day.  Even my sitter gets to spend more time with my son than I DO.  By the time I get home with him and make him dinner, its already dark...and he's three....so its not like its really feasible to "Just do some exercise with him."

I suppose I could just do my paperwork during those two hours, and just put him to sleep afterwards....leaving me some time before bed to exercise. But, I'd much rather spend those precious two freaking hours with him.

The thing is, yeah, I COULD make time in my schedule to run, jog, walk, swim, cycle, or whatever. But I just can't fathom further dividing the ridiculously small amount of time with my son I have left.  I CAN however, eat right during the day, and at least make an effort.  So I don't really see that as a cop out.

No offense meant to you, Soraya.  I know this is pretty blunt, and I certainly do not mean it to come out brash or offensive.  I just know this is my life, and it is nothing out of the ordinary.  I noticed you said you'd spent all day with the kids....and so I'm on the opposite of that spectrum.  I spend all day without my kid...and I'm just not willing to lose any more time. Many many people have the same dilemma.....and sometimes all we really have is the option of just eating healthier.

Edited by Dami, 12 June 2008 - 07:51 PM.

Everyone Needs a Family Sanitorium...

"The wages of coming through life unscathed....is going through life untouched." --  me.

#23 soraya

soraya

Orb

• GS Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(Dami @ Jun 12 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a problem many of us have.  I start my day by waking my son up, and getting him dressed. Then, he plays all by himself while I get dressed and put on my makeup.  By 8:30 I'm driving him to the sitters.  I go on to work and see my first client by 9:00.  I see my last client at about 7:00.  I get to pick up my son, grab some dinner with him, and by 9:00 he's in bed. After he goes to sleep I get to do about 1-2 more hours of paperwork.

So, basically I work about 10-12 hours a day.  I see my son 2 hours a day.  Even my sitter gets to spend more time with my son than I DO.  By the time I get home with him and make him dinner, its already dark...and he's three....so its not like its really feasible to "Just do some exercise with him."

I suppose I could just do my paperwork during those two hours, and just put him to sleep afterwards....leaving me some time before bed to exercise. But, I'd much rather spend those precious two freaking hours with him.

The thing is, yeah, I COULD make time in my schedule to run, jog, walk, swim, cycle, or whatever. But I just can't fathom further dividing the ridiculously small amount of time with my son I have left.  I CAN however, eat right during the day, and at least make an effort.  So I don't really see that as a cop out.

No offense meant to you, Soraya.  I know this is pretty blunt, and I certainly do not mean it to come out brash or offensive.  I just know this is my life, and it is nothing out of the ordinary.  I noticed you said you'd spent all day with the kids....and so I'm on the opposite of that spectrum.  I spend all day without my kid...and I'm just not willing to lose any more time. Many many people have the same dilemma.....and sometimes all we really have is the option of just eating healthier.

My, my...so sorry if I said something to upset you!I do not spend all day with the kids..They just drive me crazy in the time that they do.They fight..dont you know.I have a short window to do what I do and I do it.I work at the kids school and do traffic at the kids school.So , I have to be there a lot...I have my kids Bicycle and I run behind them with my dog.We go on hikes etc.When we have time.You dont have to jog, cycle or whatever..do what works for you.I just feel that it helps your mind set and other things if you do.But the COULD thing will work if you apply.A happy mom is a happy child.Well. I keep telling my kids that!:)

#24 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:30 PM

The one that really helped me is the Eat Clean Diet. It's not a diet but a lifestyle change. You'll notice results right away and there are tons of ideas in her books.

I started reading Oxygen magazine when I started going to the gym on a regular basis, so that is how I found out about her.

http://eatcleandiet.com/Default.aspx

#25 citrinecastle

citrinecastle

Priestess of Poo

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Interests:Stalking GS moderators, discussing horrific bowel movements and all that is stinky, cat speaking, eating bubble wrap

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE(Dami @ Jun 12 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally understand that. Read my reply to next post before I go any further...

QUOTE(soraya @ Jun 12 2008, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My, my...so sorry if I said something to upset you!I do not spend all day with the kids..They just drive me crazy in the time that they do.They fight..dont you know.I have a short window to do what I do and I do it.I work at the kids school and do traffic at the kids school.So , I have to be there a lot...I have my kids Bicycle and I run behind them with my dog.We go on hikes etc.When we have time.You dont have to jog, cycle or whatever..do what works for you.I just feel that it helps your mind set and other things if you do.But the COULD thing will work if you apply.A happy mom is a happy child.Well. I keep telling my kids that!:)

And here we have the all day kid care.

Me? I HAVE 8 hours a day...or did rather, until the kids got out of school...to do whatever I want. Clean. Exercise. Etc.

But I don't. I do nothing. I can use the excuse my back hurts (it did) or 'it's that time of the month', or it's too hot, or.....anything. Thing is, I WANT to, I'm just a procrastinator. And maybe after many hours of SAYING I'm going to do something, I decide, gee, I don't want to. Not exactly healthy, but my own decision to be a lazy slob. I used to be a very busy person so I had to squeeze the exercise regime I had set for myself in. Been in both boats and nowadays I can do whatever I want, and you know what? I really don't care all that much.

Just saying gals, been in both situations and I'm nowadays (bah...try a few years)able to do as I wish whenever I wish and decided, hey, who do I have to impress? Why do I HAVE to exercise and do this or that when clearly, I won't be killed for deciding NOT to do it? I'd rather spend my 'free' time reading or gardening with the kids or goofing off with them instead of worrying overly about how much I weigh or how I look in a swimsuit (I figure even the most gorgeous woman has self issues with how she looks....so what is the POINT?????) Now, if it's a matter of a medical health issue, YES I will make amends, but all this 'oh it's summer or I'm going somewhere and want to lose weight and blah blah blah'  LADIES! PLEASE! Accept yourselves for who you are, stop the obsessive worrying and just be yourself! You see MEN going through this self criticism every summer? No. A man or anyone worth your time is going to look at your self esteem as a person and not your dress size!

Just saying....sure, we might want to lose a few pounds or tone up or what have you, but are we really doing it for OURSELVES or for other people and what they might think of us?

So stop the bickering over who has the time to exercise and who doesn't, and stop the diet issue of 'it's easier to diet than to exercise because I have health issues'. I have health issues too. Whoopdie doo. I have loads of them. Exercise or don't. Diets are bad, but wise food choices are good. Don't see why all of us girls have to have a go at each other. And don't see why it's so overly important for us to go through this 'oh my god it's summer must lose weight' frenzy every year. It's ridiculous. So cyber hug each other and go eat some friggin ice cream and have some bon bons and consider your housecleaning/running kids around your exercise. Your normal stress levels are burning off loads of calories anyway. And when you stand in front of your mirror lamenting your hips and belly, go look up artworks of Venus/Aphrodite and LOVE your hips and belly....because THAT is what a woman is SUPPOSED to look like.

Posted Image

http://www.myspace.com/citrinecastle

Ask Me About My Bowel Movements, I Dare You

No...Let's NOT Talk About My Bowel Movements You Rascally Evil Mod, You

#26 badbeerfairy

badbeerfairy

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:37 AM

I did low carbs for ages and did really well on it at the time but the thing that I missed the most was pizza, and I mean reallllly missed it!

So....  Butterfly a boneless chicken breast, throw it in a non stick pan with no oil, quickly cook both sides until almost cooked through and then use it as your pizza base.  Add tomato puree (don't use pasta/pizza sauce that is crammed with olive oil or you may as well just have a pizza!) and healthy pizza toppings, mushrooms, onions, garlic, peppers, chillis, tuna, tomatos etc and top with low fat hard cheese/Low fat mozerella then bung it under the grill for a few mins until bubbly.

Another good one is diced up lean white meat, cherry toms, mushrooms, onions and garlic in a frying pan. You won't need oil.  Cook until meat cooked through and tomatos have popped to make a sauce, add soy sauce and a little vinegar, balsamic if you have it.  You won't need anything with it as it is so rich.  Have the heart burn tabs on hand for after though.

I'm not mentioning working out cos yonder poster didn't ask about working out  th_sarcastic_blum.gif

Oh and quick edit to add I love what Cit said about loving your belly, hips etc!  Women were made to wobble!!!!  I'm not saying you should look like a jelly mind.  I'll shut up now smile.gif

x x x

x x x

Edited by badbeerfairy, 13 June 2008 - 02:40 AM.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak ye little, listen much.....

#27 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,052 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:40 AM

Every summer I work hard on my beer belly. By drinking lots of beer
Posted Image

#28 citrinecastle

citrinecastle

Priestess of Poo

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Interests:Stalking GS moderators, discussing horrific bowel movements and all that is stinky, cat speaking, eating bubble wrap

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Jun 13 2008, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every summer I work hard on my beer belly. By drinking lots of beer

Me too. Lots and lots of beer.

I wasn't aware that us ladies could get beer guts but apparantly we can.

Thank god for loose tank tops.

Posted Image

http://www.myspace.com/citrinecastle

Ask Me About My Bowel Movements, I Dare You

No...Let's NOT Talk About My Bowel Movements You Rascally Evil Mod, You

#29 Cambion

Cambion

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

I lost 70 pounds by fasting on and off over a period of two years, cutting out soda pop and fast food in the process. I let myself go once I got to college and have gained it all back, but here's a secret...if you go without food for 12-14 hours, the hunger will eventually disapear and you will not want to eat. I actually almost forgot how to eat when I was dieting because of it, but I still saw some noticecable success. So, it was worth it in the end.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors. Losing weight is never an easy thing to do. Sometimes you can do everything right and lose no weight...or worse - you might gain weight.

#30 soraya

soraya

Orb

• GS Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Cambion @ Jun 13 2008, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I lost 70 pounds by fasting on and off over a period of two years, cutting out soda pop and fast food in the process. I let myself go once I got to college and have gained it all back, but here's a secret...if you go without food for 12-14 hours, the hunger will eventually disapear and you will not want to eat. I actually almost forgot how to eat when I was dieting because of it, but I still saw some noticecable success. So, it was worth it in the end.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors. Losing weight is never an easy thing to do. Sometimes you can do everything right and lose no weight...or worse - you might gain weight.

And this way you can gain weight. Your body is going to go in panic mode cause you are not giving it fuel and it is going to hold on to whatever it gets.It is not a could idea in the long run!

#31 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:42 AM

With all the changes in dietary theories, I can remember watching this program

Here is the book that you can read online
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#32 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:36 AM

I was 220 at my heaviest.  I am 5'11".  I used to be an emergency responder at work and had a physical with our on staff physician.  My cholesterol was in the higher range of normal.  The dr told me to cut out friend foods.  I cut way back on french fries and such.   This small change dropped me from 220 to 200.  Then, I started playing that pokemon game with my daughter and we would go walk the park for a couple of hours on Sunday.  I would walk for 30 min 2-3 days a week during lunch.  I am now at 193 and working on 190.   I am 50 years old and I would have been in my middle 30's the last time I was at 190.
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#33 crystal

crystal

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, supernatural, reading, music, writing, drawing =)

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

I was so confused for a minute, from all the familiar people posting on here... lol, then I realized it was from 2008.  That's an interesting video.  But 3 minutes of exercise a week?  lol, that.... that would be nice.  Fasting has always been interesting to me... I've read where it's absolutely horrible for you, and I've read that it's also very good for you.  Confusing.
That's awesome, Louczar!
To die will be an awfully big adventure.
J.M. BARRIE, Peter Pan

#34 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:44 AM

View Postcrystal, on 20 August 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

I was so confused for a minute, from all the familiar people posting on here... lol, then I realized it was from 2008.  That's an interesting video.  But 3 minutes of exercise a week?  lol, that.... that would be nice.  Fasting has always been interesting to me... I've read where it's absolutely horrible for you, and I've read that it's also very good for you.  Confusing.
That's awesome, Louczar!

LOL, I should be put an oldy but a goody warning :D

It is interesting, things have changed a lot over the decades with what is considered good eating habits. I remember a doco I saw they have long-term studies on fasting they looked at the health of people during the great depression thinking they would find the population's health deteriorated but they found the opposite. They also studied a couple over a few decades and found their health better than a couple if their age.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#35 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

View Postcrystal, on 20 August 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

That's awesome, Louczar!

Fasting all depends on how your body works. Like all things, you can try it, and if you don't feel that it's for you, then you can stop and go back to what makes you feel better. That is why there are so many diets and stuff, not one diet works for everyone. Like I am on a low carb diet for my diabetes, and I am losing weight and feeling better, my mom eats the same things as me, and she gains weight, and feels bloated all the time.
Posted Image