• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

If it isn't obvious by now, I'm equally facinated by not just how local history shapes the ghosts, and how ghost stories lead us to local history,
Bur also how we see the history, the folklore and the ghost stories all shaping each other.

Locally we have a well preserved estate home that is currently a lovely small museum, no one ever died in the home, particularly NO CHILDREN died in the home.
but people there for events, parties etc, see a little girl dressed in a blue nightgown.  We've never figured out who she is, why she's there, (because there aren't generally kids there for these things)  but people who are "reliable sources"  have seen her peer around a corner, or dash down a hallway.  and there's no reason for her to be there at all.  Locally, it's mystery for all the museum people, folklore people, ghost investigation people... and the wierd part is that there's no history or lore to go with it!

If the house had been empty or rented out for decades between being a mansion for the builder's family and becoming a museum, there'd be room to stick stories into.
We've ALL also seen situations where there was a very clear and defined "Historical story of a traumatic death" and then when we dig into the documentation, the person didn't die there, died of something pedestrian, or in the case of ghost children, actually grew up to a ripe old age...  and then we wonder "so WHO is this ghost?"  

If we can get a scan posted, ThisismecanUC, hopefully you can find it, of the original newspaper account of the death of the professor, that will be an IMPORTANT clue. (just a detail like "we have his name wrong, can shape up the search in a huge way.)  An account from an eyewitness, that makes a big difference too. )

Edited by trin, 13 September 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#42 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

View Posttrin, on 13 September 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

Yep, and he's not dead, and hasn't taught Parapsychology.  

Also the additional search terms steamboat landing and walls estate, get search result locations in other states not the Sonoma county, Petaluma, california area.

If we leave off the UCLA (as it may be a missleading clue) it still goes absolutely nowhere as a clue. The name doesn't fit into the puzzle at all.... outside of the connection via the film.
I keep feeling like I'm running into an example of _St Francisville Experiment_ where the local folklore (and presumed data because now "everyone remembers seeing abou tthe murders in the paper" even though there wasn't anything at the time) has been shaped by the "based on a true story" or presented in the form of "found footage" film.

True. I'm sick of this "found footage" crap. I saw the film 'The Last Exorcism', that was 87 minutes of my life and $40, I'll never get back.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#43 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yeah, found footage type movies are way overdone. It worked with the first Blair Witch, and with Cloverdale. I really don't want to see any more movies using this gimmick
Posted Image

#44 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:49 PM

_St Francisville_ came to me maybe as a rental? nothing on the box told me anything, so much made to look like "real footage" I googled school and character names, I googled the supposed site. I asked here, and was really confused for about a week. Because everything I could find about it (because limits of the search terms)...  looked like 'probably real first hand thing'.  I'm fairly sure they filmed it at the Myrtles plantation, but I'm not sure.  

(but yeah, I was freaked out because I couldn't find out what happened to the "investigators", as the ending left everything up in the air.)

#45 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 ThisIsMeAllUCanC

ThisIsMeAllUCanC

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

Give me a bit I will find somethings..

Corda has lived here his whole life as well his Property is very close to House.  The house you can see driving on our very very busy highway. It is right off the side of it.  I wonder why none of the people stuck in commute didn't see it?  Was Jerry at home or with firefighters, I am confused (not really)  Why was there a big ring around the house burns from fire?  It is a miracle A huge miracle nothing else caught fire.  Leaving that alone because obviously this is about the movie now.

Give me a little bit to find some things for you guys.  You did see chads photos at the bottom of one of the fake movies page right?  He was one of students.  That is millions to one of him being there.  REad his bio he was at ucla in 95

Posted Image

[PDF]

Haystack Landing

www.incidentathaystacklanding.com200 × 200Search by image

CHAD GROCHOWSKI- Also graduated the previous year and got involved with Professor Williams because of his involvement with the audio/video department of the ...

He is a director now

#47 ThisIsMeAllUCanC

ThisIsMeAllUCanC

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

Argus-Courier
Haystack Landing house destroyed by fire
An early morning fire Tuesday gutted a well-known south Petaluma home, leaving nothing behind but a cement pad, fire officials said.

The historic Haystack Landing house, billed by some as "the world's most haunted location," burned to the ground shortly after 1:40 a.m. Tuesday.
Jerry Corda, chief of the San Antonio Fire Company, said engines from several departments responded to the early morning call but when firefighters arrived, "it was pretty much fully involved" and the home couldn't be saved.
"It must have burned pretty fast," said Corda, who lives near the property and saw the sky over a neighboring hill fill with an orange glow.
The house, built in the middle of a marshy area a few miles south of the city, dates to the 1800s and was once part of a port for ships traveling the Petaluma River. It was considered an important gateway to Petaluma.
"There’s a lot of history behind that building," Corda said. Firefighters prevented the flames from spreading further, he said.

Corda States Above a Lot Of History......

#48 ThisIsMeAllUCanC

ThisIsMeAllUCanC

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:16 PM

Haystack Landing

This photo was taken the day before this rumored haunted and infamous Victorian home burned to the ground. I have received emails and calls over the Haystack Landing from around the world especially in October near Halloween. My photo even made it into the prestigious Victorian Homes magazine. I have been contacted by Fox, NBC, and Discovery about shows on the haunted location as well CBS used the photo for a Rock Band CD cover. This has been amazing as after it burned my blog posts and photos were so well known that the fire department emailed me as did the owners of the property as well as a few weird people. Although I am, not convinced of the existence of ghosts, the hair on your neck stood up when near this place and it just felt eerie not just because of its looks or long history but it had a wierd feeling when you were near the place.
here,

#49 ThisIsMeAllUCanC

ThisIsMeAllUCanC

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

why would any news stations, Major new station contact this guy??  Because local area well in San Francisco and they know its past.   You don't just contact someone for  photo out of the blue..hmmm

#50 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

View PostThisIsMeAllUCanC, on 13 September 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:

Give me a bit I will find somethings..

Corda has lived here his whole life as well his Property is very close to House.  The house you can see driving on our very very busy highway. It is right off the side of it.  I wonder why none of the people stuck in commute didn't see it?  Was Jerry at home or with firefighters, I am confused (not really)  Why was there a big ring around the house burns from fire?  It is a miracle A huge miracle nothing else caught fire.  Leaving that alone because obviously this is about the movie now.

Give me a little bit to find some things for you guys.  You did see chads photos at the bottom of one of the fake movies page right?  He was one of students.  That is millions to one of him being there.  REad his bio he was at ucla in 95

Posted Image

[PDF]
Haystack Landing

www.incidentathaystacklanding.com200 × 200Search by image

CHAD GROCHOWSKI- Also graduated the previous year and got involved with Professor Williams because of his involvement with the audio/video department of the ...

He is a director now

The bio is from the movie site, it doesn't tell us from any other source if he was actually a witness, that's the problem, there;s only the one somewhat questionable source.
A Primary resource would be him saying or writing something about the event as "This really happened, I was there, this is what I saw."  the "bio on a site that's really about the movie, isn't a primary resource for a factual event.  It MIGHT be, but it suggests that it's not.  There needs to be OTHER primary sources saying "Chad's a real person he was here when this happened and this thing really happened."

Would people *want* a brief essay about how historians do research? Particularly for things where the people who saw or did or experienced what ever era or event are long gone?
Because I think people are somewhat confused about how I'm expecting pieces to fall together from a wider range of sources.  If all the data only comes from one source (for example one article about paranormal thing, that gets repeated and repeated in various articles but are all really just reprints of the original article,.. that's a problematic sign... ) that source is actually less useful.

#51 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:53 PM

http://www.imdb.com/...o_sm#overview  

a whole lot of not much, nothing about where he went to school, nothing about much of anything... but I know now how tall he is (not useful for this sort of data dig)

he's listed as a character/ performer in the film.  (which is probably a real film but  fictional account.  based on the dates you've given it would have been done AFTER the actual event, probably not during (IF there were an actual event)   He seems to work mainly in reality TV, so that also seems like the hoax possiblity isn't ruled out by that.

There's a LOCAL paper right?  I'm sure someone mentioned "it was covered in the local paper" at minimum there's an obituary for the victims.  
(Papers are generally scanned and preseved by local historical societies and by the local paper itself, often on microfiche depending on the date, and on CD if it's recent enough.  Depending on the particular locality for 1995, the preservation material could be either.)  I'm not in your state, I can't pop into the historical society ask "about when did this thing happen, and can I see the newspaper files from about a month before, the month of and about a month afterward... ?"  (which is a fairly normal sort of request if we have an actual date or estimate for when the murders actually happened.)

Not saying there wasn't a house there, or that there wasn't the "usual" sort of "haunted house stories that go with abandoned houses" (because that is ALSO a cultural norm.  
I'm saying the story about the mysterious murders needs to be verified from a source that isn't directly tied up to the movie....  The lack of that is a big red flag for someone researching the history.

#52 ThisIsMeAllUCanC

ThisIsMeAllUCanC

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

Thank you for all your help I appreciate your time.  I can admit things don't add up and I cant even imagine what the motive would be for what seems like some kind of cover up( I believe)

That is not from the movie "there never was a movie"  It is from his resume.

http://www.imdb.com/...1309/resumemake sure you look on all pages ok

I have been so busy and unexpected situation that need my attention or Id be here more.  Please try to be patient.

I not sure what to say to you so you can see the connections.  The link above might help it is his resume.

Thank you for all your time.  I will be back in a few days

#53 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

Link brings up a blank page
Posted Image

#54 ThisIsMeAllUCanC

ThisIsMeAllUCanC

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

http://www.imdb.com/...?ref_=nm_ov_res

#55 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree, this whole thread has me confused. Just a few observations

So, this Chad guy was an actor in the movie, but it's not on his resume. Not quite sure why not. Honestly, I don't think the movie was ever released, or there'd be more info on it available

And the professor supposedly involved in the actual (?) incident, Rick Williams, is the name of the actor who played the professor in the movie. So that infers there never was an actual professor Rick Williams
Posted Image

#56 ThisIsMeAllUCanC

ThisIsMeAllUCanC

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree, this whole thread has me confused. Just a few observations

So, this Chad guy was an actor in the movie, but it's not on his resume. Not quite sure why not. Honestly, I don't think the movie was ever released, or there'd be more info on it available

And the professor supposedly involved in the actual (?) incident, Rick Williams, is the name of the actor who played the professor in the movie. So that infers there never was an actual professor Rick Williams

Vlawde
  Thank you for sticking with it.  And thank you I have been saying all along Chad was never in the (fake) movie he is actually one of the students in real story.  Rick is the real professor also never in the movie. I'm not sure if still at ucla.

I don't know exactly how to express the things I want to say, and everyone is on agreement that my typing suck.  When I am typing I'm like a huge ball off energy and passion and my mind goes everywhere.

Anyways right why in the heck isn't the so called movie on his resume?  Even if a small part that sucks is good to put down, especially a movie?

The website is so confusing but here is what I think , it is about the actual incident.  Telling info and on one of the bottom lnks, it has a link to what the producers told them would ( the movie) be but never did. They listed themselves as the characters who were going to be portraying in so called movie.  Sounds to me the people saying they were making a movie were conning them.................and 4 years later lair Witch came out

#57 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:56 PM

Blair Witch was not connected with this at all. It was back east, and totally made up by the writers from what I found. Haystack landing...movie aside...just isn't really known across the country. As we've found with intense google searches
Posted Image

#58 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

The movie wasn't given a general release. It was only shown at the New York Film Festival in 1999. Some have had acting careers, beyond Haystack.

Courtney Jordan Bindel is an actress, known for Incident at Haystack Landing (1999) and Auradrone: Shadow (2012)

Eric Dunning is an actor, known for Incident at Haystack Landing (1999).

Cynthiya Eaton is an actress, known for The Double (2005) and Incident at Haystack Landing (1999).

Phil Mannle is an actor, known for Rogue (2002), Knocked Down (2008) and Incident at Haystack Landing.

Sandy Rockford is an actress, known for Incident at Haystack Landing (1999).

Susan Schramm is an actress, known for Creepshow 3 (2006), Being Steven Spielberg (2006) and The Sailor's Girl (2005).

Rick Williams is an actor, known for Incident at Haystack Landing (1999).

Chad Grochowski is a director and producer, known for The Amazing Race: China Rush (2010), Who Killed the Electric Car? (2006) and National Geographic Presents: ScrapHouse (2006). He acted in the 'Incident at Haystack Landing'. Also, he was the Editor and Sound-man for the movie.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#59 ThisIsMeAllUCanC

ThisIsMeAllUCanC

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

Back east your correct on that part, oddly enough isn't that where Mac claims it showed at film festival?  Way back east?Why would that be?  Isnt there any festivals closer to way over here?  You know where the story has some kind of a chance?

I am really such a sweet person so please don't mistake me for being rude or mean.  This is my way of trying to make you see what I see.

Was there any proof of it Mac?  I mean other than one with Chads profile showing nothing of his involvement of said film?

I am sorry but that info might be on internet but the movie never happened, where are the newspaper clippings or tickets that are being sold as vintage ticket stubs, if indeed was.   Here is a question the Film festival  if it was there,  it probably  testing the story line and it failed.  Then maybe make it more relevant to east coast.  B.W.P

That is two possible situations so nothing can be ruled out. I believe people could be making themselfs famous by making their own truths or fairy tales and just by posting on web somewhere it will turn to facts?

It makes me sick how much History is lost because not enough paper trails or historical proof of something.  Or how many things are incorrect because of the same reason and someone decides it should be facts.

I Love Our History its sad when some of it doesn't get the recognition it deserves

The website is of real thing and has a link to a might be movie that the film people promised it would be ...of course they wanted all info on the house first of course.   Like Corda says it has lots of history, he wasn't just saying that because everything has history, why didn't he just say the house was white or fire burnt it down, because everyone knows that.  Wonder what he meant?

Bare with me and I know your probably pulling your hair out but they are good questions or thoughts.  They must be in order for you to even bother with it.

This is 1 of my two history changing stories. The other is so much bigger but nothing to do with paranormal.  Which I do have proof of documents but its huge I wanted to do this first.  

I understand some might be not to my liking but prove it no doubt.  I don't see anything that I cant explain or see holes all over it.

If you want to quit I understand.   Hell I can't stand myself right now.  There is a Attorney in me somewhere I know it lol

#60 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostThisIsMeAllUCanC, on 14 September 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

goes to a 404 error page!

There was definitely a movie, because I now know people who have seen it. (declared "scary but cheesy" and "the usual found footage horror bit" my friends are, apparently, a Tough Crowd. :D  apparently there's "cheap DVD" floating around, possibly was a promotional item at some film or horror festival?  Though maybe they also saw it at some kind of Horror film festival and it DOES sound like it was MAYBE a step up from being a Student Film. So it would exist but have no widespread release. < no money for that.> )

Movie link on IMDB, all the "characters" are using real names and seem to be available for hire rather than dead or missing.
http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The FILM has an IMDB page, so it OBVIOUSLY was a finished film as was shown publically at least once.  (Possibly the Californian students showing it in NYC was due to NYC being the site of a Horror convention, or Horror film festival...  it's a way to get the start of enough backing to promote the film and get it shown at least in Art Theaters or even "direct to DVD" release.)

An incomplete, or never shown in public film CAN NOT get and IMDB listing, let alone a casting listing with links to each of the performers, especially when that film is the only thing they are listed for.  (I live with a film buff, would you like me to invite him to the board? He knows a LOT more than I do, about what is required to get an IMDB listing.  My student films from Art School certainly don't qualify.  :D )

the connection with _Blair Witch_ is regarding the manner of using the night vision setting and the found footage format to tell a horror story, and using the viral marketing of the supposed "Footage of actual true event" to market the film.   (I feel like I'm explaining things I've already discussed, or that should be obvious, and I don't know if I've just skipped something somewhere, but the connecting dots aren't in LOCATION, they are in the filming and the manner of the filming.)

The inital page that was linked in the Original post was part of the promotional effort for the MOVIE in the first place, it's not a primary resource, it's not a secondary resource, it MIGHT be a tertiary resource but has so much hype mixed in there's no way to tell what's accurate, and what's hype.  (and there's a huge chunk of data from that site, that isn't verified ANYWHERE else... which if this was "Historians trying to verify a story about a historical person behaving badly" would be enough to blow it off as "just a rumor" or "someone with a bone to pick trying to start something... and not succeeding." )  

The movie has more documentation than any apparent Mysterious Death does... and that's a bad sign for the "truth of the story".  
It's not that "no body bothered to document the murders" because THAT if impossible.  Murders are front page news, particularly if in a local haunted house, and in a small town. Heck, there would be constant press about the investigation for weeks or months.  Even if the paper only came out weekly. (I grew up in a small town. This would have been HUGE if it happened in my Padukahville Indiana <not a real place>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users