Like A Heat Mirage

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lamfada

Orb

• GS Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:19 AM

I lived for six years in a haunted house when I was working in Murray. Ky.

Place was a modest old house, dating I think from about 1920; it was near the down-town of a sleepy little Southern college town. It had been cut into two apartments, and I got the southern side.  I lived there in the mid 1990s

I had a fairly large living room with a hearth and a door that opened out to the west onto a porch. It was my  habit to get up early, make coffee and drink it, sitting on the couch in the living room, then have a bite of breakfast and get to work

Many and many’s the morning, I was joined by a ghost

Quite often, usually about sun-up the ghost of a woman would come in the front door, walk a few feet to the hearth and vanish.

What I saw is difficult to describe; it was no more than an outline, and incomplete at that.  It was a shimmering of the air, like that heat-mirage you can see far ahead of you on the highway on a very hot day, yet it had a distinct form, and it repeated consistently

Mostly what I saw was the lower half of her body--legs walking in a tight skirt that went about half-way to the calf; sometimes shoes were visible--medium heels; sometimes there were arms and hands swinging at the side as she walked, but her upper body was no more than the merest of an outline.  There was never any sound, and she never appeared anywhere but that short walk from the front door to the hearth.

She never frightened me. First time I saw her I just said to myself, “Interesting!  I have a ghost!” I saw her perhaps a dozen times or more--always the same time, always the same thing--walk-in, go to the hearth and vanish.  Once I even walked through her as I was going out the door--felt nothing odd, but amazement.

That was before I started ghost hunting as an avocation, so I never investigated the past of the house or anything.  My impression was that she was (or had been) a nurse, coming in tired from a long night shift.  I think it was not what is called an intelligent haunting, just the repeating image of something from the past.

#2 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hello Lamfada and welcome!  I hope you don't mind, but I changed the size and color of your text so that people can read it...  It was rather small.

That's an interesting description of the ghost...  Is that the only ghost you saw in this house?  And I was also wondering, did you move into this house because it was haunted, or did you just happen upon it?
My Signature

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#3 Lamfada

Orb

• GS Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 04 June 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

Hello Lamfada and welcome!  I hope you don't mind, but I changed the size and color of your text so that people can read it...  It was rather small.

That's an interesting description of the ghost...  Is that the only ghost you saw in this house?  And I was also wondering, did you move into this house because it was haunted, or did you just happen upon it?

Actually, I appreciate the help with the font.  I'm new here and don't quite get the tech side of things.  Thanks.

I just rented the place because it was near my work--had no idea it was haunted.  I never saw anything else there

There was one rather odd experience there, but I can't personally vouch for it

A couple of my friends from out of town came to visit and wanted to spend the night.  We sat around talking til fairly late.  I had a big pillow candle burning on a shelf, as the only light.  My friends were going to sleep in the living room, and I got tired and went to bed in the bedroom telling them to blow out the candle when they turned in

Next morning I got up and found them both asleep--and the candle burning.  They both swore up and down that they had blown it out.  They had had quite a bit of wine, and It seemed possible that they just forgot. There was no real danger from the candle, but there it was, still burning in the morning light.

#4 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

That's peculiar...  I'm sure they just forgot, but I'm hoping they did burn it out :)

How long did you end up renting that house for?  Do you know who rented it after you moved out by chance?  If so, did you hear of any experiences after you moved out?
My Signature

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#5 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:16 AM

You have a great attitude for seeing spirits  :)  Thanks for sharing your experiences, it sounded like a residual haunting.

LOL, maybe your friend's alcoholic breath feed the candle instead of extinguishing it :)
My Signature
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#6 Lamfada

Orb

• GS Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 05 June 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

You have a great attitude for seeing spirits  :)  Thanks for sharing your experiences, it sounded like a residual haunting.

LOL, maybe your friend's alcoholic breath feed the candle instead of extinguishing it :)

Revenant?  I feel pretty sure it was--which is why I felt nothing walking through it.  I speculate it was a woman who had been up on her feet for a long day and was particularly aware of her legs when she came home to warm the ache at the hearth.

I lived there six years.  When I moved it was to another state, so I don't know anything about the next tenants

I tend to take ghosts for granted, I guess,  Much of my ancestors were Celts and I grew up on the ghost stories of a great aunt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com