70 replies to this topic

#1 Tarinya

Tarinya

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'm honestly not sure if this is the right spot or not, if not feel free to move it where it should be.
Anyway, currently watching The Conjuring 2 and was curious what your thoughts are about the Warrens? Do you think they were legitimate?
I know who they are, and have heard of some of their cases, obviously, but I don't know a lot about them. Some of what you see, like in these movies, seems over the top. But, it's a movie so I expect that.

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,703 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

I'm not calling them fakes. But my personal opinion is they exaggerated many things because that's where the money is
Posted Image

#3 The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

I agree with Vlawde and its how i feel

#4 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,638 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

Personally, I love the Warrens.

They were the hero's of their time. Some say they did what they did for fame and money... first of all, what money? If they were paid anything it was for travel and certain expenses that had to be paid in order to do the work. Then there were the workshops, interviews, etc. But in my opinion only to get them by in life. They made some money on their books and why not? They had great knowledge and experience and a few books helped them to share that and give them needed income. And yes, the movie deals were a nice bonus and I think that's great for Lorraine in her later years.

Lorraine spent a lot of time with me on the phone when I was going through a bad haunting. And I will never forget that. And with each call we would also talk about her pet chickens. And I would also share my experiences with my pet chickens from years before. When talking with her, she made be feel like I was part of her family.

George Lutz was the same way. He called me out of the blue one day when I was by myself and waiting in line to tour the Winchester Mystery House (of all places!). I never asked how he obtained my cell phone number. After talking for awhile, he told me I could call him anytime... and I did on occasion. I called once and left a message on his phone and he picked up immediately. He said he would always take my call. And before he died, he said if you're ever in town, come visit. And I regret not taking him up on his offer. And he too, gave me great counsel on my haunting and he was the one that hooked me up with Lorraine Warren.

We had a family here on the forums that were going through a severe haunting and I wrote Lorraine's son-in-law Tony Spera about it. He immediately wrote back and asked me a lot of questions concerning the haunting. And through our correspondence he wrote out what that family needed to do and how the catholic church could help. So my experiences with that family and with George Lutz were all especially good.

As for Ed Warren.... when I corresponded with Lorraine, he was in bad shape health wise and soon died. And if you ask me, I think he was getting to close to the answers and was stopped in his tracks. But that's a story for another day.

Look, I know they weren't perfect and I'm sure they made lots of mistakes. But they also did a lot of good. They constantly took cases that no one else would touch. It was what they dedicated their lives to doing... and I admire them for it. So if anyone wants to find fault with them, I'm sure they'll find plenty of it! But let's weigh the big picture and I think they will come up on top.

Sorry, I'm a bit passionate when it comes to them.
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#5 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

I can't stand them. According to the Warrens absolutely anything that you can't explain is immediately demonic in nature. I call that a load of bull. By their way of thinking, an alien could be standing directly in their face and it would be a demon, not an alien. They are far too closed minded. I do think they accidentally stumbled on some real hauntings, but not on purpose.And I think they faked some stuff to make themselves look better.

Edited by moiraesfate, 08 July 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#6 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

I think they need to be more open with what they've found - the books are great but there's always been talk of proof with all the audio visual things they've captured, and they don't tend to share that as much as I would like.

However having said that I strongly vibe with the Warrens, and have faith that they are legitimate. What I've learnt from Jim on these boards and his experiences with the Warrens has definitely put my mind at ease.

I think there's a bit of a faction of investigators who due to faith are quick to link demonic activity - think about Ralph Sarchie - his style of demonology leans heavily on Catholic teachings. He goes in with state of grace and things like that which are not quite congruent with some of your more 'modern' demonologists, but with everything, there's groups that have their own thoughts and ways of doing things. Doesn't mean its incorrect or wrong, just different.

Interesting that you raise the question about Ed being close to things. I often think the same can be said of Malachi Martin. Hostage to the Devil is an interesting documentary on Netflix that you might want to look into.
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#7 Tarinya

Tarinya

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys :) It's definitely interesting to hear your individual views. Jim, I can see why you would feel the way you do, having had actual contact with Lorraine personally.

I'm always a little skeptical, and cynical maybe, of the investigators. And in this particular instance I mean the t.v. ones. Maybe because I've not done investigations and haven't really had too much in the way of experiences. I can't help but think that they are playing up to the camera's and such. I also think that more and more they are jumping straight to demonic activity. Zak Bagans is a good example. And I noticed it with Amy Allan of The Dead Files too, seemed like more and more of the cases she did were "demonic" or "shadow people".

I'm certainly not discounting or calling anyone fake. I do believe people have experiences. But, I'm also a realist and know that to make money it's easy and tempting to embellish. Makes it hard to weed the real from the not so real.

#8 bellewitch

bellewitch

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

I think on some level they did do some legitimate work. However I agree that a lot of their stories and work was over exaggerated.

#9 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,638 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

Let me just add... Ed Warren was a demonologist. And although he considered all cases, he seemed to focus much of his attention on what would be considered demonic. The reason was, because those good people were in  dire circumstances.

As for the movies... "They were based on real-life experiences.

I don't think anyone ever claimed that everything we saw in the movies were real/true. The movies were embellished by the writers and producer, obviously.  :)

Were the Warren's guilty of fudging the truth on occasion? I don't know... but like Tarinya mentioned, it would be really tempting. So who can say for sure.
Posted Image

#10 Captain Kundalini

Captain Kundalini

Haunted Hollywood Guru

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

I don't know enough about the Warrens to make a decision, so I'm going to leave this one for the pros.

#11 chapsparanormal

chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

I actually hosted the premier of the Conjuring 2 for Warner Bros last year, nerve racking talking to 700 people.

I grew up in the Spiritualist church. My mother was a founder, she had association with Lorraine. Most of the church, they were instructed to stay away. I think it was more the celebrity of it.
I am an investigator, we don't use mediums specifically because I grew up around them and got trained myself. I know most of them are charlatans so I don't bother. My focus is pragmatic.
That said. I know the Warrens were passionate, Their nephew John Zaffis is a class act, always been nice to me.

Productions are productions. The actual source of a story has much less to say about how it is produced than one would think.

In the end, unless you are a demonologist which by nature would be a dramatic trade. You have no idea if they are worth any salt.
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#12 Tarinya

Tarinya

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Chapsparanormal, I had no idea John Zaffis is their nephew!

#13 WhispersInTheAttic

WhispersInTheAttic

Apport

• GS Member
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:anime. films. horror movies. music. playing guitar. video games. books and comics. writing. poetry. art. beaches. nature. photography. swimming. stargazing. the paranormal. graveyards. meditation. crystals, rocks and gemstones.

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

In the beginning I was very fond of them. Now I think they seem to make every case they have a big deal. Do own a book by them and haven't read it yet. I'm skeptical about the cases they do. Than again, I wasn't there-so.

I'm leaving my mind open to this. One thing that's good was that the Wardens always answered their phone and visited people if they needed help.

Posted Image

#14 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:07 AM

Tarinya, I think you'll find that Zak Bagans is appealing to a certain type of audience.... we often joke about him and his show around here hehehe

#15 Tarinya

Tarinya

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

View Postearthlydelites, on 10 July 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

Tarinya, I think you'll find that Zak Bagans is appealing to a certain type of audience.... we often joke about him and his show around here hehehe

I can't use the word here that I refer to him as lol It's not forum appropriate

#16 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,638 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

I think I know just the word you're thinking of, Tarinya.  :D
Posted Image

#17 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,703 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Looks like at age 90, Lorraine is officially retiring. From her FB page:

Posted Image

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
NOTE: LORRAINE WILL STILL MAKE THE OCCASIONAL BRIEF APPEARANCE AT " EVENING WITH ANNABELLE " EVENTS

After an incredible 70 years helping people and dealing with the paranormal, Lorraine Warren has retired. She will no longer do any public appearances nor be involved with any casework. All requests for interviews and "Evenings with Annabelle" should be directed to the head of the New England Society for Psychic Research, Tony Spera. If you are seeking help, please contact Lorraine's grandson, Chris McKinnell. They have a combined experience of 60 years in the field.
Please join us in celebrating the amazing lives of Ed and Lorraine Warren, the greatest demonologists and paranormal investigators of the 20th Century!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,638 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

View PostVlawdeGStudy, on 10 July 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

Looks like at age 90, Lorraine is officially retiring. From her FB page:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
NOTE: LORRAINE WILL STILL MAKE THE OCCASIONAL BRIEF APPEARANCE AT " EVENING WITH ANNABELLE " EVENTS

After an incredible 70 years helping people and dealing with the paranormal, Lorraine Warren has retired. She will no longer do any public appearances nor be involved with any casework. All requests for interviews and "Evenings with Annabelle" should be directed to the head of the New England Society for Psychic Research, Tony Spera. If you are seeking help, please contact Lorraine's grandson, Chris McKinnell. They have a combined experience of 60 years in the field.
Please join us in celebrating the amazing lives of Ed and Lorraine Warren, the greatest demonologists and paranormal investigators of the 20th Century!

Posted Image

A well deserved retirement.  :)
~
Posted Image

#19 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:58 AM

Very well deserved! I hope she enjoys her retirement!

#20 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

I had always REALLY liked Ed and Lorraine Warren.  I found my first copy of "The Demonologist" quite by accident in the corner store of a tiny little town on the NJ / PA border.  I was totally enthralled with it, read it several times in a row, couldn't put it down.  This was in 1980, I believe.  I was 22 years old.

Then The Amityville stuff made the news.  I read everything I could get my hands on and even made several weekend drives out to Long Island to see the house.  Then The Amityville Horror movie came out and it was just unreal trying to reconcile everything in the movie with the events that were said to happen in real life.

Fast forward some 25+ years and the story breaks that The Amityville Horror was a hoax.  And supposedly it was Ed who had given the advice to George Lutz to more or less use your imagination and basically make things up if you want to make money.  There IS an exact quote somewhere of what Ed had said, if anyone wants to read it I will go find it.  Articles came out that say that the priest (Father Mancuso in the book and movie) never had any such things happen to him, the red-eyed pig demon, Jodie, was actually Evinrude, the Siamese cat belonging to the neighbors who would sit on the Lutz's windowsills at night and look into the house.  If light hits the eyes of a blue-eyed cat, the eyeshine will be red.  I have three Siamese cats and see proof of this every time I take their pictures using a flash.  Many other things were said to have not been true according to people who worked on the movie and the actual people that the actors in the movie portrayed.

Then Ed died and Lorraine started to work on her own.  She was pretty much a regular on the cast of Paranormal State, the paranormal investigation show supposedly based at Penn State University starring Ryan Buell.  It was popular for a couple of seasons, of course, everything they found was deemed by Lorraine to be "demonic."

Then Ryan Buell broke with the news that he had pancreatic cancer.  The Paranormal State fan base went nuts with worry.  Of course Lorraine stuck right there with Ryan.  What was so strange was that they were no longer doing Paranormal State because Ryan was sick, and then Ryan Buell and Chad Calek did a movie called American Ghost Hunter that they sold online.  It was like $15 and you could get either a physical copy of it mailed to your house or you could stream it online.  Lorraine hung in there as Ryan's close friend and confidante.  Then it dawned on people that "hey, I ordered 'American Ghost Hunter' like eons ago, my card was charged, and I never got it."  Everyone was promised by Ryan that they would get their movies.  Still Lorraine was Ryan's friend.  Even Chip Coffee bailed out, and he had bailed right before the television show got the axe.  

Then the news broke that Ryan Buell was going to prison.  And he is STILL in prison snd he'll probably stay there for quite a while because the law tends to frown on stealing literally hundreds of thousands of dollars from people.  Because when you collect $15 from all these people and then don't send them their movie, they call it stealing.  And when you use that money to fuel a drug habit the authorities like it even less.   Oh, and it turns out Ryan didn't have cancer either.  If I were Lorraine, you wouldn't have seen me for dust looong before it was discovered that Ryan wasn't really ill, but that's just me.  

But anyway, it was all very disheartening to me to find out that two of what I initially thought were the coolest people EVER, turned out to be people who would do or say whatever they had to in order to make a buck.  It was like having the rug pulled out from under my feet and I was never able to fix that in my head.

I DO like John Zaffis an awful lot, though.  The fact that he is their nephew has no bearing on that.  He is his own person and is successful in the paranormal field in his own right.  I am amazed at the number of people who have no idea he is related to them.  It's almost as though he goes out of his way not to bring that up.  Or maybe that's just me reading something into it that's not there.

Edit to correct neighbor's cat's name.  I wasn't paying attention while I was typing and put the wrong name in.

Edited by Ectoplazzum, 28 July 2017 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users