Free Skins
© Fisana

Does Halloween Stimulate Paranormal Activity?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:28 AM

Halloween has been a metamorphism of change dating back to Celtic farmers celebrating the singular day where the season of life met the season of death. The Celts called it Sanhains Day, which meant summers end.

In the 8th century, in a likely decision to distract the Celtic pagan practice, Pope Gregory III established All Hallows Day, in respect to all Saints known and unknown on November 1st.

North Americans arrival of the Puritans brought slow change to the established practices and it was not until the middle of 19th century when a potato famine drove a million starving Irish to North America did traditions begin to change.

Today, Halloween is considered big business from trick or treating, costuming and widely accepted as North American tradition, generating billions of dollars annually.

During the month of October, I have noticed the highest interest in paranormal team recruitment, which leads me to a few questions bordering on a spiritual nature to the community here at “The Soup”.
  • Do you believe the public interest in the paranormal associated with Halloween influences paranormal activity?
  • Has anyone done any study that loosely aligns activity to special days of interest in general?
  • Have you investigated on Halloween in the past and seen a rise in evidence collection?

I personally have mixed feelings on the matter and have not seen what I would consider a correlation.

Please share your thoughts; this could turn into an interesting topic to discuss including tangents.
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:25 AM

Halloween wasn't something that was wildly celebrated in Australia while my children or I were growing up. So I don't know I might have to google a bit :) I have noticed in the last few years there is more interest in it.

1. I think anything that draws attention like Halloween can increase interest.
2. I haven't done any studies or seen any.
3. No, I haven't but I am interested to see if anyone's investigated too. and if they have what were their findings : yes:

Good topic :D
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:31 AM

• Do you believe the public interest in the paranormal associated with Halloween influences paranormal activity?
    -I don't. I think since Halloween makes many think of ghosts etc, folks are perceiving events as paranormal that aren't
  • Has anyone done any study that loosely aligns activity to special days of interest in general?
    -Not that I'm aware of. I doubts ghosts/spirits have holidays in mind as much as the living, and some may not even be aware of 'special days'
  • Have you investigated on Halloween in the past and seen a rise in evidence collection?
    -Not on Halloween but have investigated close to it. Just like team recruitment might spike around Halloween, there seems to be more calls for investigations simply because people are more focused on the paranormal, not necessarily because there is more activity.

I think Halloween is just a fun holiday, with little connection to paranormal activity

Edited by Vlawde, 23 October 2017 - 07:34 AM.

Posted Image

#4 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostEVP, on 23 October 2017 - 03:28 AM, said:

Halloween has been a metamorphism of change dating back to Celtic farmers celebrating the singular day where the season of life met the season of death. The Celts called it Sanhains Day, which meant summers end.

In the 8th century, in a likely decision to distract the Celtic pagan practice, Pope Gregory III established All Hallows Day, in respect to all Saints known and unknown on November 1st.

North Americans arrival of the Puritans brought slow change to the established practices and it was not until the middle of 19th century when a potato famine drove a million starving Irish to North America did traditions begin to change.

Today, Halloween is considered big business from trick or treating, costuming and widely accepted as North American tradition, generating billions of dollars annually.

During the month of October, I have noticed the highest interest in paranormal team recruitment, which leads me to a few questions bordering on a spiritual nature to the community here at “The Soup”.

I personally have mixed feelings on the matter and have not seen what I would consider a correlation.

Please share your thoughts; this could turn into an interesting topic to discuss including tangents.

Here is more information in addition to EVP's take on the origins of Halloween.

Samhain (pronounced SAH-win or SOW-in, Irish pronunciation: is a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter or the "darker half" of the year. Traditionally, it is celebrated from 31 October to 1 November, as the Celtic day began and ended at sunset. This is about halfway between the autumn equinox and the winter solstice. It is one of the four Gaelic seasonal festivals, along with Imbolc, Bealtaine and Lughnasadh. Historically, it was widely observed throughout Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man. Similar festivals are held at the same time of year in other Celtic lands; for example the Brythonic Calan Gaeaf (in Wales), Kalan Gwav (in Cornwall), Kalan Goañv (in Brittany), and Samaín (in Galicia)

Samhain is believed to have Celtic pagan origins and there is evidence it has been an important date since ancient times. The Mound of the Hostages, a Neolithic passage tomb at the Hill of Tara built between 3350 and 2800 BCE, is aligned with the Samhain sunrise. It is mentioned in some of the earliest Irish literature and many important events in Irish mythology happen or begin on Samhain. It was the time when cattle were brought back down from the summer pastures and when livestock were slaughtered for the winter. As at Bealtaine, special bonfires were lit. These were deemed to have protective and cleansing powers and there were rituals involving them. Like Bealtaine, Samhain was seen as a liminal time, when the boundary between this world and the Otherworld could more easily be crossed. This meant the Aos Sí, the 'spirits' or 'fairies', could more easily come into our world. Most scholars see the Aos Sí as remnants of the pagan gods and nature spirits. At Samhain, it was believed that the Aos Sí needed to be propitiated to ensure that the people and their livestock survived the winter. Offerings of food and drink were left outside for them. The souls of the dead were also thought to revisit their homes seeking hospitality. Feasts were had, at which the souls of dead kin were beckoned to attend and a place set at the table for them. Mumming and guising were part of the festival, and involved people going door-to-door in costume (or in disguise), often reciting verses in exchange for food. The costumes may have been a way of imitating, and disguising oneself from, the Aos Sí. Divination rituals and games were also a big part of the festival and often involved nuts and apples. In the late 19th century, Sir John Rhys and Sir James Frazer suggested that it was the "Celtic New Year", and this view has been repeated by some other scholars.

In the 9th century AD, Western Christianity shifted the date of All Saints' Day to 1 November, while 2 November later became All Souls' Day. Over time, Samhain and All Saints'/All Souls' merged to create the modern Halloween. Historians have used the name 'Samhain' to refer to Gaelic 'Halloween' customs up until the 19th century.

Since the later 20th century, Celtic neopagans and Wiccans have observed Samhain, or something based on it, as a religious holiday. Neopagans in the Southern Hemisphere often celebrate Samhain at the other end of the year (about 1 May).

1. Do you believe the public interest in the paranormal associated with Halloween influences paranormal activity?

No, I don't believe that peoples interest in the paranormal around Halloween increases the activity. I believe it's the idea of Halloween that people are just more open to acknowledging the possibility of the paranormal during this time of year

2. Has anyone done any study that loosely aligns activity to special days of interest in general?

I'm not sure of anyone that has. It would be interesting to find out, though.

3. Have you investigated on Halloween in the past and seen a rise in evidence collection?

I did once. A few of us got together and investigated the town cemetery on Halloween. We didn't capture any evidence, but we did notice there was some disturbance in the nearby wooded area. It was weird. The leaves on the bushes seemed to move in one direction when there was no wind, one bush at a time. It was as if someone or something was walking along and dragging their had across the bushes. Also, we heard sounds coming from the woods, but when investigated, there was no one there.

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 23 October 2017 - 12:02 PM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#5 ShawnGStudy

ShawnGStudy

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, Horror Movies, Music, Traveling, Meeting New People, Sports, Friends, Chatting, Video Games, Concerts, Food, TV, New Experiences, Having A Good Time, Laughing, Making Others Laugh, Helping Others.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

One of the things I believe may contribute (I don't have any proof of this yet) is the fact that during the Halloween season, people are subjected to seeing various Halloween things. Any store you go to has something Halloween or is decorated for it. The human mind is a powerful thing. People see this stuff all the time when they leave their house and during the nights of sitting at home and whatnot the mind starts to work on the things it has encountered during the day letting the imagination roam a little more. I believe some of this (not all) may be associated with that. But as I said, that's something I don't have any proof of but would like to find a way to study that a little more.
Your Leading Gettysburg Paranormal Authority
Twitter: @WinFBLeague

#6 Kristin

Kristin

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

ShawnGStudy if I'm not mistaken what I think your trying to ask is do Humans manifest more paranormal activity because they are thinking about it. Our minds if you believe have the power of manifestation so at Halloween time there is more activity because we as a whole are thinking about it.. Is this what you are asking????

#7 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 23 October 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

Halloween wasn't something that was wildly celebrated in Australia while my children or I were growing up. So I don't know I might have to google a bit  I have noticed in the last few years there is more interest in it.

1. I think anything that draws attention like Halloween can increase interest.
2. I haven't done any studies or seen any.
3. No, I haven't but I am interested to see if anyone's investigated too. and if they have what were their findings : yes:

Good topic  

Klainey: I think anything that draws attention like Halloween can increase interest.

I lean towards a similar answer Klainey. If projection (poltergeist activity) and or studies like the alleged “Philip Experiment” are taken into account, I would say it is possible. Admittedly, Halloween represents something entirely different. It is tangible but interest in the other side becomes a mainstream interest at this time of year because of the cash cow it creates. It ranks #2 in-generated revenue next to Christmas.

For those unfamiliar of the “Phillip Experiment”, The Toronto Psychical Society allegedly created a ghost back in the 70’s from the power of collective thought. I realize the scientific community regards this as nothing but a hoax but I try to keep myself open regardless of being empirically based.

Here’s a good link to those interested in the Philip Experiment.

I also understand that in Australia, Halloween does not hold the same fascination as North America or the European countries. Different history, different culture, and completely different belief systems.

Edited by EVP, 23 October 2017 - 07:26 PM.

Posted Image

#8 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

View PostVlawde, on 23 October 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

-I don't. I think since Halloween makes many think of ghosts etc, folks are perceiving events as paranormal that aren't
-Not that I'm aware of. I doubts ghosts/spirits have holidays in mind as much as the living, and some may not even be aware of 'special days'
-Not on Halloween but have investigated close to it. Just like team recruitment might spike around Halloween, there seems to be more calls for investigations simply because people are more focused on the paranormal, not necessarily because there is more activity.

I think Halloween is just a fun holiday, with little connection to paranormal activity

Vlawde Answer #1 -I don't. I think since Halloween makes many think of ghosts etc, folks are perceiving events as paranormal that aren't
That’s entirely possible Vlawde. It is almost like planting the seed. Bringing it into the public eye can cause fixation or simply awareness. I appreciate your logical response to that question.

Vlawde Answer #2 -Not that I'm aware of. I doubts ghosts/spirits have holidays in mind as much as the living, and some may not even be aware of 'special days'.

Here is where it becomes a little interesting. Spiritualist, mediums and psychics call this time of year the “thinning of the veil” where our connection with the spirit world becomes much easier. I have a feeling this was derived from the roots of Halloween with the Celtics and some of belief system have been used and modified. Personally, I do not know what to say. I am more empirically based. I am always suspicious if this is also a time for monetary capitalization for the spiritualist much like the retail market.

Thanks for your contribution Vlawde!

Edited by EVP, 23 October 2017 - 10:45 PM.

Posted Image

#9 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

From Mac's Response

That is quite an interesting story Mac. If we were to use the premise science uses, we would need repeatable results to be able to say with assurance there is a correlation. I remember reading somewhere science requires 31 repeatable and controlled experiments demonstrating the same result to be acknowledged as an acceptable level of proof.

I find nothing but inconsistencies, with absolute randomness. I have read so many reports of a spirit/ghost trapped in a dwelling and the communication is always centralized to one entity. My research points into a completely different direction.

All my audio files over the past decade have never recorded the same voice more than once. One of our teams mainstay of investigation that we were privileged to investigate 20 plus times always had different vocal qualities male/female and child. My research suggests nothing but transient behavior.

Thanks again for your contribution in this thread Mac. Appreciate your thoughts as always.

Edited by EVP, 23 October 2017 - 07:02 PM.

Posted Image

#10 ShawnGStudy

ShawnGStudy

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, Horror Movies, Music, Traveling, Meeting New People, Sports, Friends, Chatting, Video Games, Concerts, Food, TV, New Experiences, Having A Good Time, Laughing, Making Others Laugh, Helping Others.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

View PostKristin, on 23 October 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

ShawnGStudy if I'm not mistaken what I think your trying to ask is do Humans manifest more paranormal activity because they are thinking about it. Our minds if you believe have the power of manifestation so at Halloween time there is more activity because we as a whole are thinking about it.. Is this what you are asking????

Yes. I suppose that is what I'm trying to say. Sometimes I just have a hard time finding the right words. lol

#11 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostShawnGStudy, on 23 October 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

One of the things I believe may contribute (I don't have any proof of this yet) is the fact that during the Halloween season, people are subjected to seeing various Halloween things. Any store you go to has something Halloween or is decorated for it. The human mind is a powerful thing. People see this stuff all the time when they leave their house and during the nights of sitting at home and whatnot the mind starts to work on the things it has encountered during the day letting the imagination roam a little more. I believe some of this (not all) may be associated with that. But as I said, that's something I don't have any proof of but would like to find a way to study that a little more.

Without a doubt Shawn, the public is visually bombarded with reminders of Halloween in hopes of their wallets opening.

I guess I should have been a little more detailed in my asking here since everyone feels the same way. I should have asked “as an investigator” has there been any supportive evidence to substantiate paranormal activity increases at Halloween rather than public perceptions of the paranormal at the end of October.

I will be audio recording on the 31st with a few extra questions this year. I hope I get a response.

1.)    Is the veil any thinner at the end of October?
2.)    Does Halloween activate on the other side?
3.)    Does the power of intention help us communicate with you on the other side.

I am lucky to get communication 1 in 10 times. Hopefully the lotto will be won that night when I record.

Thanks for piping in Shawn, always good to hear from an active investigator such as yourself.
Posted Image

#12 ShawnGStudy

ShawnGStudy

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

No problem. As an investigator, I can honestly say I haven't had any more experiences than I normally would. Not saying that it doesn't happen. But I can only speak for myself in that aspect.

#13 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:56 PM

View PostEVP, on 23 October 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Klainey: I think anything that draws attention like Halloween can increase interest.

I lean towards a similar answer Klainey. If projection (poltergeist activity) and or studies like the alleged “Philip Experiment” are taken into account, I would say it is possible. Admittedly, Halloween represents something entirely different. It is tangible but interest in the other side becomes a mainstream interest at this time of year because of the cash cow it creates. It ranks #2 in-generated revenue next to Christmas.

For those unfamiliar of the “Phillip Experiment”, The Toronto Psychical Society allegedly created a ghost back in the 70’s from the power of collective thought. I realize the scientific community regards this as nothing but a hoax but I try to keep myself open regardless of being empirically based.

Here’s a good link to those interested in the Philip Experiment.

I also understand that in Australia, Halloween does not hold the same fascination as North America or the European countries. Different history, different culture, and completely different belief systems.

Thanks for the link. It was a strange experiment for sure. I often wondered who was doing the experiment the living people or the spirit :confused0068: But very good example of what one's mind can do.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#14 True North

True North

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostEVP, on 23 October 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

I will be audio recording on the 31st with a few extra questions this year. I hope I get a response.

1.) Is the veil any thinner at the end of October?
2.) Does Halloween activate on the other side?
3.) Does the power of intention help us communicate with you on the other side.

To avoid problems with semantics, instead of using terms like 'the veil', 'activate', and 'the other side', consider wording your questions in a manner less open to interpretation.

As for the power of intent: intentions can both aid and hinder you (when you're not clear about, or unaware of, the underlying reasons why you're doing what you're doing).

Edited by True North, 24 October 2017 - 08:05 PM.

#15 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

In my experience, yes. I love Halloween but I hate it at the same time. The activity will hit it's peak at midnight on the 31 and it will last until midnight on the 1st. It's almost like an energy I can feel. The world is just vibrating right now and it's increasing. As usual, I'm seeing more things out of the corner of my eye than usual. Earlier today, I could have sworn I heard footsteps in my attic even though there's no way to get up there except through my garage heavy duty door.And the door is so loud that I'd hear it opening. It's going to keep continuing to increase too. Which reminds me, I need to strengthen the circle protecting my house tonight, and should probably do it every night until after Halloween is over. The veil between the worlds is thinning now.

Edited by moiraesfate, 24 October 2017 - 07:05 PM.

#16 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:58 PM

View PostTrue North, on 24 October 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

To avoid problems with semantics, instead of using terms like 'the veil', 'activate', and 'the other side', consider wording your questions in a manner less open to interpretation.

As for the power of intent: intentions can both aid and hinder you (when you're not clear about, or unaware of, the underlying reasons why you're doing what you're doing).

Duly noted. I realize the questions could be phrased with less ambiguity.

Maybe you could suggest some short articulate questions that could be used that will not give an answer of YES or NO.

Thanks for pointing that out TN.
Posted Image

#17 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:04 PM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 24 October 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

In my experience, yes. I love Halloween but I hate it at the same time. The activity will hit it's peak at midnight on the 31 and it will last until midnight on the 1st. It's almost like an energy I can feel. The world is just vibrating right now and it's increasing. As usual, I'm seeing more things out of the corner of my eye than usual. Earlier today, I could have sworn I heard footsteps in my attic even though there's no way to get up there except through my garage heavy duty door.And the door is so loud that I'd hear it opening. It's going to keep continuing to increase too. Which reminds me, I need to strengthen the circle protecting my house tonight, and should probably do it every night until after Halloween is over. The veil between the worlds is thinning now.

Thank you moiraesfate. You have given me a time guidelines to record. I'm glad a (with a lack of a better word) spiritualist replied to this thread. It gives a unique perspective when others endorse the concept of "the veil thinning".

I'll try to post immediately after the 1st if I receive any results including the additional Q&A questions already discussed.

Thank you for your submission moiraesfate.

Edited by EVP, 24 October 2017 - 11:07 PM.

Posted Image

#18 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:22 AM

this is a great thread ! I do agree that there's a bit more fizz in the air on Halloween, it's certainly a day I enjoy! It feels like there's not too much between this world and any others. I would be keen to hear your conclusions EVP!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#19 True North

True North

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

View PostEVP, on 24 October 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

Duly noted. I realize the questions could be phrased with less ambiguity.

Maybe you could suggest some short articulate questions that could be used that will not give an answer of YES or NO.

Thanks for pointing that out TN.

I'd first have to know what you're trying to ask. What do you mean by "does Halloween activate"?

Keep in mind that Earth-bound dead (if that's who you're trying to communicate with) are not in some whole other world. Also, being dead doesn't make someone wiser than they were in life. If you heard the things I've needed to explain to the dead you'd likely laugh and shake your head.

#20 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostTrue North, on 25 October 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

I'd first have to know what you're trying to ask. What do you mean by "does Halloween activate"?

Keep in mind that Earth-bound dead (if that's who you're trying to communicate with) are not in some whole other world. Also, being dead doesn't make someone wiser than they were in life. If you heard the things I've needed to explain to the dead you'd likely laugh and shake your head.

With the lack of a better wording if Halloween increases paranormal activity. I would prefer a question that would not result in a Yes or No. I throw single syllables out in my research.

I won't laugh whatsoever. Pioneers in the field who spend 30+ years researching gave plenty of alternative explanations of what the voices were with nothing definitive.

Thank's for helping me out TN :)

Edited by EVP, 25 October 2017 - 08:06 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users