Free Skins
© Fisana

A Highland Poltergeist: Tales Of Haunted Houses And Ghosts Are Legion Throughout The Highlands And Islands As Well As Throughout The World.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MacQdor

MacQdor

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:30 AM

Tales of haunted houses and ghosts are legion throughout the Highlands and Islands as well as throughout the world. A storyteller worth his or her salt could by telling a ghost story or other supernatural tales send shivers down an audience’s spine to such an extent that they might have found it difficult to get any sleep at night. The following supernatural anecdote was recorded by Calum Maclean from the recitation of John MacDonald of Highbridge, Brae Lochaber, and transcribed shortly afterwards on the 28th of March 1951:

http://calumimaclean...eist.html?m=1   (got popcorn?)

Enjoy

Keith L.
Attitude is your acceptance of the natural laws, or your rejection of the natural laws

#2 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

Keith, I love old Celtic stories. They're the best to tell or hear by a fire. I corrected some of the punctuation in the story and added the definition of a Bogle.

*  Bogle: noun [boh-guh l, bog-uh l] 1495-1505;  bog (variant of bugbear, hobgoblin) + -le (a noun suffix having originally a diminutive meaning)  

1. a bogy; a specter

Source: Dictionary.com

Donald Ban of the Bogle*

There was a man in Brae Lochaber called Donald Ban of the Bogle. And a Bogle haunted him every single day. Oh, he was up to all lots of bad things. After the Bogle had been haunting him for a while, Donald Ban thought that he would change his residence so that he could finally get rid of it. Oh, but when it came to flit to the new house no one was busier than the Bogle. The pots and all manner of items from the house were being shifted over, but no one was as busy as the Bogle.

Now, this Bogle was no overnight phenomenon but was there for the long haul. He would be there night after night when folk were at home. But there weren’t aware of the Bogle. One night they were at home, but the Bogle was late. Some member of the household said:
“What’s happened to the Bogle tonight since he’s not here?”

The Bogle replied: “The Bogle is here.”

“What kept you so long tonight?”

“Oh, I took a good while going around.”

The goodwife, Donald Ban of the Bogle’s wife, was a MacGregor. She asked her husband: “When will there be another war?”

It was not long after Culloden. And the Bogle said to her: “Aren’t you tired of war, MacGregor?”

And the Bogle was up to no good in many other affairs. Donald Ban of the Bogle said to him: “When may I be allowed to tell of those things that you told me?”

“Well,” the Bogle said to him, “I’ll tell you that three days before you die and then you may relate those things.”

Well, three days before Donald Ban of the Bogle died he lost his power of speech and was unable to relate those things.

Another time a couple of priests visited the house. And the goodwife began to prepare food for them, and she went to take butter in to put on the table. And it didn’t appear for ages and ages. One of the priests knew what had happened. “You take in what you have. There’s nothing on it."

She saw that the butter was sullied but the priests' bit was fine and there was nothing wrong with it.
There was one other thing. An orphan lodged in the house. And the Bogle thought that the orphan was not getting his fare share as the rest of the children. When the food was placed on the table, the Bogle used to take the food from the other children’s mouths and would place it on the orphan’s plate.

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 07 August 2017 - 01:09 PM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#3 MacQdor

MacQdor

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Thank you very much.

I find it fascinating as well.
Attitude is your acceptance of the natural laws, or your rejection of the natural laws

#4 Tarinya

Tarinya

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

I love these types of stories! I have a couple of books of such. I think I have an Irish one, and a Scottish one. A couple of others with similar stories in them. Thanks for the share!!

#5 MacQdor

MacQdor

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

Good morning

if any of your stories are in digital form please feel free to share it.  or email me privately.  it's helps with my study

Thanks

KL

#6 Tarinya

Tarinya

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

View PostMacQdor, on 08 August 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

Good morning

if any of your stories are in digital form please feel free to share it.  or email me privately.  it's helps with my study

Thanks

KL

Tried to send you a PM but it said you couldn't receive any new messages

#7 MacQdor

MacQdor

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

Let me try to email you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users