Free Skins
© Fisana

Why We Don't Remember Anything While Under Anthesia?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Morning_Glory_*

Guest_Morning_Glory_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:28 AM

Last Thursday I had to be put under anthesia for a surgical biopsy (results will be back about May 18 but it doesn't look like its anything to worry about).  Anyhow, all I remember is being told to take some deep breaths and the next thing I was in the recovery room waking up.  Nothing in between is remembered.

Where did I go while I was under the anthesia?  Was I not in a dream state?  Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, last night I had a crazy dream where my body felt like it was being manipulated by unseen hands, I was powerless.  I figured that might be a memory from the procedure, like my mind trying to make sense out of it..

Anyway, I was just wondering why can't I recall anything while I was under the anthesia and is that common?  I have had four other surgeries in my life and I can't recall anything from any of them.

Thanks for any input you may have.

#2 Hauntedheart

Hauntedheart

EVP

• GS Member
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Anything paranormal

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

I know exactly what you mean I have been put under 2 times and have no memories except during one time I was partially aware that they where putting a breathing tube down my throat and I thought I was moving my head around trying to stop them but was told later by a family member that I wasnt. It only lasted a sec though and then I was out of it.
Hauntedheart

IPB Image

#3 secretswhispered

secretswhispered

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:54 AM

i cant remember anything from surgery either, thank god i say !!! lol

#4 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(Morning_Glory @ May 8 2006, 03:28 PM) View Post
Also, last night I had a crazy dream where my body felt like it was being manipulated by unseen hands, I was powerless.  I figured that might be a memory from the procedure, like my mind trying to make sense out of it..

Did you have a lot of anxiety about undergoing the surgery?  Are you the kind of person who doesn't like doctors or hospitals anyway?  (If someone were asking me these questions, the answer to both would be a resounding YES!   cwy.gif )

I think that the dreams might have been your subconscious trying to work through the anxiety you might be feeling about the procedure and awaiting the results.  It might seem more likely to have these kinds of dreams before the procedure, but since you're a strong and optimistic person, it makes sense that you wouldn't have let yourself get anxious beforehand and that what you dreamed might just be some leftover anxiety working itself out.

Kate

#5 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:59 PM

When you are put under you are in a state of what is called sombolism.  It is the deepest level of unconsciousness one can achieve.  It is a state wherein one is almost comotose.

This stage may also be reached by hypnosis.  When we dream we are in a light state or an alpha state.  There are other stages as well; delta and thea.

So when you are placed under antheisa your "being" is placed in what I would term a state of suspension.  The soul is still there but is unaware of what is going on.  You are in too deep a state to have any subconscious brain activity.

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#6 ~=IKON=~

~=IKON=~

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(Amethyst @ May 8 2006, 02:59 PM) View Post

When you are put under you are in a state of what is called sombolism.  It is the deepest level of unconsciousness one can achieve.  It is a state wherein one is almost comotose.

This stage may also be reached by hypnosis.  When we dream we are in a light state or an alpha state.  There are other stages as well; delta and thea.

So when you are placed under antheisa your "being" is placed in what I would term a state of suspension.  The soul is still there but is unaware of what is going on.  You are in too deep a state to have any subconscious brain activity.
Amethyst

Your so smart Ame!!!!

I've only been under once.  I remember asking if I should close my eyes and next thing I know I'm being asked if I wanted grape or apple juice ( I asked for apple cause I hate grape but they gave me grape  mad.gif   I wish I could have forgotten that part)
Ghost Investigator: 1994-Present
One day your life will flash before your eyes.  Make sure it's worth watching.
If something is 99% impossible, there is that 1% chance it could happen.
If you wake up in the morning and you feel no pain, you probably died sometime in the night

#7 Guest_Morning_Glory_*

Guest_Morning_Glory_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:38 PM

no actually I didn't have any anxiety about the biopsy procedure. I have had major surgeries and knew that this little procedure would be done and over with very quickly.  I was only under the anthesia about  forty five minutes.  I did wake up feeling like someone beat the tar out of me!  I had a tube down my throat for breathing (they did it after I went under) and it feels like they might have scraped something, I've had a bad sore throat since I woke up - getting better a little more every day.
Plus I feel bruising under my chin, on my chest and my left arm. And my legs feel like they were lifting weights at a gym.

I am not a small lady, and they had to move my almost comatose body from the surgery table to the bed I woke up in somehow so that might account for some of the discomfort.
BTW, the area where the biopsy was done, I have had no discomfort at all.

#8 doodlebug

doodlebug

Ghoststudy's Pest

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

One of the drugs that they give you when you are put under is actually an amnesiac (sp) drug.  It prevents you from having any memory of the procedure.    

They told me that I once woke up during back surgery and was actually watching them perform the operation, but I have no memory at all of it. ermm.gif
IPB Image
Thanks Helena!
Troublemaker #2  Look!!  A chicken!!

#9 Guest_blkhmster_*

Guest_blkhmster_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:55 PM

i'd often wondered that same thing....the only surgery i've ever had was my thyroid surgery in november and i dont' remember anything at all...they were placing me on the surgical table and that's the last i remember... thanks ame and doodle for sharing about what happens...very interesting... doodle that's just kind of oogy

#10 ghosthunter252

ghosthunter252

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:05 PM

Well I have never been under before but I can say that you probably enter a sleep/dream like state.  This might be off topic but while were talking about it, when I was a baby I had to have some to calm me for a MRI.  Even though it was a good dosage, my parents had to drive me around town to get me to fall asleep
Ghosthunter252 | Today, 03:29 PM
    I have never double posted.
---------------------------------------------
Ghosthunter252 | Today, 03:29 PM
    I have never double posted.

#11 Guest_Morning_Glory_*

Guest_Morning_Glory_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

ghost hunter those MRI machines are a bit scary to us adults, I'd be afraid I'd get stuck in it!  I can just imagine how a small child feels about having one.  I imagine I'd be the same way!

#12 Raven Wing

Raven Wing

Account Closed Per Request

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:02 AM

When I had ankle surgery done, not only was I put under but I was also given a local anthestetic.  He explained that even when we are put under, the body feels everything but the anthestetic causes a type of amnesia so that we don't remember.  Because the body feels the pain, the local anthestetic stops the signals of pain to the brain and helps with pain management afterwards.  He explained once the signals become so high, it's difficult to bring them back down.

I woke up  in the operating room (different surgery), fortunately they hadn't cut on me yet but they were putting the tube down my throat.  I was paralyized and terrified.  Couldn't move, couldn't talk, couldn't breath.  I wanted to scream "I'm awake!" Fortunately it only lasted maybe a minute (longest minute of my life!) and I was out again.  I've had quite a few surgeries in my life and thankfully this only happened once.

#13 LadyGlo

LadyGlo

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

A year ago I had open heart surgery. At one piont I was waking up. I remember the doctor cussing. I could hear them removing the retractors. I could hears the meatal scrape against my ribs. I could not move or say anything. I know I was trying to yell...I"m awake, The doctor must of notice and gave me more anthesia. Because the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room.  Everyone I told that I was waking up during surgery thinks I was just dreaming it. 2 days after my surgery they was getting me up into a chair. When I stood up. My heart stopped and I coded on them. All I remember was going down the hall to surgery again. I wish I could remember what happen then.

Edited by LadyGlo, 09 May 2006 - 08:38 PM.

#14 Guest_Morning_Glory_*

Guest_Morning_Glory_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

Oh god that would be terrifying, waking up in surgery!  Augh, I guess I'd rather not remember anything rather than wake up and find out first hand what is going on.  Thats the type of stuff horror movies are made of!

Ladyglo, I'm glad they were able to bring you back.  Do you have any near death memories to share?

#15 Guest_blkhmster_*

Guest_blkhmster_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

ok LadyGlo wins, ha ha...I agree with MG, that had to have been terrifying..i'm glad you made it back...i too would like to know if you had any near death memories...

#16 Raven Wing

Raven Wing

Account Closed Per Request

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:39 AM

Ladyglo, how terrifying that must have been!  I saw a show on tv that waking up during surgery is happening a lot more than people realize and they're working on better ways to monitor a patient while under.

I told my doctor about waking up and he said if I'm ever to be put under again to make sure they know of my experience.  I have and haven't had a problem again.

Ladyglo, I'm happy you're still here with us and I hope you're doing well.  Best wishes. smile.gif

#17 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:00 AM

I've had general anesthetic twice -- once for a surgical wisdom tooth extraction and once for my appendix.  I remember both surgeries.  The memories are kind of hazy, groggy impressions... but I most certainly remember both.

People are lucky when they don't remember surgeries.  It's not exactly pleasant to recall what the doctors were doing and talking about (I felt what was going on but I really didn't feel pain... more...discomfort).  The anesthetic doesn't work as well on everyone.   Certain pain medications really don't work on me either.  Actually, I can't think of any that really do work besides this mix of narcotics I used to take for migraines that they won't prescribe me anymore.  Some kinda work, like ibuprofen and aspirin and others don't do anything at all like acetominophen and morphine and codeine.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#18 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:59 AM

I am seeing a holistic doctor for some health issues, one of them being insomnia.  His theory is that being put under anesthesia numerous times has caused my sleep problems.  

Just wondering if any of you have trouble sleeping.  

-Ms. Tify
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#19 Requiem

Requiem

Orb

• GS Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:14 AM

I'm not sure, but I'm glad that most of us don't remember. One of my greatest fears is surgery/being put under anesthesia and I've no idea why. I almost had a tonsillectomy a while back, but I couldn't go through with it (luckily, my tonsils weren't even that bad). And my more recent knowledge of "anesthesia awareness" adds to my hysterical fear of it.

#20 LadyGlo

LadyGlo

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:05 AM

I am sorry to say I don't remember anything about my NDE. That was my 2nd one. When I was young around 9 I think. I had surgery and my sister told me when I got older. That my heart had stopped then. I don't remeber anything that happen durung either one.  cwy.gif  

Hey blkhmster if I win...what is the prize! All my edicals bills payed!  w00t.gif

Thanks everyone. I know there is a reason why I am still here. Now I just have to find it!!  angel.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users