7 replies to this topic

#1 atledenin

atledenin

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hi all :)

First time poster.  About a month ago there was a break-in to a neighbours car.  They'd asked me if could see anything on the security camera.  Had a look around the time they'd mentioned and came across this -

https://www.youtube....h?v=lx_aFlkQf8A

The event happens within the first 5 seconds of the footage.

Never seen anything like this before on the camera and I couldn't find anything else when looking back at other recorded footage.  I've had a couple of friends mention that insects can appear like this and a thread I started on reddit mentioned the same.  I thought I'd share it here as well see what you think.

Thanks for reading and watching.

Edited by atledenin, 28 July 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#2 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

It's a flying insect very close to the lens. You can clearly see the wings ungulating.

#3 H4yW00d

H4yW00d

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:I like spending time with family and friends, the ocean, anything outdoors, roller coasters, holidays (especially Halloween), and anything paranormal

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Could that be playing in reverse?...A bug flying by going towards the building

Posted Image

#4 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Oh that is so very cool! :)

It's a great little piece of footage but unfortunately I believe the others are correct and it is just a bug. Your camera appears to be set to 6 frames per second and it looks like it also has an infrared LED array for night time footage. The car and other objects are far away and getting lit by visible light sources while your insect gets very close to the camera, becoming overexposed by the IR illuminator  giving it that whit/blue "streak" effect and the low frame rate gives it the undulating look ... also it's probably a moth.

However, the whole thing is very cool and you can see the bug moving from right to left in the beginning and then turn towards the camera and getting suddenly brighter ... very nice! and Thanxz for sharing!!! :)

Posted Image

Oh and   :sign0016:

Edited by siguie, 28 July 2014 - 06:11 PM.

- siguie -

#5 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

I agree with "bug". It has the same structure as "rod" pictures, which have been clearly shown to be bugs stretched out by the camera's frame rate.

#6 atledenin

atledenin

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:46 AM

View Postsiguie, on 28 July 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Oh that is so very cool! :)

It's a great little piece of footage but unfortunately I believe the others are correct and it is just a bug. Your camera appears to be set to 6 frames per second and it looks like it also has an infrared LED array for night time footage. The car and other objects are far away and getting lit by visible light sources while your insect gets very close to the camera, becoming overexposed by the IR illuminator  giving it that whit/blue "streak" effect and the low frame rate gives it the undulating look ... also it's probably a moth.

However, the whole thing is very cool and you can see the bug moving from right to left in the beginning and then turn towards the camera and getting suddenly brighter ... very nice! and Thanxz for sharing!!! :)

Posted Image

Oh and   :sign0016:

Thanks for posting everybody and thanks for the welcome :)

I suspected as much, always nice to get another opinion :)  You are correct, the camera does have the IR LEDs.

Thanks again :)

#7 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

My take is it is perhaps a piece of windlown debtis. The bug crosses close before this and doesn't leave the white glow
Who you gonna call?

#8 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Something that people may not be aware of is that youtube is transitioning to HTML5 ... slowly ... BUT you can goto http://youtube.com/html5 and choose to use the html5 player instead of the default Flash player. The reason is that depending on your browser you will get the ability to change the speed of the video being played. It's in the "settings" gear icon.

This video looks much better at 1/4 speed and 480 :)  PLUS I thought it might be useful for people analyzing videos without needing to download them first.

Oh and if you don't like the html5 player you can go back to that page and reset to the carpy default player.

Edited by siguie, 29 July 2014 - 06:31 PM.

- siguie -

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ghost, sprit, insect, paranormal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users