• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Louczar

Louczar

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:14 AM

I was mailed a jury summons for yesterday.  Knowing I did not have the time (from work) to be on a jury, I decided to cut my hair back to a Mohawk in an attempt to not be selected.  Turns out all it did was to get court ladies to flirt with me <rolleyes>.  I was juror #36 and on the hot seat to be selected.  After all the questions from the assistant DA (which I answered honestly), I did not have anything that gave the DA or defense atty to not select me.

When we got to the questions from the defense atty, she asked some good ones about her client not taking the stand.  I saw my opening and took it!  I raised my hand and said "The burden of proof is on the DA!  Your client should not be expected to take the stand if the DA cannot put 100% burden of proof on her".  The defense atty was all smiles at me.  I looked at the DA as he was crossing out my name from the list of candidates...:-)
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#2 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

I've never been called for jury duty.   My husband has been called like five times since we've been married.   And saying so doesn't seem to jinx me.

But couldn't you just say that serving would cause undue hardship?   Because that's a valid excuse here.

Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#3 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostTantric KittenGStudy, on 14 February 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

.But couldn't you just say that serving would cause undue hardship?   Because that's a valid excuse here.

Not here in MA, They'll only allow you to change courthouses. They'll supply interpreters, if English isn't your first language or sign ones if you're deaf.. They don't take excuses here. I've been summoned for duty, but have never had to serve, I must have a "your butt is grass look", when they select the jury. They wouldn't want me on a jury though. I'm very vocal on what I think about criminals. You drive drunk or kill someone on purpose, I'll tell them lock them up and throw away the keys.

P.S. Here's the rules in MA:

The ten reasons for disqualification are:
  • You are not a citizen of the United States.
  • You are not a Massachusetts resident or inhabitant (person who lives in Massachusetts more than 50% of the year, such as a college student).
  • You are under eighteen years of age.
  • You are over seventy years of age, and you choose not to serve. (This is the only disqualification that is discretionary with the juror. PLEASE NOTE that if you choose to be disqualified after turning 70, you will be permanently removed from the jury list.)
  • You are not able to speak and understand the English language.
  • You are incapable, by reason of physical or mental disability, of performing jury service. You must provide a doctor’s letter stating the doctor’s opinion that you cannot serve.
  • You are solely responsible for the care of a permanently disabled person living in the same household, and your jury service would cause substantial risk of injury to that person. You must provide a doctor’s letter stating the doctor’s opinion that you cannot serve for this reason. PLEASE NOTE that if you work outside the home, you are not eligible for this disqualification.
  • You are currently living outside the judicial district to which you were summoned, and do not intend to return to that district at any time in the next twelve months.
  • You have been convicted of a felony in the last seven years, or you are currently charged with a felony, or you are currently in custody at a correctional institution.
  • You have served as a grand or trial juror in state or federal court in the last three years, or you are currently scheduled to serve.
I meet one or more of the statutory reasons for disqualification. How do I ask to be disqualified?
You will be required to provide some information about your disqualification in writing, which you can do online at http://juryduty.MAjury.gov or by completing the Juror Confirmation Form that is attached to your summons. If you are requesting a medical or caregiver disqualification, you will have to provide a doctor’s certification.
I’m self-employed. Am I disqualified from jury service?
No. Many self-employed people serve on juries every day. If jury service would be an unusual hardship for you, you will have an opportunity to explain your situation to a judge prior to being impaneled. Only a judge has the authority to excuse you from service.
I'm a student. Am I disqualified from jury service?
No. All students over the age of 18 are eligible to serve, even out-of-state residents, if they live in Massachusetts for 50% of the year or more.
I work in law enforcement. Am I required to serve?
Yes. Many people who work in law enforcement serve on juries. Depending on the circumstances, your occupation may be grounds to be excused by a judge, but there are no occupational disqualifications (see the ten statutory disqualifications listed above). You should report for service and explain your situation to the judge, if and when you are sent to a courtroom.
Confidential Juror Questionnaire
I am not a citizen, yet I have been summoned many times. Why doesn’t the OJC permanently disqualify me?
The OJC does not have access to records documenting your citizenship status. Further, many people who are disqualified for non-citizenship go on to become citizens at a later time. They are then eligible for jury service, which is one of the most important privileges and responsibilities of citizenship. If you remain a non-citizen, you will likely continue to receive summonses, but all you need to do is document your non-citizenship online or on your Juror Confirmation Form each time you are summoned in order to be disqualified.
OJC Regulation 9.  (This is not to be confused with people for whom it would be a hardship to serve as a juror on a trial. Regulation 9 only applies to people for whom it would be an extreme hardship to appear at the courthouse at all.) Common difficulties such as inconvenience, lack of childcare or business obligations do not qualify for consideration under Regulation 9. Rather, the Regulation applies to cases such as people living in religious orders that restrict outside travel, or those who can document rare medical conditions that prevent them from leaving their homes at any time.
If you believe you qualify for an extreme hardship disqualification under Regulation 9, you must document your circumstances in a writing signed by you and submit it to:

Operations Manager
Office of Jury Commissioner
560 Harrison Avenue, Suite 600
Boston, Massachusetts 02118-2447

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Ahque Wunantash Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget 9/11/2001)

Posted Image

My Shop

#4 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,053 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

I've served twice, but get called every year. I always get out of it because my employers don't pay for jury duty
Posted Image

#5 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Weird. they'd make you go here. That's not a disqualifying reason in MA. After three days of service, they'll pay you $50 a day, starting the fourth day and onward.

Ahque Wunantash Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget 9/11/2001)

Posted Image

My Shop

#6 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

It says in the list you quoted that a judge can dismiss you if it would cause undue hardship.   It's not an automatic here either but if you have a good reason they're not unreasonable.   My husband was seated once but had a big project at work that his input was critical on and was wxcused.

Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#7 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

True, but the judges in MA tend to be hard-nosed. They may excuse you, if someone in your immediate family is mortally ill or dying/died. I don't have a car and can't afford a taxi, but they won't let you use that as an excuse, I have to find a way to get to the court house or be held in contempt.

The only people who could give me a ride, are my Brother and Sister, but they live an hour away. So, they have to drive north for an hour to pick me up, then drive back south for an hour, to get me to the courthouse. After jury duty, they have to pick me up and drive me back home, which is an hour drive, and then drive home again, another hour drive.

I could maybe get a ride from the Senior center van, but those are usually booked up for months. Mostly medical runs. The last time I had jury duty, they were able to get me there, only because one of the medical runs, were going in that direction. After duty, i had to wait 3 hours, before they could pick me back up.

Posted Image

My Shop

#8 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,053 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

Here in Cali, they only pay 5$ a day. So unless your employer pay you for jury duty,most people can't afford to take off from work. Last year I just submitted a letter from work verifying that, and I was excused
Posted Image

#9 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:03 AM

I got out of jury duty every time because I dated the prosecuting attorney!  I just told the judge I knew him.  So the judge asks how well...I said very well.  He said could you elaborate on that???  I was like WTH....we dated.  So finally he stands up for me and says...your Honor, we know each other very well.  By then the entire room was snickering.  I had to do the walk of shame out the door .....but he was so dang hot and handsome I was kinda proud and knew some of the women were jealous!  :th_evil: I would have worn a tee-shirt that said I slept with ______________ proudly!!!
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#10 earthlydelites

earthlydelites

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:51 PM

I've been called a few times last year but once I was going away and the second time i was disqualified due to work!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#11 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

Hah that's funny.  I got a jury duty notice in the mail the other day for April 10.  Never did it before, so this should be interesting...

Posted Image

"Somehow through it all...  We carry on...

Raise you up when you fall...  We carry on...

Bury the past...  Wounds remain...  Through it all...  A desire to live again"

#12 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

View PostAmethyst, on 16 February 2017 - 07:03 AM, said:

I would have worn a tee-shirt that said I slept with ______________ proudly!!!

:lol:

Posted Image

My Shop

#13 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:43 AM

I was called and served on Jury over here in the UK about 10 years ago. I got paid a set fee for each day which includes food.

Not a nice trial as it was a kiddie fiddler.

#14 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:07 PM

If it had been me up for jury duty, on that type of trial, I would've told the judge, when he asks, "Do you have any problems, with serving on this trail?" I'd have told the judge, "String the" B" up by his, you know what and beat him to an inch of his life.

Posted Image

My Shop

#15 earthlydelites

earthlydelites

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

I agree MacCG, it would be hard to be unbiased in one of those cases.
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#16 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

:yes:

Posted Image

My Shop

#17 Capt-Zeanie

Capt-Zeanie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Computer Programming, IT, Web Technologies, Space and Astronomy

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

The guy was a Boy Scout Leader and parents had left their children in his care.. Scumbag

#18 MacCGStudy

MacCGStudy

Disembodied Voice

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

In my opinion, anyone who sexually or physically abuses a child, deserve a "necktie party".

Posted Image

My Shop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users