© Fisana

Be Good At What You Do...it May Turn Into Something So Much More

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:50 AM

I work for AMD and the campus I work at has a cafeteria and used to have a Starbucks coffee shop.  The personnel turnover rate was fairly high in the cafe and starbucks.  A coworker told me his wife got a job at the work starbucks and that she used to work at a previous one for several years.  This guys wife, Danielle, took control of that starbucks.  she organized the whole behind the counter area.  She heard from customers that their coffee tasted different day to day.  So, she created laminated index cards for all the areas where they mix the coffee drinks.  She could and would run circles around any of the other employees there.  Danielle was such a hard worker and so motivated that I half jokingly told her and her husband one day about a year ago that if I had a contractor job open in my team I would hire her for it.

Danielle says she would take it if it was available.  I spoke to my boss and coworker who both knew Danielle as a barista rock star.  Starbucks closed down here at work 6 months ago.

Now we fast forward to 2 weeks ago.  One of our existing contractors is leaving in late December to go back to college.  My boss tasked me in finding our next junior technician to replace our leaving contractor.  I told him I already found a person. I reminded him of Danielle and he wanted her resume.  She got her offer this past Friday and is supposed to start in early December.  It is a 2 year contract position and only 2 years unless they decided to convert her to full time at the end of 2 years.  Her hourly pay will be very close to twice what she made from starbucks.  

All of this is happening because she kicked some booty in her job and got noticed by those who appreciated her effort.  Hard work helped her land a job with lots of upside!!!
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#2 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:44 PM

I'm a pushover for a good worker.
Happily Wacko.

#3 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:10 AM

Me too Menet!

I have never been to Starbucks, I don't think it is as big here in Australia.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#4 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 14 November 2019 - 05:10 AM, said:

Me too Menet!

I have never been to Starbucks, I don't think it is as big here in Australia.

Plentiful here.  And expensive.  I go once in a blue moon.  Usually during the summer for ice coffee drinks.  Yummy.
Happily Wacko.

#5 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:47 PM

I think there are only 15 in my state and none are close! The closest is 3.5 hours away!
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#6 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:58 AM

My wife and I call Starbucks "fivebucks"...because you cant buy anything for less than $5 :-)
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!