• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:56 AM

wow that I didn't know. Glad to hear that he at least got caught for the scam he was up to!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#22 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,638 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:17 AM

View PostEctoplazzum, on 23 July 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

Fast forward some 25+ years and the story breaks that The Amityville Horror was a hoax.  And supposedly it was Ed who had given the advice to George Lutz to more or less use your imagination and basically make things up if you want to make money.  

Supposedly?

Well, we do know for sure that Jay Anson took some liberties with the book but that was on him.

Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#23 biblophile

biblophile

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, books art

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostTarinya, on 08 July 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

I'm honestly not sure if this is the right spot or not, if not feel free to move it where it should be.
Anyway, currently watching The Conjuring 2 and was curious what your thoughts are about the Warrens? Do you think they were legitimate?
I know who they are, and have heard of some of their cases, obviously, but I don't know a lot about them. Some of what you see, like in these movies, seems over the top. But, it's a movie so I expect that.
I don't think they are fakes, but I think the movies harm their credibility because they are so over the top. The Conjuring 2 is a case in point. The Warrens were only consultants on the Enfield case, and according to Morse Grosse they spent all of an hour at the Hodgson house. The movie shows them running the investigation. The same can be said for the Amityville case.

#24 Tarinya

Tarinya

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

I guess the one thing I would wonder is, if the Warren's weren't as involved as any of the movies portrayed them to be, why would they allow it to be shown that way? Considering that those things can do more harm than good to their credibility?
I wasn't a fan of Paranormal State, but I do remember that whole thing with Ryan Buell and supposedly having cancer and then finding out he was just a druggie and had been lying. Maybe Lorraine stood by him out of sympathy, hoping to help somehow? Who knows why anyone does the things they do.

#25 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

View PostTarinya, on 24 July 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

I guess the one thing I would wonder is, if the Warren's weren't as involved as any of the movies portrayed them to be, why would they allow it to be shown that way? Considering that those things can do more harm than good to their credibility?
I wasn't a fan of Paranormal State, but I do remember that whole thing with Ryan Buell and supposedly having cancer and then finding out he was just a druggie and had been lying. Maybe Lorraine stood by him out of sympathy, hoping to help somehow? Who knows why anyone does the things they do.

Money. There is reason so many people are so suspicious of them. Many people call them greedy money grabbers. Most of the books written, the people portrayed in the hauntings say they didn't happen remotely the way the Warrens describe it.

#26 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,638 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

Which account was that, Moiraesfate?
Posted Image

#27 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:09 AM

I didn't realise that money was a motivator -  I was under the impression that they didn't charge for their assistance, just for travel expenses?
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#28 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,638 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

I'm sure the producers of the movies in question were really good sale men. They obviously told Lorraine that these experiences needed to be shared with the masses. If not, very few would ever even know it happened. And here's ten million dollars for the first movie plus huge bonuses if it does well. But you must allow us to take some liberties, at our discretion. In other words, to insure it's success. If we can't do that, then no deal. Think of the masses that will appreciate these amazing experiences that you and ED shared together. And led the charge in as an heroic couple! What a waste it would be, if they were not shared with the world. Sign here.  
Posted Image

#29 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

Actually, if you listen to the voice recordings of the youngest De Feo (sp?) he says that most of the story is lies and exaggerations from the Warrens. I heard recordings from him a year or two ago. I can't remember where, so you will have to google it. There are others too but that's the one that comes to mind at the moment since I remember who it was.

Edited by moiraesfate, 26 July 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#30 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 24 July 2017 - 02:17 AM, said:

Supposedly?

Well, we do know for sure that Jay Anson took some liberties with the book but that was on him.

I will find the quote, Jim.  It just knocked the wind out of my sails when I read it because, as I said, I had originally thought that Ed and Lorraine Warren were IT in the paranormal world.  To find that out was kind of like a kid finding out there's no Santa Claus.

#31 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Here is an interesting article, the links take you to some of the court filed documents of, Lutz Vs Weber.  

I am aware of the movie but not versed on the facts behind anything pertaining to the movie

View Postmoiraesfate, on 26 July 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

Actually, if you listen to the voice recordings of the youngest De Feo (sp?) he says that most of the story is lies and exaggerations from the Warrens. I heard recordings from him a year or two ago. I can't remember where, so you will have to google it. There are others too but that's the one that comes to mind at the moment since I remember who it was.

I am confused, do you mean De Feo or Lutz?
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#32 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:03 PM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 26 July 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

Do you mean Christopher, the youngest of the Lutz boys? All the De Foe family are dead, Ronald Joseph "Butch" DeFeo Jr. shot and killed the whole family while they were sleeping.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#33 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:41 PM

OK.  First, Jim, I owe you an apology, I incorrectly stated that Ed Warren had made statements about using The Amityville Horror alleged events as a way to make money.  His statements were, indeed, that events could be basically "invented" and lots of money would be made, however it was in relation to The Conjuring 2 - The Enfield Case.  It seems, though, that very little of what the Warrens claimed about ANY of the cases they worked on had even a passing acquaintance with the truth.  In every article about the Amityville case and subsequent divulgence of it being a hoax, every person who worked on it, when referring to the Warrens, used quotation marks around the words "demonologist" and "clairvoyant". I have several articles that I will post links to tomorrow as it's 1:30 a.m. here right now.  For tonight, however, here is the link to the article on The Conjuring 2 and how Ed Warren tried to get several of the people involved in the investigation to make money with him.

http://weekinweird.c...gated-the-case/

#34 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,638 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:22 AM

I believe I posted the Warrens statement about the Enfield Case here at one time. Or I at least posted a link to it. Their statement differs from some of the others.
Posted Image

#35 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

I meant Christopher Lutz. Sorry, it's been a long cursed week and I've been very distracted. Trying to distract myself from finding out I have to get a full set of dentures by going on here and listening to ghost stories. It isn't working.

Thanks Ectoplazzum.

Edited by moiraesfate, 27 July 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#36 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 27 July 2017 - 01:22 AM, said:

I believe I posted the Warrens statement about the Enfield Case here at one time. Or I at least posted a link to it. Their statement differs from some of the others.

I didn't see that posting.  I do want to say that I don't hate the Warrens.  I don't even really dislike them.  But I no longer trust their words about anything they investigated, and that bothers me because as someone who has been in love with the occult basically since I was old enough to read, it just knocks the wind right out of your sails to learn these things about them.  

It doesn't surprise me that the Warrens' statement about Enfield differs from the statements made by some of the others.  What disturbs me, though, is that the accounts of what really happened are so divided between the Warrens version, and then the version of everyone else.  Normally, if you ask 6 different people for their version of something, you will get 6 different versions.  In this case, you get the version that the Warrens maintain, and the other 5 people have the same version between them.  There is a very clear cut division between the Warrens saying "we did x,y and z" and the others involved merely saying "no, they didn't."  Normally, if someone says something that contains even a shred of the truth, at least SOMEBODY should have said "no, the Warrens did a, b and z."  But this didn't happen.  There was nowhere that their stories even sort of merged together.  There was the Warrens' story and everybody else's version.  It really bothered me that someone I had looked up to for so many years as being the gold standard by which all other investigators were judged turned out to be someone who apparently overinflated their importance and, if need be, out and out lied to insinuate themselves into any big paranormal story they could.
Like I said before, it was like being a kid and finding out there was no Santa Claus.

#37 The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

The Warrens Are Lying (The Conjuring 2, Amityville Horror)  

not my words,name of title of clip.

https://www.youtube....h?v=XUB11kS39KU

Edited by The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again, 27 July 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#38 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostThe_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again, on 27 July 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

The Warrens Are Lying (The Conjuring 2, Amityville Horror)  

not my words,name of title of clip.

https://www.youtube....h?v=XUB11kS39KU

This was basically the taped version of the link I posted last night.  A bit later on I will post the links that I have on the Amityville Horror.  Even Snopes.com researched what was going on and put an article on their site saying that the allegation that the Amityville Horror was based on a true story was False.

#39 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 27 July 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

I meant Christopher Lutz. Sorry, it's been a long cursed week and I've been very distracted. Trying to distract myself from finding out I have to get a full set of dentures by going on here and listening to ghost stories. It isn't working.

Thanks Ectoplazzum.

Hope next week is better Posted Image for you
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#40 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,638 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Okay... first of all, so what if Ed Warren considered the money aspect in his investigations? There's nothing wrong with that in-and-of-itself? I never really knew of them making a lot of money though. But hey, If they could publicize a story and make money from it at the same time, good for them. And If they fudged the story in some of there investigations then that's on them. And they'll have some explaining to do when facing their Maker. Maybe fame went to their heads a bit, I don't know for sure. And I'm certainly not going to believe everything I read or see on the internet.

All I know for sure, is they are heroes, at least in my mind. Ten thousand cases of helping people. And many cases were real and the residents desperate. And the Warrens were the only ones (for the most part) brave enough to show up... and compassionate enough to do some real good. That meant everything to those that they helped. Were they successful in every case? No, because the haunted families/individuals had to do their part. And many weren't willing to do that. People don't change so easily. I remember when my grandfather had lung cancer. And he absolutely had to quit smoking and dedicate himself to a strict regiment. Did he do it? Not at all. Change is hard... and for some almost impossible.

The Warrens did so much good! And... if they did give in to greed at times, I'm sorry. But please don't overlook the good.
I loved listening to Elvis Presley growing up and I deeply admired his talents. but I didn't condone his life style.

I can see that I'm not going to sway anyone to my way of thinking in this sea of controversy... so I will quietly back away from the topic now.  :)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users