23 replies to this topic

#21 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:31 AM

I got my information from the Crime Library,  as well as from the newspapers when it happened.  I'm the same age as Jenny.

I don't doubt that Gertrude was a poor excuse for a human being,  and I don't disagree that she was a waiste of the planets oxygen,  but one of my pet peeves is everyone calling her a "foster mother" when she was nothing of the sort.  She agreed to board the girls,  not "foster" them or raise them.  Gives real foster parents a bad name.

#22 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(Judecat @ Jun 3 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got my information from the Crime Library, as well as from the newspapers when it happened. I'm the same age as Jenny.

I don't doubt that Gertrude was a poor excuse for a human being, and I don't disagree that she was a waiste of the planets oxygen, but one of my pet peeves is everyone calling her a "foster mother" when she was nothing of the sort. She agreed to board the girls, not "foster" them or raise them. Gives real foster parents a bad name.

I understand because in these days, in order to be called a Foster Parent the "parents" are selected thru either CPS or the Courts. She was their caretaker, babysitter plus a murderer. Sad story.
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#23 Judecat

Judecat

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:01 AM

Actually Blue Angel,  it's not just "these days" that you have to go through CPS,  or Catholic Charities,  or the courts.  This was true at least as far back as the 1950's.
Unless the parents either legally give up their parental rights,  or have them taken from them by the courts,  then the parents alone are responsible for the child,  and paying someone to babysit them in their home does not remove the responsibility to actually parent your own child.
Foster parents are people who temporarily and under the supervision of the proper authorities agree to take on parental rights and responsibilities of children who are no longer under the legal care of their parents.

My brothers and I were sent by my grandmother to live with a Mrs. V after my father left,  and my mother couldn't take care of us.   My grandmother didn't have room in her house for 4 children under the age of 5,  one of them an infant,  so she asked Mrs V to take care of us for a while,  in Mrs V.s house,  for a fee.
After my mother was arrested for prostitution,  I, and I alone,  was legally taken from mother's care and custody (on the theory that prostitutes shouldn't raise girl children).  After the courts and Catholic Charities came in and checked everything out Mrs V became my foster mother,  until it was arranged for me to be permanently adopted by another couple.   So while the entire family lived with Mrs V,  I was her only legal foster child.  And this was in 1953,  well before Sylvia met Gertrude.

#24 Rattlehead86

Rattlehead86

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

This is such a sad thing. I hate that anyone ever had to go through something like this.  I don't think I could bare to watch the movies.   sick.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users