What Does A Ghost Look Like?

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

#1 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:47 AM

I realize this might seem like a facetious question to ask but I am sure there will be some interesting personal interpretations what a ghost/spirit might resemble.

I have witnessed something unexplained only once in my lifetime. Unfortunately, it is purely anecdotal without any empirical evidence. It was collective, shared by a friend and appeared between us. This dates back to the 70’s (yes I’m showing my age).

As described previously, it was shapeless, a translucent black mass that manifested in a doorway at 9:00 in the morning. It seemed to last for 10 seconds before disappearing. Admittedly, psychologists refer to this as a collective hallucination but I feel it holds more authenticity that a single unshared event.

There is a good article over at one of my favorite sites describing properties, individual accounts, frequency, types and such that I would recommend reading but more importantly, I would like to hear from you.
  • What is your take?
  • What have you seen?
  • What do you feel accounts for authenticity of the event?
Personally I don't know what a ghost might look like despite my involvement in investigation for over a decade. I merely label these events as unexplained.

Edited by EVP, 01 November 2017 - 08:10 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#2 Louczar

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:53 AM

I know the things that I think I have seen out of the corner of my eye.  The thing I saw in the upstairs hallway last week when I thought it was my daughters friend was just dark and it was nighttime with few lights on in the house.

If we could just get everyone to have better cameras without motion blur....we would all see what they look like ;-)
My Signature
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#3 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

I wonder if sometimes when people see ghosts, if they are actually seeing a physical manifestation, or it's a projected mental image. There have been reports of multiple people seeing the same apparition at the same time, and one may see what looks like a regular person, one a white mist, another nothing. There are also reports of photos being taken of a an apparition, and either nothing shows up on film, or something that doesn't resemble what was physically seen.

I haven't seen a full apparition myself, but have seen sparks and heard 'pops' when something paranormal was happening. Only encountered an apparition once, the video showed a spark, but the investigator saw a partial manifestation
My Signature
Posted Image

#4 daphnerose

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

Our seasonal runner is seen two ways. When he is running south on the east side of the house we see his blue flannel shirt streak by. When he runs by the west side he's a black mass that looks like a fast flying garbage bag kinda. I've seen orbs and shadow men alot. A few times an actual human looking spirit. But its been a few years.

#5 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

Louczar, on 01 November 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

If we could just get everyone to have better cameras without motion blur....we would all see what they look like ;-)

I couldn't agree more. Most image submissions come from low grade cameras that brutally struggle under low light conditions. In a pinch cellphone can be useful but there are much better devices suited for capturing phenomena. Thanks for your commenting Louczar.
My Signature
Posted Image

#6 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

Vlawde, on 01 November 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

I wonder if sometimes when people see ghosts, if they are actually seeing a physical manifestation, or it's a projected mental image. There have been reports of multiple people seeing the same apparition at the same time, and one may see what looks like a regular person, one a white mist, another nothing. There are also reports of photos being taken of a an apparition, and either nothing shows up on film, or something that doesn't resemble what was physically seen.

I haven't seen a full apparition myself, but have seen sparks and heard 'pops' when something paranormal was happening. Only encountered an apparition once, the video showed a spark, but the investigator saw a partial manifestation

Vlawde, there have been plenty of investigations where evidence was witnessed but never captured regardless of the number or recording devices active at the time. One one such event we had 9 audio recorders running and 1 Sony Nighshot active and all that was recorded amounted to investigators commenting. I'm unsure whether some evidence is of a physical nature and could be more easily explained as you pointed out as a mental projection. I appreciate your balanced view sir.

Edited by EVP, 01 November 2017 - 10:50 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#7 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

daphnerose, on 01 November 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

Our seasonal runner is seen two ways. When he is running south on the east side of the house we see his blue flannel shirt streak by. When he runs by the west side he's a black mass that looks like a fast flying garbage bag kinda. I've seen orbs and shadow men alot. A few times an actual human looking spirit. But its been a few years.

Would you care to expand on this a little further to give us a better insight on your experiences please? Very interesting indeed! Thanks for your time daphnerose :)
My Signature
Posted Image

#8 Kristin

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

I am a 100% believer that the Spirit Realm is real. What I'm not 100% sure about is what exactly it is or where or how it works. I guess I'm saying I don't know nothing about it except to me its as real as you me!!! To the person who has experienced things its real they make it real in there minds and who are we to say they are wrong. Yes most of the time there is an explanation to explain what we have saw, but not always. I have seen many shadow like things move across the hall or the kitchen but I'm not sure if everyone I saw was a ghost. I have seen one boy that was about 15 years old staring down at me from my sister-In laws kids friends house. He stared at me for about 3 minutes and I turned around and said to my nieces friend. I didn't know you had a older brother. She said I don't and I said who is the teenage boy. Needless to say there is no boy there. Its the only time I have seen a Spirit so clear I thought he was alive. I see a lot of times misty color and I believe that's the atmosphere in which the are. I could be wrong! I am just Thankful I don't see them clearly and all the time. I don't think I'm one who would handle it very well.

#9 karmacae

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Family, life, art and antiques

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

Mods, feel free to edit or remove this post if you guys find it inappropriate, and I apologize in advance to any who may be offended by what I say.
Spirits, ghosts, spooks, demons, however you like to call them and any I may have missed. When I was younger I believed there was a different clarification, and identity fir each one. I have seen several different paranormal events, full body apparitions of loved ones who passed on, the classic mist floating across the room, disembodied voices, item movement, physical touch, the lists goes on. As I got older I had a rather traumatic experience involving these beings. Not only did it effect me, but my mom and children as well. Me being as stubborn as I am, I refused to let these things take control and ruin my life. Everything iv ever seen through my years happened all at once, through out the better part of nearly a year. Iv always believed in God, but at this point my faith was truley being tested. Through prayer and standing tall, keeping it together for my children I began to read on the good book, bible, again looking for answers. One thing I failed to realize in my life, foolishly believing I was a strong person, the answers was in the good book. That all our loved ones are at rest, there souls were at peace. They are not moving about. All the spirits iv seen were in fact not people who have passed on, but evil, daemons, dark beings. They play with your minds to weaken us. My world was turned upside down, my beliefs were smashed. I felt foolish, ashamed and unworthy.    I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but this is my take on ghost in general and what I believe them to be. They can take any form they desire.

Edited by karmacae, 01 November 2017 - 06:42 PM.

My Signature
One last to set free from constraints of glass. ....................What does your heart desire within this life we live?            
Should I let the Genie out,...........................................................What do you wish to live for? A light of hope?!
Or Should I let her remain within? .............................................. ....Then yet again, as your wish is granted!

#10 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

I've lived my whole life in a haunted home. My belief is Demons are demons, Angels are Angels and Ghosts are the lost souls of humans. The shadow spirits I've dealt with have come in two types, one was just plain evil and the others have been watchers, just curious about us humans.

EVP, the only ones I've seen full on have been either white or black misty forms.

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 01 November 2017 - 07:02 PM.

My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#11 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:34 AM

View PostKristin, on 01 November 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

I am a 100% believer that the Spirit Realm is real. What I'm not 100% sure about is what exactly it is or where or how it works. I guess I'm saying I don't know nothing about it except to me its as real as you me!!! To the person who has experienced things its real they make it real in there minds and who are we to say they are wrong. Yes most of the time there is an explanation to explain what we have saw, but not always. I have seen many shadow like things move across the hall or the kitchen but I'm not sure if everyone I saw was a ghost. I have seen one boy that was about 15 years old staring down at me from my sister-In laws kids friends house. He stared at me for about 3 minutes and I turned around and said to my nieces friend. I didn't know you had a older brother. She said I don't and I said who is the teenage boy. Needless to say there is no boy there. Its the only time I have seen a Spirit so clear I thought he was alive. I see a lot of times misty color and I believe that's the atmosphere in which the are. I could be wrong! I am just Thankful I don't see them clearly and all the time. I don't think I'm one who would handle it very well.

Thanks Kristin, so you are one of the lucky ones to see a specter in human form with mass and depth. Basically indistinguishable from a human. Thanks for your contribution.

Edited by EVP, 02 November 2017 - 04:36 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#12 daphnerose

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:35 AM

What would you like to know more about evp?  The runner has been seen by most of our family tho I see him most because I'm here more. I think he's a residual energy actually. I've seen it head on out my kitchen window on the west side of the house as this black mass zoomed past. Still gives me goosebumps!!

#13 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:49 AM

View Postkarmacae, on 01 November 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Mods, feel free to edit or remove this post if you guys find it inappropriate, and I apologize in advance to any who may be offended by what I say.
Spirits, ghosts, spooks, demons, however you like to call them and any I may have missed. When I was younger I believed there was a different clarification, and identity fir each one. I have seen several different paranormal events, full body apparitions of loved ones who passed on, the classic mist floating across the room, disembodied voices, item movement, physical touch, the lists goes on. As I got older I had a rather traumatic experience involving these beings. Not only did it effect me, but my mom and children as well. Me being as stubborn as I am, I refused to let these things take control and ruin my life. Everything iv ever seen through my years happened all at once, through out the better part of nearly a year. Iv always believed in God, but at this point my faith was truley being tested. Through prayer and standing tall, keeping it together for my children I began to read on the good book, bible, again looking for answers. One thing I failed to realize in my life, foolishly believing I was a strong person, the answers was in the good book. That all our loved ones are at rest, there souls were at peace. They are not moving about. All the spirits iv seen were in fact not people who have passed on, but evil, daemons, dark beings. They play with your minds to weaken us. My world was turned upside down, my beliefs were smashed. I felt foolish, ashamed and unworthy. I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but this is my take on ghost in general and what I believe them to be. They can take any form they desire.

I appreciate your spiritual approach to the subject. We all need to find what works for oneself. I tend to look at the phenomena from an documenting standpoint only. I trust only my observations and then try to rule out additional errors in judgment.

View Postdaphnerose, on 02 November 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

What would you like to know more about evp?  The runner has been seen by most of our family tho I see him most because I'm here more. I think he's a residual energy actually. I've seen it head on out my kitchen window on the west side of the house as this black mass zoomed past. Still gives me goosebumps!!

That gives me a much better idea of the encounter. In my opinion, having others experience similar phenomena offers another layer of validation. Singular events I tend to rule out more quickly. In my opinion, much of what is deemed to be paranormal is residual or imprints. I have found very few times where there is a sense of intelligence and interaction. Thank you for the additional information dapherose.

View PostMacCionoadha BeanSidhe, on 01 November 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

I've lived my whole life in a haunted home. My belief is Demons are demons, Angels are Angels and Ghosts are the lost souls of humans. The shadow spirits I've dealt with have come in two types, one was just plain evil and the others have been watchers, just curious about us humans.

EVP, the only ones I've seen full on have been either white or black misty forms.

Thanks Mac in giving me a concise answer to my question. Seems you and I have shared something similar. My encounter as previously stated was a black mass but it was virtually shapeless. I suppose we should be grateful in any type of validation that presents itself. Some people never witness anything to substantiate alternative realities.

Edited by EVP, 02 November 2017 - 04:45 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#14 daphnerose

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

One time when I was around 12 we lived in an extremely active house. I woke up in the middle of the night and there were a bunch of bright white orbs circling the walls of my room near the ceiling. They were going so incredibly fast. I can rember jumping up and looking out the window to see if anything was going on. But the street was empty. Lights still flashing. I started sleeping with my sister then!!

Edited by daphnerose, 02 November 2017 - 10:13 AM.

#15 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

View Postdaphnerose, on 02 November 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

One time when I was around 12 we lived in an extremely active house. I woke up in the middle of the night and there were a bunch of bright white orbs circling the walls of my room near the ceiling. They were going so incredibly fast. I can rember jumping up and looking out the window to see if anything was going on. But the street was empty. Lights still flashing. I started sleeping with my sister then!!

Great story!
My Signature
Posted Image

#16 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Personally, I don't like labeling the entities or the phenomena. Humans see things through different filters, and it colors our perceptions. I suspect most of the different names people call these things are not accurate, and these things are something else entirely
My Signature
Posted Image

#17 Kristin

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

I don't think if you have a cell phone camera or the most expensive camera in the world are you going to get a 100% clear pic of anything from that Realm. For some reason and I truly believe this and that is they first of all can manipulate photos. It also seems there atmosphere or whatever it is that surrounds them when they are here distorts, blurs and does all kinds of things to photos but that is my OP!!!!

#18 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:46 AM

View PostVlawde, on 02 November 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

Personally, I don't like labeling the entities or the phenomena. Humans see things through different filters, and it colors our perceptions. I suspect most of the different names people call these things are not accurate, and these things are something else entirely

I agree with avoiding the explicit labeling. Once you begin categorizing we are limiting the possibilities. I try, whenever possible avoiding the use of words like  demons, spirits, ghost. The fact is we have so little evidence of what we encounter and speculation just leads us farther away from alternate and possibly more accurate descriptions. I take the chicken way out and merely term it as "the unknown" whenever possible.
My Signature
Posted Image

#19 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:25 AM

I have seen a small girl sitting at my dinner table and then she up and disappeared.  Except for the table been in the way she looked just like a small child.
My Signature
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#20 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:38 AM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 03 November 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

I have seen a small girl sitting at my dinner table and then she up and disappeared.  Except for the table been in the way she looked just like a small child.

Thanks for sharing Klainey! Out of curiosity, did you do any historical digging to see if you could connect the dots? Also, did if have mass like a human making it indistinguishable to a real person?
My Signature
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com