Santa Sleigh       santa

Pardon Sought For "witch"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Thought this was an interesting article!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-18456106

Thoughts?

#2 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

I've heard about the campaign before.  I guess, she never denied that she was a witch and practiced witchcraft.  So there really isn't a case to reverse the conviction and "clear her name".  But perhaps the parliament could pardon her (or maybe the queen needs to do?  I'm not up on parliamentary procedure... basically like a presidential pardon here in the US) and say she's absolved of all charges?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#3 PIT leader

PIT leader

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:ghost-hunting,videogames,metal and house music,horror films,comics

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Even though it probably wasn't witchcraft per se, her seance did somehow reveal military secrets at war time. That is dangerous to the entire nation, so her arrest did make sense as a matter of national security.
We have such sights to show you!

IF YOU HAVE TIME, VIEW MY VIDEOS (NOT PARANORMAL) AT   https://www.youtube....cGDuiN3AKqdqNpQ

#4 Miraculix

Miraculix

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

So... what was she sentenced to? Prison? Probation? Death by fire?

#5 PIT leader

PIT leader

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:ghost-hunting,videogames,metal and house music,horror films,comics

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

As far as I remember, prison.
We have such sights to show you!

IF YOU HAVE TIME, VIEW MY VIDEOS (NOT PARANORMAL) AT   https://www.youtube....cGDuiN3AKqdqNpQ

#6 chips1310

chips1310

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:All things spooky

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:41 AM

This reminded me of a video clip i watched not long ago ago,it featured 3 women getting beaten then burned alive in a ditch,this happened in Africa,the 3 poor souls were accused of being witches and they met such a violent and terrible death.I certainly wont post a link to the clip on here as it really is quite brutal but can be easily found doing a google search.What staggers me in this day and age there are still countrys who treat so called witches like this.In other countries right now who are in conflict/wars soldiers have been known to eat the hearts of their enemy believing this to give them inner power and make them immortal etc all because a witchdoctor told them this,there is even footage of soldiers armed only with steel pipes pointing it at their enemy and believing they are firing curses.I certainly dont have a great understanding of other peoples upbringings and beliefs but there are some i find just too astounding to believe.
Ignorance is refusing to believe what we dont understand

#7 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

It is a sad, strange world that we live in chips.. It truly frightens me how evil people can be to each other.

#8 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

I wonder if there is an update to this?
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#9 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

it is very interesting, i wonder what happened?!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#10 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

They're still collecting signatures for petition for her pardon. Here's her official website: http://www.helenduncan.org.uk/

Repeal of the Witchcraft Act

In 1944, Duncan was one of the last people convicted under the Witchcraft Act 1735, which made falsely claiming to procure spirits a crime. She was sentenced to nine months' imprisonment. When convicted, she cried out "I have done nothing; is there a God?".
On her release in 1945, Duncan promised to stop conducting séances, but she was arrested during another one in 1956. She died at her home in Edinburgh a short time later. Duncan's trial almost certainly contributed to the repeal of the Witchcraft Act, which was contained in the Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951 promoted by Walter Monslow, Labour Member of Parliament for Barrow-in-Furness. The campaign to repeal the Act had largely been led by Thomas Brooks, another Labour MP, who was a spiritualist. Duncan's original conviction still stood, and it was the subject of a sustained campaign to have it overturned

Descendants and supporters of Duncan have campaigned on several occasions to have her posthumously pardoned of witchcraft charges. Petitions for a posthumous pardon were rejected by the Scottish Parliament in 2001, 2008, and 2012. Duncan's supporters maintain a website and online petition where they continue to campaign for her pardon

Source

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 19 March 2018 - 02:57 PM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop