#21 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,709 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

I've never had any issues with Windows 10, seems pretty reliable to me, like XP as mentioned above.

Not a fan of HP PC's, and I did read that brand in particular does have issues with Win 10
Posted Image

#22 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostHotSpot24, on 19 October 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

Yeah, thinking about getting a MAC for all 'this stuff' (And Garageband!)

:mad0218:

Dude if you want safe reliable and boring get a Chromebook.

MACs have "fewer" issues :pleasantry:  but for what you end up paying you might as well just get one of those geek contract deals and take the thing in every month for the microsoft security updates and required fixings :yes:

Otherwise befriend your local geek and pay in pizza :yes: Then when microsoft majorly screws up you have a win10 fixing pizza party :banana: :th_2140: :banana:

Have I mentioned ... recently ... that Ubuntu and/or Linux Mint are free and kick microsoft butt :whistle:  WIn10 is only really a thang if you use the "Surface" puter thang or have a microsoft phone oh AND microsoft just gave up on the phone ... just the Surface to go :whistle:

Oh I still have an HP computer :yes: it's still running XP too :yes:

They are not that bad :no: and they run great with Linux :yes:
- siguie -

#23 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:53 PM

I use a Chromebox at work. Took a while to get used to how lean it far as features..."boring"...but it does work well and the simplicity is good. But I like more options
Posted Image

#24 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

View PostVlawde, on 19 October 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

I use a Chromebox at work. Took a while to get used to how lean it far as features..."boring"...but it does work well and the simplicity is good. But I like more options

Oh I actually bought one for my dad back in 2014 and I hacked it to put Bodhi Linux on it and even wrote the how to over at the Bodhi forum for using SD card booting ... any who since then I've been gifted laptops and moved him up to a dual booting LInux Mint and Win10 system.

BUT the chromebook is still pretty nice :yes: I bumped up the ram and gave it a bigger ssd and have put all sorts of other operating systems on it BUT I actually like Chrome OS :yes: It's good stable and with a little tweaking {yes tweaking is a a running theme with me and tech} you can run pretty much any android app on it :yes:
- siguie -

#25 HotSpot24

HotSpot24

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, but there isn't really a good online music writer/recorder. :) @Siguie

#26 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

i stand by macs, they have always worked well for me and I think my laptop is about 6 years old now and still processing at a pretty steady rate - but I'm not a gamer or anything so it's just word, excel and web browsing that I get up to !
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#27 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

View PostHotSpot24, on 20 October 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

Yeah, but there isn't really a good online music writer/recorder. :) @Siguie

What do you mean by music writer/recorder? 'cuz audacity and vlc are both run on chromebooks :yes:

If you are talking about something like Frooty Loops aka FL Studio I use LMMS in ubuntu and if you want to you really can easily  add a linux boot to a chromebook. I doubt if my old 2014 chromebook could handle LMMS even with the tweaks {same old processor} BUT I'm sure the new ones could do a fair job :yes: Of course wipe winblows and install a linux flavour and it would be AWESOME :yes: well atleast way WAY better than using it on windohs :yes:

Yeah earthly I admit there isn't anything inherently wrong with MACs and if you stick to standard tasks and don't try to make programs do anything too um "interesting" they are good workhorse computers that will last a good while :yes: I just balk at the prices and the idea of having to learn yet another eXpensive proprietary system to escape the OS cage ALL just to make the thing work the way I want it too. After all you 'can' dual boot or wipe Mac OS and replace it with a Linux flavour AND it's AWESOME but it's really really eXpensive awesome compared to doing that with a carp windohz PC :yes:
- siguie -

#28 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

I've a 2007 HP a6330f workhorse, with Vista Home Premium. It ran great, until Microsoft stopped updates for it. The jerks.

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 21 October 2017 - 11:59 AM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#29 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

I have a second PC from Dell from 2007...same thing, Vista. I haven't turned it on for almost a year. Happy with my Alienware I bought thru Dell. 3 years old but no issues whatsoever. It's funny how fast technology moves forward. Witcher 3 looks awesome bit there were a few areas I had to turn down the graphic settings because it kept freezing. I have a Ps4 now for most gaming, I'm guessing newer games couldn't run at high settings on the PC now
Posted Image

#30 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

Ooooh actually Vista computers are Purrrrfect for ubuntu or linux mint :yes:  Vista was an OS that was pushed out too fast and that's what made it carp :yes: By the time everything was worked out it was too bloated for the hardware that was "designed" to use it because most companies chose resources that were just marginally good enough to run the original system. SO if you have a system that runs VIsta "reliably" the hardware was probably pretty good AND Ubuntu and Linux Mint both some of the girthier linux flavours would do really well :yes: Also Vista systems were designed before Micro$oft started creating ways to stop people from installing other operating systems :yes:

In any event you two have nothing to lose if it's an old computer anywho :no:

@vlawde yeah I doubt if a Vista system could handle newer games BUT if you happen to have a water cooled GPU you wanted to try out it might work :yes: the high CPU requirements for modern games is mostly for super fast image rendering. Older systems just used the same processor for images and calculations, nowadays atleast the better more dedicated gaming computers split the graphics load over to the GPU :yes:

Oh and anybody hanging on to old laptops that they are considering recycling atleast pull out the batteries and consider reusing them :yes: The vast majority use a type of battery called an 18650 Lithium Ion and it's trivial to use old batteries and make a super high end power bank :yes:

Basically you can use old laptop batteries to power new laptops or anything that runs or charges from a USB plug :yes:

PLUS there are oodles of other thangs you can do with them but some assembly is required so sadly it's not for everyone :sigh:

Edited by siguie, 21 October 2017 - 05:33 PM.

- siguie -

#31 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostMacCionoadha BeanSidhe, on 21 October 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

I've a 2007 HP a6330f workhorse, with Vista Home Premium. It ran great, until Microsoft stopped updates for it. The jerks.

I have an HP from 2008 that has Windows Vista Home on it.  Still a good computer, but after using for a couple hours, it starts to bog down.  I guess it's almost time for it to go to computer heaven lol

View PostVlawde, on 21 October 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I have a second PC from Dell from 2007...same thing, Vista. I haven't turned it on for almost a year. Happy with my Alienware I bought thru Dell. 3 years old but no issues whatsoever. It's funny how fast technology moves forward. Witcher 3 looks awesome bit there were a few areas I had to turn down the graphic settings because it kept freezing. I have a Ps4 now for most gaming, I'm guessing newer games couldn't run at high settings on the PC now

Has Dell gotten better over the years?  My family had a few Dell desktops about 15 years ago and they all ran slow, but my Uncle had a Toshiba desktop and it ran just fine.  Same programs installed, same antivirus, same network.

View Postsiguie, on 21 October 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

Ooooh actually Vista computers are Purrrrfect for ubuntu or linux mint :yes:  Vista was an OS that was pushed out too fast and that's what made it carp :yes: By the time everything was worked out it was too bloated for the hardware that was "designed" to use it because most companies chose resources that were just marginally good enough to run the original system. SO if you have a system that runs VIsta "reliably" the hardware was probably pretty good AND Ubuntu and Linux Mint both some of the girthier linux flavours would do really well :yes: Also Vista systems were designed before Micro$oft started creating ways to stop people from installing other operating systems :yes:

In any event you two have nothing to lose if it's an old computer anywho :no:

@vlawde yeah I doubt if a Vista system could handle newer games BUT if you happen to have a water cooled GPU you wanted to try out it might work :yes: the high CPU requirements for modern games is mostly for super fast image rendering. Older systems just used the same processor for images and calculations, nowadays atleast the better more dedicated gaming computers split the graphics load over to the GPU :yes:

Oh and anybody hanging on to old laptops that they are considering recycling atleast pull out the batteries and consider reusing them :yes: The vast majority use a type of battery called an 18650 Lithium Ion and it's trivial to use old batteries and make a super high end power bank :yes:

Basically you can use old laptop batteries to power new laptops or anything that runs or charges from a USB plug :yes:

PLUS there are oodles of other thangs you can do with them but some assembly is required so sadly it's not for everyone :sigh:

I agree with you there on Vista being good with Ubuntu and Linux Mint.  My Vista laptop from 2008 runs Ubuntu flawlessly.  Switched back and forth between Linux Mint and Ubuntu, but Ubuntu just seems to work better for me.

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#32 Vlawde

Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

I bought my Alienware through Dell because of their financing. Paid off in six months

If I knew how to switch the Vista PC to Linux or Ubuntu, I'd do it. It's kinda worthless at this point
Posted Image

#33 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 21 October 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

I agree with you there on Vista being good with Ubuntu and Linux Mint.  My Vista laptop from 2008 runs Ubuntu flawlessly.  Switched back and forth between Linux Mint and Ubuntu, but Ubuntu just seems to work better for me.

Yeah Vista was particularly bloated so it's an easy bet :yes:

As for which is better Ubuntu or Mint that's more of a personal preference thang PLUS there are all of the Desktop Flavour options like I prefer LM Cinnamon but my dad likes MATE. Also there's no reason why you need to choose just one :no: You can even keep Vista and install BOTH ubuntu and mint  BUT for first timers stick with a clean one OS install or a dual boot :yes:

View PostVlawde, on 21 October 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

I bought my Alienware through Dell because of their financing. Paid off in six months

If I knew how to switch the Vista PC to Linux or Ubuntu, I'd do it. It's kinda worthless at this point

Woohoo :th_evil:

First thang is you wanna create a "Live USB" which is just a bootable thumb drive with an iso of your choice. Here's a standard tutorial but you ca just google how to install ubuntu/LM etc. It's really pretty trivial :yes:

You will have to download an iso of the OS you choose so you should check to make sure what type of Vista you have 32 or 64 bit ... this can be trickier than you think especially if it's an old HP. HP kinda faked 64bit  early on so if in doubt go with 32bit BUT if you are sure you have 64bit then download that iso.

For Ubuntu iso go here and download 16.04 NOT 17.10 :no:  you can always "upgrade" later but anything ending x.04 is LTS {Long Term Support} aka "stable" and anything ending x.10 basically means you are beta testing next years model ... some issues are expected.

Also remember this is FREE set the "donation" sliders to Zero or just click the little take me to the download page link near the bottom :yes:

Oh and this is Linux Mint https://linuxmint.co...load.phpthere are more versions BUT I recommend Cinnamon it's one of the most popular options and is kind of like a good XP :yes:

K so I'm gonna just leave you with those ... keep in mind that one of the reasons for creating a bootable USB beyond installing is to see IF you like it AND make sure the basics all work. So before overwriting anything make sure you can connect to your wifi and things like your keyboard and what not are working the way you expect :yes: It's going to be a little slow since it's all running from a 2.0 usb BUT it will kick into high gear after your second reboot {after the first one you do updates}.

I'm just going to step back before I explain too many options and confuse people BUT NightWalker did I ever email you a link to installing linux operating systems directly ON usb drives? For those people who have computers with usb 3.0 sockets and big 3.0 usb drives it's possible to run dozens of different operating systems on the same computer and never install anything to the hard drive ...  It's something Klainey should does 'cuz she's a COWARD ... just sayin :devil:
- siguie -

#34 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

EVP - Gonna try your fix today.  Will let you know what happens :)

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#35 HotSpot24

HotSpot24

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Yep. Just like the format of Garageband. And the sounds are good too.

#36 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

EVP - It doesn't look like any of the options on that website are available on the Home Edition of Windows 10.  I'm going to keep digging though.  This update is still trying to install and it's 15 minutes before I'm even able to use my laptop.

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#37 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:47 AM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 23 October 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

EVP - It doesn't look like any of the options on that website are available on the Home Edition of Windows 10.  I'm going to keep digging though.  This update is still trying to install and it's 15 minutes before I'm even able to use my laptop.

See if this helps. this might be your workaround.

https://www.windowsc...ry-optimization
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#38 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:15 AM

View PostEVP, on 24 October 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

See if this helps. this might be your workaround.

https://www.windowsc...ry-optimization

Ok, thanks!  I'm hoping this works :)

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users