• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fordzilla

fordzilla

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:28 year law enforcement officer. My wife and I call ourselves "paranormal tourists." That is, we make a pastime of travelling to famous haunts and investigating/staying/visiting. We take tons of photos (Search my name on this forum to see some of them, including at least two apparitions we captured) but we NEVER attempt contact or communication.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

As a kid, I remember reading a story about a "ghost" who was given the name "Mary," who haunted a cell in a jail or prison; it seems like this was late 1800s or early 1900s, and either in New England or in Britian, though I seem to think it was Britain.  The story went that she was jailed for vagrancy, and hung herself in the cell.  Since her passing, numerous prisoners thereaffter hung themselves, and one complained of an old woman in his cell trying to talk him into hanging himself.  Ever since, i haven't been able to find this story anwhere else and have always found it fascinating.
Sound familair to anyone?
"There are chords in the hearts of men which cannot be touched without emotion.  Even with the utterly lost, to whom both life and death are jest, there are some matters about which no jest can be made."- Edgar Allen Poe

#2 lisa187

lisa187

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

are u meaning mary queen of scots? :Picture 562:

#3 fordzilla

fordzilla

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:28 year law enforcement officer. My wife and I call ourselves "paranormal tourists." That is, we make a pastime of travelling to famous haunts and investigating/staying/visiting. We take tons of photos (Search my name on this forum to see some of them, including at least two apparitions we captured) but we NEVER attempt contact or communication.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

No.
"There are chords in the hearts of men which cannot be touched without emotion.  Even with the utterly lost, to whom both life and death are jest, there are some matters about which no jest can be made."- Edgar Allen Poe

#4 CDS

CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:58 AM

Mary Ann Cotton?

#5 robertino

robertino

EVP

• GS Member
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Everything Paranormal, Reading, Watching Movies, Music, Cats

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

What a pity! It seems an interesting story! I don't know. I also tried an Internet search but I haven't found anything.

#6 badbeerfairy

badbeerfairy

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

This sounds familiar.  Could it be Derby Gaol, England?
Light of eye and soft of touch, speak ye little, listen much.....

#7 fordzilla

fordzilla

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:29 AM

Just thought I'd bump this one, since no one has identified it and its four years old.

#8 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

Like CDS said, this is the only Mary, that could be Found, which would fit the description.

Mary Ann Cotton

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#9 fordzilla

fordzilla

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

Are there stories linked to her appearing in cells, telling prisoners to kill themselves?

#10 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

I couldn't find anything about her trying to make others kill themselves.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#11 Shawn4233

Shawn4233

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, Horror Movies, Music, Traveling, Meeting New People, Sports, Friends, Chatting, Video Games, Concerts, Food, TV, New Experiences, Having A Good Time, Laughing, Making Others Laugh, Helping Others.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Don't think it's what anyone is looking for a this is a good brief read on Mary Surratt.

http://www.prairiegh...om/surratt.html
Your Leading Gettysburg Paranormal Authority
Twitter: @WinFBLeague

#12 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:47 PM

Thanks Shawn, an interesting read nonetheless!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#13 fordzilla

fordzilla

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:06 AM

Well, it took me 42 years, but I found it!

The book was Will Eisner - The Spirit's Casebook, published in 1976.  I remember buying it at a book fair my grade school had.  I'm ordering the book from ebay.
Anyway,here's the legend:

https://weirdhistory...ad-mary-murphy/

I can't yet verify the "facts" documented in the story, but here is a picture of the station in which it supposedly occurred:

https://en.wikipedia...4thDistrict.jpg

Here is some of the artwork:

http://www.scaryfork.../crazy-mary.jpg

I'm going to continue to try to find more.

#14 fordzilla

fordzilla

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:15 AM

More recent pics of the station:

http://old-new-orlea...eee-501x358.jpg

http://old-new-orlea...t_e-498x330.jpg

Here's the caption for the photos:

"Above, the building today - close to 180 years old and still standing.  As you
can see, it's undergone more remodeling and its appearance has been
drastically altered.  It's currently being used as a den for a carnival krewe,
the Knights of Babylon, who uses it to build and store Mardi Gras floats."

#15 kevinscan

kevinscan

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    Friends
    Horror & Sci-fi
    A good mystery
    Star Wars
    Hiking

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:01 AM

Poor Mary, wow interesting story.
Posted Image

"Ghosts are not conscious entities, but emotional energy recorded in matter"

Sir Oliver Lodge

#16 fordzilla

fordzilla

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:14 AM

Wow.  Your profile photo looks just like Massad Ayoob.

#17 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:35 AM

Thanks for finding all that information fordzilla :yes: Mary Murphy sounds like she had a terrible life and not much better death :(
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#18 fordzilla

fordzilla

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:39 AM

Well, I have to be honest... a young woman on facebook led me to after I posted on one of the groups.   Other than the "Weird History," link, it then led me to the others.