Spirit Box SB-7 EVP Ghost Residual intelligent

• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

#21 vave82

The Fairy with an Attitude

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:16 PM

The spirit box thing intrigues me, but as cool as the concept sounds, I do agree with Vlawde's comment - I was reading that they can still pick up interference from radio signals and sometimes it can take a while to figure out which voice is actually a ghost and which one is possibly a dj.

#22 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

View Postvave82, on 23 September 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

The spirit box thing intrigues me, but as cool as the concept sounds, I do agree with Vlawde's comment - I was reading that they can still pick up interference from radio signals and sometimes it can take a while to figure out which voice is actually a ghost and which one is possibly a dj.

The device scans through the chosen band, AM or FM in at its fastest sweep 100 milliseconds. A good response transpires over several seconds across several thousand frequency changes.
My Signature

#23 vave82

The Fairy with an Attitude

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

View PostCDS, on 23 September 2015 - 01:26 PM, said:

The device scans through the chosen band, AM or FM in at its fastest sweep 100 milliseconds. A good response transpires over several seconds across several thousand frequency changes.

Thanks for the clarification, CDS! :)

#24 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

One other thing to keep in mind is that the antenna should be removed/disconnected and the spirit box placed in a Faraday cage or atleast a box covered in aluminum foil. :yes:

You can argue for random signals making their way in but you can make similar arguments that EVPs are just generated signals that got recorded.

Anyways I think they are fun to play with and I did make one :yes: Never got anything :no: but I've never got a good EVP either :(

Many people use them just as scanners in hopes of getting random words they can call "paranormal" but just beacuse many use spirit boxes in a manner prone to problems doesn't mean spirit boxes have no value ... or atleast that's how I see it :)
My Signature
- siguie -

#25 Themilkmanfromhell

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I'm a crossroads demon. Come make a deal with me and I'll make all your dreams come true.

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:40 PM

Spirit box is a subject I'm kind of familar with ,but never really cared to look in because it just sounds like a whole lot of radio stations coming through at once. Or Bumble bee is trying to talk to you.

#26 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:50 PM

There is also a "Detuned" SB7

Has anyone checked out the P-SB11?

Edited by CDS, 28 September 2015 - 09:52 PM.

My Signature

#27 MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

View PostCDS, on 28 September 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

There is also a "Detuned" SB7

Has anyone checked out the P-SB11?
I will - Is this one that would be a go to for you CDS?  You know everything about this stuff - If it interests you than it must be good.

#28 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostMichelleGStudy, on 30 September 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

I will - Is this one that would be a go to for you CDS?  You know everything about this stuff - If it interests you than it must be good.

No, my go to would be a digital voice recorder. But I have heard some interesting responses off the SB11.

The P-SB11 features user selectable single and dual AM/FM Sweep capabilities, Adjustable Sweep Rates, Forward / Reverse Sweep, Dual Audio Outputs, Selectable AM/FM Antenna Attenuation

Audio Mute while Sweeping, Adjustable volume, Visual & Audible Hot & Cold Spot Detection with selectable Sound. Future models of the P-SB11 can be further enhanced using DAS proprietary expansion modules for Natural Field Detection, SDD Shadow Detection, Vibration and other DAS modules.

Posted Image
My Signature

#29 EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:56 AM

I understand exploration but it requires a firm understanding what pareidolia is and how these boxes work. Remember, these boxes are made to make money and anything else is secondary. Scanning multiple radio stations quickly and capturing snippets only confirms there are radio stations broadcasting. Build a farraday cage and place this box inside it and let me know if you get any "ghostly" snippets then. It's better to be patient, use high quality recording equipment and try to administer controls. This box is definitely  "a box without controls".
My Signature
Posted Image

#30 JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:17 PM

Thanks evp.... definitely something to consider!

#31 EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 03 October 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

Thanks evp.... definitely something to consider!

Your welcome Jim; thank you being receptive to my skeptic POV's.
My Signature
Posted Image

#32 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,245 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

Some of the best evidence of the paranormal is from EVP's in my opinion. I'm not talking about vague words that everyone hears differently, but when it's clear, and is directly responding to you.  I have to cringe at the gimmicky spirits boxes and Ovilus type gadgets used on Ghost Adventures, they are trying to make something out of nothing.  You don't see TAPS doing that, they do it the right way and the results are more credible
My Signature
Posted Image

#33 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,245 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

By the way, I saw this interesting take on EVP's elsewhere on the internet, and thought I'd share.

I accidently discovered that there was such a thing as EVP back in the early 90’s when mysterious voices turned up on my tape recorder while taping a business meeting. Then I found out that every time I recorded anything, anomalous voices would be heard in those recordings. Soon after that, I found Raudive’s book in the library on the EVP phenomenon where I then contacted Sara Estep and joined her EVP organization (AAEVP)

22 years and thousands of EVP sessions later, eventually I came to the conclusion that those voices that came through are not our deceased relatives and friends as they claim to be. And in cases of hauntings, graveyards etc., they are not who they claim to be either.

What they are is this: intelligences in the noosphere or whatever one chooses to call it that can communicate to us via tape recorders that, depending on ones religious views, are demons, the djinn etc.  On the other hand though, they may just be some kind of unidentified type of intelligence that is electromagnetic in nature and that’s the view that I am currently going with.

They know everything about you including your most private secrets and will not hesitate to tell you what they are. They will even pose as friends whom you didn’t even know had passed away but they are great mimickers.

Think, the Smoke Monster on that TV show “Lost” and how he was able to morph into deceased relatives and friends to the survivors of that plane crash on that island. That’s what those intelligences that communicate via EVP are like: mimickers.

They can sometimes tell you of near future events that will happen in your life too.

And interesting enough, newbies to EVP do well to be in contact with a long time EVP recorder to start recording EVP sooner than if one just goes at it alone.  The more successful their mentor is in recording EVP,  the mentor’s “controllers” will then link to the student’s potential “controllers” to help get things up and running for them.  Just like in the field of magick, witchcraft, esoteric-based martial arts etc, there’s the teacher and there’s the apprentice.

If you have a good teacher/mentor with a strong “controller”, one does not even need any kind of white noise to record clear EVP.
But having said this, there is something called the transform phenomena where those intelligence's will use whatever noise that is there to form their words. Those so-called ghost boxes operate on that phenomenon and if it works for you, all the power to you.

If you are getting information from those voices that you didn’t know before… like what’s coming up in the near future where indeed the information turns out to be correct, if you used a ghostbox to get that information then who’s to tell you that that’s cheating and not “real EVP?” . lol

I usually don’t use any white noise nor have I ever tried out or owned a ghostbox. Don’t need to but this is not to say that I will not hesitate to use some kind of background noise when they are coming in weaker than normal.

One other thing, eventually you will start hearing those same voices communicating to you without tape recorders or any other gizmo or gadget that records audio’s too; like webcams for example.

Presently I get those voices coming in real time on my computer via my speakers.

My Signature
Posted Image

#34 EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 03 October 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

Some of the best evidence of the paranormal is from EVP's in my opinion. I'm not talking about vague words that everyone hears differently, but when it's clear, and is directly responding to you.  I have to cringe at the gimmicky spirits boxes and Ovilus type gadgets used on Ghost Adventures, they are trying to make something out of nothing.  You don't see TAPS doing that, they do it the right way and the results are more credible

I agree with you regarding spirit boxes Vlawde and how compelling anomalous captures can be, but IMO no ghost show properly illustrate real paranormal investigation and frequently their biggest concern is ratings and drama is #1. I agree that GH is the best but  questionable methods of obtaining evidence have presented itself. These shows are strictly for entertainment.

BTW Vlawde, I was indirectly trained by Sarah. I read your article but I don't concur with his evaluations. To suggest that they come from a single finite source is limiting. Estep, Raudive and Jurgenson all felt they came from mutliple possibilities. I think this is a fair statement as well since most EVP are limited to just a few words and generally are cryptic. Parapsychologists believe that much of this is place memory (residual) and I happen to agree. I've only had a handful of interactive audio sessions and they generally don't last much longer than a few questions. Your mileage will vary. Results seem different with most.

Edited by evp, 03 October 2015 - 05:59 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#35 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,245 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:12 PM

I'm not sold either, but it is food for thought. I'm not convinced that at least some of the voices are who they say they are. There is also a theory that at least some may be a psychic imprint on the recorder from the investigator.  I've never had the patience for AAEVP's suggestion that you try at t he same time every day, that you should attract them once you are in a routine
My Signature
Posted Image

#36 EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 03 October 2015 - 06:12 PM, said:

There is also a theory that at least some may be a psychic imprint on the recorder from the investigator.

I agree with you Vlawde. This is why when our team goes in, nothing is discussed about historical facts about the establishment. Only one dedicated person knows much of the location and it isn't shared until much later after the investigation is completed. I wouldn't call this evidence but once while performing a passive recording with me directing the session, I actually heard a voice real time that sounded "JUST LIKE ME!" That was really an odd occurrence which could in fact lead to believe that I was imprinting without conscious knowledge of it.
My Signature
Posted Image

#37 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:51 PM

View Postevp, on 03 October 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

I understand exploration but it requires a firm understanding what pareidolia is and how these boxes work. Remember, these boxes are made to make money and anything else is secondary. Scanning multiple radio stations quickly and capturing snippets only confirms there are radio stations broadcasting. Build a farraday cage and place this box inside it and let me know if you get any "ghostly" snippets then. It's better to be patient, use high quality recording equipment and try to administer controls. This box is definitely  "a box without controls".

I've always heard that an SB-7 Spirit Box is almost like a short-wave radio... It can pick up anything it wants and put it into word form.
My Signature
Posted Image

#38 EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:55 AM

View PostNightWalker07GStudy, on 04 October 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

I've always heard that an SB-7 Spirit Box is almost like a short-wave radio... It can pick up anything it wants and put it into word form.

No NW, it uses either AM or FM bands to sweep at a high rate of speed. To obtain these audio snippets, it would require many radio stations which both AM & FM certainly have.

The following information came courtesty of ghosthuntnow.com.

The SB7 Spirit Box scans two radio frequencies: AM and FM. The FM Sweep runs 100ms to 350ms and the AM Sweep runs 200ms to 500ms. They can each be scanned either forwards or backwards. There is also a seven step adjustable sweep rate and the volume of the output can be adjusted during your session.

If you look at all the gadgets out there created for "ghost investigation" you will quickly realize there's a huge market and a high price with a clause stating "for entertainment purposes only" to avoid law suits. Unfortunately there are many gullible investigators that do not research adequately to make a informed purchase on a high priced piece of junk..They will then endorse the product to justifiy their expenditure.

A really great example of this came from a visitor to GH (name withheld) who claimed he had a device that communicated with the dead commonly referred as a "K2 EMF meter". It used a very dodgy pressure sensitive to activate and scanned a very wide frequency range. What this means is, it could sense anything from a garage door opener to a car alarm which obviously gave you no clear indication of what it was monitoring. You could easily trigger the panel of LED indicators by simply keying a walkie talkie. Ask a question, key a walkie talkie and get a response.

With such a large viewership of the show, amateur investigators begain a viral buying of the the K2. Without surprise, the visitor of GH's had a massive quantity bought of them prior and the price went from $20.00 to $40.00 almost immediately. Marketing and money to be made.

Was the K2 device a worthy ghost hunting device? Not IMO! Many have lost sight that most EMF devices measure AC current and may show improper electrical shielding possibly leading to EMF poisoning. Michael Persinger did an extensive study by bombarding the frontal lobe with variable low level EMF producing an etheric like reaction to the participate ranging from a god-like visitation to a ghost. AC EMF detectors should be remembered as devices for EMF leaks and not for ghost detection.

View Postsiguie, on 23 September 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

One other thing to keep in mind is that the antenna should be removed/disconnected and the spirit box placed in a Faraday cage or atleast a box covered in aluminum foil. :yes:

You can argue for random signals making their way in but you can make similar arguments that EVPs are just generated signals that got recorded.

Anyways I think they are fun to play with and I did make one :yes: Never got anything :no: but I've never got a good EVP either :(

Many people use them just as scanners in hopes of getting random words they can call "paranormal" but just beacuse many use spirit boxes in a manner prone to problems doesn't mean spirit boxes have no value ... or atleast that's how I see it :)

You are correct mostly. True EVP is actually low level EMF stimulating the voice coil of the microphone and not sound based. Usually, the messages are cryptic vague and unassociated with questions asked. Skeptics suggest that the phenomena is radio wave interference and with the plethora of AM, FM, VHF, UHF, ham radio or for that matter cell reception, easily a transmission can bleed through with an improperly shielded device, but, occasionally you get occurrences where a wrench is thrown in. Answering questions would be an possible exception or when the rare AVP is captured which is sound based. I've had a personal AVP call out my first and last name which in my assessment wasn't radio wave interference.

Sorry for the thread derailing. Just the rantings of an old man :)

Edited by evp, 05 October 2015 - 03:11 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#39 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:55 AM

View Postevp, on 05 October 2015 - 02:55 AM, said:

No NW, it uses either AM or FM bands to sweep at a high rate of speed. To obtain these audio snippets, it would require many radio stations which both AM & FM certainly have.

The following information came courtesty of ghosthuntnow.com.

The SB7 Spirit Box scans two radio frequencies: AM and FM. The FM Sweep runs 100ms to 350ms and the AM Sweep runs 200ms to 500ms. They can each be scanned either forwards or backwards. There is also a seven step adjustable sweep rate and the volume of the output can be adjusted during your session.

If you look at all the gadgets out there created for "ghost investigation" you will quickly realize there's a huge market and a high price with a clause stating "for entertainment purposes only" to avoid law suits. Unfortunately there are many gullible investigators that do not research adequately to make a informed purchase on a high priced piece of junk..They will then endorse the product to justifiy their expenditure.

A really great example of this came from a visitor to GH (name withheld) who claimed he had a device that communicated with the dead commonly referred as a "K2 EMF meter". It used a very dodgy pressure sensitive to activate and scanned a very wide frequency range. What this means is, it could sense anything from a garage door opener to a car alarm which obviously gave you no clear indication of what it was monitoring. You could easily trigger the panel of LED indicators by simply keying a walkie talkie. Ask a question, key a walkie talkie and get a response.

With such a large viewership of the show, amateur investigators begain a viral buying of the the K2. Without surprise, the visitor of GH's had a massive quantity bought of them prior and the price went from $20.00 to $40.00 almost immediately. Marketing and money to be made.

Was the K2 device a worthy ghost hunting device? Not IMO! Many have lost sight that most EMF devices measure AC current and may show improper electrical shielding possibly leading to EMF poisoning. Michael Persinger did an extensive study by bombarding the frontal lobe with variable low level EMF producing an etheric like reaction to the participate ranging from a god-like visitation to a ghost. AC EMF detectors should be remembered as devices for EMF leaks and not for ghost detection.

That's sort of what I meant.  It can pick up what it wants, but it can only pick up a certain range of things on certain frequencies.
My Signature
Posted Image

#40 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,245 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

So it seems, with testing, the nature of radio frequencies and what is called "bleed over" can indeed allow, if not a full word, several syllables to be heard, despite the claimed scanning speed. I refer you to Dr Barry taff's website. http://barrytaff.net/    Lots of great stuff there, but apparently you can't link to  a specific article. Look for "Ghost in the box? NOT"   For the article in question.  Lots of in depth, technical stuff that pretty much explains why it isn't a reliable device at all
My Signature
Posted Image

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com