• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 spacemonkey

spacemonkey

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:45 PM

This isn't really a paranormal story but it is interesting as i've have never heard of anyone not being able to feel pain except for one of the villains in a James Bond movie.Article.

#2 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:50 PM

There are some people who can absorb more pain than others. Take wrestling superstar Mick Foly. I myself was also one who could absorb a great deal of punishment without injury.

#3 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:32 PM

I think I read something like that . it had to do with the nurvous system
Be Good!

#4 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:36 PM

I just got to the point were in my head I was saying this won't hurt as much as you think and it didn't. I can show you clips of me getting hit with hammers and stuff and not once did it really hurt.

#5 Lawgiver

Lawgiver

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:21 PM

I saw this little girl on GMA the other day. It's not a high pain threshold she has, she literally can not feel pain. she cant feel when it's too hot so she cant sweat, or too cold , so she would never shiver, sunburn, cuts.... She had scratched her cornea when she was like 8 months old, and never cried, thats how they discovered it. If her appendix ever ruptures, she will never know and die...... It's really tragic when you look at the effects like that.

#6 munbby

munbby

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:43 PM

Wow, I never thought not being able to feel pain would be a bad thing.  I guess you would have to keep constant monitoring of your health to stay on top of things.  I had never heard of this before.

#7 MsMercury

MsMercury

Pareidolia

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,691 posts
  • Interests:lying on the beach drinking beer

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(munbby @ Nov 11 2004, 10:43 PM)
Wow, I never thought not being able to feel pain would be a bad thing.  I guess you would have to keep constant monitoring of your health to stay on top of things.  I had never heard of this before.
View Post

Yes, not being able to feel pain can be a bad thing. We feel it for a reason. It is our body's way of telling us when something is wrong.
Teri

#8 JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Lil' D's Gramma

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,277 posts
  • Location:Over the Hill and Through the Woods...Really just Over the Hill
  • Interests:My grandson!!

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:44 PM

I have known of this as well. It's a scary thing. I remember seeing an interview with this couple that had a daughter who had this disorder. It's tremendously nerve wrentching. They have to keep right on her all the time and check her for cuts or sure she doesn't touch the stove, the iron even her growing out of a pair of shoes. There are soo many things we don't think about on a day to day basis that creates pain.

#9 IsisoftheGarden

IsisoftheGarden

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:44 AM

I remember a case of this being on a talk show a loooong time ago (Montel or someone like that...)

I can't imagine what the parents of these children go through.  Everyday worrying non-stop.  sad.gif

#10 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:37 AM

I was refering to absorbing pain, the thought of not being able to feel it at all is very scary. I have read of this disorder as well but it has been some time.

#11 Svartalfheim

Svartalfheim

EVP

• GS Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

Yes, there's a few classifications of how our bodies react to pain. One would be actually feeling the pain, some less immune to it than others. Some, like Mick Foly or Sabu can take extreme amounts of terrible pain without feeling the effects as much, either being used to it or cancelling it out of their mind. People like me, enjoy certain degrees of pain (such as me clipping those potato chip bag clips on certain parts of my body, like my ears, eyelids, lips, tongue, nose, chest, etc.). Other people, who suffer from this "phenomenon" are really just completely immune to pain because the nerves that carry to the brain the message that "thing hurts" or "that hurts" just don't work.

- Frost

#12 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

Yep, that summed it up pretty well. I think in a sense pain can be displaced if you can convince yourself it doesn't really hurt.

#13 Guest_corvette1972_*

Guest_corvette1972_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:49 PM

My autistic son cant feel alot of pain. He can band his head...or fall down and get hurt...and not even act like it hurt....its quite scary....I have been terrified he would really hurt himself and we wouldnt even know.

#14 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:57 PM

I have an autistic cousin who cannot feel pain unless it is great ammounts. She also plays guitar like a god and has never had a single lesson.

#15 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:49 PM

Wow!!! I never thought that not feeling pain would be a bad thing, But Teri is right. We feel pain for reason, and if there is something wrong, then we would need to feel it! I couldn't even imagine who nerve wracking it would be for that little girls parents!!! I would probably want to cover the world in mattressess, and rubber tires!!!

#16 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 07:18 AM

It would be difficult to not experience pain at all, but it does happen. I am like you, matresses worldwide.