• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lord_tea

Lord_tea

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:To be honest I prefer coffee.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hello fellow ghosties, I've been away for the last two weeks on Holiday in Georgia (where my wife is from) and I return with a spooky house for you (hopefully one you've never heard of)

So during an evening of food and drink in a little cafe on a side-street in Tbilisi, a friend of mine mentioned that there was a haunted house just up the road from us, being a paranormal souper I was at once more excited about seeing this place than the evening of fun we had planned ahead. As soon as we'd finished up I was eager to go check this building out, and urged my companions to show me the place, and luckily one of them knew all the details and was happy to give me the following information. I'd like to note that on hearing we were going to check out the house, one of my friends said that she would not go anywhere near the place, and preferred to stay on her own with the car. This building is well known to the folk of Tbilisi.

House of the Devil

So the house can be found at number 6 Ingorokva Street, and legend has it that it was built by an Armenian merchant in the 19th century, a merchant who also happened to be a devil worshipper! The architecture really stands out in the street, and most of all the pretty disturbing bust of a rather angry figure above one of the windows.

Posted Image

The legend continues that there have been two suicides in the house, and after these tragic events the building now lay empty. One of the suicides was supposedly the Armenian merchant's wife, and from what I could gather, one of the two suicides was a hanging in the attic. The rumours go pretty wild from here, it is said that this merchant built a series of other building around the city, that when connected on a map draw a pentagram. It is also said that there are secret doors leading to an underground network of tunnels beneath the city that lead to a satanic chamber of sorts! Georgia is a deeply orthodox Christian country so devil worship is a very frightening concept to many Georgians.

I managed to translate a few Georgian pages about the property, one of them featured an article in which the author did some research in to the building's history to try and distinguish fact from the legends. It turns out the man responsible (at least partly) for the house was the celebrated architect and Polish born, Alexander Simkiewicz who served as the official architect of Tbilisi from 1885-1891 (or was at least based on his popular designs as many private properties were), and it also turns out that this house was commissioned by Armenian merchants. There was a suicide in the attic involving an Armenian girl and it is believed that the devil centered rumours began after this event. I tell you now, that attic would be a miserable place to die in as you will see from the picture below!

I personally looked upon the building in awe and wondered if it would be a cheap purchase (it unfortunately is quite the opposite) considering that it has been left abandoned for so long. What do you guys think about this place?

Posted Image

The attic window (stolen from google image search)

Posted Image

This is what Georgia used to look like, alongside their traditional architecture adorned with fantastic wooden balconies, that is before the Russians invaded and began a cultural cleansing of the city, or rather a mass murder of all the artists, poets, actors, aristocrats and more. If you believe those who die in tragic situations tend to linger around then Tbilisi will have more than its fair share of spooks to look out for. The city was left to rot under soviet occupation and there are many many derelict old 19th century buildings that are crying out for investigation.

I write this after 30 hours without sleep and two flights so please forgive any bizarre typos! For now I am off to bed.

Edited by Lord_tea, 04 October 2015 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image

"Genius might be the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way" - Charles Bukowski

#2 Oswin

Oswin

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:27 PM

It's a shame that it's sat vacant for so long -- the detailing in the architecture is beautiful. I can't speak for there being any spooks on the location, but that place could be really lovely with a little TLC. (Don't mind me -- I'm a sucker for historic buildings.)

I'd be curious to do more homework on the history of the place and see if you could verify the network of underground tunnels. It's interesting to think that there could be false doors in the home leading somewhere that could be verified on an old map or something. In addition to the curious history with the alleged suicides and Satanic links, the possibility of it connecting up to other properties is intriguing. It would certainly be a worth while place to do an investigation, for multiple reasons!

||   "Run, you clever boy, and remember..." ||

#3 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,717 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:42 PM

The angry figure above that window is so creepy! And yes, this would be a great place to investigate!
What's that sign on the second photo? And why does it have strange writing?
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#4 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:51 PM

I get an absolutely chilling vibe when I look at your photo.  It's a great gift you brought back for us to see - Thank you:)

#5 ShawnGStudy

ShawnGStudy

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, Horror Movies, Music, Traveling, Meeting New People, Sports, Friends, Chatting, Video Games, Concerts, Food, TV, New Experiences, Having A Good Time, Laughing, Making Others Laugh, Helping Others.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

There aren't to many places that make me just want to see them in person but this house and this town is on my list of places I want to go to and see. I may have to do some research on this town myself.
Your Leading Gettysburg Paranormal Authority
Twitter: @WinFBLeague

#6 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:54 PM

Thank you for sharing, Lord_tea!  This is absolutely chilling, for sure!

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#7 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:37 AM

Wow Lord_tea thanks for uploading, it does look like a miserable place and to think 2 suicides :(

I hope you get some well needed sleep  :)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#8 Lord_tea

Lord_tea

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:29 AM

Oswin I'm also a sucker for old buildings and architecture (both in abundance in Tbilisi), I can't help but think I'd both love and hate that house if it came into my possession.

Jim that strange writing is Georgian script, a written language unique to Georgia. It is a sign advertising a tailor, which I assume is down that alleyway.

Shawn I highly recommend it, the place is loaded with secret back streets, abandoned buildings and old history. There are a load of Georgian paranormal groups on Facebook, but I can't paste the words in Georgian to find them (if you are interested we can figure it out) and perhaps some folk there would be willing to help out (you will need google translate extension on your browser) I bet there is an untapped treasure trove of places to investigate in Tbilisi, just need to avoid some of the older generation who might have a serious beef with investigating the occult!

Thanks everyone, hopefully I can bring some more interesting and lesser known stuff to the table again in the future.

Edited by Lord_tea, 05 October 2015 - 04:31 AM.

Posted Image

"Genius might be the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way" - Charles Bukowski

#9 vave82

vave82

The Fairy with an Attitude

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

I totally love learning about new haunted places - thank you for posting this! That house is as beautiful as is dark. Quite chilling, if you ask me! Is there a possibility to visit it at all? Would be fantastic if you could go in for a look next time you are over there!!

#10 Lord_tea

Lord_tea

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:27 AM

View Postvave82GStudy, on 05 October 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

I totally love learning about new haunted places - thank you for posting this! That house is as beautiful as is dark. Quite chilling, if you ask me! Is there a possibility to visit it at all? Would be fantastic if you could go in for a look next time you are over there!!

I'll have to see if it's possible next time. I've also learned that the locals believe it is bad luck to look at the house, and that a barber shop opened in the basement in recent years but very quickly shut up shop and moved on.

Posted Image

#11 Livlyf79

Livlyf79

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

Hello.. Thank you so much for the information.. I'm actually in Tbilisi now.. I wanted to know if there is a way to contact the current owner and have a look inside? : )

#12 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:45 AM

I am sorry I don't believe GS has contact details.

But hello and welcome to the boards :)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#13 Livlyf79

Livlyf79

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 18 June 2017 - 04:45 AM, said:

I am sorry I don't believe GS has contact details.

But hello and welcome to the boards :)
oh..ok..thank you :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tbilisi, haunted, architect

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users