7 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost001

Ghost001

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Activities, Photography and Computers

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

This is about the home I rented in Lockport, Il. in the early 80’s. The older woman that owned it had just died in the home and her grandson got the house after she died. Being a typical kid, he wanted to rent the house out ASAP so he’d have money to waste.

Timing is everything because I lived 2 houses down the street and had to move because the landlady had got a divorce and her husband got the house I was renting. So the grandson asked me if I wanted to rent the house, and I sure did. It was way bigger then what I had now and way cheaper rent too…..was a win, win deal!

I moved in less then 24hours after she had died, and that did freak me out a bit. Because I was always into the paranormal and I new this might not be a good thing. What was even worse is that the grandson left everything in the house…….and I mean everything, even her black cat. Now I was living in this poor deceased grandmother’s home with all of her stuff still here. Now that REALLY freaked me out. It was a two bedroom house and the grandmother’s room was the biggest and had the best view, however I couldn’t even think about being in there right after she died. Plus I still had to move all her clothes & furniture out into the garage.

So here go’s…..The first night!

I decided to sleep on the couch in the living room. I turned on the TV and lay down and started to watch. Within minutes I started to hear noises from the end of the hallway, which was of course her bedroom. I just ignored them, and then there was a loud pounding from the bedroom door. Being a very logical person and not scared easy, I just assumed it was her cat. Be it a very loud cat. Then the pounding started again, but much louder. I got up this time and looked down the hallway and there was still pounding…..but no one was there. Then I looked to my right in the kitchen and there on the floor was her cat sleeping. Ok, now I must admit I got a bit scared, but I just went back to the living room and laid down again. It was quiet for about 30mins, and I thought it might be over………Wrong, very loud pounding started again and this time I could see the cat and I could tell it was coming from inside her bedroom. So, being the smartass that I am. I yelled “Would you please be quiet, this is my house now” Then in just a few minutes the banging started again and it was un-believably loud; I looked down and saw the cat again. I got up and yelled “Ok, I’m leaving” I got my coat and walked out the door. I went to a friend’s house for the night. We went back the next bright sunny day, and checked out the whole house even grandma’s bedroom. We could not find anything at all that could have made those noises. I stayed in the house again the next night, and again there was noise from her bedroom. However it wasn’t loud pounding, just sounded like things where moving around. Which is still strange since I was the only one in the house now, her grandson had come over and took her cat. As days went by the noises from the end of the end of hallway started to die down, after a few weeks there was almost nothing, However I was still sleeping on the couch a month after I moved in, for that fact I never even opened her door.

Other things started to happen thou, not really bad things. Stuff would move around in the kitchen, I don’t mean as you watch. You would leave something on the right side of the counted and later it was on the left, or even the other counter. The kitchen seemed to have her presents all the time. Also let me backup a bit, I’m a single guy with very little kitchen stuff. Like most single guys, we aren’t in to kitchens to much. So with that said I kept and used all of her kitchen stuff, even her cook books. However I stored things in different cabinets and drawers, which I don’t think she liked. Because it used to all move back at night, it was almost like a game. I also had times where I was looking for something in the kitchen and couldn’t find it, I would end up getting mad off and leave the kitchen. When I would come back in there later it would be sitting on the counter. So for the kitchen stuff it was really kind of cool and never really bothered me, it was like a kitchen helper

Now after a few months I got the nerve to go in her room and pack up her stuff and move it into the garage. I called a friend of mine Mark over to help move everything, because the garage was way in the backyard so it was kind of hard to do without help. Now my friend didn’t believe in the paranormal at all, he just thought I was nuts. But that all changed that day. Mark had gone in the house to use the bathroom, while I was stacking box's in the garage. I walked in the house after about 15minutes, with him still not coming back out. I went in the kitchen to get a soda, and I could hear talking down the hall from the bathroom. So I walked down there, and as soon as I got to the bathroom door I saw it unlock. Mark flew out and started to yell at me, what the heck was that about. I had no idea what he was taking about, so he told me. He said he had gone into the bathroom and right after he went in the door had locked, so he yelled through the door to what he thought was me. Then an old ladies voice started to talk to him through the door, he was sure it was me playing a joke on him. He said it kept telling him he can’t come out, and he was bad and must stay in the bathroom now. Then the door unlocked so he jumped out and I was standing there. When I told him I just walked in and I had been working in the garage the whole time he just turned white and said “later, I’m out of here”  He didn’t come back over for quite a while, and the house got a nickname. He had told all of our friends about it and the house was now called “The Dead Grandma House” I still call it that to this day. On a side note, I still have all of her kitchen stuff and I still use her cook books and her antique toaster.
Ok, now everything is out of her bedroom and I set my bedroom up. The first night in there I was so scared, I went to and pulled the covers over my head and never once looked out from under all night…Not once, in my mind I could see her standing there.
I used to hear things move about at night now and then and also the covers would get pulled back sometimes too. However after a while I got used to it but I did sleep with the covers over my head the whole time I lived there!

There where more little things that where more fun then scary. I would have friends over and the TV would turn on or off or even change channels. Lights would turn on and off, and you could here weird noises now and then too. The bathroom door use to lock all the time too. All and all it was pretty cool living there, she was very nice and never tried to scare me. Except for there first night, and I think that was more about her being mad that she had passed and she wasn’t ready.

I lived in this home for three years, and I must admit I miss it a bit......

Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does  not mean that something does not exist.

#2 Lady Sorbus

Lady Sorbus

Offical GS Headshrinker

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, history, paranormal, symbology, theatre, cinema, Knights Templar, classic cartoons (none of the rubbish out there now), shamanism and witchcraft

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

Sorry but that grandson sounds disrespectful and not someone I'd want to know.

So why'd you move out if you miss it?

#3 Ghost001

Ghost001

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Lady Sorbus @ Jan 6 2008, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry but that grandson sounds disrespectful and not someone I'd want to know.

So why'd you move out if you miss it?

Yes, I totally agree her grandson was a total looser and very disrespectful.  Less then 24hours after his grandmother dies, he rents out the house and leaves town.

I had to move out because his father took over the house for him and sold it to a friend of his.  I didn't really have a options?

Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does  not mean that something does not exist.

#4 Draco Rattus

Draco Rattus

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:anime, computer games, dragons, drawing, final fantasy, manga, roleplaying, wargaming, wrestling, writing

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Sounds cool!  It reminds me a bit of where I am now, I'm living in a flat where the landlord's mother used to live and I think she's still here in spirit.  Out of interest, did it feel like she was a welcome presence, like she didn't mind you being there too much, but she wanted you to do things differently?
"Without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock, ticking." - Mary O' Brien, 'Equilibrium'

http://dracorattus.deviantart.com/

#5 Ghost001

Ghost001

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(Draco Rattus @ Jan 6 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Out of interest, did it feel like she was a welcome presence, like she didn't mind you being there too much, but she wanted you to do things differently?

After the first night, she was a very welcome presence.  I really think she liked me there, after all I was the one packing up all here stuff and taking care of it for her.
I really think she wasn't trying to sacre me the first night either, I just think she was mad that she had died.

It used to freak me out a bit now and then though, like when I had a date over.....I felt like I was being watched. smile.gif

#6 Draco Rattus

Draco Rattus

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:anime, computer games, dragons, drawing, final fantasy, manga, roleplaying, wargaming, wrestling, writing

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

I know what you mean, I feel the same where I am now.  If she was an older lady, too, I think perhaps she liked having someone around, almost like having another grandchild around for her maybe.  =^^=  I wonder if that's a common feeling when people move into rented houses where the previous owner was an older person who died?
"Without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock, ticking." - Mary O' Brien, 'Equilibrium'

http://dracorattus.deviantart.com/

#7 KISSfan

KISSfan

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:52 PM

Very cool story,Ghost001! Must have been pretty eerie for you at first,especially with her things left behind,though I agree that ya get used to it after a while.
I lived in a similar home where the past owner (both of them,actually)passed away in the house before I moved in.
I think I've told the story here before,but there was a rather disturbing black mark left on the hardwood floor,where the old guy's body lay for two weeks before being discovered. This spot was outside my bedroom door,and I remember laying there at night trying not to think about it. There was a sense of being watched in the house the odd time,but the worst was when upon waking one morning,I saw a figure of a small man in army fatigues jump from the wall beside me into my bedroom mirror. I'm still not sure whether or not I really saw it or dreamt it,but I've never forgotten,that's for sure!
~She Walks By Moonlight...~

http://forgottenontario.webs.com/

#8 Ghost001

Ghost001

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(KISSfan @ Jan 15 2008, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very cool story,Ghost001! Must have been pretty eerie for you at first,especially with her things left behind,though I agree that ya get used to it after a while.
I lived in a similar home where the past owner (both of them,actually)passed away in the house before I moved in.
I think I've told the story here before,but there was a rather disturbing black mark left on the hardwood floor,where the old guy's body lay for two weeks before being discovered. This spot was outside my bedroom door,and I remember laying there at night trying not to think about it. There was a sense of being watched in the house the odd time,but the worst was when upon waking one morning,I saw a figure of a small man in army fatigues jump from the wall beside me into my bedroom mirror. I'm still not sure whether or not I really saw it or dreamt it,but I've never forgotten,that's for sure!

Like I said, once I got used to it it was pretty cool.  Friends always wanted to come over and see if anything would happen while they where there.  There was always a sense of being watched though. I just wish I new as much about the paranormal then as I do now....Would have been great to do a investigating there.

The home you lived in sounded creepy, a black spot where the man had died.  Also a figure watching you in the morning...That would creep you out a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users