• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#1 SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

I'm thinking of going to the local Big Blue Box of Doom store to buy a No-Contract smartphone.

I plan on getting something that I could beef up with a memory card that I could use primarily as a portable music and video-player, second PC of sorts, Camera, Camcorder and such (and not necessarily as solely a Cell Phone, that's secondary in importance.).Posted Image

I do have a question concerning the phone cards one buys to pay for phone calls. Is it just for phone calls or would the other functions suck up the money as well?

Also; I heard that the money on the card expires. What does that mean? Does that apply to the card itself or the digitized moolah once it's put into the phone? I don't want to spend money and be obligated to spend it all before an appointed time. :wallbash:

Can one use a Smartphone and never actually use it as a phone?

I've never had a Smartphone but I know they have pretty much replaced MP3 Players, MP4 Players, Digital Cameras and Camcorders as the "BIG Portable Tech Thingy Of The Day" and can even be used as eBook Readers.

Now; Someone here could just say "Why not buy a Kindle Fire" on Amazon? However; I still need to have a Cell Phone even if I barely use it.

I'm sorry if I sound like a fogey. Please help out here. :thanks:
My Signature
Posted Image

#2 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

First let me point out that in the realm of pHone tech I'm an iGeek and I have my calls routed to cellphones, echo dot, computers and even my TV. AND to save on mobile charges I have my cellphone use wifi whenever I can an at home I use an obi that runs both my landline and cell. In other words you may just want to ignore everything I suggest BUT ...

Do NOT buy one of those carp phones :no: Instead I recommend using a "Mobile Virtual Network" {MVN} :yes:

I use Ting which runs on the Sprint Network so just see if the Network covers your area well.

You should check out their rates but basically it's a "no contract" service, which means you pay for what you use each month, either directly or from any surplus you have in your account. Essentially you pay "only" for the parts you use. For example, I have two cellphones with them {one for my parents} I pay $6 per month for each phone {$12} and because I iGeek the carp out of every freaken thang both phones together use less than 100 minutes per month which means that's the $3 package. So everything together including fees {$2.48} I typically pay 15+2.48=17.48 per month but on months when me and parents use no cell minutes it drops to $12 plus FEEs which ends up at $13.72 and again that's for 2 phones.

"Can one use a Smartphone and never actually use it as a phone?"

YES! absolutely :yes: In fact they make great little tablet thingies AND ghost hunting tools. PLUS even without a cell contract you can ALWAYS dial 911 and it will work so they are great emergency backups.

Anyways, I recommend Ting this is my referral link that gives you a $25 Ting credit PLUS I get $25 too and once in you can give your link to others and continue the cycle.

Check out the rates and if it works for you then they are great! :yes: IF you want/need unlimited anything then you probably need something else BUT for very basic services I couldn't find anything else cheaper without getting kind of sketchy.

AND don't rule out Google Voice from tablets/phones/computers :no:

Edited by siguie, 28 January 2018 - 05:49 PM.

My Signature
- siguie -

#3 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:50 AM

I am not savvy on your topic but I have my Samsung Smartphone and a 64gb micro card. It is mostly used to go on the net, audiobooks and take pictures. I have a $30 2 month deal.  I mostly use my own wifi at home and works wifi at work; so sometimes I can stretch the 2 months out to 3 months. As long as I recharge within 12 months I am ok doing that but I normally find someone will send me a Text that I need credit to reply to.
My Signature
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#4 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:50 AM

I get a new smartphone every 3-4 years. I hardly ever use it for the phone part, maybe once a day, and I rarely text. Much easier to call and be done with whatever versus going back and forth typing on that little keyboard, plus it's impersonal.

I mostly use it like a pocket computer, and have unlimited data. The best thing about it is using it to play Pandora through the Blue tooth in my car radio
My Signature
Posted Image

#5 SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys!

And WiFi can stretch out the phone call $$? Cool.

Since I won't make phone calls constantly, I'll just add a little bit of money at a time.

Thank you for the help.
My Signature
Posted Image

#6 HotSpot24

Apport

• GS Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

My advice: Get one compatible with TracFone and I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy J7, it's what I have currently. It get's the job done, but it won't break the bank. Oh, and make sure to get an SD card with it because if you have large apps you want, they WILL fill up the phone fast.

Good luck on the decision!

#7 SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

View PostHotSpot24, on 31 January 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

My advice: Get one compatible with TracFone and I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy J7, it's what I have currently. It get's the job done, but it won't break the bank. Oh, and make sure to get an SD card with it because if you have large apps you want, they WILL fill up the phone fast.

Good luck on the decision!

What's TracFone? Also; I was originally intending on getting a Verizon Wireless LG Optimus Zone 3 8GB prepaid smartphone for about $30 bucks (I'm surfing the store's website)....
https://www.walmart....Black/170621576

However; I will check out other options that....
  • Are also inexpensive but good.
  • Can accept SD cards.
  • Use TracPhone.
However; I'll check out your Samsung Galaxy J7 Suggestion.

Most are too pricey for me but so far; I can only find Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro 16GB for 99 bucks....
https://www.walmart....Black/840262752
....Is this good?

I'm not wealthy, collect SSI and live with my parents (TMI, sorry). I'll spend around a Hundred or so but not Hundreds.

Is this what you really meant?....
https://www.amazon.c...galaxy tracfone
....These are Samsung Galaxies with TracFone at prices I can deal with. The J7s are too much for me. Any suggestions?

Edited by SpukiKitty, 31 January 2018 - 10:15 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#8 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:41 AM

I have never heard of that brand here so I will leave it to someone who can answer your questions.

I think you need to go back and see what your needs are and what the different phones offer and compare their specifications. Maybe get an idea of what you like and go into the shop and see how everything works and if you like the quality of the camera and audio.

I am not too sure if my country has any voice over internet protocol services that allows the user to use their mobile number. I have found Facebook and certain apps like 'whatsapp' require all users, be connected to the same thing. In these cases, all your contacts would need to be connected to FaceBook or whatsappto be able to use the service.
My Signature
Posted Image

#9 SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 01 February 2018 - 05:41 AM, said:

I have never heard of that brand here so I will leave it to someone who can answer your questions.

I think you need to go back and see what your needs are and what the different phones offer and compare their specifications. Maybe get an idea of what you like and go into the shop and see how everything works and if you like the quality of the camera and audio.

I am not too sure if my country has any voice over internet protocol services that allows the user to use their mobile number. I have found Facebook and certain apps like 'whatsapp' require all users, be connected to the same thing. In these cases, all your contacts would need to be connected to FaceBook or whatsappto be able to use the service.

I mainly just want a smartphone (that can take an SD card) to surf the Web, watch videos, read, listen to music, take photos & video and such. Actual phone stuff is secondary. I rarely go out and we have a phone of our own, so I don't need major phone stuff.
My Signature
Posted Image

#10 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

The phone stuff is what adds the most to the cost of the phone so why not just get a nice tablet and learn to make calls through google?
My Signature
- siguie -

#11 SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

View Postsiguie, on 01 February 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

The phone stuff is what adds the most to the cost of the phone so why not just get a nice tablet and learn to make calls through google?

Cool! I'll consider a tablet.

But are there any that accept SD cards? I want to store all my music and videos and stuff and have it be my portable MP3/MP4 player.

Edited by SpukiKitty, 01 February 2018 - 07:00 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#12 KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:38 AM

10 inch Octa Core White Tablet PC HD 2560X1600 IPS Display 4GB Ram 64GB Rom WifiI Gps 3G Call Dual sim card Dual Camera Tablets Android5.1 electronics 7 8 9 10.1

Posted Image
My Signature
Posted Image

#13 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:02 AM

View PostSpukiKitty, on 01 February 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

But are there any that accept SD cards? I want to store all my music and videos and stuff and have it be my portable MP3/MP4 player.

Dude Srsly I'm not even sure if there are any tablets that don't have SD card slots any more. Besides you have sooooo many options from Amazon, Google, Microsoft cloud storage to home cloud drives to just using an otg cable OR using a compact wireless drive that runs either through wifi or bluetooth  like ...

The Meco at $16
The RAVPower FileHub at $40
The overpriced AirDisk at $80
Or the SanDisk 64GB Connect Wireless Stick at $33 the 32GB is in the $25 range.

Also please understand I am NOT recommending these things, I am just pointing out the options. Also these are for on the go  file storage. AND if you have an old phone with no service you can still use it for file storage and use an App like Airdroid to access it wirelessly from your tablet.

AND for the at home folk who may not know this you can make your own home cloud storage system by plugging either a flash drive or external hard drive into one of the usb slots in your router OR if you have an ethernet drive you can use that :yes:

Please note the drive may or may not be instantly available depending on your drive and system BUT it's really pretty easy to do :yes: Also for anyone interested in home security and  who has a Net Video Recorder {NVR} it's pretty much already a done deal.

For anyone interested here's the dummies HOW TO ADD A HARD DRIVE TO A NETWORK but honestly all I've ever done was plug in whatever then go through 192.168.0.n {n=1..0} which are the default router addresses until I found what I want :yes:

Yeah I know way too much blah blah BUT if your phone requirements are secondary then yeah any cheap android device will work for what you are asking. Also let me reiterate, I'm probably not someone you should listen too :no:
My Signature
- siguie -

#14 SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

View Postsiguie, on 02 February 2018 - 03:02 AM, said:

Dude Srsly I'm not even sure if there are any tablets that don't have SD card slots any more. Besides you have sooooo many options from Amazon, Google, Microsoft cloud storage to home cloud drives to just using an otg cable OR using a compact wireless drive that runs either through wifi or bluetooth  like ...

The Meco at $16
The RAVPower FileHub at $40
The overpriced AirDisk at $80
Or the SanDisk 64GB Connect Wireless Stick at $33 the 32GB is in the $25 range.

Also please understand I am NOT recommending these things, I am just pointing out the options. Also these are for on the go  file storage. AND if you have an old phone with no service you can still use it for file storage and use an App like Airdroid to access it wirelessly from your tablet.

AND for the at home folk who may not know this you can make your own home cloud storage system by plugging either a flash drive or external hard drive into one of the usb slots in your router OR if you have an ethernet drive you can use that :yes:

Please note the drive may or may not be instantly available depending on your drive and system BUT it's really pretty easy to do :yes: Also for anyone interested in home security and  who has a Net Video Recorder {NVR} it's pretty much already a done deal.

For anyone interested here's the dummies HOW TO ADD A HARD DRIVE TO A NETWORK but honestly all I've ever done was plug in whatever then go through 192.168.0.n {n=1..0} which are the default router addresses until I found what I want :yes:

Yeah I know way too much blah blah BUT if your phone requirements are secondary then yeah any cheap android device will work for what you are asking. Also let me reiterate, I'm probably not someone you should listen too :no:

That's fine.

I'm just going to buy this at ol' Wally-World....
....Gonna "Keep It Simple Stupid" and familiar. It has decent reviews, is very inexpensive, can take a SD card and I mostly just wanted a thing to enjoy music and videos (with the occasional rare phone call).
My Signature
Posted Image

#15 MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

View PostSpukiKitty, on 01 February 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

Most things like that do, I have a Nook tablet (for the love of all that is holy, do not get a nook, they suck), and it has a place for an SD card.
My Signature
Posted Image

#16 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

If you use a Nook for strictly it's purpose, they are fine. But when it comes to surfing the internet, yeah..major suckage
My Signature
Posted Image

#17 MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

View PostVlawde, on 02 February 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

If you use a Nook for strictly it's purpose, they are fine. But when it comes to surfing the internet, yeah..major suckage

It also sucks when you pre-order a book for it, and when it comes out, the book isn't compatible with your version of Nook, and they don't give refunds for digital purchases. So then it's like "Ok, well it just did come out, so give it a few weeks to a month, and they will make it compatible." Noooo lol, I waited and waited, and nothing. After that, I decided I was just going to use google play and use it for games, and like 5 years later, it was like "This book is downloading" Ugh lol.
My Signature
Posted Image

#18 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

View PostSpukiKitty, on 02 February 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

That's fine.

I'm just going to buy this at ol' Wally-World....
....Gonna "Keep It Simple Stupid" and familiar. It has decent reviews, is very inexpensive, can take a SD card and I mostly just wanted a thing to enjoy music and videos (with the occasional rare phone call).

Whatever works for you is fine :yes:

Just be sure and connect to your wifi first to do updates THEN activate your card OR if there is an option set it to do updates only over wifi 'cuz a lot of people don't realize they are going to have BIG downloads when they first activate these thangs.

Oh Nooks are great {eXtremely easy} tablets to root :yes:

Here's a review from Gizmodo "The Dead Simplest Way to Root Your Nook Tablet" :yes: and here's the Actual how to with file to download and does it XDA Forum "How to Root ANY Nook" ... it's baiscally just download a zip file extract and put it on an sd card then do a system boot using a funky key sequence and viola a low end android tablet vastly superior to a nook :yes:

I personally have never rooted a nook BUT other than lowered battery life {it does a lot more now so that's to be expected} everyone seems much happier with it :yes:
My Signature
- siguie -

#19 SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

View Postsiguie, on 02 February 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

Whatever works for you is fine :yes:

Just be sure and connect to your wifi first to do updates THEN activate your card OR if there is an option set it to do updates only over wifi 'cuz a lot of people don't realize they are going to have BIG downloads when they first activate these thangs.

Oh Nooks are great {eXtremely easy} tablets to root :yes:

Here's a review from Gizmodo "The Dead Simplest Way to Root Your Nook Tablet" :yes: and here's the Actual how to with file to download and does it XDA Forum "How to Root ANY Nook" ... it's baiscally just download a zip file extract and put it on an sd card then do a system boot using a funky key sequence and viola a low end android tablet vastly superior to a nook :yes:

I personally have never rooted a nook BUT other than lowered battery life {it does a lot more now so that's to be expected} everyone seems much happier with it :yes:

I JUST BOUGHT A SMARTPHONE!

It's this one. I couldn't find the one I originally wanted...
https://www.walmart....phone/569716063
....Got it for about 29 bucks. Haven't done any of that activation stuff yet.

I think it also has TracFone on it as well. I haven't started this baby up yet and need to buy a phone card (I'm low on cash, now).
My Signature
Posted Image

#20 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

You chose well!  :)
My Signature
Posted Image

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com