© Fisana

The Black Hope Horror

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

Imagine yourself and your family buying your first house. You find one that you absolutely adore, in a quiet sub-division in a beautiful neighborhood. Now imagine after moving in strange and unexplained things start to happen. At first it was just a feeling. The sensation on the back of your neck you get when you feel you're being watched. A general gloomy darkness that is experienced in some parts of your home and you start to notice there's cold spots. As if something was trying to get your attention toilets began to flush by themselves. Then the electrical problems that could not be explained occur again and again...........

That was what life was like almost immediately after moving into their new house for Ben and Jean Williams when they moved into their house in 1980. They were not the only ones that had these strange things happen to them.

The Black Hope Curse

Sam and Judith Haney bought their dream home in the upscale subdivision of Newport outside of Houston, Texas, in 1982. They then decided to build a pool in their back yard. That was when things started for them. I don't want to spoil it, so I'll just leave a link here for you to read.

Unsolved Mysteries Black Hope Curse

You really do have to feel for these 2 families. The developers really got away with something there.
The original occupants have left, the Haney's in fact even sued the developer and won only to have the decision overturned by a judge. The had to declare bankruptcy. I have the Unsolved Mysteries set that this is on, and it's really heart breaking to hear the couple talk about. They lost everything. The Haney's were the people that were putting the swimming pool in their back yard and disciver the gravesite of the Johnson's. (I believe that was the name of the family). They even re-buried the couple and decided against putting in their swimming pool.
The Williams' family was the family that lost their healthy 30-year-old daughter to a massive heart attack. They were planning on suing the developers as well, but they were told that without proof there was actually a grave on their property, they didn't have a case. The catch 22 is that it is illegal in Texas to desecrate a known gravesite. Mrs. Johnson decided that she was going to find that proof and started digging. She fell ill and her daughter decided to keep digging. She is apparently one of the victims of the curse.
From what I have read and watched, there are families living in the houses now, and no one has experienced any hauntings.

And for those that are interested, here is a review of "The Black Hope Horror" by John Bruce Shoemaker and the Williams's.

http://www.rambles.net/shoemaker_blackhp93.html

#2 TomorrowAlora

TomorrowAlora

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Horror, fantasy, and real life that is stranger than fiction.

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:03 AM

From what I read, I believe the Haneys were experiencing a psychological haunting. Since they didn't experience anything until after they reburied the bodies, it seems to me they were haunted by their own guilt and fear, rather than any irked spirits. Great story, though, and just my humble opinion on the matter.  tongue0021.gif

Proud member of "The Head-Knockers Club"

Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they aren't here. Just because you can't hear them, doesn't mean they aren't whispering in my ear.

"Disrupting the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it." --Dr. Horrible

#3 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

The story sounded so similar to a made-for-TV movie starring Patty Duke that I had seen a long time ago, so I did a search and voila: Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive (1992).  I would have been 12 when this was shown on TV, so no wonder it kept me up that night!

#4 Ladywilde

Ladywilde

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:I am a 26 year old, happily married lesbian living in CT. I have 2 dogs and waaaaay too many intrests and hobbies....

I write poetry and short stories and am a regular at local open mic nights... I am also an amateur ghost hunter and have been fascinated by the paranormal since I was a kid. I have quiet a few experinces, I have never seen a ghost with my own eyes but I have seen and have been touched by things that were not there.

I also enjoy reading, baking, classic film...

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:11 PM

I have seen that segment, it was inculded in the Unsolved Mysteries 'Ghosts' DVD box set. I thought it was pretty intresting myself.
Posted Image

"I myself am... strange and unusual."

#5 Hunter

Hunter

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Interests:Model Trains, Paranormal research, SCA (SCA.ORG), My family, movies, life in general.

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:37 AM

The majority of the houses all have someone living in them now. I have done several investigations in this area (some even in people’s houses) over the years and except for a few EMF spikes here and there I have yet to actually capture anything.

I have even been in the very house where the Haney’s lived and did not capture a thing on camera or video. I did get a few EMF spikes in several places some I could not explain but 2 were chalked up to faulty wiring in the walls. At the time there was a family with children living in it and they had not experienced anything out of the ordinary but they had heard about the houses and area reputation and were curious.

I did not get to cover the whole neighborhood and many of the residents woudl nto talk to me or if they did they would not talk about the past history of the place. Always changing the subject every time it came up.

NEWPORT, TEXAS (Harris County). Newport, a residential subdivision near Lake Houston, is west of State Highway 2100 and a mile northwest of Crosby in northeastern Harris County. It began in 1972 as a project of the Diamondhead Corporation, a developer of resort projects across the country. The community includes a country club and a marina.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Houston Business Journal, July 24, 1978.

Diana J. Kleiner

Edited by Hunter, 05 March 2007 - 08:48 AM.

Hanging around GS since the late 90's
What is normal and what is real and who are we to decide?

#6 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

Wonder why they didn't want to talk about what happened Hunter..were these people that had always lived in the area, or were they newer residents?

ETA: I had forgotten how much I liked this story!!!

#7 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

Just watched this story again on the ``new```Unsolved Mysteries. It`s a shame that the Haney`s lost everything. They had to declare bankrupcy and were ordered to pay the developer`s court costs as well.

#8 ShadowandLight

ShadowandLight

Apport

• GS Member
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Prolific reader, writing, camping, just lazying around with the friends and talking. I'm an obsessive movie lover as well. A bit of a history nerd. Ok more then a bit. I love going to the gym, and of course the paranormal. Recently started my own personal research into astral projection/OBE's.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(HelenaHandBaskettGStudy @ Jan 21 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just watched this story again on the ``new```Unsolved Mysteries. It`s a shame that the Haney`s lost everything. They had to declare bankrupcy and were ordered to pay the developer`s court costs as well.

That's a shame. I would think withholding any information about a house from the purchaser which may at least have psychological effects on the people buying should be grounds to leave fairly.

Perhaps what hurt them is that no future residents had any publicly admitted issues?

#9 rockfairy

rockfairy

Orb

• GS Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

i also saw this on unsolved mysteries. i would be so horrified to find out that my house was built on top of someone's grave. not because of the potential paranormal stuff that might happen but to know that i was assisting in disturbing someone's final resting place. those poor people - both the dead and the people who had to abandon their homes...
QUOTE(ShadowandLight @ Jan 21 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a shame. I would think withholding any information about a house from the purchaser which may at least have psychological effects on the people buying should be grounds to leave fairly.Perhaps what hurt them is that no future residents had any publicly admitted issues?
when my parents were trying buying their house, one of the places we checked out was really cold even though it was august and it didn't have air conditioning. i jokingly asked the agent if she knew if the house was haunted and she said that she didn't know but if my parents were interested in the house, she could check into any reports that it might be. she said that it was actually the real estate agent's duty to report any such things to potential home owners, whether it be ghosts in the stairwells, disturbed gaves in the backyard or even if someone had died on the property.

#10 ShadowandLight

ShadowandLight

Apport

• GS Member
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Prolific reader, writing, camping, just lazying around with the friends and talking. I'm an obsessive movie lover as well. A bit of a history nerd. Ok more then a bit. I love going to the gym, and of course the paranormal. Recently started my own personal research into astral projection/OBE's.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(rockfairy @ Jan 21 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i also saw this on unsolved mysteries. i would be so horrified to find out that my house was built on top of someone's grave. not because of the potential paranormal stuff that might happen but to know that i was assisting in disturbing someone's final resting place. those poor people - both the dead and the people who had to abandon their homes...when my parents were trying buying their house, one of the places we checked out was really cold even though it was august and it didn't have air conditioning. i jokingly asked the agent if she knew if the house was haunted and she said that she didn't know but if my parents were interested in the house, she could check into any reports that it might be. she said that it was actually the real estate agent's duty to report any such things to potential home owners, whether it be ghosts in the stairwells, disturbed gaves in the backyard or even if someone had died on the property.

I did a bit of research on it (ok I just googled  th_sarcastic_blum.gif ) and apparently it's not a legal obligation to reveal any potential psychological impairments to a future buyer. It is, however, a pretty huge moral obligation that most real estate agents adhere too. Its supposedly taught in their classes to do so. From what I can gather though, if it is out right asked and the agent lies that can be grounds for reneging. Of course you can't just ask 'Is the house haunted?' and expect the agent to not only believe in ghosts but to believe that the house comes with them. But you can ask if the house was built on a burial ground, if anyone died there in the past, if anything significantly traumatic occurred on the grounds or the house, etc.

I'm getting this from a website which is paraphrasing a bit but supposedly the law reads somewhere along the lines of: "Information about social conditions or psychological impairments of a property is not considered information which affects the physical condition of a property. Licensees are not required to disclose such information."  And that "the term 'psychological impairments' includes, but is not limited to, a murder or suicide which occurred on a property, or a property purportedly being haunted."

I suppose the best thing one can do is to take some time to do a bit of private research on any land/property you plan to buy. Check the history of the community, past residents if the house had any previous occupants, talk to the neighbors and just ask a lot of questions. Here is a website on how not to buy a haunted house, and how to take the neccessary steps in order to insure you have a case for non-disclosure if the agent withholds information. http://blogs.propertyfinder.com/outthere/2..._how_not_t.html

Apparently, you have to ask and they have to answer truthfully, but they are not obligated to volunteer the information. Getting it in writing is probably a plus as well. And asking specific questions instead of 'OH MY GOSH is it haunted!!' will probably gain more of a response.

There was an incident near my location where a family literally ran for their lives from the house they were renting, and the landlord refused to let them out of their lease. They were just going to take the hit on their record when one of those haunting shows on tv (I think Discovery?) wanted to do an hour special on their story. Once they agreed the landlord had an amazing about face. I think he just wanted to avoid any bad press.

#11 Twistedsister

Twistedsister

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:http://medusa1313.deviantart.com/

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

Hya HHB

I loved this story hun..............................

I enjoy reading and finding out about true life stories like this !

Even more so when you havent heard anything about them in the first place  
: innocent0005.gif

Edited by Twistedsister, 24 January 2009 - 06:42 AM.

It is better to have loved and lost.............. Than not loved at all........

RIP................DRAGONRIDER

Once you're a Monster, you'll be always a Monster. Nothing is going to send your crimes and your sins away. Remember that... because Heaven will always deny you mercy, but Hell is going to take you as a beloved Child. And that's what you are: a Child of Doom and Evil, A Mistress of Darkness !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users