• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sanctuaryrh

Sanctuaryrh

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:10 AM

An orb capture at the Old Jail in Charleston, SC, March, 2016.  Our team lead sensed a presence while we were investigating the jail, so I started snapping photos with my iPhone.  I always click minimum of two photos each time so there is a beginning and ending.  Wonderful experience in paranormal activity at the jail.   Three incidents I witnessed personally.  :)

Attached Files

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,308 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Hi Sanctuaryrh, welcome to the forums!

To my eyes, that appears to be dust or other airborne debris that is very close to the camera lens. It's common to have it show up in one shot and not another, since movement and air currents can place it in the 'sweet spot' in relation to the lens and the light source

Posted Image

I'd be interested in hearing about the incidents you witnessed personally!
Posted Image

#3 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

Maybe someone can help me here. From my observations with all due respect to Vlawde's consummate deductions, I don't see this resembling typical orb like qualities. In the first image, you can readily see what appears a set of lights below the cam for illumination. In the second image, they are not visible obviously by repositioning. Is it possible the illuminated oval is caused by one of the lights or an external light source? Or is that panel of lights made to spread across a wide angle instead of a focused beam.

To the original OP, don't mind me I always look for natural explanations first until I run out mundane explanations.

Posted Image

I'd be interested in hearing about the incidents you witnessed personally!

I second that for hearing personal accounts. I had an interesting one at Eastern State Penitentiary years ago.

Not that EXIF data would necessarily help in this case, but all of the information is stripped and reduced down to .394 megapixel in size which indicates alteration at the very least.

---- ExifTool ----
ExifTool Version Number : 10.64
---- System ----
File Name    : index.jpg
File Size    : 89 kB
File Modification Date/Time : 2017:12:14 17:39:46-05:00
File Access Date/Time    : 2017:12:14 17:39:46-05:00
File Creation Date/Time : 2017:12:14 17:39:46-05:00
File Permissions : rw-rw-rw-
---- File ----
File Type    : JPEG
File Type Extension : jpg
MIME Type    : image/jpeg
Exif Byte Order : Little-endian (Intel, II)
Image Width : 544
Image Height : 725
Encoding Process : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample : 8
Color Components : 3
Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling : YCbCr4:4:4 (1 1)
---- JFIF ----
JFIF Version : 1.01
Resolution Unit : None
X Resolution : 1
Y Resolution : 1
---- IFD0 ----
Software : Google
---- Composite ----
Image Size   : 544x725
Megapixels   : 0.394

Edited by EVP, 31 July 2019 - 11:00 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

I agree with Vlawde on the dust ID. I have seen many oval and even long dust orbs caused by elongated or moving dust. Looks familiar.

#5 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:28 AM

Looks like two orbs to me. The bottom one is in front of the top one.

And as Vlawde mentioned... no flash but rather light up the room. Or I would even suggest, using an external flash that's away from the lens.

As for these two orbs.... they're real and probably best friends, hehe... or simply dust. I'm not really seeing all the criteria for an authentic orb, IMO. But I won't rule it out completely.  ;)

Cool capture.

#6 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:54 AM

Posted ImageSanctuaryrh  :D I really liked your picture and would love to hear more about your experiences :yes:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#7 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

Agree with Klainey, it would be great to hear more about your experiences!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#8 SlowCiode

SlowCiode

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Far too many to list.

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

View PostSanctuaryrh, on 14 December 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

An orb capture at the Old Jail in Charleston, SC, March, 2016.  Our team lead sensed a presence while we were investigating the jail, so I started snapping photos with my iPhone.  I always click minimum of two photos each time so there is a beginning and ending.  Wonderful experience in paranormal activity at the jail.   Three incidents I witnessed personally.  :)

That jail is a wonderful spot to explore. I visited in 2003 and took a lot of pics of the outside but they wouldn't allow me inside the building so I didn't get to experience that. I actually "broke into" the jail. I was walking around C with my camera and saw the wall and peered over it - and in the spirit of urbex I decided to "sneak in" and hopped the wall. Then I saw the huge open entrance and had to laugh. I'd like to go back there and explore. Cool pic - orbs are paranormal phenomena. Someday I hope to be one. : )

#9 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

View PostSlowCiode, on 13 May 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

Orbs are paranormal phenomena.

A couple of questions:

1.) How do you validate orbs as being paranormal.
2.) Do you have any formal training in photography.
3.) Do you understand the basics on how dust when illuminated close to a convex lens can create issues.
4.) Do you use a lens hood to shield from dust reflections.
5.) What have you done to rule out natural explanations in your studies.
6.) What controls or measurements do you employ when investigating.

Certainly places like jails, theaters, old building are prime conduits for unusual activity. Unfortunately, most of it can be explained with only a small percentage ruled as paranormal. I had a unique experience at Eastern State Penitentiary that was recorded (audio) where something used a really strong vernacular that was heard real-time.

I suppose I'm curious because to date, I've never had an orb hold up a sign that says "I'm a ghost!"

Edited by EVP, 14 May 2019 - 01:33 PM.

Posted Image

#10 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:44 PM

LOL, I haven't had any orbs, ghosts or spirits hold up any signs either. I suppose it would be cool if they would.

Even the orbs I have seen without a camera haven't held up any signs.
Posted Image

#11 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 14 May 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

Even the orbs I have seen without a camera haven't held up any signs.

Maybe we're on the verge of starting a trend Klainey :)
Posted Image

#12 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:59 AM

View PostEVP, on 15 May 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

Maybe we're on the verge of starting a trend Klainey :)

Maybe LOL ;)   Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• Guests
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

There are people who have done many studies on orbs. I don't remember the website but I have a dvd I purchased from them. They give very specific details as to the study and what they have found and then categorize orbs according to their theories based on those studies. It's very interesting. I have no idea where the dvd is now but I will have to search for it and see if it gives the website. I know they said colored orbs are not any dust, bugs or debris that they have experimented with also they came to the conclusion that spirit orbs have an outer shell and possibly several rings and or designs in them and are not that transparent. I have no idea if they are correct but it was an amazing dvd to watch.

#14 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,308 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:29 PM

I've seen claims that colored orbs mean different things, but in the end it's either something of that color in the area reflecting on the dust, or the dust is a piece of colored lint from clothing or what have you.

The rings, shell are artifacts of the light reflecting off the dust. Here's a great read explaining dust orbs from a source who knows all the technical stuff...Kodak! https://www.tntparan...orbs-from-kodak

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

If you can replicate the effect yourself, which I have done, it leads me to a mundane explainable answer. Snowlord when he was active did a great job with a photo collage.I have had one exception where a self illuminated orb meandered between several tombstones but I was holding an audio recorder and never managed to capture it on a camera or video cam. Scientists have claimed it could come from ignited swamp gas or a form of ball lighting.

Belief systems are often reinforced by confirmation bias. The catch is, people don't want to experiment themselves to get an answer. Admittedly, it's tough finding a balance between an opinion which cannot be proven and a fact but when results can produce the effect through a simple experiment with dust and a camera on a tripod, the answer becomes more evident.

Different colors can come from many different ways. By using a flash, the color temperature is higher than normal sunlight giving you a stronger blue shade. Light reflecting off the particulate can also create different spectral colors. Cameras are not as frequently color correct as you might think. This is why they have a white balance adjustment. Have someone sit on the grass and take a shot. Chances are their faces will take on a green color created by the ambient light reflecting off the grass.

Strong belief systems can cause major problems when they are proven wrong. Back in the 1600's Galileo proved by dropping 2 different weighted cannonballs off the Leaning Tower.They both hit the ground at the same time. He was sent to prison with an extended term because he proved conventional thought was incorrect.

Finding proof of anything has a tendency of scaring people with solidified belief systems. I can't imagine how much stir would result if aliens landed here on earth. Christians believe humans are the only intelligent creature in the universe. That theory would be instantly smashed.

Edited by EVP, 18 May 2019 - 12:41 PM.

Posted Image

#16 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,308 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

View PostEVP, on 18 May 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

Strong belief systems can cause major problems when they are proven wrong. Back in the 1600's Galileo proved by dropping 2 different weighted cannonballs off the Leaning Tower.They both hit the ground at the same time. He was sent to prison with an extended term because he proved conventional thought was incorrect.

Finding proof of anything has a tendency of scaring people with solidified belief systems. I can't imagine how much stir would result if aliens landed here on earth. Christians believe humans are the only intelligent creature in the universe. That theory would be instantly smashed.

I was posting elsewhere in a UFO forum the other day. Remember late 2017 when the New York Times posted the UFO article and the actual government videos of UFO's capture by pilots? Part of the reason the government is afraid to release info or really investigate is in the quote below. Knapp is George Knapp, investigative reporter In Las Vegas, and Elizondo part of TTSA, one of the private groups behind the release of the videos and the news story. Skinwalker Ranch is/was part of the UFO investigation, and as seen below some people are really afraid of the paranormal

“They’re basically high-level people in different intelligence agencies who are fundamentalist Christians; who think that anything involving UFOs and the paranormal is satanic,” says Knapp.

“Certain senior government officials thought our collection of facts on Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP) was dangerous to their philosophical beliefs,” Elizondo wrote in a post on Medium. “They decided the data was a threat to their belief system.”

Here's the full article:  https://www.denofgee...ntified-history

Posted Image

#17 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

I'm not strong in UFO investigation or history although I did know about Friedman. I will read your article and I think I'm going to pull out a Skinwalker video given to me when I was staff over at Haunted Voices to review. Thanks for sharing that perspective Vlawde.
Posted Image

#18 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• Guests
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Vlawde. That was an informative site. I am surprised that I was unable to find any websites where people did scientific studies of orbs, in detail. In particular show what type of dust  produces what kind of orb and etc. With so many people into orb photos one would think there would be many sites of investigators producing studies. Maybe that site I had and the dvd are not that good because, if I remember correctly, I think they said colored orbs are all spirits.

EVP I remember being very surprised during my photography class to learn about white balance. I wanted to know which setting showed the 'true' colors. lol.

People are always going to be afraid of that which we do not understand and can become violent and irrational when frightened. That's why the government must keep evidence secret. People also become irrational and violent when they believe their faith has been questioned. They can become so closed-minded that they do not see reason.

Edited by Ladydi, 21 May 2019 - 07:04 PM.

#19 True North

True North

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:30 PM

Personally, even legitimate pictures of 'orbs' aren't all that interesting. There's not much to see after all.

The balls of light that myself and a few others have gotten good looks at were all clearly self-illuminated and appeared to move with purpose/intelligence. None looked to be larger than softball size. Sightings were all outdoors (or one time someone was looking out their window) and occurred beside or within wooded areas. No these were not people with flashlights or anything that looked like a drone etc (again, these are sightings where myself or someone I know got a good look at what we saw, which was just a ball of light moving around on it's own). In most cases it was just one, hovering and/or floating and/or zipping through the air between 4 and 20 feet off of the ground, and in most cases the person seeing felt (at least at some point during the sighting) that it was watching them.

Edited by True North, 21 May 2019 - 11:48 PM.

#20 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• Guests
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:21 AM

True North So are you saying you actually saw it with your eyes, not just on the photograph? That is really interesting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charleston, SC, orb