• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bartz

bartz

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

I get it quite a lot and it say on my phone the number calling is from either london or manchester or nort yorkshire or all over the place. I was out on a run the other day and my phone was ringning so I paused my strava running app and answered the phone and the lady said hello sir you were in a car accident the other day are you ok? I just hung up lol its like they are paid to ring people yeah. I wonder how they magically get your number, I'm just wondering if facebook or whatapp or your mobile phone company actually pass your number on to these people that ring to either ring to sell or ask about am alleged accident. it's very creepy yeah like your being watched all the time lol

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:22 AM

I never answer my phone if I don't recognize the number. If it's important they can leave a message.

Scammers/spammers spoof numbers, and sometimes you'll see a city in the caller ID. Some actually spoof a phone number close to yours so it looks like same area and must be safe, right? ;)

If I have to give out a phone number for something, I give out the home phone, only friends/family and things like the doctor have my cell number, so most of my spam calls are on the house phone. It tells you who's calling, and if they leave a message I can hear it live and answer if it's someone I  want to talk to
Posted Image

#3 lorac61469

lorac61469

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:41 PM

View PostVlawde, on 15 November 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

I never answer my phone if I don't recognize the number. If it's important they can leave a message.

Scammers/spammers spoof numbers, and sometimes you'll see a city in the caller ID. Some actually spoof a phone number close to yours so it looks like same area and must be safe, right? ;)

If I have to give out a phone number for something, I give out the home phone, only friends/family and things like the doctor have my cell number, so most of my spam calls are on the house phone. It tells you who's calling, and if they leave a message I can hear it live and answer if it's someone I  want to talk to

Exactly! I get lots of calls that look like local numbers. They start with the same area code and the same first 3 numbers. They never leave a message and if I happen to answer (which I rarely do) it痴 always the same 2 recorded messages. One is about lowering interest rates and the other is about staying in some hotel.

Edited by lorac61469, 15 November 2018 - 01:30 PM.

#4 bartz

bartz

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:07 PM

my email gets many scam things from amazon or supermarket saying I've won something, I just don't believe it lol there was one time a black lady asked for help and explained story and she wanted money to get out of a situation, you gotta watch it some people are crafty yeah.

#5 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:36 PM

I get calls from numbers with the same prefix as mine and they said I called them about their credit card.  I never answer though.  That's just the voice message they leave.
Posted Image

#6 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:35 PM

Very few of these guys for me leave any message. They just hang up once the answering machine or voicemail message starts
Posted Image

#7 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:40 PM

LOL, I was looking at this problem just last night and youtube is the best!

Here is one on emails that cracked me up :rofl:

Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#8 daphnerose

daphnerose

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:37 AM

I get calls from robo Chinese!

#9 daphnerose

daphnerose

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

I get calls from robo Chinese!

#10 daphnerose

daphnerose

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

I get calls in Chinese robo!

Edited by daphnerose, 16 November 2018 - 09:39 AM.

#11 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:05 PM

yes I have had those ones too Daphne, they are quite scary when translated, some of them are about ransoms, like if you don't pay they will kidnap family members etc !!

I have heard about some apps you can install on your phone to block or track these scams, has anyone tried them? (eg robokiller and hiya)

I don't know if they work internationally or not...
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#12 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:43 AM

Oh glad I haven't had any of those :bad:
Posted Image

#13 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:32 PM

today I got a robocall that said that there is a warrant out for my arrest and I need to call them back immediately... yeah right!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#14 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:10 AM

:shocked: :hug: what scammers!
Posted Image