• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 karmyn31

karmyn31

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:32 PM

Does anybody know of any sightings at the Vicksburg, Mississippi battlefield park? I'm sure there's something there as there is with most battlefields, but I can't think of any specific stories. Gettysburg is the best known.
My uncle recently returned from a trip to Mississippi and told me that he thought maybe he saw something at the park. He didn't go into details other than he thought he saw a soldier. This doesn't surprise me as he has seen and experienced ghosts before. I know he has lived in two actively haunted houses in his life. One was the house where he grew up, which I have posted about before. Another was a house he lived in for several months. It was an old house which had been converted into apartments. He frequently saw the ghost of the former owner. People that visited him also saw her on occassion. So he's had several ghostly encounters.
If I find out more about this, I'll post it.

#2 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:15 PM

I haven't heard of any personally, but you could try Googling "Vicksburg battlefield ghosts" and see what if anything comes up.  I'm sure there have to be at least a few odd experiences reported there!

#3 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:21 AM

I visited Vicksburg Battlefield a few years ago and don't remember hearing any stories, but then again, we didn't take a proper tour. We just kinda drove through without getting their audio tour.

I do have to say, though, that Vicksburg is an amazing battlefield. Sooooo hilly it's very evident how it was held for so long. I mean you look down onto the Mississippi River.

Sounds to me like a nice weekend trip. *wanders off thinking*

Okay I went off and did a little research and found they have a Ghost Tour for $10. Not bad!

Edited by Lady Sorbus, 16 March 2008 - 07:26 AM.

#4 karmyn31

karmyn31

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

Vicksburg is lovely. I'd love to go back again. I went when I was 11. We only went through about five miles of the park. One of these days I'd love to go to Gettysburg and Virginia to visit battlefields there.
Plenty of ghosts and history here in Texas, but very little Civil War stuff.

#5 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

Now I am planning a trip to Vicksburg. LOL You got me wanting to see it again. Am going to try for June.

Cool site with story: Haunted Mississippi - Vicksburg Battlefield

Edited by Lady Sorbus, 16 March 2008 - 12:45 PM.

#6 SheaMarshall

SheaMarshall

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

If it's like the Chickamauga Battlefield in Fort Oglethrope, just south of Chattanooga, then it is probably full of stories. Chickamauga is an absolutely beautiful battlefield, too (that sounds like an oxymoron!). You should come through visit. We've got the flat land, the woods, the tower, and we have ghost stories like the legend of Old Green Eyes, the bride, and the creek that turns red from the blood that was spilled there. Great scenery and creepy stories, what more could you want?!
Yours,

Matthew Shea Marshall

#7 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

I  heart.gif Chattanooga. Visited in 2003. Went up the mountain on the Incline RR. Way cool. Visited the battlefield up there. Didn't know of this other you mention. sad.gif

#8 SheaMarshall

SheaMarshall

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:46 AM

Oh the entire city is essentially one big Civil War battlefield. But there were the big three battles that took place. One was the Battle Above the Clouds that took place on Lookout Mountain. Point Park, which is where I'm assuming you visited, is dedicated to it. The second one was the Battle for Missionary Ridge which took place on the east side of town. If you are ever on I-24, there is a massive curve right as you enter into Chattanooga proper. At that point, you are on a section of the interstate known as the Ridge Cut and it is just that, cutting through the battlefield. There's a small memorial park just above the interstate where the battle site is marked. The biggest of the big three was the Battle of Chickamauga. It was just south of the city, in GA actually, but it established Union control of Chattanooga. If you get on US-27 south, right after you get off I-24, you go about 15 or 20 minutes south, cross into GA, and run headlong into the battlefield. You can do some research on it by looking up the Rock of Chickamauga, the battlefield itself, the legend of Old Green Eyes, and a variety of other legends associated with the field.
Green Eyes is a big mystery down here because, depending on who you ask or believe, Green Eyes is either a bride looking for her husband who was killed in the battle, a random ghost, a demon, a Native American (Cherokee or Creek) spirit that inhabited the area long before the war, an ancient ghost that predates even the Creek occupation of the area, and a couple of others with which I'm not very familiar.
If you get the chance, go to the battlefield itself. If you're a major history buff like I am, there is a place on Lookout Mountain, right across from Point Park, called the Battles For Chattanooga, that illustrates the entire history of armed Civil War combat in the area; excellent reference place for any history study on Chattanooga.
Yours,

Matthew Shea Marshall

#9 Richard

Richard

Apport

• GS Member
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Reading, Xbox 360 Video Gaming, Paranormal Research, Member AGS, Comic Book Collecting

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:50 AM

The book "Haunted Vicksburg" by Alan Brown copyright 2010 has a section in it about

the Vicksburg National Military Park (14 pages).  Hope this helps!

Edited by Richard, 21 October 2011 - 04:51 AM.

~ Investigating the Unknown ~

#10 KolIkA

KolIkA

EVP

• GS Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

I haven't had any experience either but I know of a member here. You know him as Captain Kundalini. He decided to drive to Vicksburg, Mississippi for a weekend with friends. They didn't know what to expect.

He said it was a hot, clear Summer day. As they slowly drove through the park, In one area it said they were in a place commanded by troops from Illinois. They decided to get out of the car and get some photos of Civil War cannon. The cannon was near some trees and brushes aiming towards enemy lines. Turning on his camera, he said he looked up at the thicket of trees... And froze! There, just to his right was a Union Soldier. He was wearing blue and carried a rifle... And he said he could see right through him! The soldier took a step and then vanished! He said his friends never saw anything on their tour around the place and the tour seemed to drag on. However, on their way back to the hotel he being the driver felt lost and had trouble finding his way out of the place. He added he had trouble getting online that night so he dictated what he saw into his phone.