• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 EmeraldFaerie

EmeraldFaerie

Demon

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Reading, painting, gardening, movies, music, chatting, computer, baking, floral arrangment, spending time with my family.

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

I definitely agree with RoseIsRain and LordDraven. Just because most orbs are dust or moisture or something doesn't mean they ALL are, and some people are much too quick to ignore things that could be important. Same goes for motion blur in my opinion. Some write off motion blur, but there is nothing saying that there can't be something WITHIN the motion blur.

#22 jebedunk

jebedunk

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

Well, if you guys want photographic proof of ghosts, then you need to get this GhostFinder Camera!

laugh.gif

Kidding, of course, although I totally wanna get that thing just to see what it does.  Its been sitting in my bookmarks folder for awhile. I didn't know it was unlisted now, I hope I can find it on another site just for kicks.  Maybe I'll feel crazy enough to fork out the cash for it soon.  Although, I of course wouldn't do what they suggest and lie about the photos. I'm sure the photos are quite comical though.

But yeah, count me in on the no-orb thing.  And I personally have never had an experience with the paranormal.  So I'm sort of just.. really curious about it all.  There are people who have relayed stories to me, and I trust those people 100%. I just wish I could have my own experience. I'm sure I will eventually.  But most of the time when I bring it up around friends and stuff I get a chuckle and no one else wants to talk about it.  But every now and then you find a person who has had a very intriguing experience and that's what keeps me going.  It's hard trying to determine an opinion with all the stuff online.  Not only are there tons of websites to visit, but so many people know how to manipulate video/photo/audio that you really have to be careful what you believe from strangers online. I'm sure we all know that by now.  So until I have my own experience, I just take in as much as I can about the field. It's extremely interesting nonetheless.

#23 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,530 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:16 AM

I think most of the "orb" phenomenon is a combination of

1) tv shows :  some people go on tv and start pointing at dust orbs in their photos and suddenly orbs are noticed and perceived as ghostly by the general public.  Who just didn't really notice them before.

2) Digital cameras: a) they're really small (no need for a film compartment) and the flash is close to the lens.  (more likely to get orbs)
...... cool.gif Instant gratification, you see your photo right away...
.......c) no film to buy, worry about wasting, and no (or low) processing costs
.......d) because of b & c, MORE people are taking many many more photos than they ever did before,
  and because of #1 are noticing more details/glitches in photos, and expecting them to be something.

In the 60s I was trying to get some "ghost photos" in the woods around my parents' home and got yelled at for wasting film...
Now if a 12 yr old takes 100 photos on the digicam it's not a big deal.  Just shooting photos at parties or performances, I used to be limited by the amount of film I could afford to have processed.... now I can easily take 200+ photos without second guessing the use of the film.

#24 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,809 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(trin @ Dec 22 2007, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think most of the "orb" phenomenon is a combination of

1) tv shows :  some people go on tv and start pointing at dust orbs in their photos and suddenly orbs are noticed and perceived as ghostly by the general public.  Who just didn't really notice them before.
2) Digital cameras: a) they're really small (no need for a film compartment) and the flash is close to the lens.  (more likely to get orbs)
...... cool.gif Instant gratification, you see your photo right away...
.......c) no film to buy, worry about wasting, and no (or low) processing costs
.......d) because of b & c, MORE people are taking many many more photos than they ever did before,
  and because of #1 are noticing more details/glitches in photos, and expecting them to be something.

In the 60s I was trying to get some "ghost photos" in the woods around my parents' home and got yelled at for wasting film...
Now if a 12 yr old takes 100 photos on the digicam it's not a big deal.  Just shooting photos at parties or performances, I used to be limited by the amount of film I could afford to have processed.... now I can easily take 200+ photos without second guessing the use of the film.

I agree. I'm just about at the point where I think unless you can see an orb with your own eyes, you might as well toss it out. People WANT to see or find something paranormal, so they latch on to any orb pic as evidence.
Posted Image

#25 EmeraldFaerie

EmeraldFaerie

Demon

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Reading, painting, gardening, movies, music, chatting, computer, baking, floral arrangment, spending time with my family.

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Dec 22 2007, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. I'm just about at the point where I think unless you can see an orb with your own eyes, you might as well toss it out. People WANT to see or find something paranormal, so they latch on to any orb pic as evidence.

If orbs don't exist as proof of paranormal phenomena as the OP stated, then what is the point? You can't see something with your own eyes that supposedly doesn't exist.
Of course people want evidence, otherwise sites like this wouldn't be around at all. People are looking for answers. They wouldn't come here and share their pics if they weren't. And there is a LOT of confusion on orbs especially. Most of you think they are nothing, but there ARE people who have different views and ideas. Those who are just starting out, aren't familiar with them, don't know who to believe.

#26 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE(EmeraldFaerie @ Dec 22 2007, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If orbs don't exist as proof of paranormal phenomena as the OP stated, then what is the point? You can't see something with your own eyes that supposedly doesn't exist.

Good question.  I suppose the compromise would be that orbs can be seen with the naked eye if they are bundles of energy--which may or may not be ghostly in origin.  

Jason from TAPS likes to describe orbs as balls of energy (or something to that effect) that are not necessarily ghosts.  Fair enough, I suppose.  I still think that some orbs may be manifestations of ghosts, but that we will probably never know for sure since it is so easy to capture a false positive orb on camera.

#27 Porcelain

Porcelain

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal interests include: Legends, poltergeists, spirits, spirit photography, urban myth, creatures, evps, horror/thriller movies.<br /><br />Other interests: Poetry, writing, painting, drawing, music, sleeping, alcohol, gaming, shopping, clubbing.

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:37 AM

Don't get me wrong. I've seen a few pictures where orbs have caught my attention, due to their unusual form, mass, colour or shape. But I'd say 90% of 'orb' photos are explainable, and a waste of time.

I am highly opinionated when it comes to orbs, and I do not mean to offend with my views. That's just me being grumpy beyond my years.

#28 bickolette

bickolette

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:28 AM

but but ..... Evette Fielding says Orbs are real and everything. Picture 518.gif
You mean to say that they are not and I have fooled by television.

goodness gracious me.
Darn and blast it. crazy.gif
Posted Image

#29 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,809 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE(Porcelain @ Jan 3 2008, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't get me wrong. I've seen a few pictures where orbs have caught my attention, due to their unusual form, mass, colour or shape. But I'd say 90% of 'orb' photos are explainable, and a waste of time.

I am highly opinionated when it comes to orbs, and I do not mean to offend with my views. That's just me being grumpy beyond my years.

Hehe you and me both!  I've posted multiple websites that show dust/lint/moisture orb pictures to show that the majority of orb pics are indeed just airborn debris. And countless photography sites and professional photrographers.....who KNOW what causes most photographic anomalies...have a good laugh at those who think they are spirits.

Posted Image

#30 Stacy

Stacy

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is my children! But I am interested in all things paranormal. Ghost hunting is my favorite hobby!!

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:24 PM

I don't think, no matter how real any of us believe's our evidence to be, no one beside's those of us whom were lucky enough to experience it at the time, will ever consider anything we offer true unexplainable evidence.  After all, what is our first instinct as researchers?  To debunk everything we find!

Even if the ghost himself stood there letting you video tape him in full form, telling his name, age, etc., only those of you who witnessed it would ever believe it to be true.  Because after all, if its too good to be true (actual evidence), no one beside's yourselve's will ever see it as you do.

No matter how real the evidence, it will never be considered as such by the general population.

Stacy

#31 Guest_ellsbeth_*

Guest_ellsbeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(bickolette @ Jan 4 2008, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but but ..... Evette Fielding says Orbs are real and everything. Picture 518.gif
You mean to say that they are not and I have fooled by television.

goodness gracious me.
Darn and blast it. crazy.gif

I know, I was hoping they were Faeries---sniff---

#32 Claire

Claire

Living Dead

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • Interests:Photography, painting and ghosthunting!

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

May I say just one thing in defense of orbs?  Okay, now, don't throw spaghetti noodles at me.  It is MY belief that, yes, many orbs we capture on film ARE indeed, dust, water, what have ya.  It is ALSO my belief that there ARE true orbs.  That orbs are the basic form a spirit takes on.  Are orbs boring?  Absolutely!  Are other people's orbs boring?  No question!  

Our team has decided that we are allowed to enjoy our own orbs (oooh, that didn't sound very good)...after all, orbs ARE in the eye of the beholder.  And, now be honest, if you are investigating a haunted house and you take a photo of a room that is supposed to be active and you capture an orb....aren't you just a little bit proud of the orb you, yourself captured?  Or am I wrong?

Orbs are definitely NO proof of a haunting.  My take is that IF it IS indeed a true orb, there is no telling WHO'S orb it is.  It COULD be your great Aunt Sissy following you around the spooky investigate.gif  cemetery making sure you are okay.

So, yes, I believe there ARE such things as orbs but since there is no way to know for absolute sure if its a true spirit orb or dust or your great Aunt Sissy, its not very impressive and definitely can NOT be classified as evidence.

But, I will always entitle myself to enjoy my own orbs regardless of what you guys say....so THERE!  th_sarcastic_blum.gif  he...he...    Yeah, that still didn't sound very good.  Picture 524.GIF
Posted Image
"We all go a little mad sometimes."  Norman Bates

#33 Porcelain

Porcelain

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal interests include: Legends, poltergeists, spirits, spirit photography, urban myth, creatures, evps, horror/thriller movies.<br /><br />Other interests: Poetry, writing, painting, drawing, music, sleeping, alcohol, gaming, shopping, clubbing.

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:58 AM

I enjoy my own orbs.
Frequently.

#34 Claire

Claire

Living Dead

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • Interests:Photography, painting and ghosthunting!

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

LOL!!!!!!!!!! th_2140.gif

I think it is the right of every paranormal investigator to be closet orb-likers.
Posted Image
"We all go a little mad sometimes."  Norman Bates

#35 shonalynn

shonalynn

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Interests:Nachos, beer, football.

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(Porcelain @ Jan 11 2008, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I enjoy my own orbs.
Frequently.

Okay...now you sit in time out!!  ohmy.gif

I, personally, hate orbs.
I'm on Facebook!

#36 Sly-Spectre

Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(shonalynn @ Jan 11 2008, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay...now you sit in time out!!  ohmy.gif

I, personally, hate orbs.

Fine THEN! YOU CAN'T HAVE MY ORBS!

personally, photos of orbs to me are unimpressive with very few exceptions , the orb is Oblong, makes a trail rather than look like it's floating there, or it shows something in it, like a face. When people see it with their eyes I definately give it some weight. Those who pass it off as just "balls of energy" I normally say okay, "if that's just it, then reproduce it!" Balls of energy in someone house is not normal to me, it takes ALOT to produce a visual stable ball of energy and although it's possible, it's unlikely that household appliances generate it.

That's just my theory, I could be wrong.
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
Jessie thought for a moment, his face expressionless as usual.
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

-Excerpt from my short story "Stabbed in the Front."

#37 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

You guys are too funny  innocent0005.gif

I agree with Stacy
and Claire.

Peace~
Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#38 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,809 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Thing with "faces" is, that is the common appearance of a dust orb...that cell like structure. And like clouds, the human mind tries to make it into a pattern. Personally i don't believe true orbs have faces, I think theya re energy discharges or byproducts of activity. I've made several posts her with several good links showing and explaining the whole phenomena
Posted Image

#39 onyx_angel

onyx_angel

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:writing, music, art, movies, paranormal, photoshop

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

I would still believe but then again I'm more of a faith person than a cold hard facts person.  My experiences are enough for me, I know what I've seen and thats all I need.  I think the only way to sway my opinion would be to have some scooby doo moment, and the ghost was Farmer McGee....and I would have gotten away with it if it were for you meddling kids.
foolish consistancy is the hobogoblin of little minds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users