#1 chapsparanormal

chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

I know if I search there is a thread on this.

Shows, are you partial to one of them? Any you despise>? Why do they succeed or fail. Maybe we can come up with a good list. Honestly there were so many of them.
Strictly paranormal in general in the 50's One Step Beyond and of course In Search of.

MTV Fear seemed to get the ball rolling. I thought Most Haunted went before that but Fear was 2 years older. Etc

I'm partial to GH as I am part of their family of teams. Have spent some good time with the guys on the show gladly on off periods so saw a different side. Have had convo with many others. Some are exactly what you get on the show. Some very different.

But shows, name your 3 faves and 3 least

Ghost Hunters is one of my 3
I have grown quite fond of Lockdown, the sequestering they do reminds of why I liked GAC in the beginning.. don't care too much for Zak so I don't like watching GAC too much but it is one of the most entertaining.
hmmm I will have to think of 3. Maybe Ghost Brothers...... not for evidence but a rather entertaining show. The investigations are kind of sad. But I laugh a lot.

Not Ghost related. Fact or Faked. Ben Hanson is one of the most level headed men I have conversed with. Loved the show, a different hook. A lot of it I disagreed with
Have to like anything as well Gates has done, just simply for his cred and the locations. I want his budget.

Ghost Mine to me was biggest tripe going.
Ghost Cops LOL, loved the cigar chawing going on
Ghosts in the Hood. ( I think that is what it was called. ) garbage, made us look dumb
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#2 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

Ghost Adventures.  Because it's absolutely ridiculous.  I mean so stupid I don't even yell at it because seriously.  Then that one that was on Animal Planet... The Haunted?  I like Father Bailey's vibe.  And early Most Haunted.  Because more ridiculousness AND I like Stuart's vibe.

Bottom three A Haunting.  Don't care for reenactments.  Then that one with Amy whatshername and Steve diSchavo.  I like him but she gets on my nerves always whining and crying and flinging herself around all dramatic.  And what was it Ghost Asylum where two people sat alone somewhere overnight.  I thought they had no business doing that with mental illness issues, the extreme fear, etc.
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#3 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

Ghost Hunters classic was the BEST :yes: Simple straight forward, a  small group does an investigation using some basic equipment. They presented everything in a nice format, told you what was up and why they were doing the investigation, you saw how they were setting things up, followed them on their investigations and then got to see the "evidence" and the client talk at the end was a nice wrap up ... really doesn't get any better than that :no:

I also liked Most Haunted ... I'm half British and it was just a fun show ... yeah I know it was Lame  but I liked it :yes:

Kindred Spirits of course ... back to basics, I like the two main characters and it's just a good overall show :yes:

I know that is three BUT Ghost MIne was great 'cuz um well the red head was HOT and obviously an aspiring actress and not a ghost hunter and um ... what was the show about? Oh and honorable mention for that Ghost Collector show where all hauntings can be fixed by finding the haunted object and putting it in his private collection ... should be a video game too :yes:

Absolutely hated Ghost Hunters Academy  :wallbash:

Not a fan of Ghost Adventures :no:

I forget the name but there was one that had ex cops doing the investigation ... just hated it.

In any event I think successful shows have a good balance of investigations and likeable characters to follow and narrate what is going on. I think it's a tough balance to get just right since the audience wants to feel like they are taking part in the investigation and they want to follow along with people that they like.

Edited by siguie, 28 February 2017 - 05:00 PM.

- siguie -

#4 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

I believe there is another thread, close to this topic.

Love:
Ghost Hunters(GH) aka T.A.P.S.: I've met Jay and Grant, they are the nicest people you could meet. The members are really smart about debunking, unlike other shows.

Ghost Hunters International(GHI): Loved the members, the investigations, investigating techniques and the locations are amazing.

Most Haunted(MH): Just for the laughs. They go to a haunted location, where it's known for attacks on the public & investigators, alike. They then freak, when it actually happens to them. :lol:

In Search Of: I loved and miss my home boy., Leonard Nimoy. His show was insightful and very well made.

Alcoa Presents: One Step Beyond: It only ran for three seasons, but it was a great show. I saw it in syndication, because I wasn't born when it debuted. It was a series of scripted docudramas, about the supernatural and had an all-star cast. You can find it on Youtube.

Non-Paranormal:
Fact or Faked: I loved the debunking, but the thing I loved more was, when they couldn't debunk a video.
Destination Truth: I loved this show and I was so disappointed when SyFy canceled it. Also, I love my home boy Josh. How he traveled all over the world, trying to find out if the cryptids, that people were sighting, were real.
Expedition Unknown: Again, home boy Josh is out in the world, trying to find the truth to the legends. He is smart, funny and committed to the search.

Dislike:
Ghost Adventures(GA): Zach is too much a drama queen and spoils the show.

I can't think of any more, off the top of my head.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#5 capn b

capn b

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

Ghost hunters will always be my #1 paranormal show.

Ghost Adventures, I just watch it because I love the paranormal. Not a fan of Zak Bagans at all.

Paranormal Lockdown & Kindred Spirits are two that I do like.  See a lot of Jason and Grant in Amy and Adam. And I love the fact Nick Groff has ticked off Bagans by starting his own show

Ghost Brothers. I watched one episode and was turned off. If I wanted to watch a comedy show then I would find one on netflix. I think they are an embarrassment to the field.    

Fact or Faked was pretty good when it was on. When they would do an investigation at a haunted location they would always get some pretty good evidence.
Just because you cant see it, doesn't mean it's not there

#6 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

Most Haunted really has me sucked in at the moment, I love how they carry around, and one of the guys (Eamon?) always seems to be targeted!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#7 eeek8

eeek8

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

1. Ghost Adventures.  Zak is a tool, but I enjoyed the first couple of seasons when the three guys would do the traditional "lockdown" with static night cams and EVP work.

2. Paranormal Lockdown.  The latest episode had me so excited; they actually set up the static night cams and it reminded me a bit of the old GA episodes.  I like Nick and Katrina; they seem much more level headed and there's not much drama.  Not sure about some of their equipment though.

3.  My Ghost Story: Caught on Camera.  Lots of clearly dismissible "evidence" on this one (orbs that are actually dust/water droplets, smoke, etc.), but sometimes there are photographs or videos that I can't explain.  Fun to watch and I wish there were still new episodes.

#8 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

Bonus points to eeek for calling Zak a tool! Ghostbusters still my favorite. Then Kindred Spirits and Paranormal Lockdown. Eeek's #3 choice always had me yelling at the TV.Maddening! ;)  Ghost Asylum is pretty bad too

I miss Destination Truth
Posted Image

#9 eeek8

eeek8

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 01 March 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

Bonus points to eeek for calling Zak a tool! Ghostbusters still my favorite. Then Kindred Spirits and Paranormal Lockdown. Eeek's #3 choice always had me yelling at the TV.Maddening! ;)  Ghost Asylum is pretty bad too

I miss Destination Truth

I haven't heard of Kindred Spirits before - must check that out.  And yes, Caught on Camera can be maddening!  Haha.
My husband and I literally just finished watching an episode of Most Haunted and I can't take it.  That's one show on which I'll have to pass.

#10 chapsparanormal

chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

LOL Most Haunted at a time was the only one on. So got what we did. At the time, it was pretty cool. Great locations.
I have had some good chats with Richard Felix, great historian and put a lot of $$ into that research. I have also had good chats........and arguments with Acora. He is a card. Maybe a little nuts HAHA
Yvette and Karl had the dominant fist there and I think that was the issue. Both love the dramatics. I'm involved in the world of martial arts as well, so is Karl and memory serves me correct he is involved in some controversy there too.
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#11 eeek8

eeek8

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

View Postchapsparanormal, on 01 March 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

LOL Most Haunted at a time was the only one on. So got what we did. At the time, it was pretty cool. Great locations.
I have had some good chats with Richard Felix, great historian and put a lot of $$ into that research. I have also had good chats........and arguments with Acora. He is a card. Maybe a little nuts HAHA
Yvette and Karl had the dominant fist there and I think that was the issue. Both love the dramatics. I'm involved in the world of martial arts as well, so is Karl and memory serves me correct he is involved in some controversy there too.

It's very cool that you're so involved in the field and have actually met/know the people from these shows.  I don't often come across that type of insight and I appreciate it! :good:

#12 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

I meant Ghosthunters in my above post, not Ghostbusters! This is why I hate using my phone when I'm away from home to post! ;)
Posted Image

#13 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

Great description of Zak!

i love the Dead Files, I think it's an interesting take on the genre and the first few seasons really gave some interesting descriptions of what was going on. Amy's sketches have become more abstract over time but for a while her sketches were great!

#14 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

I do watch Dead Files, although as mentioned above, Amy gets kinda weird sometimes.  I wonder how much of it is for TV, or if she actually is accurate in these cases
Posted Image

#15 eeek8

eeek8

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

We occasionally watch Dead Files as well.  Pretty dramatic, although I feel like Amy's awkwardness/strangeness/whatever might just be how she is in general, especially in front of a camera.  If she legitimately has no backstories on the places they investigate, then she is pretty impressive.  If not, well, just another reality show.  

The thing I don't like about this show is that many of the families that hire them seem fake.  Like, they just want to be on tv.  If I see another obese couple blame their health problems on ghosts... sigh.

#16 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

View Posteeek8, on 02 March 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

The thing I don't like about this show is that many of the families that hire them seem fake.  Like, they just want to be on tv.  If I see another obese couple blame their health problems on ghosts... sigh.

It's easier to blame your weight and resulting problems on a ghost, than to take ownership of the fact: you have a low metabolism(thyroid problem), are an compulsive eater, have problem with your amygdala, a downright glutton, etc.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#17 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

I follow Amy on Twitter (Steve too). She just may be awkward as part of who she is. Her tweets are sometimes disjointed, and she uses question marks where they may not fit.

Steve tweets about his hot girlfriend, having drinks and smoking cigars, along with some cool locations and sceneryo
Posted Image

#18 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

I'm the outcast here entirely. I haven't had television now for 12 years and I don't miss it.

My standards for paranormal investigation do not equate to 30 to 60 minutes of drama with pure speculations. I've watched a major network reduce 3 days of filming into a 22 minute segment. When interviewed the facial disappointment was clearly evident when we admitted not being panic-stricken.

Needless to say, since we weren't frightened little girls screaming and curling up into a fetal position in the corner of a room shaking violently we were removed from the final cut. I'm sorry to say this type of "paradrama" sells episodes mostly and actual paranormal investigation won't last past a single episode. It's clearly "paranormal entertainment".

Edited by EVP, 02 March 2017 - 06:55 PM.

Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#19 capn b

capn b

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

View PostEVP, on 02 March 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

I'm the outcast here entirely. I haven't had television now for 12 years and I don't miss it.

My standards for paranormal investigation do not equate to 30 to 60 minutes of drama with pure speculations. I've watched a major network reduce 3 days of filming into a 22 minute segment. When interviewed the facial disappointment was clearly evident when we admitted not being panic-stricken.

Needless to say, since we weren't frightened little girls screaming and curling up into a fetal position in the corner of a room shaking violently we were removed from the final cut. I'm sorry to say this type of "paradrama" sells episodes mostly and actual paranormal investigation won't last past a single episode. It's clearly "paranormal entertainment".

Usually, a 30 min program is cut down to 20 with commercials but a 60 min is around 40. Some pretty good shows out there nowadays. My fav now is The Walking Dead. Hope that production you were a part of doesnt scare ya off from some good stuff.

View Posteeek8, on 02 March 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

We occasionally watch Dead Files as well.  Pretty dramatic, although I feel like Amy's awkwardness/strangeness/whatever might just be how she is in general, especially in front of a camera.  If she legitimately has no backstories on the places they investigate, then she is pretty impressive.  If not, well, just another reality show.  

Yeah, I used to follow Amy on twitter, and shes a little out there. But it's not a bad out there, just different in her own way. kind of out there. Know what I mean?
Just because you cant see it, doesn't mean it's not there

#20 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

Steve is great, his tweets and pics amuse me, he looks like he's living the life!

You're right, Amy comes across a little scattered on social media so I think maybe that's just who she is. She's definitely unfiltered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users