98 replies to this topic

#81 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

Conan Doyle was not quite as clever as his character, Sherlock.

It's pretty easy to fake those pictures, even using older darkroom techniques.  I have seen what the creative minds of teenagers can dream up, even using very crude pinhole cameras with photo paper as "film."  They managed to invent pretty cool looking "ghost pictures."  

Part of the deception counts on the lack of understanding of the audience as to how these things might be done.  The lack of sophistication of the Cottingley viewers, and the complete ignorance as to how any picture could be manipulated at all was necessary to ensure that the deception worked.

For all we know, it might not have even started out as an attempt to fool people, but more of a fun idea to try.

There is a modern day correllation.  The myth of the dust orb being paranormal is pretty deeply embedded in popular understanding, even though it is well documented that this is an artifact caused by natural means.

Edited by DarkShadow, 08 April 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#82 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostDarkShadow, on 08 April 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

There is a modern day correllation.  The myth of the dust orb being paranormal is pretty deeply embedded in popular understanding, even though it is well documented that this is an artifact caused by natural means.

Very true, and modern Conan Doyles who use their fame to declare orbs paranormal despite all evidence to the contrary
Who you gonna call?

#83 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Apparently, I'm an orb on this forum.  Amusing.

#84 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostPortlandGhosts, on 09 April 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

You and me both DarkShadow. I feel ashamed.

I'm sure that's no "reflection" on you personally.   :)

#85 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Not to worry, PortlandGhosts, you have now posted enough to have graduated to the title of "Apport".    ^_^

#86 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,455 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostPortlandGhosts, on 08 April 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

That show My Ghost Story Caught on Camera is absolutely horrible with their dust orbs. As far as I know they're the only program trying to sell the dust as a spirit sham and they're shameless about it.

Oh jeez, tell me about it. I admit to watching it, and also to yelling at the TV when people produce dust pics and they all say the same thing.."this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that spirits are present"   It kind of is the dumbing down of the general public when it comes to the paranormal
Posted Image

#87 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

What's left me sad about all these "OMG! look at all the Orbs!" shows... is that it's got people sometimes VERY Scared about nothing.
there was one episode of a show, where the family moved something like 3 - 4 times because of getting orbs in their photos, and videotaping their kids sleeping and seeing "things" (mostly dust orbs and cat hair)... and being terrified of "something following us, we don't know what to do..."

there seemed to be very little of anything outside of the capturing of the orbs, nothing really strange, just the odd creaks in the night, and small kids having nightmares, which are also normal.
but here's this very scared family, breaking their lease and moving , and moving, and moving... and that can't be good for the kids.

With "My ghost story", if it weren't for the orb photos, they'd not have enough material for a show.
maybe once in awhile they get something interesting, (not even for sure paranormal, but something I'd want a further look at) and it's given the same level of attention as the orbs, but is show so much less often.  (because face it, a weird shadow in a windowless basement is much more rare than the "orbs

Dark Shadows and Portland: there's also an incredible range of fun/ghostly effects that can be done "in camera" without doing anything fancy in the darkroom.  Many of these effects are used to good effect often in Art Photography without any intent to make an intentional "ghost photo".

Also we KNOW  how they did the fairy photos, and it was even easier than doing a "montage" (inserting the dead soldier into the negative of the rest of his family and making a print from that) or even "retouching" (usually something like making dust marks disappear or clearing up someone's acne)...
The girls, much much later, described making paper cut outs, with drawings copied out of books, standing them up on hairpins, and then posing one of themselves into the photo for the other to snap the picture.

Edited by trin, 11 April 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#88 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

Posted Image

I posted this elsewhere, but I could say "Look at all the orbs! This place is crawling with ghosts!" The area has historical significence envolving the American Civil War. But these are not "ghosts". Dust, insects, or even reflections off the river are far more likely. Orbs are poor evidence at best and outright lunacy at the other end of the ghost evidence spectrum!

God Bless

Graves

Edited by MortimerGraves, 12 April 2013 - 04:58 AM.

Who you gonna call?

#89 chips1310

chips1310

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:All things spooky

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

I have to agree with many posts here regarding orbs. When looking through sites and i see a heading like " Large orb in picture" etc etc, i never bother to look. When the TV show Most Haunted first came to our screens here in the Uk they always made a big deal of capturing orb footage and tried to pass it off as actual paranormal activity. Because of the likes of MH and other such programs/sites there really has been a sharp rise in hysteria concerning normal everyday photos which may produce light reflection/dust particles/dampness/insects the list is endless. Some people really just want to believe that they have captured something paranormal too much.

I once tried an experiment on another site, in a dark room i shook an old cushion then took a couple of pictures quickly with a cheap mobile phone then posted the results. I got all sorts of replys but mainly from people believing my house to be haunted, some even thought they could make out faces in the "orbs". I left it for about a week before coming clean, but some were still convinced i had captured a ghost. Sadly the pictures dont exsist anymore,i removed them from the site and the old comp they were stored in crashed where i lost all my data (or did the spirits make that happen ^_^ )
Ignorance is refusing to believe what we dont understand

#90 Sinohmi

Sinohmi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

I also belive photograped orbs will end in some sort of debris or insect as the culprit. I am curious on what everyone thinks about visible orbs that are seen with the naked eye? Is it just a build up of atmospheric energy? I have read some sites referring to them as a small form of ball lightning. The reason I ask it the my wife and myself while taking one of our many trips to the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA  have only ever seen 1 so-called orb that was about the size of a dime and yellowish in color. It moved about 3-4 feet along a copper pipe then made a 45 turn and went straight up the edge of a ladder about another 3 feet and faded into oblivion. Something tells me the copper pipe had a part in the whole thing but not quite sure. Does anyone have experience with visible orbs? If so what was your conclusion? Thank you.

Edited by Sinohmi, 12 April 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#91 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Visible light anomalies (orbs). Taken in my office on night vision security cams.

#92 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Sinohmi, and CDS, this is the very problem I have been talking about in another thread here.  "Orb" is this little word that is used to cover a lot of different things - so we get into this confused discussion about orbs not being paranormal ever.

Dust artifacts are not paranormal.  But dust artifacts do not glow and follow copper piping, then jut off at a 45º angle.  And dust particles don't appear and disappear (glowing again) into someones body.  Sometimes, these can be insects captured reflecting the video light source.

But if they are seen as glowing round things with the naked eye; are moving in erratic patterns; or seem to go into solid objects and out the other side, then these are possibly paranormal in nature.

We must stop lumping these two different things together.  They are different.

#93 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

View PostCDS, on 12 April 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

Visible light anomalies (orbs). Taken in my office on night vision security cams.

One problem that I have with this video is that the person seems to know just where to stand, they get into position and pose there. I couldn't say how this was done, but I would have to seriously question this as evidence. It could be, but I have reservations that just won't go away after watching it multiple times.
Who you gonna call?

#94 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

Really? Well, it's me standing there and I cut this out of hours of security footage. I can send you as much video before or after the light anomalies that you might want to see. I will tell you I was watching TV I started to exit (took one step) then changed my mind and stepped back.

#95 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

It doesn't look questionable to me.  I think it's a very interesting capture, indeed.

#96 MortimerGraves

MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

CDS

Hello. Don't take issue with me questioning the evidence, I only said what I was seeing. Since I am hardly a pro at this stuff, my opinion shouldn't worry you. And as I have always told people never to back down on what they believe to be truth. Personal experience always beats any examination of evidence by an outside source. Best of luck in your further paranormal endeavors.

God bless

Graves

Edited by MortimerGraves, 17 April 2013 - 06:35 AM.

Who you gonna call?

#97 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostMortimerGraves, on 17 April 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

CDS

Hello. Don't take issue with me questioning the evidence, I only said what I was seeing. Since I am hardly a pro at this stuff, my opinion shouldn't worry you. And as I have always told people never to back down on what they believe to be truth. Personal experience always beats any examination of evidence by an outside source. Best of luck in your further paranormal endeavors.

God bless

Graves

I don't take offense. thanks for your input, that's why I posted it. IF it would help I would provide more... that's all. :thanks:

#98 Angelicus

Angelicus

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:I have an interest in all aspects of the paranormal and love reading & watching stuff about UFOs, reincarnation, Hauntings, ghosts, Spiritual realms, psychics, the After Life, Near Death Experiences (NDE), have an interest in other stuff like fairies, elves, Moth Man and more. I love playing MMO games, watching most sorts of movies, and love the band Disturbed. I like all sorts of music really. I'm absolutely addicted to watching The Ghost Adventures.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostCDS, on 12 April 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

A very interesting capture.  Thank you for sharing.  If you capture anymore or have had any other paranormal experiences, please feel free to share them with us. :)

#99 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,455 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

I love these classic photos!  We are still having issues with YouTube links, which is why no videos are viewable. The bossman has a ticket into the board folks for some issues, including this one. Hopefully we'll have some news this upcoming week (short week with Thanksgiving, so we'll see)
Posted Image