• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LuvinOuija

LuvinOuija

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

I caught this, one of a series of 4 shots. This was the 3rd picture, the others had absolutely nothing abnormal in them. What do you think?
This was taken on the 2nd floor of the East Cell Block, the catwalk that goes behind the rows of cells.

Thoughts!

Attached Files

• Attached File  GH3.jpg   92.47K   188 downloads

#2 mobycol

mobycol

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:ghosts a longtime ago building computers recycling webcams and old sucurity coulour cams static and trying too remember too buy 60 ft of speaker cable

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostLuvinOuija, on 21 June 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

I caught this, one of a series of 4 shots. This was the 3rd picture, the others had absolutely nothing abnormal in them. What do you think?
This was taken on the 2nd floor of the East Cell Block, the catwalk that goes behind the rows of cells.

Thoughts!

nice photo uplifting

#3 VlawdeGStudy

VlawdeGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,129 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

It looks like some kind of light glare to me
Posted Image

#4 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Well, I have to admit that I wonder when I see photos like this.    Really wonder.   You can say light glare and you may be correct, yet I can propose that an "unknown" is a neutral charge that has connected with another be it positive or negative and at once manifests in what ever form for whatever reason really doesn't matter.    I might further propose that in that moment of connection, there is a spark and that in effect is what is caught in that photo.

Things happen when an "unknown" manifests itself.   One just has to be ready.  lol
The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#5 rubydrake

rubydrake

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

I'm with ya on this one Vlawde.....light glare...

Edited by rubydrake, 23 June 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#6 LuvinOuija

LuvinOuija

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

I would tend to agree with most of you on the "light glare" thing. But, 4 shots, all seconds apart and only 1 shows this image, I am having a real issue with "light glare"  - but I am not ruling it out. I just don't think it is the correct explanation of what this might be.
Perhaps, if I am not talking to air at this point, I could give a hint of my personal theory on "ghost hunting." I am skeptic, through and through. I believe in the possibility of everything and take virtually nothing at face value. I went into a supposed haunted location looking for exactly this photo. I got it, but now I have to take into account many factors (as so noted by replies). But dismissing something as light glare on first impulse is a bit .... irrational. Surely, ghost hunters are scientists (to a degree), right? We can't all jump to conclusions about what is and isn't on 1 piece of evidence, right?
So, with this in mind, would anyone care to take a second look and tell me another something than "light glare"?

Also.... before I began taking the pictures, there wasn't any shiny reflective source, there were no other persons around me taking pictures, I made sure my environment was completely uncontaminated, I was not standing in front of a pane of glass. I take ghost hunting about as seriously as I do breathing. I wouldn't put this picture here if I thought for a second it was something as trivial as "light glare".

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

#7 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostLuvinOuija, on 24 June 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

So, with this in mind, would anyone care to take a second look and tell me another something than "light glare"?
There are alot of professional photographers wandering about here, and if they believe it's light glare, I doubt they have any second opinion about what it is.

Now, I'm by no means a professional anything (despite what my certifications say lol), but personally I don't believe it's light glare.  I imagine you would get a bit of glare from the flash hitting off the metal bars, but the cloudy...blob....at the top part of the pic (further down the hall there) just seems to big too me to be that.  /shrug

Do you still have the other photos as well?  Posting those too may help for comparison purposes.
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#8 LuvinOuija

LuvinOuija

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

View PostSafire973, on 24 June 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

There are alot of professional photographers wandering about here, and if they believe it's light glare, I doubt they have any second opinion about what it is.

Do you still have the other photos as well?  Posting those too may help for comparison purposes.

I do, Safire!!! They are attached, all four shots. Please share your thoughts... I'll believe it IS light glare if someone can tell me how the light was reflected :)
Ok.. I had to edit because they didn't post in the order I took them. The first two that I took were the dark ones, the third is the "ghost" one and the last picture I took shows a red blur where it was. Sorry for my lack of posting knowledge, I do not know how to arrange the photos in order!!!

Attached Files

• Attached File  GH3.jpg   92.47K   59 downloads
  • Attached File  GH4.jpg   84.08K   64 downloads
  • Attached File  Gh1.jpg   69.73K   56 downloads
  • Attached File  GH2.jpg   72.22K   42 downloads

Edited by LuvinOuija, 26 June 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#9 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

View PostLuvinOuija, on 24 June 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

...  But dismissing something as light glare on first impulse is a bit .... irrational ...

On the contrary .. this is the most rational response there is to an image like this.

It looks like light glare ( lens flare ) to the experienced photographers here, based on the years of experience and many thousands of pictures taken by them. Of the four pictures posted here there is evidence of the glare in two of them ( the "red blur" in the fourth shot ). Light glare can be caused by many possible causes, some of them extremely transitory in nature so they don't always show up in more than one image in a sequence. The color even matches the color of the coatings on most lenses. The chances that this is some form of light glare are so good that this is by far the most logical explanation for the effect.

As for what caused it .. there is no way for that to be determined just from this image. Maybe if we were there at the time the image was recorded then that could be figured out. But not knowing what caused the glare in no way rules it out.

#10 Safire973

Safire973

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

If I recall correctly, I'm usually one of those here on the forums who always has an unpopular opinion...lol  I also seem to be a thread killer sometimes, but I digress....

It's interesting to me that it's a gradual lightening of the area.  It's not like it wasn't there one second and POOF!  there it is now.  I'm not familiar enough with lens/light glare to know how it would continue to lighten during the course of taking pictures.  But...shrug...it just doesn't seem like it IS glare to me.

Don't take my opinion as gospel.  I don't know 100% what it is, but I don't think it's glare.
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

#11 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

That's ok .. opinions are good.  :)

As for how it could be different in one picture from another .. that's as simple as a slight change in camera angle, or a change in the intensity of the light causing the glare.

#12 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Not saying whether it's glare or a ghost... but it does have the characteristics of Lens flare. And you don't necessarily see it in every shot. It's just one of those things. Either way, an impressive capture.  :)
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#13 LuvinOuija

LuvinOuija

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:01 AM

Thank you all for your opinions. I posted that picture here to determine once and for all what "it" was, and I will conclude with the rest of you, a fantastic picture of lens glare! Thank you again!!

#14 tuelpchen

tuelpchen

Apport

• GS Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

This might be a naive question, but: how come that the second poster has the questioned picture from the first poster as its avatar pic? I mean, who stole from whom (if at all - no offence)?
It's better to be hated for what you are - then to be loved for what you are not.

#15 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Just to clarify, were these shots taken from an online ghost cam or did you take them on an actual investigation?  I am asking because I am wondering whether or not there are any windows anywhere along that catwalk where a flash of light from a passing car or someone outside could show up?

Also, while the light anomaly is certainly a lot brighter in the first shot, it IS still somewhat apparent in the second shot.  Not to be picky, but for the sake of accuracy it is apparent in two of the four.  I'd love to see shots leading up to the one where the anomaly is most apparent to see if it was there suddenly or if it built up to the bright shot and then waned off.  It would also be interesting to see just how long the whole thing lasted.  If this DID happen on a live investigation it would be interesting to try to recreate it by having someone drive a car down the nearest road while someone inside snaps away to see if the headlights are ever visible.

No amount of rationalization, however, takes away from the fact that as a stand-alone photo, the one with the brightest anomaly in it IS very creepy!  But then, Mansfield Reformatory is a very creepy place, so flare or not it's still scary!  :)

#16 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Coupla things...

When I saw these, I thought bracketed exposure.  So, my question is, did the photographer use different settings for the shots?

Second question is, it appears flash is used in the two lighter ones.  Sometimes, the flash doesn't fire in rapid shots because it needs a bit of time to recharge. Older cameras were more prone to that.  It could be the first two shots were not taken with the flash functioning properly.

As far as the blob goes, it certainly does look like a typical lens flare.  I can't figure out where the light that caused the flare was coming from if this was a dark area.  But, I wasn't there.

Do you recall (If the OP is still reading this) if you noticed any light with your eyes during this time that was inexplicable?

#17 Chris Charles

Chris Charles

Apport

• GS Member
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Anything odd and crazy, who doesn't love a good mystery.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

like most have said, looks like a light glare, but makes an interesting picture :)
Things go bang in the night, but don't be scared.

I do a series of ghost report videos on youtube, feel free to check them out https://www.youtube....y4-p5N_JYw50-SQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users