15 replies to this topic

#1 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

Sorry that I've been absent but I've been dog sitting and other stuff that you get to read about.

I'm so excited!!  I first heard about the house on Scougle Street twenty-two years ago.  There has been bits and pieces over the years.

I've taken pictures of the exterior of the house and transferred them to my computer and then I saw the picture album of what the house on Scougle Street looked like prior to its reconstruction.

It may have been a boarding house because the stairwell is on the outside of the house which I have never seen before.  (Has anyone ever seen that before?)  It looks as though the reconstruction was done using the original footprint of the house.

The pictures in the album are old polaroids and I've mailed EVP for help in reproducing them so I can post them and you will be able to see what it once looked like and what it is now.   (I guess I have to get a Flickr account too...blah)  And there may be more information on this place in the attic.  I'm going back on Halloween.

Here's the game plan:

I'm learning the operating system of my computer (blah) and I'm learning 4 cameras (blah), yet every time I go there, I'll be taking a camera.

With the renters in there now (it's a two family dwelling) there is no talking about what I'm doing there..not on the premises do we talk about it. (remember I've said that hauntings are nosy)

I'm inserting myself into their lives and onto that property.  It's quite a drive from where I live so I won't be there every day and that is unfortunate yet I can stay there and that's A+.

So I hope no one is in a BIG hurry because there is no hurrying the exploration of a haunted place.

Do I think that the house on Scougle Street is haunted?  It's possible.  Major reconstruction of the dwelling in 1986.  Reported manifestations over 20 + years.   It's promising!

#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

Sounds good Menet :D I can't wait and look forward to your posts
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

Menet, on 28 October 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Do I think that the house on Scougle Street is haunted?  It's possible.  Major reconstruction of the dwelling in 1986.  Reported manifestations over 20 + years.   It's promising!

To offer promise of the unknowing Menet, I think if one is patient, you will find some type of activity whether it comes from a street corner or a Denny's restaurant. From my research, activity at times can be pointed to transient. Some places have a history while other obscure and unknown places might all of a sudden experience a calling. The bits of activity at best (in most situations) are minimal and do not offer an explanation as to why or who. We all like offering a correlation with a dwelling/establishment with a person(s). It allows us to make sense out of the chaos yet that can be faulty reasoning.

I apologize for being redundant, but I still suggest you include an audio recorder for anomalous audio. My highest ratio of paranormal activity comes from audio. Others would agree with this. Some are more fortunate to capture suspected images of paranormal activity but visual phenomena (for myself) is rare to experience. Trying to trap anything legitimate with a camera has the same hit rate of winning the lotto.

At one time we had a dedicated historian to our team and we switched our push in the dwellings history to just one person. The rest of us were left in the dark (pun intended) as to any prior history of signficance. Why you might ask? We speculated some of the activity could be projected by the teams knowledge base and by minimizing it, we might have a clearer understanding of what was actually present instead of of own paranamal creation of distraction.

Looking forward to this multi-visitiaton. One of our favorite locations we explored 20+ times hoping to build a relationship. We never had the same visitor so to speak more than once. To date, none of my communications have come from the same entity more than once. Thus why I suggest "transient." Mieage varies according to many factors. Good luck!

Edited by EVP, 28 October 2017 - 10:18 PM.

Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#4 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

LOL.  I'm in it for the pictures, but I've been thinking about you because its occurred to me to use a recorder and I might in the long run.  It's way too early to tell.  My plate is full and Scougle Street is full of noise.  Two dogs, two cats and four people plus a profusion of visitors.  (hope they ask me to pet sit and everyone leaves.  It could happen.  LOL)

The only history of the house that I'm interested in is the renovation/reconstruction.  If I can find blueprints in the attic that would be great. And information does come to one in the most unexpected of ways.

For instance, your speaking of transients.  HAHAHAHA.   The House on Scougle Street stood empty for years after the previous owner passed on, and during that time the homeless and those passing through stayed the night for shelter.   You have jarred my memory and I have a new set of steps to track down the original layout of the building.

It's the only history I'm interested in.   Anything else is incidental, coincidental or an assumption.  I'm not going to the library or the historical society.  I don't have a need for names or faces associated with the property unless it's for the original floor plans.  That's it.

As far as relationships with the unknown goes, that's foolishness.  I've been in enough of them to know the goings on are not based in BFF  Rubbish.   At best, one is sharing space.  Anything else is your imagination at work.  (I'll excuse sensitives, mediums, psychics and small children from the aforementioned sentence because I know that the potential for conversation may very well be there)

No.   Thank you!

I'll get to practice my skill set and see how effective I can be.  So a camera seems the easiest course of action....people do win the lottery.  And Jim needs pictures.

I'm in it for the long haul.  The only stopper would be that the owner or myself dies.  That would suck.   Thanks for your assistance, EVP.

I'm sure I will be contacting you...soon.   I leave tomorrow morning and will be gone just long enough to make Kittafur anxious.

#5 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

I was going to bow out of this because of the drama that occurs in this house.  I don't like drama but as I come to understand it, I've made a difference by making myself available.  When the downstairs occupant hurt her leg, I lent a hand by helping her get ready for the holiday.  I cleaned the place for her.   Not only was she deeply appreciative, I got to go over every wall, window, door, ceiling, floor and appliance and checked the place out.

I played with my camera and found lighting difficulties throughout and corners that I need to be aware of.  I remained unsure if this place could work because of the layout downstairs.  It was not as altered as I had previously hoped for.   Once I got inside, I was disappointed but I finally made it to the upstairs apartment and walked all the way through it this time.  It has what I'm looking for.  Major alterations in the layout of the 2nd floor.

You don't notice it in the new addition, what is now the kitchen and dining room but when you enter the living room and walk the hallway to the bedrooms, you can see it.  The walls are angled and it looks strange.  I took a couple pictures but you cannot see how unusual it is in a picture.  You have to stand in it.

Apparitions, loud noises, feelings of unease.  We don't talk there, about it, the occupants have tried me on that and I won't budge.  Not the easiest way to carry on but we go out for coffee.  

I talked with the one remaining contractor that worked on the renovation of the house.  The only time he had anything happen to him was when he walked into the house early one morning and found 3 or 4 hobos camped out in the living room and he wasn't expecting company.  For him that was the only odd occurrence.  He also explained the oddness of the walls upstairs.   They wanted a living room,  2 bedrooms and a bath plus heating and hot water.

That's about it for now.  Still working on the operating system of my computer.  Blah.  Working with cameras.  Blah.  Traveling around the area and Christmas shopping with friends and family.  I'm having fun with that.  I'm headed back to Scougle Street on Saturday.

Hope your holiday was fun!!

#6 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

Sounds like a great day that you've had Menet, good to see you back here!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#7 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:06 PM

Menet, on 23 November 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

I took a couple pictures but you cannot see how unusual it is in a picture.  You have to stand in it.

That's definitely one of the difficulties when making an image. Displaying a three dimensional object in a one dimensional plane isn't an easy task. Photographers have to add dimension by fooling the viewers eye by including foreground, middle ground and background. Architectural photography also adds further issues because of lens distortion and pincushioning throwing straight lines to an angle or bulging. Some of this can be fixed in post production but costly tilt-shift lenses are made to handle these problems. Nothing beats the human eye in this case.

Not only was she deeply appreciative, I got to go over every wall, window, door, ceiling, floor and appliance and checked the place out.

Your reward was two fold with helping the tenant. Examining the layout and helping a person in need Menet. Bless you

I'm interested in hearing any back history that might relate to any activity. I'm not convinced there is a tie to alleged activity but I often find the nuances from the past fascinating.

I'm curious on the number of visits you anticipate to this one location. Our ongoing investigation is centered around a mansion built in 1788 and is among the last of it's kind on the Connecticut River Valley. We've visited this 6800 square foot mansion 20+ times and at times felt we've built a repore with decides to linger there. I feel that's an important facet as the energies seem more inclined to communicate freely when we know longer appear to be strangers.

Edited by EVP, 23 November 2017 - 10:13 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,729 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

EVP, on 28 October 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

Trying to trap anything legitimate with a camera has the same hit rate of winning the lotto.

Yikes... it sounds like I've wasted 18 years on the wrong side of  the paranormal.  :huh:
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#9 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

Jim@GhostStudy, on 23 November 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Yikes... it sounds like I've wasted 18 years on the wrong side of  the paranormal.  :huh:

It wasn't wasted...you were experimenting :)
Posted Image

#10 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,729 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:20 AM

EVP, on 23 November 2017 - 11:49 PM, said:

It wasn't wasted...you were experimenting :)

Well, I guess I'm going to have to continue to experiment because I'm trusting paranormal photography over collecting EVP's. I have nothing what-so-ever against Electronic Voice Phenomena though. I'm just on a different path with supernatural research. And I have witnessed too much regarding the photography angle. ;)

But I do relish in knowing that you & I are are both pushing forward in this amazing research... even if it's on separate paths. It's all good.   :  )
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#11 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for the update Menet; I think it is good you are setting rules. I look forward to reading more. :yes: I haven't got one present yet I'll have to start!
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#12 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

EVP, on 23 November 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

That's definitely one of the difficulties when making an image. Displaying a three dimensional object in a one dimensional plane isn't an easy task. Photographers have to add dimension by fooling the viewers eye by including foreground, middle ground and background. Architectural photography also adds further issues because of lens distortion and pincushioning throwing straight lines to an angle or bulging. Some of this can be fixed in post production but costly tilt-shift lenses are made to handle these problems. Nothing beats the human eye in this case.

I'm interested in hearing any back history that might relate to any activity. I'm not convinced there is a tie to alleged activity but I often find the nuances from the past fascinating.

I'm curious on the number of visits you anticipate to this one location. Our ongoing investigation is centered around a mansion built in 1788 and is among the last of it's kind on the Connecticut River Valley. We've visited this 6800 square foot mansion 20+ times and at times felt we've built a repore with decides to linger there. I feel that's an important facet as the energies seem more inclined to communicate freely when we know longer appear to be strangers.

Hello, EVP.

Thanks for the heads up on trying pictures in that hallway.  I can now understand why people take pictures in the dark.  Shooting in a lighted area is problematic.  Learning it is tough..for me anyway.  I will say that for all the dust, animal and human hair this place had before I cleaned it (the downstairs anyway) I have no orbs.  What do you suppose that means?  And I'm not talking about ghosts.  I'll keep trying to capture dust, animal and human hair.  Uh huh.  lol

Everything I have is hearsay so there is no historical significance present here.   History is influential and seldom true in the onset.  Why bother?  Not to mention the fact that all of the structures that I have had the opportunity to explore were changed.  Reconstructed, renovated.  The original floor plan had been altered to a substantial degree and they produced active hauntings.

As I am sure you are well aware, this is not a new idea or concept yet if I can further elaborate on its characterization and explore other ideas that are circulating out there or setup another experiment...that is the fun of it.

I've been there a total of seven days.  Two of which I took Kittafur and stayed overnight.  How long do I think it will take?  Too long at this rate.   Not living there creates its own problems.   I might have to wrangle its occupants into assisting me.   I don't like that but I may well have to consider it more seriously.   I don't like to scare people but if they are unaccustomed to probing a little deeper, it catches peoples attention and they have a tendency to say..."What!?  What do you want me to do!?  What can happen?!"  lol

I haven't received the Big Boo yet but I haven't been in the basement or gone through the entire upstairs apartment to explore its idiosyncrasies (sp)either.   Sometimes you have to roust them up and out of their hiding places or so it sometimes seems.  I don't especially care to be the intruder but I am what I am.

I am suppose to be on the road to Scougle Street soon.  Gotta go.

#13 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

true Menet, sometimes you have to approach slowly and let them get used to you before much in the way of activity shows up!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#14 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Hi Menet

View PostMenet, on 25 November 2017 - 05:54 AM, said:

I can now understand why people take pictures in the dark. Shooting in a lighted area is problematic.  Learning it is tough..for me anyway.  I will say that for all the dust, animal and human hair this place had before I cleaned it (the downstairs anyway) I have no orbs.  What do you suppose that means?

I don’t know if you have access to a flash or if your camera is equipped with a hotshoe on top of the body, but I’d highly recommend you bounce flash off the ceiling (as long as it’s not too high) or a nearby wall. This will reduce prevalent shadows, evenly light the scene and diminish any dust, dander or contaminants appearing in shots aka orbs. Dust will appear within a day unless they live in an Intel clean room.

Shooting long exposures without a flash will require you to shoot with a tripod and with a trigger or you will be paying the cost of motion/camera shake reducing your flexibility. Also, by photographing a long exposure, if anything was to manifest which typically is a brief moment, it will not likely appear in the exposure when the shutter is extended in time.

I took this shot with my other camera bouncing the light off the ceiling. Notice how balanced the exposure is with minimal shadows. This is what you want. White walls are you friend. Dust exposed by projecting your flash close and parallel to your lens means false positives.

I do not really know what equipment you are working with but long exposures with film require finesse. Again, you are a brave woman. I would not want to shoot 15-60 second exposure with film. I am just not that good.

Posted Image

Edited by EVP, 26 November 2017 - 01:06 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

My dear EVP,

I am not the artist that you are when it comes to photography.   I have no desire to spend thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment.  Mostly because I'm not artistic.   And it is an art form.   Your work speaks for itself.   Yet I am inexperienced with cameras and should easily be able to create a false positive.   I have to work at it, mostly because people reach for it so easily as an explanation for why it cannot be what others think it is.   Get my drift?   I have all the ingredients.

A cheap camera with limited capabilities, specifically, a cell phone.  (Most people use these for taking convenient photos and discover something else later on). I spent yesterday in the upstairs apartment on Scougle.  The occupant had been taking pictures with her cellphone and had me take a look at them.   When I asked her if she had ever examined the settings on her phone that related to taking pictures, she replied, "No."  And she didn't plan on it.   Of course, on cell phones you have limited capabilities yet it is a perfect starting point because you can examine what you do have and play around with it.

There are pets here, lots of them.  Cat hair everywhere and I'm sure the dogs are adding to it.  Human hair too.   And dust.  It is inevitable, people live here.   So far, I've got nothing on my camera.  Nothing.

What am I going to do next?  Shake a dry mop out and see what I get.  Honestly, I think that if it is that common to misinterpret dust or  hair for something else, I should be able to do that with a simple camera...what most people have in their possession.  What are your thoughts on this?

I appreciated your explanation of lighting conditions and the example that you gave with your Canon.   Surprisingly, I have been able to accomplish this (to my current satisfaction) with the upstairs kitchen.   The overhead lighting is fluorescent and plenty of it.  There is little if any shadowing.   The downstairs kitchen also contains fluorescent lighting although the windows cause a problem with light reflection.  Both rooms are white.

The upstairs is completely white throughout but the downstairs walls are navy blue in the dining room and living room.   The walls are very reflective.

I've got cookies to bake today but wanted you to know that I appreciated the information you shared.  I'll let you know  how it goes with that dry mop.   I think I'll use the downstairs kitchen because of the glare of light caused by all the reflective surfaces.

Thank you again for the info.

#16 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Menet an old flash costs $20.00 for a film camera and I'll leave it at that. I meant no disrespect. I just used my equipment as an example and not as a flaunt. I also know that equipment doesn't define you as a photographer. The person making the image does.

If you are going to use a cellphone and want to create a false positive, just use the flash. The flash will illuminate the contaminant in front of the lens and that is the key, using a flash. It can be done without an external light source but it becomes problematic to replicate.  A small factoid, other than contaminants from outdoors, pet hair and such, a little known fact is that humans shed 7 lbs. of skin annually.

I applaud you if you are conducting an experiment in the creation of false positives. The scientific community have conducted these exact tests under controlled conditions with lab grade equipment using controls and measurements presenting a hypothesis formed by repeatable results. That is the key here to provide an unbiased hypothesis. I performed a similar test with another photographer many years ago and satisfied my curiosity, obviously without the additional controls a proper experiment would require mind you. I need to offer a level of testing to satisfy my own doubts. I always look to others more qualified when I need answers.

A good read can be found here.

http://www.assap.ac....les/Photos.html

* At this point I feel it's best I step away from this thread.

Edited by EVP, 27 November 2017 - 06:41 AM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Haunted Places

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users