#21 LuvMyWeinerDog

LuvMyWeinerDog

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE(Amethyst @ Dec 11 2007, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then Lorraine shows up AND a priest comes in...and she says you are lucky to have the Catholic church back you?   I was sitting there thinking....WTH????

Ah!  That's another thing that I was thinking...Why would the Catholic Church supposedly contact this kid to deal with a demon, when they have their own specially trained demonologists and exorcists???  

In Loving Memory of My Brother Peter
August 29, 1967 - August 6, 2006

#22 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,027 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:11 AM

If you believe Lorraine Warren, every paranormal event involves demons.

I suspect their religious views color their perspective. Give me a scientific, fact based approach, not personal biases to fit your belief system.

I DVRed the show so I havent seen it yet.....sounds like it may be one not worth watching, we;ll see. If it is like you guys say, it just screws up the general public's perception of the paranormal

Edited by Vlawde, 11 December 2007 - 06:13 AM.

Posted Image

#23 shonalynn

shonalynn

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Interests:Nachos, beer, football.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:53 AM

I wasn't too excited about this show from the get go. The commericals just didn't grab my attention. After hearing that they dragged in Lorraine and a priest..well that pretty much sums it up for me that I will not try to hard to catch the show
I'm on Facebook!

#24 sicboy13

sicboy13

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Vampires, Drums, Music, My wife, Ghosts, UFO's, Conspiracies, any unexplainable

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:59 AM

I tivo'd the shows and have yet to watch them -  this series looks geared to be hype, not a debunking show.   am i right?

"WARNING: Persons denying the existence of Robots may be Robots themselves."  
Old Glory Insurance. For when the metal ones decide to come for you - and they will.

#25 Lawgiver

Lawgiver

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE(shonalynn @ Dec 11 2007, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't too excited about this show from the get go. The commericals just didn't grab my attention. After hearing that they dragged in Lorraine and a priest..well that pretty much sums it up for me that I will not try to hard to catch the show

I agree with that. I had seen a few commercials but didn't get a chance to watch it. With Lorraine Warren, it just loses all credibility for me and becomes a joke.

#26 champell

champell

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Children<br />Animals<br />Nature<br />Ghosts<br />History

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:35 AM

I watch TAPS but I have tons of problems with that show... but Paranormal State was annoying as heck!  The main guy was way too dramatic... and I hated the "director's notes" or whatever it was that he called it... THE SHOW IS OVER PRODUCED!!!

Champell

Edited by champell, 11 December 2007 - 07:43 AM.

#27 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE(Lawgiver @ Dec 11 2007, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with that. I had seen a few commercials but didn't get a chance to watch it. With Lorraine Warren, it just loses all credibility for me and becomes a joke.

Now that the paranormal is being researched more and people have educated themselves about ghosts and hauntings I think they know better than to think everything is demonic in nature.

Ed and Lorraine had they 15 minutes, now it is time to say RIP, Ed, and for Lorraine to retire or host a late night horror movie show.  She is yesterday's news now.

I think with the whole Amityville Horror thing being a hoax, I do not hold them in very high esteem.

I would give the devil his dues (pun intended)

Ame
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#28 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

I was really disappointed, the first episode was really kind of interesting.

I think they should have presented the photo saying " Is Timmy in this picture?" rather than "Timmy is in this photo can you point to him..." The kid is not quite 8 years old, and questioners should be very careful not to lead him, also when presenting the photo, there should NOT be a person who knows which is Timmy present... that way we could rule out that the kid is reading the questioner or the audience. Some kids are really good at feeling out the right answer by looking at or reading the person asking the question.

Episode 2 set my "Bull carp" meter up to 12... kid's not even 25 yet and the "diocese came to him"?! Oh sure... the church hunts up psychics out of the blue to help-them-out.... Lorraine Warren, and the tendency to tag everything and it's cousin "demonic" and I think I may just not bother to watch much more, if any of the show. (Is this kid setting himself up to be the next Ed Warren? I was also uncomfortable with the way the one guy is "leader kid" and all the others seem to go along with him. Only peripherally does any of the team seem to be an expert on anything by their own right. ) If people run into "demonic" hauntings AT ALL, it should be the one out of ten thousand cases, not most of them.

I wonder at the chances of a ghost or spirit upping the ante, thinking "So I'm a Demon eh? I SHOW you Demon!"  I kind of suspect that with growing frustration at trying to communicate, and then being diagnosed as demonic, that's how I'd respond.

Amethyst, I think the kid's strange mannerisms/speech patterns in his first interview reminded me of someone with Aspergers or mild ("high functioning") autism...  later, as he's more used to the interviewers and camera crew his behavior becomes more natural (Aspergers person without the "new person" stress.)  

I also wonder, even though the adults in the community haven't discussed Timmy with the boy, maybe he's overheard people talking to his parents, or has heard things through the neighborhood "children's lore".  ("OMG! you moved into the house where Timmy lived, he killed himself back in that field when it was still woods...."  and some of those kids may have known, or remembered Timmy or have older siblings who knew him better... ) The team didn't do anything to rule that out.

The child himself, might not even be aware of having overheard stuff. (And grown ups talk about all kinds of things when they think little ears are out of range... )  He might also have been told things by OTHER KIDS from the neighborhood at the time the body was found and simply doesn't remember the kids talking about these things.  The other kids might even have put the idea "your house is haunted by Tim" in his head, and again, being almost 8, to him it's very real.

So Amethyst: When the boy was in the basement with the interviewer/therapist and said "oh he's there NOW" what did you pick up?
(I'd take Ame's opinion over "some guy on the TV" any day!)

Edited by trin, 11 December 2007 - 12:49 PM.

#29 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

Well okay it sounds like a good thing I wasn't able to watch it last night.

I'm surprised that so many people dislike the Warrens, though.

#30 Claire

Claire

Living Dead

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • Interests:Photography, painting and ghosthunting!

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(champell @ Dec 11 2007, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I watch TAPS but I have tons of problems with that show... but Paranormal State was annoying as heck!  The main guy was way too dramatic... and I hated the "director's notes" or whatever it was that he called it... THE SHOW IS OVER PRODUCED!!!
Champell

I was looking forward to seeing what everyone else thought of the show.  I couldn't QUITE put my finger on what bothered me about it but Champell hit it on the head "OVER PRODUCED" for sure!  Melodramatic.  The answers came a little TOO easy.  And, yes, this young kid and his team of young girls.  Did any one else find that funny?  Looks like their focus (like everyone is saying) is going to be demon-hunting?  Looks like they had an exorcism in the previews for an upcoming episode.  

I worry about people like this going in to homes where there really IS a problem and just making the problem worse.

I don't know....somehow the show made me uncomfortable.  I, too, was really disappointed.  The advances TAPS may be making in the field as far as general public perception could be undone by shows like this.  Maybe it will get better.  We'll see....  

"We all go a little mad sometimes."  Norman Bates

#31 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,027 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

I just watched it...and pretty much agree with everyone. Directors notes is lame, and virtually everything sounds scripted. Even worse, there was no evidence! So there was a demon simply because the guy had a "feeling"?  Load of crud IMO
Posted Image

#32 jebedunk

jebedunk

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(ClaireGStudy @ Dec 11 2007, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The advances TAPS may be making in the field as far as general public perception could be undone by shows like this.  Maybe it will get better.  We'll see....

That's what I think about too. I mean I know some people don't like TAPS and claim their show is edited for ratings and all. I don't completely agree, although I do have an idea of  what it takes to make a successful TV show.  But this show is just.. a whole different ballpark and I hope people don't compare the two.  It's kind of embarrassing really.  Like I said before though, TAPS has certainly improved over the years, cutting down on cheesy sound effects and skull faces flashing randomly and all that. But this show doesn't even seem to be on a good path from the start.  Kind of sad.  For all of us anyway, who got excited for a new show that might help the community.  I was kind of worried when I heard the show was being done by the same people who brought us Laguna Beach, ha.  But I don't know, I guess I will continue to watch, especially since Ghost Hunters is in between seasons for now.  I didn't really pay attention to the second episode, so I didn't notice all the demon talk.  I also didn't see that next week's episode is going to be about demons also, bleh.  You can usually tell a lot about a series by their first episode, so I don't know how much better it's going to get.. a shame.

#33 dolceamara

dolceamara

Orb

• GS Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

haha I'm glad I'm not the only one with these opinions!

I have a feeling that next week's episode is going to be comical. But yes, I have to agree that this show was simply created to capitalize on the paranormal boom and not for any really progress in the scientific field.

I'll be in Japan for three weeks starting next Monday; I'm glad that this didn't end up as another show I'm going to be sad about missing!

:P

*edit* Ooo I'm an orb! *floats around*

Edited by dolceamara, 11 December 2007 - 04:26 PM.

#34 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(trin @ Dec 11 2007, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Amethyst: When the boy was in the basement with the interviewer/therapist and said "oh he's there NOW" what did you pick up?
(I'd take Ame's opinion over "some guy on the TV" any day!)

Well, I just kinda sat there a moment and then said outloud to the TV...you gotta be kidding.  There's nobody there.  That was entirely staged.  I mean, I have been doing this long enough that I can tell if there's a spirit there, and I felt nothing at all.  So IMHO they told the kid to say that.

Ame
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#35 jebedunk

jebedunk

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(Amethyst @ Dec 11 2007, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I just kinda sat there a moment and then said outloud to the TV...you gotta be kidding.  There's nobody there.  That was entirely staged.  I mean, I have been doing this long enough that I can tell if there's a spirit there, and I felt nothing at all.  So IMHO they told the kid to say that.

Ame

Interesting.. My mom was watching with me and also said they were acting. Which wouldn't surprise me much.  The people making the show are used to working with teenagers on MTV.  I was busy online for most of it, so I wasn't paying full attention, but I knew pretty quickly I wouldn't regret only half-watching it.

#36 BrxGhostWriter

BrxGhostWriter

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

I was looking forward to this, but I was disappointed, too. His director's notes reminded me of the voice overs in computer games--as others have said, very over-produced.

Clearly, they are nothing like TAPS, and seem closer to the Most Haunted end of the scale. I think demons may exist, but I have a hard time believing that these people are running into so many of them--an exorcism next week?! Please. And the Catholic diocese contacted that *kid* to help them with an exorcism? I don't know what to think about that.

The show did make me uncomfortable, too. There are no good, solid investigation techniques here. But, for me, it was Lorraine Warren's appearance that really tipped the scales; I don't find her work to be credible at all, for the reasons others have stated. I don't think this show is going to do many positive things for the field of paranormal investigation or research--it's just too far out there with all these demons, and it does seem largely scripted.

But, I do enjoy paranormal shows, and GH is between seasons, I will probably watch it, but it will be for pure entertainment purposes.

Nicole

#37 champell

champell

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Children<br />Animals<br />Nature<br />Ghosts<br />History

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

What about the door opening by itself?  Did anyone buy that???

Champell

#38 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(champell @ Dec 11 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about the door opening by itself?  Did anyone buy that???

Champell

Even if there wasn't someone messing with the door, there can be  a lot of reasons a door might swing open like that.
Ordinary reasons, and those didn't seem to be addressed at all.  (In contrast, the TAPS guys would have "played" with the door a bit, to see if it was hung off balance, or maybe hadn't latched properly, or ...  )

The footsteps and "breathing" noises seemed a little too "pat".

#39 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

Those meddling kids need a big funny dog to make this show better!

#40 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:51 PM

Touche Coris. And a big green van!

I was very disappointed by the show. It's another Most Haunted. Who was the therapist turned priest? He didn't "feel good" in the kids bedroom...I just watched the show.
Lame! Double thumbs down.

I also tivo'd Ghost Encounters and listened to some girl talk for 15 minutes about sleep paralysis (i don't think she knows what it is...), before I just gave up all together.

The only thing to do is wait for someone from GS to make a TV show!!! Now, that would be cool smile.gif

Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief