26 replies to this topic

#1 sherinator

sherinator

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hi Everyone,

This is something I've thought about for the last year, but I've never research it, I've preferred to think about my own experience in the subject.

When I first joined this forum, I was looking for help on a haunting at our house, one which followed us when we moved across the country. Things would move, we'd find things in odd places that weren't there a few minutes previously and we'd hear footsteps.

However, once I was diagnosed with severe depression and began treatment for it, which I am still going through, the activity stopped. I don't live alone, I have my wife with me and she also experienced the activity. The doctor suggested that I had been suffering with my depression for years, something my wife agreed on, before I went to him for help. Now, as the activity started after my wife and I did an EVP session very close to Pendle Hill in Lancashire and got some great responses, but has now stopped now I have recognised my mental illness and I'm having treatment for it; Can spirits/ghosts and the like be more easily attracted to those with mental illness and negative thoughts?

What do you think?

#2 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

I haven't done a ton of research on the subject, but from what I do know and understand, mental illness, depression, etc, goes seem to attract supernatural beings, particularly the negative types, which I will label here as entities. My mother suffered with bi-polar depression all her life and she was constantly attracting negative beings into our home. And many that have written me over the years with a haunting have admitted to having depression, mental illness or simply being mentally unstable.  

I also see it a lot with those suffering with addictions as well. Alcoholism, drugs, and believe it or not sexual addictions.

I know this will be a controversial topic, so I will leave it at that.
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#3 kevinscan

kevinscan

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    friends
    horror & sci-fi
    a good mystery
    Star Wars

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

Not sure on this one.

My wife suffers from depression,
her sister is bi-polar
and my best friend has manic depression, but non of them have experienced anything paranormal.
Posted Image

The most sophisticated computer ever  devised by mankind is now called Stonehenge.

#4 Tarinya

Tarinya

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

Mental illness is difficult. It manifests differently for everyone. For myself, I'm currently being treated for depression/anxiety. Though that has been off and on and I've really had this since I was a teen, just not diagnosed. Anyway, personally I've had a couple of experiences, but nothing ongoing. One was while I was going through a period of extreme stress, but another happened on just a regular day.
I do think that our mental state affects how open we are, how we view events that happen to us. I also believe that OUR mental state affects the people around us. Though it's certainly not just people with mental illnesses who have paranormal experiences.

#5 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

I don't have depression, any mental illness that I am aware of or have negative thoughts and I seem to have had my fair share of activity.

Who knows maybe the medication used to treat these conditions are more likely to reduce or block the spirit activity and it isn't an illnesses in many cases.

I am sure in the past many people without mental illnesses were being wrongfully treated!
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#6 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:40 AM

View Postkevinscan, on 28 August 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Not sure on this one.

My wife suffers from depression,
her sister is bi-polar
and my best friend has manic depression, but non of them have experienced anything paranormal.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but individuals with those types of conditions are more susceptible. But the individual would have to be a willing and receptive target for that to ever happen. Apparently, those in your family have their defenses up... and that's good!

And I'm pretty sure manic depression and bi-polar are the same.
Posted Image

#7 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:50 AM

I think its an interesting term to use - manifestation - perhaps some activity can be attributed to a manifestation of energy that you're experiencing, and it wanes when your treatment is occurring?
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#8 kevinscan

kevinscan

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    friends
    horror & sci-fi
    a good mystery
    Star Wars

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:26 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 29 August 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

I'm not saying it's going to happen but individuals with those types of conditions are more susceptible. But the individual would have to be a willing and receptive target for that to ever happen. Apparently, those in your family have their defenses up... and that's good!

And I'm pretty sure manic depression and bi-polar are the same.  Click Here

Yes, your right, they are the same.I think  bi-polar is the modern term.
I was just saying that these people haven't had any  paranormal experiences, but others may have had some.
Posted Image

The most sophisticated computer ever  devised by mankind is now called Stonehenge.

#9 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:32 AM

Well, it's always best not to have the paranormal experiences IMO.  :)
Posted Image

#10 Snickers

Snickers

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:16 AM

Interesting! I do not have a mental illness, but my adult son who lives with me does. The ghost who lived with us for years showed itself equally to both of us. We would both experience the same things. My son didn't hear or see any manifestations that I didn't see too, or hear, or experience. So from my perspective, one with mental illness, one without, had the same experiences. Doesn't mean ghosts aren't attracted to those with mental illness more, so who knows? This is just my experience.
Don't tell me that I didn't see what I saw, or didn't hear what I heard.......Snickers

#11 jwc

jwc

Orb

• GS Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

I think it is possible, that any kind of illness can make a person more open to a haunting. Case in point the lad with cancer in the haunting in Connecticut case

#12 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

View PostSnickers, on 29 August 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

Interesting! I do not have a mental illness, but my adult son who lives with me does. The ghost who lived with us for years showed itself equally to both of us. We would both experience the same things. My son didn't hear or see any manifestations that I didn't see too, or hear, or experience. So from my perspective, one with mental illness, one without, had the same experiences. Doesn't mean ghosts aren't attracted to those with mental illness more, so who knows? This is just my experience.

Like I said... it's not always the case in every instance. I was just saying that they are more susceptible, IMO. * Others results may vary. *

My theory is that those with certain types of mental conditions may find themselves alone more that the average part of the population and because of that, they are more open to "visits". But that's just my theory.
Posted Image

#13 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

I've never had any paranormal experiences and despite what people keep thinking no mental illnesses here :no:

That said my thought s are that if ghosts exist they probably are attracted to people in the same way that people are attracted to others. No not in a Hey your cute kinda way, though that's also a possibility, but like the way popular kids hang together, as do the geeks and rabble roses. Then their are the creeps looking for an easy victim, like pedophiles or muggers and rapists who all look for particular characteristics including vulnerability.

My point is "mental illness" is probably less of a ghost attractant and more of a characteristic that some entities look for. At least that's my thoughts :yes:
- siguie -

#14 sherinator

sherinator

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of responses to the thread. Obviously, I never expected everyone with mental illness to have experienced anything paranormal, as a couple of posts seem to think I was suggesting, I was merely going from my own experiences and I was/am very interested to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

For me, I definitely think that it was attracted to my negative state of mind and my treatment is stopping it drawing energy from that.

#15 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

Negativity, contention, evil thoughts, etc. can certainly attract entities.

I don't think everyone with a Mental illness experiences the paranormal... but they are vulnerable in my opinion.  ;)
Posted Image

#16 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

Agree Jim, it's not a sure thing but maybe a causal relationship?

#17 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

There's plenty of dogmatic belief throughout the paranormal community including a connection with mental illness, depression etc. There has never been a clinical study and there likely never will be anything held with any clear connection of the two because the scientific community will never acknowledge the paranormal.

The jury is out in my opinion but I have to agree that the only consistency with the paranormal in "inconsistency".

Edited by EVP, 30 August 2017 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#18 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

EVP, on 30 August 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

The jury is out in my opinion but I have to agree that the only consistency with the paranormal in "inconsistency".

Well put :)
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#19 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:16 AM

Good way of explaining it EVP :D

#20 sherinator

sherinator

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

Hi,

I've been struggling with my mental illness this past week and my doctor has increased my medication, I've also been off work with it. During this past week, whilst I've been, as I call it, "in the darkness", my wife's wedding ring started moving around. It's never where she left it before going to bed, which was one of the things that would happen before my diagnosis and treatment. My doctor told me that it will take a couple of weeks for the increased treatment to start working, so it'll be interesting to see if the activity will cease again once it kicks in.

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ghosts, hauntings, mental illess, depression, activity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users