Free Skins
© Fisana

Jump to content


What Is Your Secret Passion?


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guardian

Guardian

    Cold Spot

  • GS Member
  • 11 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft Wayne, IN
  • Interests:Lake life, golf, reading.

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:42 PM

Everyone has something they enjoy that they don’t talk about. Maybe it’s nerdy, maybe it’s something no one else is in to, maybe you’re somewhat embarrassed. What is your secret passion and why do you keep it quiet?

Mine is Lionel trains.  My grandfather bought his first set new in 1947.  He had them his entire life, collecting and expanding his little world as time and money allowed.  It was never very fancy, but it suited him just fine.  When I was a little guy, grandpa always took me to train shows and shops to see what was out there.  He always bought me lunch to keep me from telling grandma how much we spent. Now that they are both gone, I have inherited his collection. I have spent a considerable amount of time and a small chunk of money to get his equipment restored and add to it, roughly doubling the size of the collection.

Why don’t I discuss it?  There is a shop about 15 minutes from my house.  At 41, I am the youngest customer in there every.  Single.  Time.  People my age don’t seem to be attached to stuff like this.  I am not embarrassed of it, I just have anyone to really discuss it with.  Thank goodness for message boards!

#2 AstridParanormal_Scotland

AstridParanormal_Scotland

    False Positive

  • GS Member
  • 5 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Glasgow, Scotland
  • Interests:ITC Research, Wicca, Earth Magick, Ghosts, Healing crystals, Paranormal entities, Psychic abilities

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:30 AM

My secret passion is being a practicing wiccan! I'm far too scared to go public with it because i dont want something so special to me to potentially ruin friendships and family relations.

#3 Guardian

Guardian

    Cold Spot

  • GS Member
  • 11 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft Wayne, IN
  • Interests:Lake life, golf, reading.

Posted 19 September 2021 - 04:21 PM

View PostAstridParanormal_Scotland, on 19 September 2021 - 06:30 AM, said:

My secret passion is being a practicing wiccan! I'm far too scared to go public with it because i dont want something so special to me to potentially ruin friendships and family relations.

I understand why you keep it to yourself. People are scared of things that they don’t understand instead of opening up their minds!

#4 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • 2,756 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Beaufort, NC
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:19 PM

My sis-in-law is Wiccan. I am so intrigued by the concept, the practice.  When I ask her 'to show me' she tells me in such a loving way 'You're not ready' but gives me little pieces of information.  I do not know if I am supposed to put it all together or not, but I try to.  I LOVE Lionel trains!! Making the tiny little towns, that have an 'All Aboard ' station, a train depot.  People going all over, I wander what they think and are they excited by their endeavors?  I would be.  And the little trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if I could go back and do life over - it would be in the field of Archeology  - just think spending days alone excavating what was. That is my passion along with GS.  The Paranormal, the unknown.
Great topic guys!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

#5 ParanormalEmpath

ParanormalEmpath

    Ectoplasm

  • GS Member
  • 112 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Interests:Spirit, Empathic abilities, Clairvoyance, Mediums & other paranormal topics

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:04 PM

As the sands in my hour glass are flowing towards empty... my secret passion has turned toward trying to find the inner peace that I couldn't achieve as a young man.  It took almost a lifetime to get my priorities straight.  Now I enjoy making someone smile whether I give them something, make them laugh, help them do something or give a shoulder to lean or cry on.  Now that I finally have recognized that I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot... I think I might be finally getting there :kiss:   But of course, I like electric trains too... so who doesn't like those??? :bunny:

#6 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

    Forum Manager

  • Root Admin
  • 6,411 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:37 AM

My secret passion is PS but then that isn't much of a secret :rofl: I think it is learning something new every day :yes: and my family :heart:

Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter


#7 Guardian

Guardian

    Cold Spot

  • GS Member
  • 11 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft Wayne, IN
  • Interests:Lake life, golf, reading.

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:20 AM

View PostMichelleGStudy, on 19 September 2021 - 07:19 PM, said:

My sis-in-law is Wiccan. I am so intrigued by the concept, the practice.  When I ask her 'to show me' she tells me in such a loving way 'You're not ready' but gives me little pieces of information.  I do not know if I am supposed to put it all together or not, but I try to.  I LOVE Lionel trains!! Making the tiny little towns, that have an 'All Aboard ' station, a train depot.  People going all over, I wander what they think and are they excited by their endeavors?  I would be.  And the little trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if I could go back and do life over - it would be in the field of Archeology  - just think spending days alone excavating what was. That is my passion along with GS.  The Paranormal, the unknown.
Great topic guys!!!!!!!!

Who knows if we are all supposed to understand things like that.  I mean, just as some people experience paranormal encounters frequently and others literally never do, I feel like not everything is meant to be shared by everyone.

When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time running the trains.  Now, I get more enjoyment out of track layout, wiring, etc., while my nephews run them.

View PostParanormalEmpath, on 19 September 2021 - 09:04 PM, said:

As the sands in my hour glass are flowing towards empty... my secret passion has turned toward trying to find the inner peace that I couldn't achieve as a young man.  It took almost a lifetime to get my priorities straight.  Now I enjoy making someone smile whether I give them something, make them laugh, help them do something or give a shoulder to lean or cry on.  Now that I finally have recognized that I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot... I think I might be finally getting there :kiss:   But of course, I like electric trains too... so who doesn't like those??? :bunny:

Inner peace...you find the secret, let me know!  Actually, I feel like each of us has our own secret to happiness.  When the cliche line "what's the meaning of life?" is asked, I don't think each of us should have the same answer.  And the cause of inner peace is the same.  We all have our own peace!

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 20 September 2021 - 12:37 AM, said:

My secret passion is PS but then that isn't much of a secret :rofl: I think it is learning something new every day :yes: and my family :heart:

PS is something for all of us!  LOL  Family is a great passion!

#8 Gothickangel

Gothickangel

    Gothickangel.ca

  • GS Member
  • 112 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London, ON, Canada
  • Interests:Blogging, Shamanisn, The Occult (studying only), Spirit Guides, Astral Projection, Website & Digital Media, Drawing, Camping and Gardening.

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:49 PM

I like collecting nature from different parts of the world. So like seashells, sand, rocks, acorns, pinecones. So far its just Canada-wide. When my grandparents moved into the retirement home I got a few cool items. My mother gave me my grandfathers native jewelry cause she knows I follow a path doing Shamanism. And my grandmothers blessed holy oil from a saints cathedral in Europe. I'm not religious but it is a neat item.

Posted Image

Light and Shadow. A place where the line is blurred between both worlds.

Nothing is as it seems. Shadow doesn't always mean evil and light doesn't always mean divine.


#9 kevinscan

kevinscan

    Incubus

  • GS Member
  • 828 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Adelaide, South Australia
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    Friends
    Horror & Sci-fi
    A good mystery
    Star Wars
    Hiking

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:47 AM

Mine would be drawing, I mainly draw for myself but I have given a couple away as presents.
Posted Image

"Normal is an illusion.
What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"

Charles Addams

#10 Guardian

Guardian

    Cold Spot

  • GS Member
  • 11 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft Wayne, IN
  • Interests:Lake life, golf, reading.

Posted 21 September 2021 - 02:13 AM

View PostGothickangel, on 20 September 2021 - 12:49 PM, said:

I like collecting nature from different parts of the world. So like seashells, sand, rocks, acorns, pinecones. So far its just Canada-wide. When my grandparents moved into the retirement home I got a few cool items. My mother gave me my grandfathers native jewelry cause she knows I follow a path doing Shamanism. And my grandmothers blessed holy oil from a saints cathedral in Europe. I'm not religious but it is a neat item.

I would be impressed to see nature that I can't see here.  When I was visiting Florida, I spent most of my time staring up at palm trees!

View Postkevinscan, on 21 September 2021 - 12:47 AM, said:

Mine would be drawing, I mainly draw for myself but I have given a couple away as presents.

Do you have a favorite subject?

#11 EVP

EVP

    Wraith

  • EVP
  • 1,890 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In A Cold Blanket Of Earth
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:04 AM

I would guess one would have to first define how secret is secret first. Personally I don't hide who I am but then again I only allow a few in my life. If I'm obliged to hide things from people because they won't approve, I move them off my list of quality contacts. I know some may not have that opportunity especially when they are relatives but I don't have exclusions. I prefer quality friends over quantity friends.

Edited by EVP, 22 September 2021 - 02:11 AM.

Posted Image

#12 Guardian

Guardian

    Cold Spot

  • GS Member
  • 11 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft Wayne, IN
  • Interests:Lake life, golf, reading.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:45 PM

View PostEVP, on 22 September 2021 - 02:04 AM, said:

I would guess one would have to first define how secret is secret first. Personally I don't hide who I am but then again I only allow a few in my life. If I'm obliged to hide things from people because they won't approve, I move them off my list of quality contacts. I know some may not have that opportunity especially when they are relatives but I don't have exclusions. I prefer quality friends over quantity friends.

Quality over quantity is something we should all prioritize in friendships.  I have had the same friends for 35 years, and there aren't a lot of them, but I know exactly what I am getting every time!

#13 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • 2,756 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Beaufort, NC
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:29 PM

Another secret passion of mine is to move to the NC mountains.  Find a small town that's listed on the map or not.  To be totally anonymous and work at a small grocery or something of that nature.  Where people come together and help each other. Where I can go and just blend in to the background, make enough to pay my bills and have the true peace and quiet all around me when I get home. I don't need a lot of friends - just you guys- the ones I trust most.  The people I can share my most private thoughts with. All that goes along with this my true secret passion.  I would still need my true friends here, because we're family.
Posted Image

#14 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

    Moderator

  • Moderator
  • 1,133 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Braunfels, TX
  • Interests:avoiding dumb people...you know, those that believe anything they are told....or found on the net.

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:11 AM

Mine is to build a log cabin in Colorado way up and away from everyone.  Just peace and quiet.  So tired of all the politics, new mandates and control tactics.
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!