• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 the_gray_jester

the_gray_jester

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Parapsychology, Metal music, Photography, Writing, reading, and investigating.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hey all,

so, this has the potential to either be a great learning experiance,  or die in a few posts.  but i've noticed something.  we have alot of people who know alot about many things. and i thought what a cool way to pass on information. i know we have builders, writers, photographers, musiceans, visual artists, digital media, toymakers, and whatnot.  

The bassis is,  if you have a hobby, a sport, or even a proffesional job, that you excel at, and you can pass on a little knowledge to the rest of us,  we will all be a little wiser. and as you can all tell by my constant childish spelling and or grammar errors,  i need alot of wisdom :P.

the best way to figure out something to say is if you get asked alot of questions.  say, if you are a baseball player and people are always asking you how to hold the bat.  well,  seems like a juicy little tidbit for this thread.

now unfortunatly,  i havent got much to teach.  i could go off on some tangent about the different typs of metal music or the proper way to fell a tree exactly where you want it to go. but instead, i have a different topic,  more like a statement.

The Beatles song "revolution" was the actual and litteral birth of metal music.  that makes john lennon, the hippy, marylin mansons musical father.  interesting, is it not?

now,  teach me.  :yahoo:
Posted Image

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,050 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

If a modem, cable/satellite box, router, computer or other electronic device is having issues, BEFORE you call anyone 1. check all connections, and 2. unplug the power cord for 30 seconds and plug it back in.  Fixes a multitude of problems
Posted Image

#3 Clarina1980

Clarina1980

Vortex

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,721 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

Great idea for a thread, unfortunately I can't think of anything to add....  how sad is that!!!

Maybe some more replies will make me think of something lol.
"True Love Is Like Ghosts, Which Everyone Talks About But Few Have Seen"

#4 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

I'm a 911 operator, and I firmly believe that "how to use 911" should be taught to every elementary school class.  Or, more specifically, "what to expect when you call 911."

Of course, not every emergency services agency handles calls exactly the same.  But here are a few basic things to keep in mind that should be helpful no matter where you are.

-- Know your home address, including the nearest cross streets.  (A neighboring town/city may have the same house number and street name.  Cross streets help dispatchers verify that they're sending units to the right place.)

-- If you're calling from a business, try to have as much location info on hand as possible.  Cross streets, business name, name of the shopping center/building/etc. "I'm at a 7-11 someplace..." isn't very helpful unless you're calling from their landline.  It's always better to be aware of your surroundings anyway.

-- We do have maps on our computers that help pinpoint a cell phone callers location, but it's not always exact.  Be ready to provide a precise location, if at all possible.

-- Don't freak out because the dispatcher seems to be asking a lot of questions.  This is an important one.  Most agencies strive to have units on the road within a minute of an emergency call being answered.  That means that the ambulance is on the way while the information is being gathered -- and that information is being relayed directly to mobile data terminals (MDTs) inside the ambulance.  The paramedics are receiving details on the patient's situation as they travel, so they have a better idea what to expect.  Service is NOT being delayed by the time it takes to answer questions on the phone.

-- It's important to provide detailed information on what the emergency situation is.  We have to know whether we're responding for a stubbed toe or a heart attack (and we will respond either way, although a minor injury will probably not be a lights-and-sirens response).  We need to know whether there's a risk to the safety of responders, which is especially a concern if it's a police matter.  We are coming, but there's an important reason that we ask why we're coming.

-- Plan ahead and consider having a hidden key on the premises, or having a dependable neighbor to call, if you have concerns about being able to get to the door in the event of a medical concern.  This is especially helpful for older people.  The key location should be good enough not to be obvious to burglars but memorable enough to you so that you can tell the dispatcher where it is.

-- Stay as calm as possible.  I know this is often easier said than done.  But if someone is having a seizure, for example, screaming like a banshee into the phone is not going to help anybody--especially the patient.

-- Lastly, please try not to abuse the dispatcher on the phone.  We really do care and we really are there to help.  Any questions we ask are purely for the benefit of the patient or person in trouble.  We understand that you're scared, angry, in pain, or often all of the above.  But just take a moment, while in a calm situation, to think about how you'd want to be treated if you were the one who was trying to help.

It's late and I need to get up early.  So if I think of any more 911 pointers, I'll add them later.  I hope this was helpful and informative.  :-)

#5 Creature man

Creature man

The Everchanging User

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Please, Do I need to answer that??

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:09 PM

Err, you can import alot of iTunes songs free cause their files, so my friend likes avenged sevenfold as do I very much. So I hit up skype or something and send him files in bits ans peices so my laptop isnt slow. Idk how giving a "gift" is illegal
I like the part where it went "WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP"

Skullcandy is awesome, I got new headphones(finally!!)!

#6 CeeOhDee

CeeOhDee

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

After a number of years as a dishwasher,  my advice, mainly based on hearing about other people's mistakes, is as follows:

Don't use steel wool on non stick surfaces/pans.

Don't fill a sink with pure hot water if you're going to be sticking your hands in it within about an hour.  Restaurant water heaters tend to heat water to high degrees.

And lastly,  if you turn on the garbage disposal and it makes a loud odd noise, for the love of god, turn it off unless you want to be known as the person who whittled an entire plate down to nothing.

Oh,  and invest in non slip shoes if you work in a kitchen.

Edited by CeeOhDee, 03 July 2011 - 09:30 PM.

I am the C.O.D formerly known as Child of Darkness.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

And the sign says "Everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray"
But then they passed around a plate at the end of it all
And I didn't have a penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you Lord for thinking 'bout me, I'm alive and doing fine"  - Tesla

#7 Guest_SilentWalkerGStudy_*

Guest_SilentWalkerGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

Never ever, no matter how much you are tempted, eat yellow snow :)

#8 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

A  friend of mine is having trouble with debt collectors. I have done some research about it online.

Did you know that if you answer the phone AND speak with someone, they cannot call you again that day.
They can call you between the hours of 8am and 9pm though.

And most importantly.... And this is the kicker...
If you speak with someone, and do not wish to be called any further, this is what you do...
Tell the person on the other end of the phone, that you are recording the call. (You have to inform them that you are recording them just
like they inform you that they are recording you.) Tell them the reason you have not been able to pay the debt, and inform them IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS
that you DO NOT WISH to be contacted on the telephone any further, and they cannot call you again.

Now the laws very from state to state and province to province, but there is on constant that I have found. If you inform them you do not wish to
be contacted, inform them that you are recording the conversation, they cannot call you again, because it would be considered harassment.

It worked for my friend...

#9 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

Helena, is your friend in the U.S. or Canada?  (Not sure if the policies/laws would vary between the two, but it wouldn't surprise me...)

#10 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

About the only thing I'm good for is editing your post. But people hate to have their grammar corrected.

#11 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:27 AM

LOL, I am sure you can learn something new every day if you put your mind to it :yes:

I learnt I could fix my lawnmower, at least for a short time, and my whipper snipper (still going strong) all from youtube :confused:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#12 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:34 PM

when learning or working in a new art form, don't go with the cheapest materials  and tools right off.
sure you are learning, and there are going to be mistake and wasted material BUT, you will run into fewer difficulties picking up techniques if you aren't struggling against the quality (or the lack thereof) of your materials and tools.  They don't have to be the most expensive, but make sure the quality is better than "cheapest possible".

also if you end up getting serious about your new hobby/ art form, you won't be replacing tools/materials you've become dissapointed in, or found unworkable because you went with the cheapest quality/ expense to get started.  

Also don't go crazy stockpiling materials, or loading up a whole range of tools, get tools a few at a time as you find what you actually need for each project, and as you build skills.

also with several skills (particularly things like knitting and crochet) there are kits with small introductory projects aimed at kids, with the expectation of  having a completed project in an afternoon or two...and that's an OK and even a good way to pick up basic skills. (tools and materials are usually mid range, and often just what you'll need to finish the project for the kit, plus a bit "in case of difficulties" )

Also I have learned SO MUCH via YouTube videos.  new fancy stitches,etc.

also crochet and knitting involve more math than I was initially aware of, and have really helped with math skills when scaling patterns up and down for size.

Edited by trin, 18 August 2018 - 08:35 PM.