Spirits
    Ghosts
    Haunted Places/People
    History
    Movies
    Reading
    Drawing/Sketching

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:26 AM

Has anyone ever come across certain smells that can't be explained?

I have nurmous accounts of sitting around and suddenly being able to smell a strong scent of smoke, like from a cigarette where a source to the smell would be hard to track down, like the time I had been sleeping, and woke up to what sounded like someone flipping lighter (one of those metal ones). I took in a breath and smelled an unbelievable amount of smoke coming from virutally no where.

On a side note: I do live with someone who smokes, but I swear the scent was so strong that it felt as if someone lit up a smoke. and blew it directly on my face for a few seconds. I even sneezed afterwards. To add to the weirdness, the guy (my boyfriend) I live with wasn't around at all at the time.

Another experience I had was when I was settled in my room for the night, still on my laptop, and I started to smell what I thought was shoe polish. I searched the entire room trying to find where it had come from, but couldnt find the source anywhere, and spent 10 minutes smelling shoe polish in my bedroom.

Any stories or experiences like that? and if so, how often to do you go through them?

#2 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

I have heard stories that have run along the same line that you have experienced ChildofTwo.
From what I can remember, the smells were a certain perfume or cologne that a deceased person used to wear, the smell of lilacs or other flowers or the smell of cigarette or cigar smoke.

I know that my grandmother experiences the scent of my grandfather's aftershave from time to time, and she said that it comforts her. smile.gif

I dig some digging online and came across this article:

http://ghosts-hauntings.suite101.com/artic...y_smell_a_ghost

#3 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

We can identify over 100,000 different smells, so I think it gives Spirit the opportunity to create that one unique one that would remind us of them.

I bought my parents house when my father died.  My mom died in 1977 and my dad in 1994.  I would be home alone and I would start up the steps and give a whiff of Electoshave that my dad used to use.  If you have ever smelled it you know that it has a very strong menthol smell and it is quite pungent.

My next door neighbor was sitting in my living room one day and she got this funny look on her face and said OMG, do you smell that?  It's like some kind of heavy men's cologne.  I just laughed and said, yeah, I smell it.  It's my Dad.  She got this funny look on her face and all the color drained out of it.  She said, you're kidding; right?  I said, Brenda, you lived next door to my dad for a few years and knew him.  He is just stopping in to say hello.  She was scared to death!  I said it's just Harry, calm down.  She got up and left and it was a long time before she would come back over.  I thought it was odd because she knew my Dad and what a kind sweet old man he was.  He was adorable!

I also belong to PINK....Paranormal Investigators of Northern Ky.   I was asked to do psychometry on photographs of a few homes.  I held one picture and I immediately smelled cigar smoke just from touching a picture.  I said, well I can tell you this, is somebody complaining that they smell cigar smoke in the house because I can "smell" it when I touch the photo.  He kind of grinned and said that is the main complaint!  Remember, I had to do psychometry with only photos to see if I could join the team and they could use my psychic skills.  I guess I passed!   LOL

So I do believe that Spirit can manufacture whatever smell they wish to get our attention.  When I think of my mom I think of Oil of Olay.  When I think of my grandmother I think of bread baking.  A smell will trigger a memory quicker than any other sense or so they said so in Hypnotherapy School.

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#4 curious

curious

Apport

• GS Member
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Reading, sewing, knitting, learning. <br />

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

I once lived in a home where a very strong scent of cigarette smoke came out of the attic hatch even when it was closed. We did not smoke nor did the people who lived in the home before us. It wasn't stale smoke either, it was 'fresh' smelling, if you know what I mean, although you could not actually see smoke. It only happened occasionally, but it was random, night or day.

On the other hand  I was visiting my mom and one night about 3am I woke up and smelled smoke all around me. I walked out of the room only to find a lit cigarette in an ashtray right next to my moms intake vents!! She had woken up and had a cigarette and did not remember to put it out, she had sat next to the vents and it blew it right in the faces of those in the bedrooms!!

Edited by curious, 11 November 2009 - 10:50 AM.

#5 PABound

PABound

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

We rented a house a few years ago that had all kinds of weird smells some explainable, some not.  One of not explainables was during a snowstorm.  I was taking our Westie outside for a potty break.  As soon as I opened the front door, it smelled like roses.  Not a manufactured rose scent but like I was walking into a rose garden, it was strong!  I walked down the steps with the dog and couldn't smell it anymore.  When he was done, we walked back up and there it was again right at the door.  Smelled wonderful but it was definitely odd!

#6 curious78

curious78

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

I've had this happen to me several times.  My father passed in April and sometimes when I think of him I get a strong smell of whisky and ciggarett smoke (he was an alcholic and chain smoker which led to his death at the age of 53).  

At times when I'm at my Grandma's house I start smelling Old Spice aftershave.  My grandpa always used that and he's been dead for 17 years now.

#7 ChildofTwo

ChildofTwo

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Spiritualism
    Spirit Guides
    Spirits
    Ghosts
    Haunted Places/People
    History
    Movies
    Reading
    Drawing/Sketching

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

Thank you for the replies so far.
I am sorry to hear that many of you have lost your loved ones, but it's good to hear that those people are still around to let you know they're doing fine in the afterlife. Even if its through your nose. Heck, even being able to remember that certain smell of that person you remember after something-odd years is amazing to me.

Hopefully at least their scent brings back happy memories to you guys, though. smile.gif

#8 Enemyace

Enemyace

Shemp

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal studies, gardening, antique radio restoration, aviation history, bicycling. Oh, and I love animals, especially cats.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

I was working alone overnight at a shopping mall and distinctly smelled cigarette smoke but I had quit some months previous. There is no way for anyone to get into the mall once she's buttoned up for the night. We had a person collaspse and die at the mall some time previous but I never found out if this person was a smoker.

#9 Guest_LadyCrymson_*

Guest_LadyCrymson_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

I've picked up a few different smells from time to time here, one being what I can only describe as funeral flower smell, which is disturbing to me and I've smelled that more than once, and the other strong one was the smell of garment leather.  There's also been a couple different perfume and cologne scents.

#10 OffDutyCop

OffDutyCop

Paranormal Law Enforcer

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Research and Investigation, Military History, Law Enforcement History, Irish and Irish-American History, Naval and Martime History, Writing, Video Gaming

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

I've read many accounts of "phantom smells", and think that it's highly possible that ghosts/spirits could use them as some form of communication, or perhaps to announce their presence. On the other hand, it's also possible that some, if not all entities, have no control over the smells that they put off.

A problem does come into play, however, when trying to look as these "phantom smells" from an objective point of view. Outside of a few circumstances, there are numerous ways that a particular odor can be introduced to an area. As a result, I believe that the totality of circumstances must be taken into account when trying to determine if a particular odor is of the unexplainable variety. Even then, an odor, in my opinion, should never be viewed as strong, stand alone evidence that a particular area may be haunted. I would encourage any investigators, and even those who may feel they're being haunted or visited themselves, to document, and take notice of such smells.

With a little further digging, you might be able to either debunk, or validate those smells in the future!
"In each of us, there are two sides at war....the good and the evil. The fight rages between them all of our lives, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be, we are. " ---Dr. Henry Jekyll

#11 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:38 AM

I believe either of these apply when you're speaking of ghost related smells - "Clair-Alience or olfactory".

I've had several experiences but one I always found the most humorous came within the family. My father has always been a hardcore skeptic and believing in the afterlife for him just wasn't a reality in any shape or form. He's always been in complete denial in the unexplained. For him, it's strictly perceiving reality as you see it and that's as far as it goes.

Anyways, my mother had a very deep connection with her closest friend that passed on rather suddenly. Weeks later she had an extremely lucid dream and upon awakening, ran out of the bedroom and down the hall to share the dream with my father. She expressed to him how real the dream was and she said that her friend was definitely trying to make contact. My father patiently listened as they stood in the hallway when suddenly an overwhelming perfume smell made it increasingly more difficult to breathe. The perfume was a special one that only my mother's friend wore! My mother with exclamation said to my father "That's her! I recognize her perfume!".

At this point my father was pale and bewildered finding his feet leading him quickly into the spare bedroom where he promptly closed the door and refused to come out for over an hour! To this day whenever my mother mentions the story, my father attempts to quickly change subjects and continues to say it never happened.

I can't help but grin. One day I'll have to ask him what he thinks about what his son does in his spare time with such passion smile.gif

Edited by evp, 12 November 2009 - 12:44 AM.

#12 Enemyace

Enemyace

Shemp

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal studies, gardening, antique radio restoration, aviation history, bicycling. Oh, and I love animals, especially cats.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE(OffDutyCopGStudy @ Nov 11 2009, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With a little further digging, you might be able to either debunk, or validate those smells in the future!

Yes, I'm all for that. Nobody should jump to a conclusion either way. I think sometimes some of us, and I'll include myself, want something to be of a paranormal nature and we tend to stop there instead of exhausting all the possibilities before attempting to reach a conclusion or position.  investigate.gif Me, sometimes I'm ambivalent. I also sometimes get a bit too excited to have proof I myself can believe, not necessarily proof that will sway others into belief. But sometimes I feel I may be involving myself in things best left alone.

Edited by Enemyace, 12 November 2009 - 06:08 AM.

#13 curious78

curious78

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:22 AM

I think some of the common ones are easy to debunk like cig smoke because you could have inadvertanly been around someone that day who smoked and you might be smelling it on the clothes.

Or I've had experiences when I've thought "Pizza sounds good for dinner" then I will start smelling it.  I dont claim that to be ghostly but maybe just my mind sending a message LOL.

But I do think that some are paranormal, just not all

#14 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

I've been woken out of a deep sleep to smell cigarette smoke and whiskey at times. I do not drink alcohol, and do smoke but never ever in the bedroom. During the day I shut the door. Thats not to say a non smoker wouldnt smell it everywhere, but to wake choking on smoke didnt make sense. It was as if someone in my bedroom was smoking a cig and blowing the smoke right in my face. I hate the smell of alcohol but several times the odor not only woke me up, but I gagged because it was so strong. My Mom died of liver failure due to alcohol, and that never occurred to me till a much later time, and she did smoke. I didnt make the connection at the time. I also get a strong odor of paint, and I know its my friend who died of Cancer in 2005 and she was constantly painting her apartment, so I know its her. I think that is the only way, many spirits of loved ones,let us know they are around. Picture 562.gif
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#15 ChildofTwo

ChildofTwo

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Spiritualism
    Spirit Guides
    Spirits
    Ghosts
    Haunted Places/People
    History
    Movies
    Reading
    Drawing/Sketching

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

Well, last night I started to smell a faint scent of leather, like either from some sort of coat or maybe some boots... and it managed to soothe me to sleep somehow. Then, strangely enough, I woke up to the smell and taste of coffee and raisin bread (I think it was raisin bread, at least).

Darn, I wished I had some coffee right about now. sad.gif

#16 SpOoKz

SpOoKz

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

When my great grandma died and we were cleaning her house out we could smell roses in the weirdest places. In the basement there was old clothes and books and junk that smelled like.. an old basement lol but sometimes when we were down there packing up old stuff or discoviering new stuff there would be a wave of the smell of roses. It would start at one end of the room and spread out and completely cover the old dusty basement smell. Then the smell would disappear again as fast as it appeared.  It would pop up again in other rooms especially if we were taking a rest from packing up all her stuff.

My mom said that roses were her grandmas favorite flower and the smell was probably her coming to watch over us while we were in the house. I remember when i smelled it in her dining room i started talking to her.. I dunno why.. it just felt like the right thing to do. I cant explain it but the room got happy all of a sudden. Before it felt like something was missing (my great grandma) and it felt weird to be in her house when she wasnt there...like we were rummaging through all her stuff while he back was turned...it felt wrong. As soon as i started talking to her it seemed like she was happy we (I) knew she was there and it was more like when she was alive and i would go "exploring" through all her stuff and she would tell me the stories behind all the things i found.

The only other time i can remember smelling anything was in an apartment building one of my ex friends lives in. just down the hall from her apartment there was always a super strong smell of cigarettes. Like 10000 people were all smoking at once.  It was so bad that i could even taste it whenever i walked by the door it was coming from. no one else could ever smell it though.  

I wonder if there are some "ghost" smells that everyone can smell and others that only certain people can smell.
Our father who art in Vancouver, hockey be thy name. Thy will be done, the gold will be won, on ice, as well as thy stands. Give us this day, Our hockey sticks, and forgive us our penalties as we forgive those who cross check against us. Lead us not into elimination, but deliver us to victory. For this is the true north strong and free, forever and ever. AMEN.

GO, CANADA, GO

#17 Mikah

Mikah

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

Please don't call the psych unit on me, but one of our ghosts cooks breakfast. We live in a rowhome and presently both sides are up for sale so there's nobody in them. We've been awakened to a bacon and eggs smell on several ocassions.

Flowers only recently when my mom was very sick. She had congestive heart failure and being stubborn and not wanting to go to the hospital she held out for a Doctor's appointment. The smell of flowers was overwhelming, and it was up. Like up above our heads. It lasted maybe a good twenty minutes.

No ciggie smoke smells here because I smoke, BUT our ghost steals ciggies. Only Marlboro Red though.

#18 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(Mikah @ Dec 11 2009, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please don't call the psych unit on me, but one of our ghosts cooks breakfast. We live in a rowhome and presently both sides are up for sale so there's nobody in them. We've been awakened to a bacon and eggs smell on several ocassions.

Speaking as someone who loves breakfast, that would be such a tease!  biggrin.gif

#19 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:22 AM

So much of human memory is involved with scent...  all it takes is the scent of sugar cookies baking to send me back to childhood. biggrin.gif   Or the scent of "Chantilly" or "Channel" to put me next to my grandma on her couch learning to crochet, do embroidery, etc.

so maybe scent is a good way, not only to say "I'm here watching over you." but also who that "I" is.

#20 Mikah

Mikah

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(AugustineGStudy @ Dec 11 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speaking as someone who loves breakfast, that would be such a tease!  biggrin.gif

You like scrapple Aug? These are Philly ghosts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users