• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sunshines2021

sunshines2021

Orb

• GS Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

I keep hearing  poltergiest and i for one dont really know what exactly it is, if its not a ghost then what, and of course how does a poltergeist come to manifest or whatever it does if its not a human spirit.  clueless i guess

#2 Lacrymosa

Lacrymosa

Orb

• GS Member
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:the paranormal, research, books, computers, music, parapsychology, true crime & serial killers, art, web design, digital art, painting, driving. my friends. writing. playing music. my two kittens Isabella and Lorelei.

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

poltergeist basically is german for "noisy ghost". They're the ones that tend to move things, make noise, throw things around or hurt people. I doubt they mean to hurt people, but people tend to get in the way of their movement.
= Blood, Brains & Rock 'n' Roll =

#3 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:32 PM

The most accepted theory on poltergeists is that they're kinetic energy given off by a young person or a very psychokinetic person living in a household.  This is what I get from dictionary.com about the actual definition (not much, sorry):

Dictionary.com

4 results for: poltergeist

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
pol·ter·geist      /ˈpoʊltərˌgaɪst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pohl-ter-gahyst]
–noun
a ghost or spirit supposed to manifest its presence by noises, knockings, etc.
[Origin: 1840–50; < G Poltergeist, equiv. to polter(n) to make noise, knock, rattle + Geist ghost]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary
pol·ter·geist       (pōl'tər-gīst')  
n.   A ghost that manifests itself by noises, rappings, and the creation of disorder.

[German : poltern, to make noises (from Middle High German boldern) + Geist, ghost (from Middle High German, from Old High German).]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Online Etymology Dictionary
poltergeist
1838, from Ger. Poltergeist, lit. "noisy ghost," from poltern "make noise, rattle" (from PIE base *bhel- "to sound, ring, roar") + Geist "ghost" (see ghost). In the native idiom of Northern England, such phenomenon likely would be credited to a boggart.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
WordNet - Cite This Source
poltergeist

noun
a ghost that announces its presence with rapping and the creation of disorder

Copyright © 2007, Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Anywhoo... it's something that moves stuff and makes a big noisy mess around the house.

A ghost (the accepted definition that we tend to use around here) is someone who has died but not crossed over and gone "Home" and become aware of anything more than he or she was aware of at the time the person died.  They tend to be stuck in a physical location... though they don't have to be and they're stuck in a particular unenlightened mindset.

The way we use spirit around here is someone who HAS gone home and is just back "visiting".
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#4 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:45 PM

I am a believer that a poltergiest is the repressed energy of a person that is coming through and creating a haunting type effect

#5 RoseIsRain

RoseIsRain

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(lorddraven2000 @ Aug 9 2007, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a believer that a poltergiest is the repressed energy of a person that is coming through and creating a haunting type effect

Me, too.
But it took me awhile to come to that conclusion.
I do not believe that they are true hauntings.

#6 JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Lil' D's Gramma

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,277 posts
  • Location:Over the Hill and Through the Woods...Really just Over the Hill
  • Interests:My grandson!!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:37 AM

I found this on a website:

Paranormal activity can range from mere light noises to thunderstorm

This chart goes by levels that are accumulative as the levels progress.

This means for example, that in level 3 the poltergeist will have all the characteristics of a level 3, but also have the characteristics of levels 1 and 2

Level

Description

Features

Referred to as Senses Attack because in the early stages of a poltergeist the activity mainly revolves around the human body's basic six

Cold spots - Strange noises - Odd odors and smells - Hearing footsteps - Unusual animal activity (dogs/cats running from rooms, etc) - Feelings of being watched

This level is where the noises and smells begin to turn into something more direct. Everything is still at its basic level but turned up a few notches.

Whispers - Laughs or giggles - Moans or shrieking - Moving shadows - Breezes in closed areas - Visible clouds (base apparitions) - Strong static electricity. Marks on floors or walls, (Not Writings).

At this stage the poltergeist begins to make it's presence felt. The difference is that in the first two levels it could be said that it was the mind playing tricks, but now, it's hard not to notice something real is happening. This is the level that the classic haunting falls into.

Lights and other electrical appliances turning ON/OFF - Unseen hands grabbing or touching people - Writings on walls or pattern markings - Doors that OPEN/CLOSE or LOCK/UNLOCK - Hearing voices or words clearly - Full apparitions or dark figures - Showing levels of communication with living people - Strange telephone calls

This is where an advanced poltergeist begins to gain momentum. Moving closer to the danger level and picking up a clearer consciousness. It may seem that it's only a harmless ghost being playful. However, if it is a poltergeist, it may be gathering knowledge of what the people around it consider frightening. At the next level it will use the information gained here in a violent manner to create an atmosphere of absolute terror. Which it then will use to feed off of and build its own energy

Flying objects - Moving objects - Objects disappearing and reappearing elsewhere - shaking furniture - Fire starting - Appearing as frightening entities - Pushing or shaking people - creating visions or illusions - speaking in ordering tones - People feel dizzy, nausea or sick to stomach. Windows, mirrors or other household objects breaking for no reason - Levitation

At this level the poltergeist is at its highest energy point and should be considered dangerous. Violent and/or threatening actions begin at this stage. The time frame here, and all stages listed, will vary determining on the poltergeist. It could end in days, months or years. After this stage the poltergeist will go dormant and then begin this cycle over again starting

Dangerous activity - Biting - Slapping or punching - rape - Animating objects - Possessions - Use of household electrical systems to cause harm - Fires and burning - Blood on walls, floors, ceilings - Attacked by unseen forces - held down - Hair pulled - Flying knives or sharp objects - Heavy objects falling - Threatening writings or visual signs

#7 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

Jeeps, do you have a link for that site?  

Based on the descriptions you quoted, it almost sounds like this particular site believes that poltergeists are actual paranormal entities rather than mere projections of stressful human emotion.  (Levels 4 and 5 remind me of the phenomena experienced by the family in "The Entity," which was apparently an actual malevolent spirit as opposed to traditional poltergeist activity.)  I'm curious and want to read up on it some more.

#8 lilclairey2010

lilclairey2010

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

i am new here and i've been trying to find the right place to write about what i want help with...well, this seems to be it!

i am 20 years old and alls i have known is having strange things going on around me. i actually think people are weird when they haven't experienced things. obviously, most people look at it the other way round.
anyway, as i say, it's been this way all my life. but i am starting to get a little bit scared now as i am waiting for stage 4 of the poltergeist.
i have been through all of them. i have woke up with scratches, i have watched items smash for no reason, i have had a cushion thrown at me, i have seen a tall white figure...watched it for about a minute...while it was walking back and forth past my settee until it came in the middle of the settee and stood over me...at that point i got myself together and ran! i have heard footsteps running into my room, my dog has gone loopy, barking at what seems to be nothing, my mam ran out of the house scared stiff because something was banging around in the bathroom upstairs she said it sounded like someone was throwing furniture off every wall in the bathroom, then whatever it was ran across the landing and started coming down the stairs, that was the part she felt she had to run. i have had someone blowing on me, that happened every night for almsot a week...slight blowing on my face. something has walked through me. me and my friend woke up to my bed shaking. my fan light went on to a speed that doesn't even exist. my window has been opened and slammed shut. i have had a torch thrown and smashed into pieces. my door has been unlocked and opened. theres too many things to list. i've already gone through so many but the list goes on and on. at the minute, things havve quietened down. i haven't had anything for about 10 months. the last big thing that happened was my window opening and slamming shut but that was last year. 10 months ago was when i heard footsteps running into my bedroom, on two occasions. i thought it was my daughter at first and i lay there waiting for her to jump on the bed but when i opened my eyes she wasn't there. i went to see where she was andshe was fast asleep in bed! none of this has really bothered me much. what bothers me is the fact each time it comes back, it is stronger. the last time was too strong for me to handle. it has learnt a way on how to scare me. so next time, at stage 4...what the heck is going to happen!? i want help now, before it comes back and gets too out of hand! i think it might affect me through my dreams too...sometimes, not often though. i have a dream about one of the bedrooms....different one each time. anyway the dream is that objects are flying all over and the door is locked, sometimes with me in it. if i am not in it then the door swings open and it's bright as anything. i have also dreamt of all the cupboard doors being open. it always seems to be something that i need to get away from but it won't let me go (in my dreams). i would say it could be because its playing on my mind., but at the time i'm dreaming it i haven't thought about it in a while. it always happens when no activity has gone on for a while. is it possible for a spirit/poltergeist/entity to affect yout dreams/nightmares? i never have nightmares. this is the only nightmare i have!! one_strong_gal@hotmail.com please get in touch with any information. anything you can think of will be much appreciated!

Posted Image

Created by Silent Walker

#9 Seraph_deity

Seraph_deity

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE(lilclairey2010 @ Aug 15 2007, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i am new here and i've been trying to find the right place to write about what i want help with...well, this seems to be it!

i am 20 years old and alls i have known is having strange things going on around me. i actually think people are weird when they haven't experienced things. obviously, most people look at it the other way round.
anyway, as i say, it's been this way all my life. but i am starting to get a little bit scared now as i am waiting for stage 4 of the poltergeist.
i have been through all of them. i have woke up with scratches, i have watched items smash for no reason, i have had a cushion thrown at me, i have seen a tall white figure...watched it for about a minute...while it was walking back and forth past my settee until it came in the middle of the settee and stood over me...at that point i got myself together and ran! i have heard footsteps running into my room, my dog has gone loopy, barking at what seems to be nothing, my mam ran out of the house scared stiff because something was banging around in the bathroom upstairs she said it sounded like someone was throwing furniture off every wall in the bathroom, then whatever it was ran across the landing and started coming down the stairs, that was the part she felt she had to run. i have had someone blowing on me, that happened every night for almsot a week...slight blowing on my face. something has walked through me. me and my friend woke up to my bed shaking. my fan light went on to a speed that doesn't even exist. my window has been opened and slammed shut. i have had a torch thrown and smashed into pieces. my door has been unlocked and opened. theres too many things to list. i've already gone through so many but the list goes on and on. at the minute, things havve quietened down. i haven't had anything for about 10 months. the last big thing that happened was my window opening and slamming shut but that was last year. 10 months ago was when i heard footsteps running into my bedroom, on two occasions. i thought it was my daughter at first and i lay there waiting for her to jump on the bed but when i opened my eyes she wasn't there. i went to see where she was andshe was fast asleep in bed! none of this has really bothered me much. what bothers me is the fact each time it comes back, it is stronger. the last time was too strong for me to handle. it has learnt a way on how to scare me. so next time, at stage 4...what the heck is going to happen!? i want help now, before it comes back and gets too out of hand! i think it might affect me through my dreams too...sometimes, not often though. i have a dream about one of the bedrooms....different one each time. anyway the dream is that objects are flying all over and the door is locked, sometimes with me in it. if i am not in it then the door swings open and it's bright as anything. i have also dreamt of all the cupboard doors being open. it always seems to be something that i need to get away from but it won't let me go (in my dreams). i would say it could be because its playing on my mind., but at the time i'm dreaming it i haven't thought about it in a while. it always happens when no activity has gone on for a while. is it possible for a spirit/poltergeist/entity to affect yout dreams/nightmares? i never have nightmares. this is the only nightmare i have!! one_strong_gal@hotmail.com please get in touch with any information. anything you can think of will be much appreciated!

Yeah a poltergiest can cause nightmares. They feed off any kind of strong  emotions, and fear is one of the top. They tend to show up when a house has teenagers, or young adults or strong emotional people. If it's not gotten rid of it can begin stalking a member of the household. They can move things, makes sounds, and do other activities like that. They sometimes make lights flicker or  make animals and electronic act up.  They also can influence people to act strange or say and do things they normally wouldn't. It's called oppression.My best friend had one in her basement( her bedroom is down there) and it was moving her belongings and causing her to have bad dreams. It made her electronics act up and  It would 'touch' her and some of our freinds in personal area's and at one point it almost choked her. I don't wnat to scare you but you really need to get it out of you house. My friend managed to ask her spirit guide if he could get it out of the house and now the polterguist is following her. I'm actually looking a for a way to permanently get rid of it, because it's also followed me the one day because i was talking about ways to get rid of it. If you hear of any known remedies, please email me or message me at Dream_child17@hotmail.com. I could use the help as much as you can. I heard that bruning sage can get it out of the house or asking you guide, which is what my friend did. But for that you ned to be in touch with them and aware of them to begin with. i don't know how to keep it from stalking people. It's really freaking my friend out and i need a remedy soon.  If you hear anything at all, on how to make these things go away i urge you to contact me because things are really gettingt out of hand.

#10 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,972 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:56 AM

A "poltergeist" cannot "feed" off emotions because it is not an entity....as said above, the accepted definition of poltergeist activity is that it is caused by a person (see tantric Kitten's post)
Posted Image

#11 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:26 AM

This was interesting reading. Whatever the theory one might agree on. I think we can all agree, it would be scary for the people involved. :confused0068:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#12 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:10 PM

Yep poltergeists are not ones I'd like to come across !
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#13 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:03 AM

One is named Peeves and the other is named Nearly Headless Nick! :-)

Anything flying off the walls, shelves or whatever....I'm out!
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users